Jump to content

Women in football


Smith's right boot

Recommended Posts

Stupid Sexy Flanders
8 minutes ago, jager man said:

Playing boys is about helping them to be pushed by a better team. No problem there. Also with the 8-0 who cares. Why does everyone want to highlight how they got pumped. Maybe the girls were happy with that result. Maybe they played better football at times but just weren't strong enough. Could you compare a 15 year old Usain bolt (junior world champ) with and Olympic womens sprinter. Bolt was 1 sec quicker. Or would we compare them.? Seems to be it's just football we have an issue with comparing sexes.

 

 

It's not about comparing them, it's about whether or not it's possible for them to compete in the same teams. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
jager man
1 minute ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

 

It's not about comparing them, it's about whether or not it's possible for them to compete in the same teams. 

Yeah I agree the original topic was about women playing in mens team. But the poster compared male teams to female teams. At the moment hearts under 11s girls play in a boys league for there age group. Let the girls play (probably get beat a lot but learn a lot)  and get better. Let them enjoy the sport and be judged against other girls. Not some male dinosaurs deciding because the can't beat an average boys team they won't make it in football.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Wee Mikey
2 hours ago, Cade said:

16 or 40 years old, male or female, black or white or brown or anything else, catholic or protestant or muslim or scientologist, 6 foot 6 or 5 foot nowt, none of that pish matters.

 

 

All that matters is are they good enough at football.

 

 

Precisely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
maroonedinoz

There may very well be women who are not up to the standard of the men's game.

 

But they shouldn't be denied the opportunity to show that

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mauricio Pinilla
8 hours ago, Gorgiewave said:

I wouldn't be surprised if a certain number of women in a team became mandatory.

 

Ability is no longer the main criterion in much of society.

 

Aye that's what'll happen :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
16 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I've been involved with ladies football and I can see the benefit of this in areas where there are insufficient numbers to make up a league of ladies teams or simply to get a ladies team playing regularly. 

Other than that, I cannot foresee how this is going to be a regular thing : women just don't have the strength to compete with men and even more rarely do they have the skill levels. In the ten years or so I was involved I only ever saw two ladies good/strong enough but they were outstanding and went on to play pro level in England. 

 

Agree, very few will make it but imo they should be given the opportunity. 

 

Opportunity v are women any good are two different debates. 

 

Tbh Very few men actually make it either, but they are given the opportunity. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Potter
6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

 

Agree, very few will make it but imo they should be given the opportunity. 

 

Opportunity v are women any good are two different debates. 

 

Tbh Very few men actually make it either, but they are given the opportunity. 

 

 

 

Sometimes its down to luck or who you know, bit like a lot of jobs in life.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Sometimes its down to luck or who you know, bit like a lot of jobs in life.

 

100%, but I've no issue with it, like many, tho, I can't see many making it to our top level. 

 

You do get fast, strong women, I'd bet many top women athletes are fitter/ faster than many men players at a lower/ PT level but then if that's their ceiling what's the point? 

They'd be better in the women's only game. 

 

Again, imo opportunity should not be denied based on sex, in fact if challenged in court it wouldn't. 

 

 

Edited by Smith's right boot
Link to post
Share on other sites
Pans Jambo
14 hours ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

There are some really good woman players out their, however for me the goalkeeping raises question marks. I know it won't happen that quickly but can you imagine Ronaldo smashing the ball towards a female keeper? It would got straight through her, pretty much like what we had to watch with Pereira.

What is it exactly about women goalkeepers? REALLY REALLY BAD keepers. Every last one of them. Utter pish.

 

Anyway, womens football is not something I am personally interested in but I have ZERO issue with it. A mixed team in the top 2 leagues wont happen. They are just not good enough, fast enough or strong enough against men n my opinion. the bottom 2 or a part-time team perhaps but not the top leagues. If they were good enough I would be OK with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
4 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

What is it exactly about women goalkeepers? REALLY REALLY BAD keepers. Every last one of them. Utter pish.

 

Anyway, womens football is not something I am personally interested in but I have ZERO issue with it. A mixed team in the top 2 leagues wont happen. They are just not good enough, fast enough or strong enough against men n my opinion. the bottom 2 or a part-time team perhaps but not the top leagues. If they were good enough I would be OK with it.

 

I'm here as well. 

 

The keepers bring down their whole game imo, a game can be OK then the goalies make it look shite. 

Even a good goal looks shite in the end. 

 

IMO the goals need to be a bit smaller, it reminds me of a children's team playing in full size goals, just not right. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ron Burgundy

If there was no gender separation in sport and the likes of tennis, football, rugby, athletics and such were all mixed then you would never hear of a top woman athlete ever again.

 

It needs to stay separate for their own good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Wee Mikey
54 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

If there was no gender separation in sport and the likes of tennis, football, rugby, athletics and such were all mixed then you would never hear of a top woman athlete ever again.

 

It needs to stay separate for their own good.

Yes you would!!!

 

Mind you, it might lead to all sorts of naughty non-PC stuff ... as if it is not bad enough already. 😄

 

I'm happy to have grown up when releasing videos like this didn't result in a sanctimonious twitter-storm ... (I totally admire and respect Katie Archibald and her cycling mates, so dinnae think I'm being in any way mysoginistic) Just having a giggle. But, methinks these days you'd get absolutely torn to shreds by the PC brigade.

 

See? Girls CAN ride bikes. 😉

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Potter
2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

 

100%, but I've no issue with it, like many, tho, I can't see many making it to our top level. 

 

You do get fast, strong women, I'd bet many top women athletes are fitter/ faster than many men players at a lower/ PT level but then if that's their ceiling what's the point? 

They'd be better in the women's only game. 

 

Again, imo opportunity should not be denied based on sex, in fact if challenged in court it wouldn't. 

 

 

Good post bud.👍,

Link to post
Share on other sites
luckydug
15 hours ago, tian447 said:

Nah, sorry, this doesn't help anybody.  It definitely doesn't help Women's football improve, and could take funding away from dedicated Women's teams.  Not many women are going to make the breakthrough at a high level, so what is the point in them trying to push this?  There are some sports where it is feasible to have mixed teams, but unfortunately football just isn't one of them.

 

Imagine they brought quotas in - you'd end up with people there to tick a box instead of being there on merit or ability, and people who genuinely have worked hard and end up getting left out.  There should be more mixed coaching staff, and mixed training could also be a realistic approach, but when it comes to games, it's just not going to work.

 

What would help, is more money being diverted into Women's football and allowing the game to start to catch up to a decent level.  However, look at the seethe fest it caused on here when Hearts Women were on the end of a relatively minimal cash injection of £100,000 from the club.

Your last paragraph was mainly the serial moaners and whingers that infest this forum. 

I suppose all clubs have their share of these kind of people. 

Most people will take it for what it is, a chance for women to participate at their own level. As the they do in Tennis, golf, swimming etc. We'll worth their place in professional sport and good entertainment imo. 

I don't think it would do anyone any good to mix the two groups. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Potter
4 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Your last paragraph was mainly the serial moaners and whingers that infest this forum. 

I suppose all clubs have their share of these kind of people. 

Most people will take it for what it is, a chance for women to participate at their own level. As the they do in Tennis, golf, swimming etc. We'll worth their place in professional sport and good entertainment imo. 

I don't think it would do anyone any good to mix the two groups. 

Just look at the womens golf now, love watching them play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ron Burgundy
1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

Just look at the womens golf now, love watching them play.

I don't really follow golf at all but do women not have a different tee making holes shorter? Again I have no idea if the standard is as drastically different as say football.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I don't really follow golf at all but do women not have a different tee making holes shorter? Again I have no idea if the standard is as drastically different as say football.

 

 

th.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I don't really follow golf at all but do women not have a different tee making holes shorter? Again I have no idea if the standard is as drastically different as say football.

Aye they play of forward tees making the distances shorter, but the likes of Laura Davies

can hit a drive over 280 yards so keeping up with the blokes , slightly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3fingersreid
15 hours ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

 

What was the score? I've always thought that would be quite interesting, take the best women's team and have them play Cowdenbeath or something, just to see how they'd get on. I'd watch that game. 

Game was a year ago tonight against U17’s and resulted in a heavy 7-0 defeat , and also resulted in a bad injury to our captain which didn’t help our promotion bid 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
5 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

If there was no gender separation in sport and the likes of tennis, football, rugby, athletics and such were all mixed then you would never hear of a top woman athlete ever again.

 

It needs to stay separate for their own good.

 

 

You make a valid point, most women even if the best would likely be better off in their own sport, however if a women footballer is able she should be able to play in the men's if she wants. 

Her decision to kick about in a lower league team than say play for a top women's side. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ron Burgundy
16 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

 

 

You make a valid point, most women even if the best would likely be better off in their own sport, however if a women footballer is able she should be able to play in the men's if she wants. 

Her decision to kick about in a lower league team than say play for a top women's side. 

And for equality should a man who failed to make the grade as a pro in the mans game not be given the chance to make cash playing for a top womens team? If it's only about ability then fairs fair.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Nookie Bear
2 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

And for equality should a man who failed to make the grade as a pro in the mans game not be given the chance to make cash playing for a top womens team? If it's only about ability then fairs fair.

 

To be honest i am surprised there has not been more Caster Semenya style instances in the women's game. Suspect that will happen as the rewards grow more attractive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Smith's right boot
2 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

And for equality should a man who failed to make the grade as a pro in the mans game not be given the chance to make cash playing for a top womens team? If it's only about ability then fairs fair.

 

Could be a debate and then brings about the whole merging together, making it harder for women In General to succeed in any sport 

 

Interesting to see how things develop. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
sassenach

I think the relative ability of women might depend on team formation and position played.

 

I've read stuff on men and women and primeval instincts, along the lines of men used to hunt so focus mainly on the target while women used to guard the cave, children and food so therefore have better awareness of what is around. Apparently these instincts are hard wired and persist to a degree today.

 

I can see a situation where a woman with these instincts could fit into a formation where she receives the ball in midfield and then picks killer passes, having stronger more physical players around her as "minders". This already happens with some older male players who no longer have the legs but can can still control a game just by positioning and awareness. It might be a long shot, but I can see women perhaps competing on equal terms in this sort of scenario.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Women's football is completely taking off across the globe and can be huge in its own right. 

 

No need to start changing things now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...