Making a patio

The Brow

I've got a sort of courtyard at the end of my garden. Approx 7m x 7m. Its covered in stones just now and under it is concrete. Its not flat, cracked in parts and a slight slope. 

I'm going to lay some slabs on it and stick a big shed down, but first, is it okay to level it off with compacted stone dust then cement the slabs on top? 

Been quoted anything from £1300 - £2000 for a builder to do it so **** that, I'll do it myself. 

9 hours ago, The Brow said:

I've got a sort of courtyard at the end of my garden. Approx 7m x 7m. Its covered in stones just now and under it is concrete. Its not flat, cracked in parts and a slight slope. 

I'm going to lay some slabs on it and stick a big shed down, but first, is it okay to level it off with compacted stone dust then cement the slabs on top? 

Been quoted anything from £1300 - £2000 for a builder to do it so **** that, I'll do it myself. 

Depends on how deep the crusher dust is. If too deep it will sink, more at the end where it is deepest. 

I used to work in civils, not for last 10 years though. The beat thing would be to do a concrete base for the shed. Or break up the old concrete that is there first then you could possibly build it level with type 1 (hard core). If that's the path you are going down, ensure that it is properly compacted with a vibrating plate before building on it.

If the slore isn't too severe, them you could possibly go with the type 1 route, but make sure it is spread over a wider area than what the shed base is.

17 hours ago, moshy said:

Have you looked into using an ecobase? Instead of the cost and hard graft laying slabs.

Ill have a look now thanks

@Superjack - thanks for the info - neighbour has a compactor so all good. Thanks 

Howdy Doody Jambo
23 hours ago, The Brow said:

That's an extortionate quote, much better doing it yourself with a bit job satisfaction 

7 hours ago, The Brow said:

Ill have a look now thanks

@Superjack - thanks for the info - neighbour has a compactor so all good. Thanks 

I’ve got  about 40 square metres spare. 👍

1 hour ago, rudiatemyhamster said:

Make a decking - so much nicer to sit on

Yep just made a huge raised deck in the back garden. Not that hard to do really, providing you plan it properly. 

14 hours ago, rudiatemyhamster said:

Make a decking - so much nicer to sit on

I'm wanting to put a massive shed on it with my bikes inside so it needs to have anchored security drilled into the concrete base. 

rudiatemyhamster
13 hours ago, The Brow said:

I'm wanting to put a massive shed on it with my bikes inside so it needs to have anchored security drilled into the concrete base. 

Is that motorbikes? Or bicycles.  Just interested as a bicycle owner.  My friend used to own motorbikes in London but just gave up as they got stolen so frequently.  Apparently they just lift them in to the back of trucks in broad daylight.  Any resistance is defeated with professional  cutting equipment.

On 02/07/2020 at 14:51, The Brow said:

Was the quote for labour only?

I'd get a couple more quotes. We had a basic 10' square patio put down to put a summerhouse on top of, and as I remember it cost around £600 including materials. Took two guys about four hours to make.