Christophe Berra - Testimonial

Bunny Munro

Bunny Munro

If he stays for next year he will have played in 10 different seasons for us. 6 before he left, and 4 since coming back. 

It's also been 15 years since he won the cup with us (unused sub).

There would obviously be a discussion about whether or not he'd get a testimonial but if he does I hope we do a Hearts XI Vs Cup Winners XI again. 

Just a thought.

5 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

If he stays for next year he will have played in 10 different seasons for us. 6 before he left, and 4 since coming back. 

There would obviously be a discussion about whether or not he'd get a testimonial but if he does I hope we do a Hearts XI Vs Cup Winners XI again. 

Just a thought.

Maybe a game vs Wolves, Which wouldn't be too bad considering they've got some pretty good players just now.

I'd be happy to support him in a testimonial. Whilst I'd say his best years are past and I don't really want him in the team anymore, he's been a fantastic servant to the club and deserves his recognition as such. 

I don't think effort was his problem it was a case of " the mind was willing but the body wasn't ". As has been said many times after the injury he was feked.  Still I would not have any probs in giving him a testimonial. 

Tennant's  6's

Wouldn't mind him having a testimonial, but he is one of the players that are still at the club that I'd like to see leave,  by 'mutual consent' and with no pay off whatsoever.

That injury two yrs ago done him & he's no captain/ leader.

The things about him leaving straight away from training and having a go at young lads to cover up his own failings just reinforce that belief unfortunately.  

Would defo be up for his testimonial, regardless of opposition. Very good servant of The Famous. 

CB has Always given of his best in a hearts shirt. He has been a tremendous pro as evidenced by his recovery to play from that injury at his age. He has always represented the club professionally on and off the park. Loyalty is all too rare in modern football. Many would have spat the dummy after the way Stendel stuck him with the youths to train. Which I think was a needlessly harsh move. He should be recognised By the club

6 hours ago, Tennant's 6's said:

Wouldn't mind him having a testimonial, but he is one of the players that are still at the club that I'd like to see leave,  by 'mutual consent' and with no pay off whatsoever.

That injury two yrs ago done him & he's no captain/ leader.

The things about him leaving straight away from training and having a go at young lads to cover up his own failings just reinforce that belief unfortunately.  

This with bells on. What Robbie decides to do with Berra will be a huge commentary on where we're going as a club. Hope he makes the correct calls.

Think he rediscovered form at Dundee and think he will stroll the championship. Hoping the layoff will have allowed his body to heal and he comes back a different player. If he is even 75% the player he was then he will be fine for the championship

6 hours ago, hisnameis said:

CB has Always given of his best in a hearts shirt. He has been a tremendous pro as evidenced by his recovery to play from that injury at his age. He has always represented the club professionally on and off the park. Loyalty is all too rare in modern football. Many would have spat the dummy after the way Stendel stuck him with the youths to train. Which I think was a needlessly harsh move. He should be recognised By the club

Agreed 100%

100% deserves it assuming he stays on. 

Always gave his all, even if more recently it wasn't enough. His only chance at playing would be in the middle of a back 3 now you'd think. 

gorgie rd eh11
11 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Should have a massive game of hoofball in tribute to him

Tedious.

13 hours ago, Kendoll said:

I'd be happy to support him in a testimonial. Whilst I'd say his best years are past and I don't really want him in the team anymore, he's been a fantastic servant to the club and deserves his recognition as such. 

I agree with this.

No harm meant, but testimonials were originally intended as a financial boost for players who stayed with one club for the substantial part of their career and missed out on the benefits of signing on fees and cuts in any transfer fee - Henry Smith, Neil Berry, Walter Kidd and Gary Mackay being prime examples, or players who had their career shortened significantly through injury and lost out on potential earnings - Craig Levein. Christophe is an ex English Premiership player who will most likely never need to work again if he has been sensible; Henry became a postman.  

part_time_jambo
13 hours ago, Bunny Munro said:

Just a thought.

Testimonials should only be given to players who play for 10 consecutive years for the club, or have their career ended prematurely by injury. Why reward a player who hasn't shown the club loyalty - leaving and making big money elsewhere offsets the lack of a testimonial.

Edit: just read HenryHearts post above. Great minds.

Edited by part_time_jambo

3fingersreid
12 minutes ago, henryheart said:

No harm meant, but testimonials were originally intended as a financial boost for players who stayed with one club for the substantial part of their career and missed out on the benefits of signing on fees and cuts in any transfer fee - Henry Smith, Neil Berry, Walter Kidd and Gary Mackay being prime examples, or players who had their career shortened significantly through injury and lost out on potential earnings - Craig Levein. Christophe is an ex English Premiership player who will most likely never need to work again if he has been sensible; Henry became a postman.  

1 minute ago, part_time_jambo said:

Testimonials should only be given to players who play for 10 consecutive years for the club, or have their career ended prematurely by injury. Why reward a player who hasn't shown the club loyalty - leaving and making big money elsewhere offsets the lack of a testimonial.

Edit: just read HenryHearts post above. Great minds.

100% this for me .

20 minutes ago, henryheart said:

Refreshingly sensible.

Brace yourself mate.

23 minutes ago, henryheart said:

I agree. 

Another aspect of Berra's dip in form that I'd like to address, and seems poignant to do so today, is the lack of confidence in a number 1. Anyone who has played as a centre half at any sort of level, will know how important it is to have a solid keeper behind them. Berra had to play in front of 3 keepers in the last 2 seasons, none of the 3 overly convincing.

Haringshairband
3 hours ago, henryheart said:

Agree with this

Would be great for him as he has been fantastic throughout his Hearts career. Unfortunately the last year or so have been really bad, i just can't see us getting an other season out him.

15 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Try to be positive once in a while.  It'll feel good.  :thumb:

No-one at the Club today deserves a testimonial more than Berra.

Bazzas right boot
15 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

:yas:

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, henryheart said:

100%, but nowadays a testimonial is often  held to celebrate the landmark with the player and the money can be gifted to another cause, usually a charity chosen by the player.

17 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

If he makes it he would absolutely deserve a testimonial. Its not even up for debate.

Where I am. Loves this club and, though he’s struggled latterly after injury he’s earned it. Having bomb scare keepers behind him hasn’t helped

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

100%, but nowadays a testimonial is often  held to celebrate the landmark with the player and the money can be gifted to another cause, usually a charity chosen by the player.

I was about to post the same

Jambo 4 Ever
4 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

If it’s for charity then a good idea!

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, RobNox said:

I was about to post the same

56 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

If it’s for charity then a good idea!

Id have no problem either way tbh, he'll be well off but hardly a superstar taking home millions and millions like the "elite" players. 

Diadora Van Basten

Berra will benefit from having Gordon back, Robbie back as manager and hopefully Damour dropped from losing the ball in dangerous positions.

Absolutely for a Testimonial. However i would like to see what Robbie N can get out of him. His confidence was well shot when he went. I think having him and Gordon in goals could make the difference for him. 

Mr Elwood P
7 hours ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Would be great for him as he has been fantastic throughout his Hearts career. Unfortunately the last year or so have been really bad, i just can't see us getting an other season out him.

We’re going to be playing in The Championship, where Berra has just help keep a number of clean sheets with Dundee. He’ll be a brilliant asset for the 2020/21 season. Leave as a league winner and have a testimonial for him ...

7 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Where I am. Loves this club and, though he’s struggled latterly after injury he’s earned it. Having bomb scare keepers behind him hasn’t helped

Im daring myself to believe this might be the case. Only brave enough to whisper it at present though. 😄

52 minutes ago, Kenbo said:

I think having him and Gordon in goals could make the difference for him.

Goalkeeping partnership? **** it, we are Hearts, and we will do as we please. 😏

He may well be back to his best with a solid goalkeeper behind him and no nervous meltdown due to Levein and our prior form.

8 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Goalkeeping partnership? **** it, we are Hearts, and we will do as we please. 😏

I meant Robbie in an Gordon in goals, but that’s not a bad shout 😂