Hearts 5 Man City 1

EIEIO

I was there near front of the Wheatfield Stand and Richard Edghill kicked the ball into the stand smashing my mate in the face - it was a peach and made all the more amusing as my mate had a fag in his mouth at the time that went everywhere 

Салатные палочки
3 hours ago, The Merse said:

I sat behind the goals in the school end that day.

Did we play Coventry around the same time and beat them too?

I’ve bizarrely held this image in my head of Dave Beasant playing for City that day for years. Seems my memory has been playing tricks on me and that not only did he not play against Hearts that day, he’s never even played for City. I’ve been living a lie apparently for most of my adult life :rofl:

Coventry game was later, maybe October time for Levein's testimonial. It was a Sunday game and I think we had been pumped 3-0 at Killie the day before. Really poor turn out. To be honest I only really went because I was getting the new away strip that day. 

5 hours ago, The Merse said:

I sat behind the goals in the school end that day.

Did we play Coventry around the same time and beat them too?

I’ve bizarrely held this image in my head of Dave Beasant playing for City that day for years. Seems my memory has been playing tricks on me and that not only did he not play against Hearts that day, he’s never even played for City. I’ve been living a lie apparently for most of my adult life :rofl:

We played Coventry around then in a testimonial for a certain Craig Levein. I was at the game - it was a Sunday game, the attendance was terrible and they hammered us. 

Don’t know why but I thought it was Gary Flitcroft that scored for them.

My memory of that game was a so called Jambo slaughtering John Colquhoun every time he touched the ball. **** knows what his issue with him was. The prick even sat with his head in his hands when JC scored his two goals.

He eventually shut up when the guy in front of him told him he would be eating his teeth for dinner if he didn’t shut the **** up 😂

13 hours ago, stirlo said:

Yes - the Newcastle fans were all in the Gorgie Road end which was still the old terracing with the seats fitted. I think they had just signed Les Ferdinand. IIRC Peter Beardsley scored their goal with a header.

Beardsley strolled through that game. Was it not Jim Jefferies first as manager? Also remember their fans singing "we're in the cheap seats", and was it the first game of the Roseburn stand? 

south morocco

Remember playing Spurs pre season after Italia 90, Lineker played, don’t think Gascoigne did tho, full house if I remember.

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, south morocco said:

Remember playing Spurs pre season after Italia 90, Lineker played, don’t think Gascoigne did tho, full house if I remember.

Gascoigne was subbed to a massive applause.

richierich
7 hours ago, stirlo said:

We played Coventry around then in a testimonial for a certain Craig Levein. I was at the game - it was a Sunday game, the attendance was terrible and they hammered us. 

Was that the game where there had been a rugby match at Tynecastle just before it, I remember the rugby lines where still visible on the pitch and Gary Locke trying to take a throw in on the pitch at the wrong lines?  Or was that another game? 

I remember Walsh playing at Tynecastle and he spent the whole game flirting and winking and smiling at a rather attractive police woman on track duty

Pretty sure it was Spurs we were playing though.

Doctor FinnBarr
On 29/05/2020 at 18:01, EIEIO said:

In the 80s there was a alliance of sorts between Hearts and Man City fans particularly between Ardmillan Hearts and City fans. Group of us from Lithgae went on a bus to Maine Road leaving Ardmillian just after midnight on a Friday. Bus fare includes a bottle of pomagne if I recall.

Shame City have become what they hated ie another Man United style plastic club for tourists.

Was it not Longstone Hearts? I certainly went on the Longstone bus to a City v Everton game in the early 80s on a SC weekend when we'd went out early. Ended up 1 each if anyone wants to hunt out when it actually was.

Fuzzy was in charge of the bus.

Edited by FinnBarr Saunders

Tommy Brown
7 hours ago, richierich said:

Was that the game where there had been a rugby match at Tynecastle just before it, I remember the rugby lines where still visible on the pitch and Gary Locke trying to take a throw in on the pitch at the wrong lines?  Or was that another game? 

Had another flashback

This was after the 98 WC.

John Collins started for us. He got a good reception and waved back when the team was announced.

Craig Levein kicked off the match, he could barely walk. Was totally surprised as we believed the season before, he may still return.

7 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Was it not Longstone Hearts? I certainly went on the Longstone bus to a City v Everton game in the early 80s on a SC weekend when we'd went out early. Ended up 1 each if anyone wants to hunt out when it actually was.

Fuzzy was in charge of the bus.

We went to City v Palace , it was the last league game of the season just before they played Spurs in FA cup final. Final went to a replay known as the Ricky Villa final. Left Ardmillian at about 2am.

Carl Fredrickson

I always thought that Fitzroy Simpson played for City that day but not according to London Hearts. After the game I thought we would have a great season but we had some dross in the squad at that time. 

Re the Newcastle game, it was my first game in the School End stand and had a great view of the goal. IIRC we were on the attack and Beardsley collected the ball at the edge of his own box that started a move ending up with him scoring a peach of a shot into the Gorgie Road goal (could be a mile off with this memory)

Also the Newcastle signing announced that day in my mind was Shaka Hislop. Being a keeper at the time too I was hoping to see him play but he didnt. Sure it was a Czeck that played in goal for them. They did have a cracking team at the time

Edited by Carl Fredrickson

Remember this game well.

City fans in the main stand were singing ‘What’s it like to be Outclassed’ after the 5th went in 🤣

My Hearts season ticket was in the old main stand, years later when I moved to the North of England years later I had a City season ticket in the Kippax.

The 2 finest clubs football has to offer.

HHGH

On 30/05/2020 at 00:08, EIEIO said:

Think City were the main club in Manchester until the Munich air disaster. United also kicked on when George Best  played for them in the 60s and attracted big numbers from outwith the North West of England  , they still do to be fair. There were some huge crowds at Maine Road in the old terracing days if you look back. City hibsed it big time falling as low as the third tier however, since Ferguson left United have played second fiddle again. I don't have much interest in any English sides now though , just enjoying some nostalgia.

That’s a bit of a lie Man City fans like to believe. I got into a dispute about it with someone a while back and childishly checked all the attendance figures going back decades and United have had bigger crowds every year since 1947. Including the years they played at Maine Road as Old Trafford was rebuilt after being bombed. 

10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

That’s a bit of a lie Man City fans like to believe. I got into a dispute about it with someone a while back and childishly checked all the attendance figures going back decades and United have had bigger crowds every year since 1947. Including the years they played at Maine Road as Old Trafford was rebuilt after being bombed. 

It seems so.  In terms of trophies Man U had won 7 titles to City’s 2 up til 1968 and no one won another until Ferguson started on his dominance with MU.  

Tommy Brown
7 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I always thought that Fitzroy Simpson played for City that day but not according to London Hearts. After the game I thought we would have a great season but we had some dross in the squad at that time. 

Re the Newcastle game, it was my first game in the School End stand and had a great view of the goal. IIRC we were on the attack and Beardsley collected the ball at the edge of his own box that started a move ending up with him scoring a peach of a shot into the Gorgie Road goal (could be a mile off with this memory)

Also the Newcastle signing announced that day in my mind was Shaka Hislop. Being a keeper at the time too I was hoping to see him play but he didnt. Sure it was a Czeck that played in goal for them. They did have a cracking team at the time

Screenshot_2020-05-31-16-43-23-988_com.android.chrome.png

Carl Fredrickson
12 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Screenshot_2020-05-31-16-43-23-988_com.android.chrome.png

Cheers. Paul Kitson and Keith Gillespie offered so much pace with Beardsley and Ginola offering a touch of class. Defenders that liked to push forward and the keeper Srnicek was decent too. Sure he was a bit of a legend with their fans but passed away a couple of years ago. 

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

It seems so.  In terms of trophies Man U had won 7 titles to City’s 2 up til 1968 and no one won another until Ferguson started on his dominance with MU.  

Think Man Utd have only won the league with 3 Scottish managers.

Could be wrong though.

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

You've spoiled it with your facts I could muddy the waters with stadium capacity etc (Old Trafford has been higher this milenium and probably post Taylor report) however that would be churlish.

Anecdotally though , I lived in Surrey between 1983 and 1986 and never met a single Man City fan. Locals supporting Man United ( and Liverpool) were as common as sewer rats.  

On 29/05/2020 at 17:29, kingantti1874 said:

Always remember Nicky Summerbee Jnr playing in that game.. not got a clue why..

I met a few of their fans outside who were absolute bellends which led to a lifetime dislike of city.. 

why do you call him jnr ? was his auld mans name no Mike ?