SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

Footballfirst

I don't think that Dave Cormack can have tried to go to an Aberdeen cinema recently.

Which cinemas in Aberdeen are actually open right now? The biggies closed I assume

Cineworld at Union Square and Aberdeen beach both temporarily closed. Vue cinema temporarily closed. Belmont cinema house announced this week not opening until January at the earliest. Peterhead’s cinemas is open though.

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

I don't think that Dave Cormack can have tried to go to an Aberdeen cinema recently.

Which cinemas in Aberdeen are actually open right now? The biggies closed I assume

Cineworld at Union Square and Aberdeen beach both temporarily closed. Vue cinema temporarily closed. Belmont cinema house announced this week not opening until January at the earliest. Peterhead’s cinemas is open though.

Only in Scotland a few days every decade. 

The Treasurer
12 minutes ago, Goodfella said:

STV Raman just tweeted spectator sports to be given 30mill+ in loans and grants. Premiership clubs to be given money via a loan whilst lower leagues will come via a grant.

So the likes of St midden and the vermin will have to pay any monies back but we don't. 

😊

2 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

So the likes of St midden and the vermin will have to pay any monies back but we don't. 

😊

And a lot more to come on this. 

Nice timing with a Scottish Cup final to come, one that involved eliminating Hibs. 

Guest ToqueJambo

16 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

😊

Such is life at the "elite" level.

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Funnily enough, Doncaster's puppet master has gone awfully quiet on this issue recently.

Do they not get it? Do they not think the Scottish Government watches the news and sees hundreds of celtic fans rioting outside?

Celtic ruined last season in their haste to win yet another tainted title and they are now responsible more than anyone else for stopping the reintroduction of fans into Scottish football grounds this season.

I apprecite there are not many clubs in Tier 1 areas but these should be where fans are allowed back in, and then possible look to Tier 2 as well.

Would you want these revolting ***** back in so they could protest about you? 
Edinburgh still being  in tier 3 and not getting any nearer having fans in doesn’t look like changing soon. 
Time for Doncaster to STFU he’s not helping the situation at all. 

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Would you want these revolting ***** back in so they could protest about you? 
Edinburgh still being  in tier 3 and not getting any nearer having fans in doesn’t look like changing soon. 
Time for Doncaster to STFU he’s not helping the situation at all. 

No where near Level 1 

Maybe just in time for end of season 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
47 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Allowing fans back isn’t going to help revenue... at least not until home AND away fans are allowed. That’s not happening until next year at the earliest!

Limited fans getting back will be ST holders who have already paid their money... and it cost clubs revenue to allow this. 

I very much doubt the sabre rattling to get a limited number of fans back into the grounds is anything more than window dressing to give the impression the clubs' boards are fighting on behalf of the supporters. As has been pointed out so often, every club doing this would lose money, and it's really only Celtic who could afford to, so allowing fans back would only strengthen Celtic on the domestic front.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

No where near Level 1 

Maybe just in time for end of season 

We have just about the same numbers as tier 2 and are nowhere near that either, end of the season so whichever one of the uglies can celebrate a title win and the Euros not long after in Glasgow ironically enough. 

1 hour ago, Hackney Hearts said:

👍 Thank you for explaining. Surprising that some don't get it.

Indeed especially the ones with half Hearts half Rangers scarfs

7 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

`Cormack has the cheek to accuse Jason Leitch and the SG of doing a U-turn. He has a short fecking memory has Cormack. 

Fair point. He was like a candle in the wind during the summer.

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

😊

Seems like it. :smugger:In all seriousness though, I like the sound of the way it's structured. A hand out to the teams most in need, and a loan for those who have spent money who shouldn't be (Hibs/Dundee Utd). 

3 hours ago, Hackney Hearts said:

👍 Thank you for explaining. Surprising that some don't get it.

Wow someone tells you they work for the NHS and you just accept it as if they know everything...my Aunt also works for the NHS and has been a nurse in the Covid wards so I guess I know as much as you do....so I've got it okay.

Many nurses/doctors for example cannot understand the logic used in the decision making

Every time we discuss this there is a failure to explain why people can go to indoor shopping centre's, can travel by public transport, do not keep social distancing and yet going to a match outdoors in limited numbers is not allowed..its clearly not on safety grounds and you would have thought some of you would have learned something from the FM's treatment of Edinburgh.

Frankly you and others would be safer doing that than going Xmas shopping

She has an agenda and it's not all about the health...this is the FM who refused to limit travel in and out of Scotland and has now had to admit she got it wrong after the first lockdown, this is the FM who has seen hundreds die in nursing homes due to policies she has helped implement, she failed to supply protection early enough to those vital workers ...she has been a failure on almost every level and just because she's not Boris she has managed to get away with it

The one good thing is people have turned and are now no longer simply taking her at her word..she has lost respect and with it I suspect the move to Independence has stalled

Letting some fans go to matches is not about money, its about giving some relief to the public and allowing a move towards normality....now if the figures showed me otherwise then fair enough but they do not. I will not support self centred dogma which is all she has to offer

Guest ToqueJambo
10 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Every time we discuss this there is a failure to explain why people can go to indoor shopping centre's, can travel by public transport, do not keep social distancing and yet going to a match outdoors in limited numbers is not allowed..

I am 100% certain if Rangers and Celtic didn't exist fans would be back very soon if not already. Can these supporters, with their reputations for trouble, violence, getting in without tickets, etc, etc be trusted not to gather outside the ground and to behave on their way to and from the ground? I don't know anyone who would say they could be.

You mentioned allowing fans back would be a return to normality. That normality when Celtic and Rangers are playing is not very pleasant.

Edited by ToqueJambo

• Moderators

Please note that the Terrace is for football related discussions. Anyone that tries to drag the thread onto wider political discussions will be banned from the thread, either temporarily or permanently. 

Hackney Hearts
1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

Wow someone tells you they work for the NHS and you just accept it as if they know everything...my Aunt also works for the NHS and has been a nurse in the Covid wards so I guess I know as much as you do....so I've got it okay.

Many nurses/doctors for example cannot understand the logic used in the decision making

Every time we discuss this there is a failure to explain why people can go to indoor shopping centre's, can travel by public transport, do not keep social distancing and yet going to a match outdoors in limited numbers is not allowed..its clearly not on safety grounds and you would have thought some of you would have learned something from the FM's treatment of Edinburgh.

She has an agenda and it's not all about the health...this is the FM who refused to limit travel in and out of Scotland and has now had to admit she got it wrong after the first lockdown, this is the FM who has seen hundreds die in nursing homes due to policies she has helped implement, she failed to supply protection early enough to those vital workers ...she has been a failure on almost every level and just because she's not Boris she has managed to get away with it

The one good thing is people have turned and are now no longer simply taking her at her word..she has lost respect and with it I suspect the move to Independence has stalled

Letting some fans go to matches is not about money, its about giving some relief to the public and allowing a move towards normality....now if the figures showed me otherwise then fair enough but they do not. I will not support self centred dogma which is all she has to offer

It wasn't anything to do with saying they worked for the NHS! It just seems obvious. It seems equally obvious that you've had a problem with the FM prior to this particular issue. Anyway, that's a political conversation and as someone said after your previous post: "Shed?".

8 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

I am 100% certain if Rangers and Celtic didn't exist fans would be back very soon if not already. Can these supporters, with their reputations for trouble, violence, getting in without tickets, etc, etc be trusted not to gather outside the ground and to behave on their way to and from the ground? I don't know anyone who would say they could be.

You mentioned allowing fans back would be a return to normality. That normality when Celtic and Rangers are playing is not very pleasant.

Already there is chat down south that it’s “not fair” some clubs have 2000 fans and others don’t. 

The old firm and the SPFL/SFA would rather nobody has fans in than have the likes of Elgin and Ross County being allowed. 

9 hours ago, CJGJ said:

I don’t know how many times I’ve directed you to the information you need. It’s long and complex but you don’t seem to engage in it. It includes infection chains, risk management and an excellent Spanish document around why infection rates are different in different situation. Including numbers of people in rooms a window being open or not etc. It explains why schools are safe. Lots of it is counter intuitive.

You asked the questions before. It’s telling you ignore that informationand use employment as someone’s qualification for saying something. I have down the opposite. I’ve directed you to the information so you can decided yourself. But you refuse to do so and your comeback to anyone that differs reinforces many peol a views your issue is one of politics and not the games good or people’s health. 

19 minutes ago, JamboAl1965 said:

I don’t know how many times I’ve directed you to the information you need. It’s long and complex but you don’t seem to engage in it. It includes infection chains, risk management and an excellent Spanish document around why infection rates are different in different situation. Including numbers of people in rooms a window being open or not etc. It explains why schools are safe. Lots of it is counter intuitive.

You asked the questions before. It’s telling you ignore that informationand use employment as someone’s qualification for saying something. I have down the opposite. I’ve directed you to the information so you can decided yourself. But you refuse to do so and your comeback to anyone that differs reinforces many peol a views your issue is one of politics and not the games good or people’s health. 

Good points well made. 

kingantti1874
9 hours ago, CJGJ said:

I’m no fan of the SNP or Sturgeon.. but it isn’t really that hard to explain, all of those comparisons you have made would be closed were it in any way feasible to do so. They aren’t open Becuase it’s “safe”, the aren’t “covid secure” that’s for sure.. 

I don’t think it has ever been about supporters in the stadium at games.  It’s more to do with how spectators travel to games and what they do on the way, I’d hazard a small % of our support live within walking distance or tynecastle and a large % done live in Edinburgh... this means increased traffic on public transport, visiting cafes, restaurants, pubs and bars, picking it up and transporting it back to areas where the issue is less.. a perfect vehicle for spreading the problem out of the cities and into wider communities 

i miss going massively. But I can do without it this season. I don’t think the SNP are wrong on this issue.

9 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Did you see the Liverpool fan with his mask off singing at the top of his voice? I wouldn't have liked to have been the two guys sitting in front of him. 

25 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I’m no fan of the SNP or Sturgeon.. but it isn’t really that hard to explain, all of those comparisons you have made would be closed were it in any way feasible to do so. They aren’t open Becuase it’s “safe”, the aren’t “covid secure” that’s for sure.. 

I don’t think it has ever been about supporters in the stadium at games.  It’s more to do with how spectators travel to games and what they do on the way, I’d hazard a small % of our support live within walking distance or tynecastle and a large % done live in Edinburgh... this means increased traffic on public transport, visiting cafes, restaurants, pubs and bars, picking it up and transporting it back to areas where the issue is less.. a perfect vehicle for spreading the problem out of the cities and into wider communities 

i miss going massively. But I can do without it this season. I don’t think the SNP are wrong on this issue.

exactly this, people can’t argue about going to games because the stadiums covid safe. The game doesn’t exist in a 90 minute bubble and we know that human behaviour is the unmanageable risk in any risk management approach. That’s why the sensible public health approach is to eliminate people’s attendance. Your points are exactly those highlighted in the stuff I refer too

10 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Your arguments are emotional, irrational and purely political - they should be in The Shed.

31 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Correct and agree with all of this (even not being a SNP or Sturgeon fan!) ... and this is before the question of fans behaviour comes under the microscope. Singing, shouting at the ref, throwing fences at the police etc. etc.

10 hours ago, CJGJ said:

It's being run on public health grounds. 

All public health situations lead to strict restrictions eg closing businesses after food poisoning.

The difference in scale relates to resources within the health service. Fundamentally to avoid having to leave people to die because you can't treat them because emergency facilities are full up.

Maybe you missed that. 

To be fair restricting what people do always gets a strong reaction. We don't like being told what to do. 

31 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Did you see the Liverpool fan with his mask off singing at the top of his voice? I wouldn't have liked to have been the two guys sitting in front of him. 

I think the games are a risk. It is outdoors (apart from concourses and toilets). But shouting is a massive risk of spreading infection.

No surprise if numbers go up around places letting fans in. 

30 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

But Cormack has told us his whole 16.5k fan base has promised to do everything asked of them, to the letter.

The stage Scottish football complains about proper discrimination is if other sports are allowed back first and even then that's a 2 cups of coffee in a cafe v. 10 pints in the pub conduct debate.

23 minutes ago, S Form said:

Your arguments are emotional, irrational and purely political - they should be in The Shed.

Correct. Political rants should be punted to the shed.

48 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

In other news Hibs keeping to their word and paying back part of deferred wages this month.

I think the rest is to be paid in June.

...June (to coincide with November's SPFL SKY payment perhaps?) 🙄

Psychedelicropcircle

I see the mutton molester won’t be fobbed off😂 up until now you have been..& will continue to be until next season 👍

Dave Cormack talking crap on Talksport now. Wants fans in asap

I don’t get it. It would be season ticket holders only and minimal, if any, catering. Makes no sense. 

And anyway, he should be moaning at the numerous JRGs his club is represented on, not national radio. 

Simon Jordan now pointing the finger at Doncaster and Maxwell 😁

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I don’t get it. It would be season ticket holders only and minimal, if any, catering. Makes no sense. 

And anyway, he should be moaning at the numerous JRGs his club is represented on, not national radio. 

He doesn't live in the real world. 

Well Simon Jordan saying that the behaviour of the Celtic fans is irrelevant as you can’t use that as a barometer. 

Someone ask him why we cannot drink in Scottish grounds. The whole game revolves around the old firm so of course it is relevant. 

The Old Tolbooth
2 hours ago, JamboAl1965 said:

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

I just listened to the interview as well, and thought he talked a lot of sense to be honest, he talked about not so much the financial implications for clubs, but the effect on people in the communities. They started a program at the start of the pandemic where they were phoning their fans, and phone calls were lasting around 10 minutes in average, they're still doing this, and phone calls are now lasting double the length of time because people are suffering from a lot more symptoms of loneliness and depression etc, they're missing their friends and family, and Cormack talked about how it would cost clubs money to let only 2,000 fans back into games again and it's no benefit to the larger clubs at all, but stressed the importance it could have on peoples mental wellbeing. 

I thought it was widely known now how the demographics of the virus worked these days, but apparently not, and sitting outside in stadiums at a distance is much much safer than sitting in enclosed rooms in someone's house, or at the pub, restaurant etc, but the whole point he was making is that it gives football fans something to look forward to and a chink of light for them, and the refusal to let fans back in when other countries are now embracing how this virus works, and letting fans back in, is disgraceful, and I think he's right. 

I highlighted JamboAl1965's post as well as I totally agree with it, and this video below is probably the best thing I've seen out there that explains how it works (perhaps this is the video you were on about), I'd suggest anyone frothing at the mouth about letting fans back into stadiums again, but wanting pubs opened back up, should perhaps watch this video and take it in. 

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-10-28/a-room-a-bar-and-a-class-how-the-coronavirus-is-spread-through-the-air.html?fbclid=IwAR3vHhOb6CFjVIIgCkuhH0atvfOSxOC-lG6U0vs6pK8bO2rGqeYrwKXgHro

SectionDJambo
41 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

...June (to coincide with November's SPFL SKY payment perhaps?) 🙄

It could end up that way, but more likely using next season's Season Ticket funds. Tick Tock?

20 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

20201210_110401.jpg

SectionDJambo
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

20201210_110401.jpg

Jason Leitch probably remembers how the SPFL's JRG tried to stitch him up with the blame for pausing our training, and is maybe very wary of further engagement with them. 

We know that they are a bunch of snakes who will invent any scenario or excuse to get their way. Others must have realised this by now as well.

1 minute ago, SectionDJambo said:

Jason Leitch probably remembers how the SPFL's JRG tried to stitch him up with the blame for pausing our training, and is maybe very wary of further engagement with them. 

We know that they are a bunch of snakes who will invent any scenario or excuse to get their way. Others must have realised this by now as well.

Jason Leitch speaks to football people in Scotland if not every day then very regularly.

As with the end of season vote forago, Dave Cormack - while he might be making some fair points - is confused about the situation in Scotland. 

The Old Tolbooth
11 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Jason Leitch speaks to football people in Scotland if not every day then very regularly.

As with the end of season vote forago, Dave Cormack - while he might be making some fair points - is confused about the situation in Scotland. 

To be fair, Aberdeen were going to vote in our favour on Good Friday, but because they were the last club to vote, Doncaster phoned them up and told them that it didn't matter what way they voted because the result was already clear cut, so they voted with everyone else. had they been allowed to vote without influence, Celtic's stinking plan would have failed, I genuinely don't think enough has been made of this. 

5 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

To be fair, Aberdeen were going to vote in our favour on Good Friday, but because they were the last club to vote, Doncaster phoned them up and told them that it didn't matter what way they voted because the result was already clear cut, so they voted with everyone else. had they been allowed to vote without influence, Celtic's stinking plan would have failed, I genuinely don't think enough has been made of this. 

What you are saying is: “in fairness, Cormack is weak and has zero principles and is happy to operate in an environment run by liars and conmen”

Edited by Nookie Bear

The Old Tolbooth
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

What you are saying is: “in fairness, Cormack is weak and has zero principles”

Every chance mate, he was easily persuaded for sure. 

Hagar the Horrible

Cormack is using whataboutery and does not get the irony that if Football is allowed in level 2 and above to have fans, it would cause even more whataboutery.  What he does not get is lfootball is still accesible, its on the telly and radio, it has money still being pumped into it, its not the SG's fault they spend more than their income.  Its not Jason Leitches fault he talks to the public using off the ball to get the health message accross.  Doncaster has the same outlet, but sets the narative, so as not to answer any questions, only ask them.

Cormack needs to understand that pubs and resteraunts dont have a TV deal or sponsorship.  Football stadiums including Pittodrie have egress and ingress issues, and greater numbers even using the toilets.

The funding package that is just about to be announced will no doubt be welcomed, but how many will be ungrateful?

Elite sport should only get loans and only then with security against these loans and the SPFL should also act as a guarantor.

Rugby, athletics and other sports should be priroty for grants.... and whataboutery for swimming, shinty etc?

5 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

He was also promised consultation with SPFL clubs before the season was ended. That then was denied by Neil Doncaster. That consultation then did take place but was irrelevant. 

But you are right. The change in vote and how it happened is rarely mentioned. Needed also Hibs changing their vote. 

Hagar the Horrible
3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

What you are saying is: “in fairness, Cormack is weak and has zero principles and is happy to operate in an environment run by liars and conmen”

Aberdeen delivered their vote after the 5pm deadline and we given promises that no other club were offered.  It will all come out as the promised money is still not there yet in full.  He and Doncasters moonbeams wont change the governments stance, fobbed off or not!

The Old Tolbooth
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

He was also promised consultation with SPFL clubs before the season was ended. That then was denied by Neil Doncaster. That consultation then did take place but was irrelevant. 

But you are right. The change in vote and how it happened is rarely mentioned. Needed also Hibs changing their vote. 

One of the reasons Dempster is away now is because of that vote, she knew the financial implications for the wee team, and disagreed with voting against us, but Ron the con stupidly believed that if we were in a lower league, that our fans would go along and watch Hibs playing in the top league instead, just how stupid can he be to think that? That was the beginning for the end for Dempster. 

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )