SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

I take it the SG are also talking to the rugby authorities as well regarding Covid

Players are signing and players are leaving both Glasgow and Edinburgh

Of course rugby received or were supposed to receive a grant at the top level rather than  the possibility of a loan

Despite all the noise the latest figures from England show only 3.19% positive cases from those tested..66 clubs tested and over 3500 tests completed

Now this after a period where the majority of clubs did not test and from next week there will be regular testing

I would imagine that there would be similar figures in Scotland though given not all are full time it could be higher but many of those 66 clubs are not full time as well

There will never be a '0' figure for some time but the figures are as good as you get at this time

The Old Tolbooth

Hang on a minute, let me get this right, clubs are slating the SG for not releasing the funds that they were promised just before Xmas, but not venting their anger at the SPFL for not releasing the funds they actually voted for on Good Friday? 

Am I getting this right? 

Staggering, absolutely staggering! 

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

More talk around including other countries and sports we could see sport stopped. 

France looking to take their teams out of European Rugby tournaments.

6 Nations participation and perhaps football surely not too far behind.

4 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Hang on a minute, let me get this right, clubs are slating the SG for not releasing the funds that they were promised just before Xmas, but not venting their anger at the SPFL for not releasing the funds they actually voted for on Good Friday? 

Am I getting this right? 

Staggering, absolutely staggering! 

Yep, you’re right. 

These ‘funds’ due, are also from last season! But yeah, castigate the SG. 

As you say, staggering... but don’t worry, our journos will be all over it! Not. Just like the SPFL, they’re not fit for purpose. 

Fort Vallance
1 hour ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Interesting contrast of comments between Steve Bruce and Shaun Dyche.

Bruce thinks it morally wrong the football continues to play while that Erse from Burnley thinks the players should be fast tracked for the vaccine. 

I heard that interview with Dyche and I must have misunderstood. I thought he said the opposite. That the resources spent on testing players would be better utilised outside sport ?

5 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

I heard that interview with Dyche and I must have misunderstood. I thought he said the opposite. That the resources spent on testing players would be better utilised outside sport ?

pettigrewsstylist
On 07/01/2021 at 15:03, Jambo92 said:

Premiership clubs have zero shame they were treated special to get the league running again so they can get their TV deal, they get donations, they also are continuing to buy new players with cash and also turn down bids for their players. 

They hounded Government to open stadiums and then because they haven't received their money within 2 weeks they're throwing toys out the pram, aye let's open stadiums and kill 50 percent of your fanbase and let this virus hang around for next 3 seasons.  Its just a cesspit of greed.

Game is lost. Totally forgotten why the game came to be. Prob needs to burn a little, sad as it will be.

7 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Where to start with this!?

Clubs don't have money... yet continue to sign players, go on trips to Dubai. How about the SPFL pay clubs what they are due from last season?.. oh wait, they've had to hand it back to SKY, BBC, BT.

How about the SPFL and SFA look after 'their' clubs... or clubs just stop spending money they don't have at the moment? How about going back in time and mothballing 'semi-professional' clubs and restructuring the leagues for clubs that can afford to finish a season? 

**** off you t**t. The SPFL and their chairmen had ample opportunity to do what's best for the leagues as a whole. Guess what... they didn't give a monkeys about anyone else or the greater good. Now they want to blame the SG... who don't run football or any other sport for that matter.

FTSFA FTSPFL FTH

Spot on! Also if I was dishing out the dosh I would only pay them AFTER the window closes. It is surely meant to cover ongoing costs not to spunk it on new players and if any clubs go under meantime tough (except ICT PT and Stranraer!)

SectionDJambo

I reckon that Douglas Ross is the one who has been feeding the lines to Doncaster and Cormack about spectators in grounds etc,. Whatever anyone’s political leanings, that would be sleekit in the extreme, for him, and stupidity in the extreme for the SFA/SPFL, to allow themselves to be rattling the cage of the SG for Ross’s political gain.

I think we will see suspension of football within a few weeks.  It’s already starting to look anomalous amongst the the harsher lockdown measures.  Once the wave of death that we are about to see hits it will be stopped.  The question then is what do the spfl do..... any guesses?

Hungry hippo
7 minutes ago, Voxpop said:

I think we will see suspension of football within a few weeks.  It’s already starting to look anomalous amongst the the harsher lockdown measures.  Once the wave of death that we are about to see hits it will be stopped.  The question then is what do the spfl do..... any guesses?

Unlike last season there is not a desperate reason to terminate the season (TV deal) so if football had to be stopped I suspect it would be more like in the EPL last season and there would be a determination to get the games played at a later date. The lower leagues wouldn't even need to stop for the Euros even though we'd probably lose Craig Gordon.

5 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

But is the "vast money spent on testing" not spent by the clubs? Are we supposed to believe that the English clubs will then start donating the cost of those twice-weekly tests to the NHS? I doubt it, somehow. 

6 hours ago, Forrest said:

But is the "vast money spent on testing" not spent by the clubs? Are we supposed to believe that the English clubs will then start donating the cost of those twice-weekly tests to the NHS? I doubt it, somehow. 

I wonder if there will be a time fairly soon that one of the vaccines will be available privately (outwith the NHS). When that happens the English top flight will surely just pay for it. 

Edited by GinRummy

7 hours ago, Voxpop said:

Emotive language aside, there is a case to halt football until 1st Feb in line with this lockdown. 

4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Emotive language aside, there is a case to halt football until 1st Feb in line with this lockdown. 

There is but I get the feeling that if it’s stopped it won’t be starting again till next season. Nothing currently shut will open again at the start of February imo. 

Edited by GinRummy

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

There is but I get the feeling that if it’s stopped it won’t be starting again till next season. Nothing currently shut will open again at the start of February imo. 

Yep. 

And once again, not a peep from Doncaster or the rest of the SPFL to show any kind of guidance or leadership. 

5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yep. 

And once again, not a peep from Doncaster or the rest of the SPFL to show any kind of guidance or leadership. 

doncaster is currently $hitting it...   I imagine the last thing he wants is to be dealing with a situation like last year but this time having all the Celtic fans greet about 10 in a row.  The only thing that would make it sweeter would be if Celtic were close and still had to award the league to rangers.    Could you imagine the fall out if he tried to null and void...  

1 minute ago, Voxpop said:

doncaster is currently $hitting it...   I imagine the last thing he wants is to be dealing with a situation like last year but this time having all the Celtic fans greet about 10 in a row.  The only thing that would make it sweeter would be if Celtic were close and still had to award the league to rangers.    Could you imagine the fall out if he tried to null and void...  

Yep, would go along with that... there is literally nothing he can do or say to make shellicks position, at the moment, any better... in fact, if he were to open his stupid mouth - it's likely it wouldn't benefit shellick in the slightest and we can't have that.

...probably why we've had that t**t ross mouthing off in the media.

3 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Yep, would go along with that... there is literally nothing he can do or say to make shellicks position, at the moment, any better... in fact, if he were to open his stupid mouth - it's likely it wouldn't benefit shellick in the slightest and we can't have that.

...probably why we've had that t**t ross mouthing off in the media.

I’m not even sure how much of a problem Celtic are right now for Doncaster. I think he is terrified that the league will find itself in the same position as last year and he has put together zero rules or guidance to allow for it. 

Having said that, if it was Celtic out in front then I am sure Lawell would be pulling the strings to make sure something was agreed re average points. 

Have you noticed that almost EVERYTHING negative that's happened in the SPL this season, has involved celtic in some capacity?

Griffiths and his parties, Boli's holiday, the team's holiday, moving fixtures as and when without notifying opponents, bleating to the press about allowing fans in, barrakading their ground to keep fans out etc.... can this season get any worse for them. Let's hope so.

FTSFA FTSPFL

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I’m not even sure how much of a problem Celtic are right now for Doncaster. I think he is terrified that the league will find itself in the same position as last year and he has put together zero rules or guidance to allow for it. 

Having said that, if it was Celtic out in front then I am sure Lawell would be pulling the strings to make sure something was agreed re average points. 

I think he is terrified also... there is literally nothing he can do or say, right now, to improve celtic's position. The longer this all plays out, the more blatant (or obvious) his ties are to that awful club. We all know Lawwell pulls the strings... if he didn't and we had someone competent running the good ship SPFL - they would be front and centre orchestrating things. 

And... I hate to sound like a broken record here, but where the fcuk are the press and their questions?

Gorgie Boot boy
21 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

I think he is terrified also... there is literally nothing he can do or say, right now, to improve celtic's position. The longer this all plays out, the more blatant (or obvious) his ties are to that awful club. We all know Lawwell pulls the strings... if he didn't and we had someone competent running the good ship SPFL - they would be front and centre orchestrating things. 

And... I hate to sound like a broken record here, but where the fcuk are the press and their questions?

The press can kiss my arse.

Not on the left cheek not on the right cheek.

But kiss kiss, right on the groove.

8 hours ago, Forrest said:

I'm sure in Scotland any positive private testing is then followed up with an NHS one.

Maybe that is where a saving to NHS could be determined.

12 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

The press can kiss my arse.

Not on the left cheek not on the right cheek.

But kiss kiss, right on the groove.

Blimey... along with that fecking dancing baby on the GMS thread... you're really giving me the fear this morning 😟

Gorgie Boot boy
3 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Blimey... along with that fecking dancing baby on the GMS thread... you're really giving me the fear this morning 😟

Ah the crying baby.

Richard Gordon.

I thought Sturgeon was quite clever in her comments. She wants elite sport to continue as it's a morale boost for everyone. As such onus is on elite sports to take that responsibility. If they don't, then not much else govt can do. In other words, sport will have let the people down.

Having a little turd like Ross sniping away only clouds the matter. He's willfully trying to make political capital out of this, but in reality the only thing being highlighted is his insignificance. IMO, of course.

56 minutes ago, Boris said:

I thought Sturgeon was quite clever in her comments. She wants elite sport to continue as it's a morale boost for everyone. As such onus is on elite sports to take that responsibility. If they don't, then not much else govt can do. In other words, sport will have let the people down.

Having a little turd like Ross sniping away only clouds the matter. He's willfully trying to make political capital out of this, but in reality the only thing being highlighted is his insignificance. IMO, of course.

Think he raising the fact that the SG monies have not been forthcoming 

5 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Think he raising the fact that the SG monies have not been forthcoming 

Whilst not mention last season's spfl cash that has still to be paid out, as promised back in April!

As I said, trying to make political capital. IMO.

Spfl/SFA really need to clean their glasshouse before lobbing half niddries! Take some fecking responsibility at least once!

Ross's position as an SFA employee also suggests a conflict of interests, again IMO.

11 minutes ago, Boris said:

Whilst not mention last season's spfl cash that has still to be paid out, as promised back in April!

As I said, trying to make political capital. IMO.

Spfl/SFA really need to clean their glasshouse before lobbing half niddries! Take some fecking responsibility at least once!

Ross's position as an SFA employee also suggests a conflict of interests, again IMO.

How exactly is Doncaster still in a job getting paid more than even the Prime Minister for such abysmal performance?

14 hours ago, Voxpop said:

Self interest will take over, leagues will be called again. No promotion and no relegation. Back to 36 games next season. 

I'm not sure how much say we have in it, but considering Partick were relegated essentially because they had to delay a game because of cups, we should really be loud about insisting games aren't posponed. 2 seasons in this division would seriously hurt us. 

1 minute ago, OTT said:

I'm not sure how much say we have in it, but considering Partick were relegated essentially because they had to delay a game because of cups, we should really be loud about insisting games aren't posponed. 2 seasons in this division would seriously hurt us. 

They would have to call the league and award promotions and relegations based on points per game basis or void it and pay back the sponsorship and TV money.

It appears that payouts for TV money may not happen when the contract isn't completed in any case, so can these clubs and the SFA afford those losses plus potential compensation for cancelling contracts?

I think the SPFL has got itself into this position by agreeing such a poor TV deal.

Voiding the league might get some resistance from Ibrox, most notably legal I'd imagine.

3 hours ago, frankblack said:

They would have to call the league and award promotions and relegations based on points per game basis or void it and pay back the sponsorship and TV money.

It appears that payouts for TV money may not happen when the contract isn't completed in any case, so can these clubs and the SFA afford those losses plus potential compensation for cancelling contracts?

I think the SPFL has got itself into this position by agreeing such a poor TV deal.

Voiding the league might get some resistance from Ibrox, most notably legal I'd imagine.

Yeah, I'm talking about a situation where Dunfermline are running us tight and we end up behind with a game in hand. 

Its obviously not a situation anyone wants to think about, but with frozen pitches and Scottish cup games being rescheduled the club should be taking a strong stance on league games being moved if it leaves us worse off.  

1 hour ago, OTT said:

Yeah, I'm talking about a situation where Dunfermline are running us tight and we end up behind with a game in hand. 

Its obviously not a situation anyone wants to think about, but with frozen pitches and Scottish cup games being rescheduled the club should be taking a strong stance on league games being moved if it leaves us worse off.  

It may be almost worth throwing a cup tie with a B team.

Doctor FinnBarr
5 hours ago, OTT said:

It certainly will mate but they will keep us down.

No chance the Premiership will be stopped, and I think the Championship will continue as well. Clubs have been given £500k, so plenty cash to pay for a few months of testing. Maybe L1, L2 and below might not be so lucky.

LarrysRightFoot

Not sure how this would effect promotion/relegation etc but the OF pushing for Colts again - they know teams need the money. 

If Colts get a green light then wider reconstruction is potentially on the cards. 

LarrysRightFoot
1 hour ago, Chuck Berry said:

No chance the Premiership will be stopped, and I think the Championship will continue as well. Clubs have been given £500k, so plenty cash to pay for a few months of testing. Maybe L1, L2 and below might not be so lucky.

That £500k will already be spent - clubs were living on fumes. 

10 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Not sure how this would effect promotion/relegation etc but the OF pushing for Colts again - they know teams need the money. 

If Colts get a green light then wider reconstruction is potentially on the cards. 

The key question for me would be relegation. 

This suggestion seems to be a 16 team League 2. 2 Colts teams plus winners of Lowland and Highland Leagues. 

But what happens the next season? The obvious solution would be 2 relegated and again the Lowland and Highland winners promoted. Instead of Play Offs. The problem is the League One and Two clubs might not vote for that to protect themselves. The Elgin Chairman explained that well last season. 

So it's not so simple. 

Edited by Mikey1874

LarrysRightFoot
26 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The key question for me would be relegation. 

This suggestion seems to be a 16 team League 2. 2 Colts teams plus winners of Lowland and Highland Leagues. 

But what happens the next season? The obvious solution would be 2 relegated and again the Lowland and Highland winners promoted. Instead of Play Offs. The problem is the League One and Two clubs might not vote for that to protect themselves. The Elgin Chairman explained that well last season. 

So it's not so simple. 

No idea the permutations or suggestions that will be put forward. 

For me it’d be 2 or 3 bigger national leagues with a regional pyramid below. 

One way or another the league set up in Scotland will look significantly different within the next decade. 

Gorgie Boot boy
33 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

No idea the permutations or suggestions that will be put forward. 

For me it’d be 2 or 3 bigger national leagues with a regional pyramid below. 

One way or another the league set up in Scotland will look significantly different within the next decade. 

Hopefully this year takes care of a few of the money bleeders out there, allow the ambitious clubs to prosper.

Heart of Darkness

No matter what happens with shutdowns and leagues ending early they need us and will want us back in the top league. 

All the other teams have had their fun putting us down but we are to big a club with too many fans to miss our cash in their banks whether through travelling to games or PPV.

I think the reason they are pushing the colts thing again is not to benefit Hearts but its is to keep the Glasgow clubs SPFL licence in place incase they decide to join an Atlantic league of some kind in the future, if and when that goes tits up there is no reason to reapply to the SPLF as they have already kept their membership basically having their cake and eating it.  

LarrysRightFoot
45 minutes ago, GMEdinburgh said:

I think the reason they are pushing the colts thing again is not to benefit Hearts but its is to keep the Glasgow clubs SPFL licence in place incase they decide to join an Atlantic league of some kind in the future, if and when that goes tits up there is no reason to reapply to the SPLF as they have already kept their membership basically having their cake and eating it.  

I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s part of it. I think at some point a cross border, Atlantic league or something will be at least trialled. 

I’m not against Colts - I’d like us to have a Colt team in the leagues - but they should join on the bottom rung I.e. the Lowland league. 

42 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s part of it. I think at some point a cross border, Atlantic league or something will be at least trialled. 

I’m not against Colts - I’d like us to have a Colt team in the leagues - but they should join on the bottom rung I.e. the Lowland league. 

The proposal was just Celtic and Rangers tho, again to benefit the two uglies yet again, When it was first banded about a few years ago the proposal was for all the colts games would be played away from home with a monerty amount paid to each SPFL 2 teams as compensation, can't exactly remember how much but is was a few grand per club. 

55 minutes ago, GMEdinburgh said:

The proposal was just Celtic and Rangers tho, again to benefit the two uglies yet again, When it was first banded about a few years ago the proposal was for all the colts games would be played away from home with a monerty amount paid to each SPFL 2 teams as compensation, can't exactly remember how much but is was a few grand per club. 

Each pay L2 £125K in year 1.

Guarantee to buy 200 away tickets at £15 each.

IIRC

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )