Taking care of your physical & mental health during lockdown

redm

Some important info from our friends at Big Hearts & The Changing Room Project 

Did you know that loneliness and isolation are major factors in the causes of poor mental health?  Whether you did or didn’t, now that we’re well into life during lockdown it’s more important than ever to deliberately look after your physical and mental health.

So where you can, get outside even for a few minutes so that you can clear you head by doing things like taking in the sights and sounds of any nature close by.  Doing this and ‘taking notice’ is one of the recognised 5-Ways to better mental health and well being.  Don’t just take my word for it though, look here at the SAMH (Scottish Association for Mental Health) website for their guide to the 5-Ways.

Connect is the first of the 5-Ways you see listed and that’s why I’m posting on Kickback – it’s used by hundreds of Jambos every day to connect to other guys.  OK it’s usually about the ups and downs of watching Hearts, but in these strange times some guys might need a bit more than chat about gegenpress, possible Championship away days and the media’s fascination with spinning club news from Tynecastle.

It can be really tough to make the first step and say that you need to chat about something depression or anxiety, but anyone who’s taken part in The Changing Room project at Tynecastle will tell you that talking is easy once you start.  It really helps to get things off your chest to stop them going round and round in your head.

There are lots of ways of connecting to The Changing Room if you are needing a wee but moral support and encouragement for me and the guys who take part or if you just want some more information.  Go on, give it go – those weird thoughts in your head probably won’t go away on their own.

Phone line – 0131 603 4929 – Monday to Thursday – 10:30am to 3pm

Email – [email protected].uk

Zoom conference – 2/3 times per week.  Details sent privately if you ask

The Changing Room website - http://hearts.thechangingroom.org.uk/ (yes, we know the images are wee bit out of date!)

Dougie @ The Changing Room 

Note: The Changing Room is a project run in conjunction with SAMH, Big Hearts, SPFL Trust with major funding from the Movember Foundation

• redm featured and pinned this topic
August Landmesser

Thanks for posting this. Lots of helpful info and advice.

Take care, Jambos

I have another option for anyone wishing to reduce their stress levels, or anxiety, if you’ve been feeling angry or feeling low - keeping in mind these are all normal reactions to what’s happening just now (with the SPFL as well as with the mad virus!) It’s the one we recommend in the NHS and so I hope it’s okay to post here. 
https://stresscontrol.org/

10E8760F-9879-483B-A60E-D2A3B6D0AD4B.png

Great to see the important topic of mental health raised.

Lockdown can be a very lonely time for many. People can feel helpless and hopeless as there is no timescale for it to end and no assurances can be given about life in general in the near future.

Forums such as this can help promote a sense of community for Hearts fans.

hisnameisdrewbusby

Folks, at 6pm today (Monday 20 April), Andy Webster will be joining The Changing Room video catch-up chat.  If you'd like to join, please email at [email protected] and I'll let you know how to join.

I'm not making the joining details publicly available due to stories of nuisance people hacking zoom calls.

Dougie

• 3 weeks later...
gashauskis9
On 14/04/2020 at 18:55, Heart&soul said:

I have another option for anyone wishing to reduce their stress levels, or anxiety, if you’ve been feeling angry or feeling low - keeping in mind these are all normal reactions to what’s happening just now (with the SPFL as well as with the mad virus!) It’s the one we recommend in the NHS and so I hope it’s okay to post here. 
https://stresscontrol.org/

10E8760F-9879-483B-A60E-D2A3B6D0AD4B.png

Thoroughly recommend this.  Dr Jim White is a modern genius.  

• 3 weeks later...

There was a 10 year old on the news talking about his stress and mental health issues. 10 year old! 

What a horrible time to be a child. Bombarded with information and unable to cope with it emotionally.

Heart&soul

I agree Jamhammer, it’s hellish to see innocence replaced with adult pain and awareness, and for this particular wee guy it’s already happened by only his 10th year. CAMHS staff must see it daily, and worse. 

image.jpeg.120b194e7aed400088474f54b260b067.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/05/2020 at 12:49, Heart&soul said:

I agree Jamhammer, it’s hellish to see innocence replaced with adult pain and awareness, and for this particular wee guy it’s already happened by only his 10th year. CAMHS staff must see it daily, and worse. 

image.jpeg.120b194e7aed400088474f54b260b067.jpeg

image.jpeg

Those figures are terrifying

• Maple Leaf unpinned this topic