Places you felt most on edge in your life

Caramoon

As the title says. My experiences are getting lost in Moss side with 2 lassie pals after Oasis concert at Maine road. Very unnerving. Also ending up among Croatia 'fans' at France 98 after their game with Jamaica. Very scary bunch. It was as if it was them v the world. How I got out of that unscathed I'll never know.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Locky

• Tazio

• redjambo

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Naples, at the docks.

And a particularly dodgy area of Barcelona, where we were victims of an attempted mugging.

millerjames398

Scotland v poland at hampden for the 2-2 game, hundreds of them in Scotland end, all skinheads and bomber jackets, game starts and one of those flash bangs went off nearly shat my pants, they scored early doors and i was stuck in the middle of polish limbs, tried to give a wee nod to a ****in man mountain of a polak infront of me, i was met with a nazi salute and a hundred yard stare😄 eventually had to move up the back of the stand and stood to watch the game, been in some shitholes and seen some madness in my time, but that was the most nervous/scared ive been, couldn't believe how many of them were in the west stand🤯😄

Stoating around the streets in Johannesburg late at night with my 16yo cousin after we had been out drinking.    Or getting into a random street scuffle with another cousin late at night in the off-piste streets of Durban.

Not all that scary at the time but... ffs.

Doctor FinnBarr

A Vietnamese market in some town in the Czech Republic with the Mrs and then toddler daughter. Almost closing time and we were the only people there, getting pushed and pulled by dozens of stallholders determined we would buy from them whilst trying to dip pockets. Managed to get out intact........just I think.

Seaside jambo

Old ibrox  jambos beat them Tommy Murray sat on the ball at the corner flag then crossed the ball and a think it was Donald ford scored the huns went mental had to leave in a big hurry 

was only a boy was with ma uncle n cousin couple o his mates think it was early 70s can’t remember all details but remember how scared we all were 

The two weeks I had to run a pub on my own, in Govanhill in the weege. The company I worked for owned a few pubs all over central Scotland and the lease holder had given it up. I was to run it until they found a new lease holder. It turned out that the pub had become the place where people went once they'd been barred from all the other pubs nearby. It was a ****ing eye opener, that's for sure. 

Edited by Normthebarman

First time I was ever in New York (back in the days when NYC had serious no go zones in it) I arrived on my own and just had to get a subway to where I was staying in Brooklyn. So I’ve just had a long cross country trip so had a large courier style bag complete with laptop, iPod,  camera and so on in it. Get to the subway station I’m supposed to get off at and the train whistles straight through it. No problem, just get off at the next on and all will be fine. 
Unknown to me the next station was in the middle of Bedford-Stuyvesant. Not the nicest area, come up out the station and it’s like walking into he middle of a cop film, people smoking crack in doorways and worse, handfuls of young men hanging around glaring at each other. And in the middle of it all me looking very conspicuously white with an expensive bag dressed like a European. And the entrance to the subway to get back uptown is about a block away. 
Then a bus pulled up so I asked the driver if he went down Fulton to Fort Green. At which point he gave the classic answer “yes I do and you should get on the bus right now” I was genuinely rattled to say the least. 

Edited by Tazio

Салатные палочки

Belfast in the late 90s. The troubles were more or less over but the army were still present and I was pretty on edge. Lovely city though. 

Only other time I can think of is when me and my mate (stupidly) took his mum's car out when we were drunk one Saturday night and broke down in Nitshill. We had to leave the car and walk to find a phone box to phone a mate to pick us up. I was shiting myself. 

It looks totally different now..

Screenshot_20200409-205228.jpg.07a7ae7abea5afadd5707f83765a13ce.jpg

Rio de Janeiro ,I was robbed at knife point first night . Even during the day you couldn’t relax as all the locals around you are watching and waiting for you to drop your guard.

1 hour ago, Caramoon said:

As the title says. My experiences are getting lost in Moss side with 2 lassie pals after Oasis concert at Maine road. Very unnerving. Also ending up among Croatia 'fans' at France 98 after their game with Jamaica. Very scary bunch. It was as if it was them v the world. How I got out of that unscathed I'll never know.

Moss Side Manchester was scary enough going back to my Travel Lodge after being at the UFC at Manchester Arena. Manchester is a bit of a shit hole full stop.

Edited by vegas-voss

Салатные палочки

Some nightclubs have had me on edge. Ikon in Paisley and Bonkers in Glasgow, always felt like it could kick off at any time. Too many idiots from too many schemes in the same place at the same time. 

Just remembered another American episode. Driving through South Central LA around midnight and getting a fuel warning light and discovering I was almost completely out of petrol. Managed to find a petrol station but as is common in the US it’s paid with credit card at the pump and if you don’t have a zip code linked to the card it doesn’t work so had to navigate the dodgy looking bunch of guys hanging around harassing the guy at the till and stand in the middle of them to pay with my card. Turned around and couldn’t see my wife in the car so paid and then ran back to see where the hell she was and she was lying down across the front seats so the gang member type wouldn’t see her. Shat my pants and even worse they thought I’d run away from them so lots of shouts as I drove out the garage. 

Jambo-Jimbo
40 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Naples, at the docks.

And a particularly dodgy area of Barcelona, where we were victims of an attempted mugging.

This place?

Looks nice from a cruise ship.

image.thumb.jpeg.eecfe2e254a558983ccbae0403cb3653.jpeg

We had a choice of tours, either a Naples city tour & Pompeii or the more expensive (a lot more expensive) trip down the Amalfi Coast to Sorrento and then the afternoon in Pompeii.

After barely 2 minutes drive from the port, we were so pleased that we'd paid the extra to go down the Amalfi Coast, from what we seen of Naples driving from the port, it was a fecking dive, it looked grim.

4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Moss Side Manchester was scary enough going back to my Travel Lodge after being at the UFC at Manchester Arena. Manchester is a bit of a shit hole full stop.

Don't know what it's like now but was a truly horrible place then. 1996 I think it was. We asked an elderly Asian gentleman for directions and he pointed for us to go further into the estate and burst out laughing at us. Then some wannabe gangsta rapper slapped one of the lassies I was with on the arse. She went to retaliate. I grabbed her and the 3 of us bolted. Not a copper in sight. We ended up standing in middle of the road trying to stop cars. One stopped and after explaining our situation the driver and his wife kindly took us to our hotel. (Victoria and Albert). They wouldn't take any money but his wife asked if I would give her the stub from my concert ticket so she could pretend to her pals she was at the concert. I duly obliged. I would have given her the clothes of my back. Horrible experience.

Was in some sketchy parts of berlin. Rows of old warehouses which had been turned into nightclubs etc. Fine once you were in but the industrial estate surrounding them was full of gangs and dodgy characters.

Took a shortcut in wroclaw. Passed through an area where the travellers live and known for being very rough. At one point we heard gun shots, got out the area pronto.

Egypt, felt very safe generally but was trekking through the desert on horseback. We'd been warned about bandits etc. My mule decided would have a mind of its own, got seperated from my group for 10-15mins but if felt like forever when all you can see is sand dunes.

Entering Sadr City, Baghdad - what a nightmare. Getting stuck in traffic was the biggest concern - so easy for a cyclist to clap on a sticky to the side of the vehicle and ride off

1 hour ago, Normthebarman said:

The two weeks I had to run a pub on my own, in Govanhill in the weege. The company I worked for owned a few pubs all over central Scotland and the lease holder had given it up. I was to run it until they found a new lease holder. It turned out that the pub had become the place where people went once they'd been barred from all the other pubs nearby. It was a ****ing eye opener, that's for sure. 

what pub was that? 

On a tube train heading for Tottenham on NLD day group of young blokes got in at one station about 30 of them Tottenham fans no colours one put his Oyster card in his season ticket book all smartly dressed but quite intimidating. 

Paris suburbs. And I can't even tell you which ones or anything as our phones had no battery and therefor no satnav. 

We stayed at Disney land Paris until closing and were driving through the night back to Brittany however the roads we took on the way there had roadworks and the diversions were either inaccurate or I could not work them out. 

Very scary, especially as we had our daughter with us. 

55 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Some nightclubs have had me on edge. Ikon in Paisley and Bonkers in Glasgow, always felt like it could kick off at any time. Too many idiots from too many schemes in the same place at the same time. 

Went to a nightclub in Bootle in Liverpool called quadrant park. First part of night was fine in a nightclub.Great atmosphere. Second part was in a disused warehouse nearby. This was not a legal night shall we say. We were warned not to go to this by people in the nightclub. Several of our party were physically assaulted. When we refused to buy any pills from a gang of guys we were shown a gun. No joke. We left early. When we got outside our bus was nowhere to be seen. It eventually turned up not long before the rave was finishing. The driver had taken one of our party to hospital to get a cut stitched up after he was bottled. Genuinely scary night. Bus journey home was subdued for a while.

52 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

This place?

Looks nice from a cruise ship.

image.thumb.jpeg.eecfe2e254a558983ccbae0403cb3653.jpeg

We had a choice of tours, either a Naples city tour & Pompeii or the more expensive (a lot more expensive) trip down the Amalfi Coast to Sorrento and then the afternoon in Pompeii.

After barely 2 minutes drive from the port, we were so pleased that we'd paid the extra to go down the Amalfi Coast, from what we seen of Naples driving from the port, it was a fecking dive, it looked grim.

Horrendous, Jimbo.

Stupidly, we went back again too.  :vrface:

The Barcelona one was really our own fault.  We lived there for a while (11 months) and ventured into an area that we know we shouldn’t have. 

Good bars, good food, shite people.

ArcticJambo

Just got off a bus at the terminus/station, inner city Washington DC, new year's day 1998 around 6am, only white face, and a young one at that! I was still half cut and three guys approached me almost immediately ... put on a strong scottish accent and acted more pissed than I was - they wanted to know what I was doing here.   explained I was trying to get back to central DC to meet my family, from a party I was driven to in the north of the city.  not sure they understood too much and were perhaps a bit vexed by it all but in the end they pointed me in the direction of the metro, tf!

Back in 1980 I was  a student and involved in Labour student politics. A group of 4-5 of us were sent to Ireland, South and North, to meet with all parties to research options for a new policy approach. It was  a very tense time in Irish politics, about a year before the hunger strikes.

In Belfast we had a meeting scheduled with Sinn Fein at an undisclosed address. We had to get a black cab at a certain pick up point and were dropped off in the Falls Road.

Unsure where to go we started walking up the road and, for no good reason, I was dawdling behind.

A car drew up beside me.

The back door was flung open and a voice from inside said

"Get In!"

1 hour ago, jamie1874 said:

what pub was that? 

If I remember correctly, it was called Logues Bar and I believe it's now called the Maxwell Arms but I could be wrong. It was about 12 years ago. Just round the corner from the Star Bar and it's legendary 3 course meal for £3 (or it was back then) which will give folk some idea of the clientele I had when they'd already been barred from that kind of place. 

Robbo-Jambo

1976 cup final in the Celtic end. 

Bottles flying everywhere between Rangers and Hearts fans. 

Cut heads and blood everywhere. 

My dad wanted to get the young me out of there at half time but stayed on to see Shuggie Shaws goal. 

Absolute mayhem that day and the police done feck all about it. 

Stuck at the back of bus travelling up the mountainside to Darjeeling, crammed full of folk with dozens on the roof as well that the driver had let on "on the fly". There were so many people on the bus that every time it went round a corner it leaned to the side so much I thought it was going to overturn. Of course the road was narrow with a sheer drop down the side. At one point we stopped to take on even more folk onto the roof and I was so shit-scared that I stood up and shouted "Get this fecking bus on the move! Now!" The driver, shocked, did so straight away. I could have kissed the ground when we finally arrived in Darjeeling.

Edit: We decided to go to the expense of getting a taxi back down the way. :)

Edited by redjambo

ArcticJambo

Slightly different story, and one that's related to the elements rather ... About this time of year two yrs ago, we were about 140 miles southeast, and looking for caribou, however to get to the inlet and the end of it where we hoped they'd be you had to cross a decent expanse of bay ice (probably 15 miles worth until you would be back up against the high rock walls on the inlet).  Now the weather was pretty windy, probably 30-50mph winds with ground-drift, and while you had blue skies and sun above at our level it was patchy, some clear bits, some not so, and again areas where the wind dies down and others where it picked right up.  I knew the area quite well but didn't have a gps with me; I never carried one as for the most part it wasn't necessary.

Buddy i was with this time however always had one as he liked to track his movements, which is actually quite valuable when you return as you can stick to the same outward route if the conditions were favourable (no rough ice, or soft snow, etc) or you can take a different route if your trail made you swear :lol:   Anyway, we're a bit into the exposed section that takes us across the bay, and heading for the entrance to the inlet but we can't now see the high mountains either side of it (they're ~3k ft straight up from the sea) so he enters the directions on the gps and I follow him.  Problem is that the wind seems to be getting stronger and I'm trying to keep the back of his sled in view, and I'm not 20 ft behind him.  It's almost like driving blind, you can't see any definition between sky and ground, it's all white, a near enough whiteout!!  The ice, or rather the snow on the ice isn't exactly flat anymore either, and there are chunks of rough ice here and there, not a lot but enough to have you bulging your eyes in intense conditions to avoid hitting. it's hard on the eyes The drifts are getting bigger and unpredictable, and on one occasion my snowmobile is almost toppled as I drop 4 ft. and my wrists take a beating.  I don't have a solid hitch but a rope instead to tow my sled so I have that to worry about too (coming up back of me and running me over if I stop dead) but in reality because of the speed of the ground-drift when you think you're driving at 20-30 mph in actual fact you're only doing 5-10mph. :lol: Still, it's a concern.

Anyway, I'm struggling to keep up and getting quite nervous about the possibility of losing him, and his trail.  The ice/snow underneath is rock solid for the most part so the trail created by our skis and tracks are disappearing the minute we make them.  I know that if I get separated they're going to have great difficulty finding me again.  I had supplies on my sled and probably could have managed to rig some sort of shelter had I had to, had my machine decided to break down at that point which would have been bad luck as it was relatively new but the conditions were extreme and dangerous if you were caught out in them.  I had plenty of fuel so wasn't worried about having to find my way back to an area I recognised but I was also worried about having an accident while doing so.  It was definitely a situation that you slowly get yourself into and then finally realise that you've gone too far and need a bit of 'luck' to get your self onto the other side.  Fortunately buddy stopped and we discussed the situation and turned back to the cabin.  Spent the next 2 days in that cabin waiting for the conditions to die down before we went home.  Luckily we had plenty of vodka. :thumbsup:

Edited by ArcticJambo

Crossing the Bridge of Doom...

:Aye:

Shanks said no

I have always been pretty gallus and have been in more scrapes than I care to mention, some I won and some I have lost, including being mugged in Edinburgh and ending up in the Royal when I didn't do the sensible thing until .he pulled a blade. Never been that scared though.

But two stick out.

A bar somewhere near Newcastle with a pool room attached, I was about 16 with my dad. Dad put money on the table and we waited to play, local neds pocket the money expecting my old man to say nothing, he faced them up and quickly things escalated with about 6 of them squaring up to him (and a terrified me). It was the first time I had seen my old man go into hard man mode, they absolutely crapped it and gave him the money back. I then had to play pool.

Other time was walking off Las Ramblas in Barcelona with wife and kids, realised we were being followed. Didn't matter which way we turned 2 blokes were tailing us. Was certain I was going to get a knife pulled on me and we were extremely lucky to spot a policeman, who we walked to and asked for help, blokes disappeared.

Shanks said no

Another one, again involving my old man! Parkhead around 84 and we get near the ground early. Dad and his mate decide they fancy a drink, and spot the Springfield Vaults. Are you being serious? We can't go in there!

Funnily enough I took my boy in there about 20 years later as he had heard the story so many times and wanted to see what all the fuss was about, a far tamer boozer by then.

Football wise visiting Parkhead , Muirton , Easter Rd , Palmerston and Hampden (especially in the 70's)

Pub wise, Ferniehill Inn day after 98 cup final and  the Jolly Farmer one Sunday afternoon .

I once laboured with a very famous hibs casual. We got on great and we didn't talk about football until almost the end. I said i was a jambo and he said mate you are ok but i hope i dont meet you on a Saturday night. I laughed because I thought i was joking. Anyway the next Saturday night i was up town with a few handy guys and this boy was there. We clocked eyes and he came across and said out of respect im not going to do you but i would advise you to leave. People can laugh but i have never felt so scared and i left... 

Central Paris, 2018. Despite walking through many shitholes, this was my worst. The amount of gypsy beggars about and others selling 'merchandise' was unbelievable. Quite a few gypsy's claiming to sign people up for a charity for deaf children. Unlike people in this country though, they wanted your personal details and a cash donation. I quickly spotted it was nonsense and was vigilant, but I turned my back for 2 mins and my girlfriend was surrounded by 4 of them. Then I seen her pull her purse out. I immediately jumped into the crowd and dragged her off, giving them a mouthful of abuse. They followed us down the road, demanding money. Claimed they could hear money in my pocket, it was my bloody house keys which I just always carry around for some reason. 

Also just before that experience, I had a girl who can't have been older than 3 follow me with her hand out expecting money. Horrible experience which just totally put me on edge.

All in the same day, we went up the Eiffel Tower. We decided to take the stairs and made it to the first floor before being contained on the landing on level 1. All of a sudden, there was police everywhere making sure we didn't go down or up, none of them at a liberty to explain why. Eventually we were evacuated back down to the ground, but still contained within the security gates. Then after a while, they just told us we could go back up again. Given all that has gone on in Paris, we feared the worst, but there was no signs of that at all. Just a swift evacuation, then back to normal. Was bizarre.

Brussels wasn't much better for panhandlers either. Although I was only there for a few hours between connecting trains from Cologne to Paris. Every 5 minutes you were being pestered for money by one. Just really put me off.

1 minute ago, LeftBack said:

I once laboured with a very famous hibs casual. We got on great and we didn't talk about football until almost the end. I said i was a jambo and he said mate you are ok but i hope i dont meet you on a Saturday night. I laughed because I thought i was joking. Anyway the next Saturday night i was up town with a few handy guys and this boy was there. We clocked eyes and he came across and said out of respect im not going to do you but i would advise you to leave. People can laugh but i have never felt so scared and i left... 

After the derby in 2010 when Obua scored, I was walking back home. I still stayed with my Mum at the time in Elm Row, and decided to take the walk along Montgomery Street as I knew the area. I walked a little bit along the street, and could notice a group of people and some police gathered at the end of Wellington Street. Sort of knew what it was, but thought that given I was a 15 year old scarfer, I'd be okay. 

All of a sudden, I felt a hand on the shoulder. I turned round and 2 great big unit's stood behind me, one of which with a Hibs polo shirt. They told me they were Hibs casuals, and that I shouldn't be here. I explained I was just trying to get to my Mum's and they told me they'd make sure I got through without a problem, but to be more careful in future. Wasn't really intimidated as such, more shocked and confused about it all. Best part was, I wasn't even wearing colours.

As far as football is concerned, the one that stands out is the John Wilson Celtic game. Never experienced such poison and hatred. At the time I loved it and went along with it all, and perhaps done things I'm not proud of. But, looking back, I can see that the stadium that night, was really not a nice place to be.

Also when I was 17, I decided to go to CP away midweek, 2011. We were flying high and had just beaten Rangers on the Saturday so took a decent crowd through. I went through on the Citylink, then had to get a First bus up towards the ground from there. Some rough looking boy struck up conversation with me about football, and said he was a Celtic fan. I was wearing one of the maroon and gold, Ukio Bankas scarves, which led the boy to think I was a Motherwell fan. I was well out my comfort zone, so decided to go along with it.

Made it to the ground, but got in late and we were 2 down I think. Felt safe in among the Jambos, but sadly after full time, I was back on the streets, heading back to the city centre for a train or bus home. It was all quite uneventful, but I wasn't particularly comfortable walking the streets around the ground in a Hearts scarf. In fairness, I had to ask a few Celtic fans for directions and they were all brand new, and very helpful.

Just now, Locky said:

After the derby in 2010 when Obua scored, I was walking back home. I still stayed with my Mum at the time in Elm Row, and decided to take the walk along Montgomery Street as I knew the area. I walked a little bit along the street, and could notice a group of people and some police gathered at the end of Wellington Street. Sort of knew what it was, but thought that given I was a 15 year old scarfer, I'd be okay. 

All of a sudden, I felt a hand on the shoulder. I turned round and 2 great big unit's stood behind me, one of which with a Hibs polo shirt. They told me they were Hibs casuals, and that I shouldn't be here. I explained I was just trying to get to my Mum's and they told me they'd make sure I got through without a problem, but to be more careful in future. Wasn't really intimidated as such, more shocked and confused about it all. Best part was, I wasn't even wearing colours.

I think without getting all nostalgic there was some code of honour in those days. 

Dagger Is Back

In Kenya in 98 with the wife and staying at the beach in Nairobi.

Was a big Hard Rock Cafe fan so was chuffed when I found one in Nairobi

Booked a taxi to take us there and were shocked at the poverty we saw on the way. Folks living in the streets in cardboard boxes etc - we weren’t ready for that 

Asked the driver to pick us up in two hours.

Got in, place was a bit run down looking and they were keen to serve us. Got a beer,     starter arrived and then 5 minutes later, the mains arrived.

To cut a long story short, we were finished in 45 minutes and suddenly we were the only folks around. 

They started to bring the shutters down on the display cases housing the guitars etc and I was thinking WTF do we do now?

Didn’t have a mobile and didn’t have a number for the driver

We were seriously shitting ourselves. 

We had no option but to ask HRC to get us a taxi back to the hotel which they did

Once we got in, ordeal wasn’t over. Took us a completely different route which took much longer and I genuinely thought we were going to end up as an African crime stat

10 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

I think without getting all nostalgic there was some code of honour in those days. 

I'd like to think so, but how many wee ****s in their ranks would happily target anyone for brownie points.

Actually another true story and @alicante jambo was there... Was in alicante and the family were ill and i went to a quiet bar to watch the British lions. I admit i had a hearts top on. I got a beer and this guy turned and said oi you come here... I did have a wee wobbly until @alicante jambo pulled up his sleeve, showed me his tattoo and said you are sitting with us big man.... And i think we got quite drunk..! 

Edited by LeftBack

6 hours ago, obua said:

Rio de Janeiro ,I was robbed at knife point first night . Even during the day you couldn’t relax as all the locals around you are watching and waiting for you to drop your guard.

Same for me, but without the robbery. Accidentally walked down the street that is literally one back from the Copacabana at night trying to find my hotel. I was absolutely terrified and genuinely in fear for my life for about 10 minutes. 

Got to Suez during he crisis in the early fifties. AroundJuly 1953 was doing my first real fully armed guard guard at a place called Inland Water Terminal just outside Port Said. On this particular guard you climbed steps just like a ladder and went through a trap door into a roofed platform on top of a tower. Your job was to use a searchlight that was on a rail so that you could complete a circle and see the full area.It was impressed on you to ensure that the trap door was bolted so no one could get in to you. I was a fully trained lean mean guardsman until then, I was now an eighteen year old boy who had watched many movies of soldiers sneaking up on each other and ending a life. It was an interesting experience, for the first time in my life I was fully aware that there was serious risk, there were people who were angry at us, and were doing bad things to soldiers ,and here I was ll alone and possibly vulnerable, but after the first two hour stint the second one four hours later was better, and as time went on it became a favourite guard , no walking and playing with a searchlight was not all the bad.

Tommy Brown
11 hours ago, Caramoon said:

Worked with Ferranti in 80s, they were huge in Manchester, too.

4 of us down for a course, hotel not booked.

Ended up in a shithole in a shithole ( Moss End). Went into sports bar for beer and pool table. The weed smell, FFS. We unnerved the locals, seeing 4 neat cut strangers in their pub. Unnerved us as well.

Got into proper hotel the next morning.

10 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

That's what Gilmour St taxi rank was made for.

:yas: