Diggers in trouble : crowdfunding

Sirudi

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Fair enough, I take your point about having to dispose of stock and such like, I hope it all works out.

Cheers thanks 👍🏽

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• spirt of 98

• been here before

• Walter Payton

Jambo 4 Ever
15 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

Why do the Diggers feel they’re so deserving? What about all the other bars who are in the same position?  

This 

Pasquale for King
18 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

This 

We don’t, I’ve explained why on the other page.

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

We don’t, I’ve explained why on the other page.

Is diggers  an independant pub?

or part of a well known edinurgh pub chain?

Pasquale for King
Just now, Tott said:

Is diggers  an independant pub?

or part of a well known edinurgh pub chain?

I explained that too. It’s owned by Heineken and my boss holds the lease. He has recently taken over another pub. Not part of a chain.

On 09/04/2020 at 12:13, Pasquale for King said:

Sorry meant to say bills too, rent to Heineken was suspended after that. Staff costs for around three to four months is around that figure and who knows how long we will be closed for. The consensus seems to be that places where folk gather will be last to reopen. 

Does this mean you're effectively receiving full pay?

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, maroonlegions said:

Hope the Tynie Arms disnae go bust.

I hope so too.

Pasquale for King
11 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Does this mean you're effectively receiving full pay?

Yes, on an average of February’s wages. 

JudyJudyJudy
On 09/04/2020 at 09:53, jambogaz1968 said:

Really , what's wrong with the beer ? , also they have the best pub pies in Edinburgh and the are cheap , The Diggers is 100% better than that overpriced shithole (Caley sample rooms) along the road from it .

wish u hadnt mentioned their pies....im now craving one...

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

wish u hadnt mentioned their pies....im now craving one...

We get them from Mark Mcgills butchers in Currie and he has the shop at Slateford. I’m not sure if they’re still open, I can’t see Mark closing if he doesn’t have to as he’s a workaholic who hates taking more than a few days off.

Pasquale for King

Hey all Kev here. Firstly I hope you and your family are healthy. Like you all I’m missing the football like crazy. Pasquale has tried to convey our position I’d just like to reiterate it. 
I love the Diggers, it’s the customers make it special. We aren’t part of a chain, however the building is owned by Heineken. Im ‘tied’ to buy my beer, bottles and cans from them at prices far greater than if I was the free of tie. 
Prior to this crisis we were trading well, really well. We had our most successful financial year ever. We had a vat bill that was paid in full on the 11th March.  The week after trade was well down on usual. Football was being cancelled and social distancing had been in effect for a while. I had a bit of an emotional wobble. Rumours of a 12 week shut down scared the life out of me. Grants were announced in England, my brewery deferred (not cancelled) April’s rent and next years rates would be nil. I was asked by customers to set up a page as many of them wanted to help. 

Obviously many bills would be reduced with closing. Many of the bigger companies making much larger profit were sacking  staff left right and centre, in some cases making them homeless too. Right from start the staff knew they’d be paid in full for as long as I could. I made appointments to remortgage my home. Our weekly wage bill for staff is around £2k. With a minimum 12 week shut down thats where I got the headline figure from. The staff are all I was interested in helping. 

There was cash set aside to pay VAT and nearly 3 months of bills excluding wages. The loans weren’t an option, my bank obviously know the tied pub model is flawed and apr’s of 20% were being talked about.

After setting up the fund the Scottish government announced their help to the industry and Furlough was announced by the government. Once the grant hits my account (I’m rather sceptical by nature) I will cancel the fund and all money will be returned. Most of the donations weren’t in cash as such but advanced payments for exclusive merchandise and exclusive whisky tastings. These can still be purchased if needed. 

As I said I love that pub, I’m just the lucky custodian for the time being. It doesn’t belong to Heineken or me but to the people of Gorgie and Edinburgh. I make no apologies if it’s crass. I did what I had to at a given moment of time to make sure the pub will be here for future generations. 

Thanks to Pasquale for posting this on my behalf. I really can’t wait to see you all on the other side.

been here before
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

We get them from Mark Mcgills butchers in Currie and he has the shop at Slateford. I’m not sure if they’re still open, I can’t see Mark closing if he doesn’t have to as he’s a workaholic who hates taking more than a few days off.

The Slateford shop was open when I cycled past yesterday.

Pasquale for King
Just now, been here before said:

The Slateford shop was open when I cycled past yesterday.

I thought they would be, Polish butchers in gorgie is open and my mate Ryan is busier than ever in North Berwick.

The Real Maroonblood
50 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The one in Currie is open.

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The one in Currie is open.

Good stuff, don’t know if I can get up there and back in one hour 🤔😆.

The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Good stuff, don’t know if I can get up there and back in one hour 🤔😆.

Wait until Monday when it’s open.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Wait until Monday when it’s open.

Yeah I can’t climb in back windows anymore 😜

The Real Maroonblood
50 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah I can’t climb in back windows anymore 😜

:laugh:

spirt of 98
4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hey all Kev here. Firstly I hope you and your family are healthy. Like you all I’m missing the football like crazy. Pasquale has tried to convey our position I’d just like to reiterate it. 
I love the Diggers, it’s the customers make it special. We aren’t part of a chain, however the building is owned by Heineken. Im ‘tied’ to buy my beer, bottles and cans from them at prices far greater than if I was the free of tie. 
Prior to this crisis we were trading well, really well. We had our most successful financial year ever. We had a vat bill that was paid in full on the 11th March.  The week after trade was well down on usual. Football was being cancelled and social distancing had been in effect for a while. I had a bit of an emotional wobble. Rumours of a 12 week shut down scared the life out of me. Grants were announced in England, my brewery deferred (not cancelled) April’s rent and next years rates would be nil. I was asked by customers to set up a page as many of them wanted to help. 

Obviously many bills would be reduced with closing. Many of the bigger companies making much larger profit were sacking  staff left right and centre, in some cases making them homeless too. Right from start the staff knew they’d be paid in full for as long as I could. I made appointments to remortgage my home. Our weekly wage bill for staff is around £2k. With a minimum 12 week shut down thats where I got the headline figure from. The staff are all I was interested in helping. 

There was cash set aside to pay VAT and nearly 3 months of bills excluding wages. The loans weren’t an option, my bank obviously know the tied pub model is flawed and apr’s of 20% were being talked about.

After setting up the fund the Scottish government announced their help to the industry and Furlough was announced by the government. Once the grant hits my account (I’m rather sceptical by nature) I will cancel the fund and all money will be returned. Most of the donations weren’t in cash as such but advanced payments for exclusive merchandise and exclusive whisky tastings. These can still be purchased if needed. 

As I said I love that pub, I’m just the lucky custodian for the time being. It doesn’t belong to Heineken or me but to the people of Gorgie and Edinburgh. I make no apologies if it’s crass. I did what I had to at a given moment of time to make sure the pub will be here for future generations. 

Thanks to Pasquale for posting this on my behalf. I really can’t wait to see you all on the other side.

So Heineken own the pub you can’t pay them and they then offer the lease to someone else and boom the Diggers is back with the same customers. 

That’s capitalism my friend. You should have prepared by having a good wedge set aside for a rainy day. Bet you rock about in a fancy car and live in an expensive property. 

If I couldn’t pay my bills would you be helping me. Didn’t think so for that reason am out. 

Honestly the Millennials think the world owes them a living.  

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

So Heineken own the pub you can’t pay them and they then offer the lease to someone else and boom the Diggers is back with the same customers. 

That’s capitalism my friend. You should have prepared by having a good wedge set aside for a rainy day. Bet you rock about in a fancy car and live in an expensive property. 

If I couldn’t pay my bills would you be helping me. Didn’t think so for that reason am out. 

Speaking off my own back here I think that a change of licensee might see the pub go in a different direction and the customer base might change.
The staff there at the moment would lose their jobs, me included.

As I said before if we could help you in any way we would. 

You are right though that is capitalism.

AngleParkMenace
1 hour ago, spirt of 98 said:

Did you miss the bit about the money being paid back?

Walter Payton

Thinks a millennial might be in a position to have the lease of a place like the Diggers. 

Misses the part "There was cash set aside to pay VAT and nearly 3 months of bills"

Can't even spell the first word of their own username.

This poster's opinion is not to be taken seriously :D

Walter Payton
7 minutes ago, AngleParkMenace said:

Did you miss the bit about the money being paid back?

Tell him about the Hearts jersey photo that's going up, that will endear you to him :D 

spirt of 98

Got to love this forum, not allowed to have an opinion.

So what if they are paying it back shouldn’t ask in the first place. Greed! 

Walter Payton
Just now, spirt of 98 said:

Got to love this forum, not allowed to have an opinion.

So what if they are paying it back shouldn’t ask in the first place. Greed! 

You're perfectly entitled to have an opinion. I'm perfectly entitled to point out all the reasons I believe your opinion's worth shite. 

been here before
2 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

I love halfwits that do this shite as if it proves them right.

Type a question, poster has no way of answering or refuting then types "Didnt think so". Its bairns stuff.

Do you disagree you're a halfwit? No didnt think so. For that reason Im sure you agree you're best dingied.

Thought so.

Edited by been here before

spirt of 98
12 hours ago, been here before said:

I love halfwits that do this shite as if it proves them right.

Type a question, poster has no way of answering or refuting then types "Didnt think so". Its bairns stuff.

Do you disagree you're a halfwit? No didnt think so. For that reason Im sure you agree you're best dingied.

Thought so.

Great argument you have there. Do you have a team of monkeys working round the clock working on your posts? 

Seriously whats next The Beijing Banquet setting up a crowd funding page and muppets coming on here saying on naw I once had a nice king prawn there I’ll lob in some candy. Do one ya wallopers. 

I am sure there are many charities in need of money that deserve it more than a boozer who’s landlord will be relatively well off. Probably over stretched with a big mortgage and car loan. Folk think the world owes them. 

spirt of 98
12 hours ago, Bring on the Future said:

You're perfectly entitled to have an opinion. I'm perfectly entitled to point out all the reasons I believe your opinion's worth shite. 

I’ll no even argue with that. I’ve always been brought up not to argue with idiots as you’ll never win. 

spirt of 98
On 09/04/2020 at 10:16, Ribble said:

There will be many many business's that go to the wall due to this, that said those that survive will do so because they have been managed responsibly and followed standard audit/accounting advice to have reserves of 3 months worth of outgoings. I understand not all companies can manage that, especially those that are relatively new but for somewhere like the diggers that has been operating for decades not to have that level of reserves is just irresponsible. I'll happily support any of the pubs around Tynie once football resumes by buying a pint, i'm just not handing over free cash

This I like. Level headed response to freeloaders. 

shaun.lawson
14 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

freeloaders. 

Question: where is your income from?

You also get a pint with a £4 donation so it's hardly handing over money for nothing.  Few folk have jumped in with the 'freeloader' crap without even reading the page. 

spirt of 98
49 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Question: where is your income from?

What relevance does my source of income have? 

Edited by spirt of 98

Seymour M Hersh

Why did they get rid of the maroon frontage and replace it with sort of fawny brown colour?  

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

spirt of 98

Do you know what this sort of thing really annoys me.

We have NHS staff busting gut to save lives, homeless people, children in poverty and some boozer starts asking for charity and mugs will chip in. 

I’d rather give my cash to real deserving people not some big business that owns several pubs in Edinburgh. 

As for folk having a pop at me for having an opinion hahahahaha.

A counter argument would be nice not just having a go but of course that’s all some knuckle draggers are capable of calling people names behind a keyboard. 

you’d definitely not call me a prick to my face. 

been here before

Great argument you have there. Do you have a team of monkeys working round the clock working on your posts? 

Seriously whats next The Beijing Banquet setting up a crowd funding page and muppets coming on here saying on naw I once had a nice king prawn there I’ll lob in some candy. Do one ya wallopers. 

I am sure there are many charities in need of money that deserve it more than a boozer who’s landlord will be relatively well off. Probably over stretched with a big mortgage and car loan. Folk think the world owes them. 

It wasnt supposed to be an "argument". Its more a point about the puerile manner of your post.

Do you understand that child like simplistic point? No didnt think so.

Apologies if its difficult for you. 

spirt of 98
2 minutes ago, been here before said:

It wasnt supposed to be an "argument". Its more a point about the puerile manner of your post.

Do you understand that child like simplistic point? No didnt think so.

Apologies if its difficult for you. 

That’s your opinion! I was illustrating my point for the hard of thinking on here and required to take it to their level to do so. 

Thanks for pointing out that I achieved my goal. 

shaun.lawson
16 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

What relevance does my source of income have? 

Every relevance when you're going around calling others 'freeloaders' for the crime of the economy having been closed down by a global pandemic. And when you're employing cliched, fact free drivel about millennials too. 

You wouldn't happen to be a total hypocrite on all this, would you?

been here before
4 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

That’s your opinion! I was illustrating my point for the hard of thinking on here and required to take it to their level to do so. 

Thanks for pointing out that I achieved my goal. 

Thats the spirt.

spirt of 98
5 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Every relevance when you're going around calling others 'freeloaders' for the crime of the economy having been closed down by a global pandemic. And when you're employing cliched, fact free drivel about millennials too. 

You wouldn't happen to be a total hypocrite on all this, would you?

I’ll explain it for you it’s called capitalism there are winners and there are losers. 

I blame the Government for bailing the banks out. People know seem to think that they will be bailed out when ever they fail. 

And no I am not a hypocrite! 

Edited by spirt of 98

gashauskis9
20 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Stay safe Kev and team.  Looking forward to my first pint when we’re back to normality 👍

shaun.lawson
1 minute ago, spirt of 98 said:

I’ll explain it for you it’s called capitalism their are winners and there are losers. 

I blame the Government for bailing the banks out. People know seem to think that they will be bailed out when ever they fail. 

And no I am not a hypocrite! 

You still haven't answered the question. Where is your income from and how did you make it? 

fabienleclerq
15 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

We have NHS staff busting gut to save lives, homeless people, children in poverty and some boozer starts asking for charity and mugs will chip in. 

I’d rather give my cash to real deserving people not some big business that owns several pubs in Edinburgh. 

A counter argument would be nice not just having a go but of course that’s all some knuckle draggers are capable of calling people names behind a keyboard. 

Give your money to the NHS or a homeless charity then. No one is forced to give money to the diggers. 

The guy has came on and explained what it was for and that he wanted to pay staff. I know plenty people on 80% and if I read correctly he's paying them their full wage. 

Read your first post again, you dont come across well at all. 

If anyone is being a keyboard warrior it's yourself. 

What's the point in getting worked up ?!?!

I'm sure many people would call you a prick to your face (maybe in a few months as social distancing would possibly cause issues) but so what mate ? Get a grip with the key board warrior chat on an internet fans forum where no one can actually see each other !!! You have you opinion which is perfectly valid, many others have a different opinion.  A company is asking for help to pay their employees , so what ?!?!?

We are in difficult times, I'd rather be asked for help than watch the employees potentially end up jobless and homeless .

I'd then need to pay more to homeless charities and NHS charities may need more help as well , which in reality wouldnt filter down to LOCAL people! 

I'll be honest I looked at this the other day and thought " I've never drank there so why would I help" that was my decision , I didn't feel a need to berate the people/person asking for help !!!

You have just made me do a Dundee !!!! 

On 09/04/2020 at 11:32, Pasquale for King said:

Yes it was started before the furlough scheme, all money will be returned if not required.

Hi mate, trying to DM you. But wont let you receive message.

Hi mate , saw the post you have up with regards to The Diggers.

I live locally but have never drank in the pub and after seeing the chat, I'd like to see if I could possibly help??

Im not in a position to donate any money , however I own a US Masters pin flag from 2000, which was won by Vijay Singh. The flag is signed by Vijay Singh, 1999 winner Jose Maria Olazabel, Nick Price and a couple others.  Its sat in a cupboard for 20 years and I'd be more than happy to donate it to you guys to be raffled off. 

If it would help the pub , Brilliant , or feel free to donate any proceeds to another local charity.

(I'll send a couple pictures of flag this afternoon if your able to DM me an email address )

4 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

Did you read the fundraiser page? You aren't getting nothing for your money.  

spirt of 98
5 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

You still haven't answered the question. Where is your income from and how did you make it? 

That’s because that is none of your business! 

I am not on a football forum begging! 

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Stu03q285 said:

Hi mate, trying to DM you. But wont let you receive message.

Hi mate , saw the post you have up with regards to The Diggers.

I live locally but have never drank in the pub and after seeing the chat, I'd like to see if I could possibly help??

Im not in a position to donate any money , however I own a US Masters pin flag from 2000, which was won by Vijay Singh. The flag is signed by Vijay Singh, 1999 winner Jose Maria Olazabel, Nick Price and a couple others.  Its sat in a cupboard for 20 years and I'd be more than happy to donate it to you guys to be raffled off. 

If it would help the pub , Brilliant , or feel free to donate any proceeds to another local charity.

(I'll send a couple pictures of flag this afternoon if your able to DM me an email address )

What a generous offer.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

That’s because that is none of your business! 

I am not on a football forum begging! 

We didn’t put this up on here.

As for me I’ve donated £20 to Stranraer, Edinburgh City and East Fife as a thank you for not voting to relegate Hearts. When it’s possible I will contribute to the other clubs that didn’t vote to put us down too, they don’t have any way to donate just now.

I’m going to increase my FOH sub too.

FCC2E7A8-0B24-4933-A9C9-729A11B7A18B.jpeg

B35A381D-D47F-4F7B-AFF9-C3DEE2C80A4D.jpeg

E6446F0A-3326-42F6-8D1F-806618F46382.png

D7D819DF-F12C-4A1B-9BA8-FBD6B94F138A.jpeg

BFAD9DBB-1E55-4780-AE1D-CCCF9ED93B41.jpeg

• davemclaren locked this topic