Colin Cameron Signs

Skippy Doodle

Skippy Doodle
On This Day

24 years ago we signed Colin Cameron from Raith Rovers - Please share your memories of him on the thread - New video containing 43 of his strikes for us is on this link

An outstanding signing . Superb player who’s right up there with the best we’ve had since I started watching us 35 years ago

4 minutes ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

If I told you we signed him by mistake, would you believe me?

Not heard that one???????

Everybody Loves Baz!
Just now, Marvin said:

Not heard that one???????

We were meant to sign Stevie Crawford and mixed up the paperwork.

A story Les Porteous told me years ago in his Boozer.

Fozzyonthefence
22 minutes ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

If I told you we signed him by mistake, would you believe me?

No

Fozzyonthefence
17 minutes ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

And you believed him?😂😂

What a signing....an absolute 1st class footballer...

Did we end up stealing him for 250K plus John Millar if memory serves me?

Was worth his weight in gold for us and criminally under used by Scotland.

A player that can run with the ball from midfield? Don’t make them like they used to!

Definitely one of my all time favourites. CC was for any situation, good times and bad.  Hugely instrumental in digging us out our 1998-99 hole. 

Everything rolled into one. Quality, bottle, warrior.  

1 hour ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

Correct, initially bid for both but money Raith were asking meant it was one or the other and JJ mixed up the names and said 'get me the striker, Cameron'. JJ only realised when he was called down to the pitch to do the scarf above the head pic

Everybody Loves Baz!
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

And you believed him?😂😂

I know a lot more than you know that's for sure.

Now toodlepip your way back to slagging the clubs finances off on other threads please, there's a good boy. 

Everybody Loves Baz!
28 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Correct, initially bid for both but money Raith were asking meant it was one or the other and JJ mixed up the names and said 'get me the striker, Cameron'. JJ only realised when he was called down to the pitch to do the scarf above the head pic

Thanks for the backing mate. Like I said, we've been told stories not many would believe on here. Especially when we worked at Tynie lol.

2 minutes ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

Thanks for the backing mate. Like I said, we've been told stories not many would believe on here. Especially when we worked at Tynie lol.

Yeah not sure whether half of them are funny or just downright scary tbh

Everybody Loves Baz!
Just now, Ribble said:

Yeah not sure whether half of them are funny or just downright scary tbh

Both.

Skippy Doodle
2 minutes ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

That’s a crazy but fun story. Maybe one day I will put a video together of the greatest hearts stories told through anonymous sources haha

1 minute ago, Skippy Doodle said:

That’s a crazy but fun story. Maybe one day I will put a video together of the greatest hearts stories told through anonymous sources haha

It'd be a full length feature film just from what me and Baz have heard over the years haha

Everybody Loves Baz!
1 minute ago, Skippy Doodle said:

That's not anonymous though.

I told you who told me.

I can also tell you when we first started a Fitbaw team from Les's pub, after a few weeks of working at Tynie, one Sunday playing a match, it took Les most of the pre-match warm up fo him to realise that we were wearing players warm up gear we had managed to borrow from the Tynie laundry room. Our wee midfield dynamo was quite happily fannying about in Zico's number 2 clobber. And I'm sure someone had taken set of boots too??

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Cameron was one of the best, instrumental in the 97/98 cup winning season and deadly from 12 yards.

And his return from long term injury the following season may well have saved us from relegation.

Fozzyonthefence
18 minutes ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

I know a lot more than you know that's for sure.

Now toodlepip your way back to slagging the clubs finances off on other threads please, there's a good boy. 

Where have I slagged off our finances?  

I still don’t believe it.

3 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

An outstanding signing . Superb player who’s right up there with the best we’ve had since I started watching us 35 years ago

This. Never gave less than 100%. Would be the first name on my favourite Hearts players list

An exciting signing at an exciting time.  You could see JJ  building a team supplementing the young players coming through with signings like Weir, Fulton, McCann, Hamilton, Adam, Flogel, Salvatori.....  A great team rewarded with Scottish Cup and who weren't a million miles from winning the league.  Sadly the team broke up almost as quickly as it came together.  But Mickey, yeah a proper signing.  

Chuffed when we signed Colin. Even more so when we added Weir and McCann a few months later. 

As Brian Clough said: "There's no secret to success, just buy good players". 

JJ certainly did. Adam and Flogel the year after completed the jigsaw. 

Pants Shaton

Incredible player. 97/98 was the best Hearts team in my 40+ year lifetime - if we could have beaten Rangers and Celtic just once each in that league!!

The Real Maroonblood
29 minutes ago, Pants Shaton said:

Incredible player. 97/98 was the best Hearts team in my 40+ year lifetime - if we could have beaten Rangers and Celtic just once each in that league!!

I'm sure about Xmas time we started picking up a few injuries to key players.

This probably cost us winning the league as well.

I think I've made my feelings clear on Mickey many a time on here. I'd rather not creep everyone out again but, suffice to say, I'd have his babies. Hunners o' them. 

ford donald
7 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Remeber his manager at the time saying you are getting a top top player,cheaply.

Was his first game a midweek against Rangers?  Gazza didn't like Mickey biting his ankles.

What a player Mickey was for us.  And with Salvatori and Fulton an incredible blend in midfield.

What a player he was.

The difference he made when he came back from a lengthy injury at the tail end of the 98/99 season was remarkable.

2 hours ago, martoon said:

Chuffed when we signed Colin. Even more so when we added Weir and McCann a few months later. 

As Brian Clough said: "There's no secret to success, just buy good players". 

JJ certainly did. Adam and Flogel the year after completed the jigsaw. 

You can be accused of being misty eyed or wearing the nostalgic specs when looking back but football really is average nowadays isn’t it? ( the SPL).  I’m not just talking about Hearts either. 

But you look at some of the old footage (ffs I’m calling it old from 20-25 years ago😁) and the slick play, technique , just general play was better. Football is so one paced at times now, lacking of intelligence or players too deliberate in possession with no confidence to play quicker.  

Some players lauded at Hearts now wouldn’t be near first pick in Hearts sides during the mid to late 90s.  

Edited by Debut 4

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

You can be accused of being misty eyed or wearing the nostalgic specs when looking back but football really is average nowadays isn’t it? ( the SPL).  I’m not just talking about Hearts either. 

But you look at some of the old footage (ffs I’m calling it old from 20-25 years ago😁) and the slick play, technique , just general play was better. Football is so one paced at times now, lacking of intelligence or players too deliberate in possession with no confidence to play quicker.  

Some players lauded at Hearts now wouldn’t be near first pick in Hearts sides during the mid to late 90s.  

The game is made to complicated nowadays when in reality it's a simple game.

Салатные палочки

An excellent wee player. Scored on his debut v. his old team IIRC. 

Players like that don't come cheap these days that's probably why we haven't signed one like him. 

17 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The game is made to complicated nowadays when in reality it's a simple game.

Agree.  You’ve got coaches too always wanting to look the genius.

49 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Aye. Feel the same, bud. Even stuff from just a few years ago looks like a different game altogether. Thoroughly enjoyed the recent rerun of 5-1 but, feck me, it also made me depressed  about how slow paced, rigid and clueless we are now. 

@Skippy Doodlehunted down highlights of one of my favourite games a while back: Hearts 4 Dundee 2, 1987/88. It's different planet stuff. Two really good teams, attacking intent from start to finish, with simple aims: scoring goals and winning. 

Today's football, and the fearful approach to it, is soul destroying at times. 

Edited by martoon

Guest ToqueJambo

I've never been sadder or more worried when a player left us than when Micky left, not even when Robbo left for Newcastle. He was so influential for us. Irreplaceable.

4 hours ago, martoon said:

Aye. Feel the same, bud. Even stuff from just a few years ago looks like a different game altogether. Thoroughly enjoyed the recent rerun of 5-1 but, feck me, it also made me depressed  about how slow paced, rigid and clueless we are now. 

@Skippy Doodlehunted down highlights of one of my favourite games a while back: Hearts 4 Dundee 2, 1987/88. It's different planet stuff. Two really good teams, attacking intent from start to finish, with simple aims: scoring goals and winning. 

Today's football, and the fearful approach to it, is soul destroying at times. 

Spot on. 

Bazzas right boot
11 hours ago, Pants Shaton said:

Yeah. 

Best footballing side u seen as well. 

The transformation was incredible. 

Absolute shite to smashing teams home and away. 

Unfortunately celtic and rangers were miles ahead and iirc hammered us a good few times. 

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

To an extent. 

But tbh I remember some games in the mid nineties and they were horrible. 

God awful stuff from both sides on the park. 

The Tommy Maclean season... 

Bazzas right boot

Got to shake the man's hand on stage at the Aberdeen game in hospitality, I was cheesing.