Jump to content
rudi must stay

Joe wicks

Recommended Posts

sadj
7 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

His recipes are high in calories and his workouts are murder 👍🏻
Good what he’s doing for kids though.


Exactly

 

 

1 hour ago, Lovecraft said:

I would just like to add I think he is a prick too

 


I rate this comment highly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tuco Salamanca

All this let's get fitness crap will fade away its all a novelty just now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rudi must stay
52 minutes ago, Tuco Salamanca said:

All this let's get fitness crap will fade away its all a novelty just now. 

 

Fitness is here to stay 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Siphiwe Tshabalala

He might be a prick, but he is marketable to all ages. Fair play, at least he cares about children getting some exercise prior to this Covid meltdown.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rudi must stay
27 minutes ago, Siphiwe Tshabalala said:

He might be a prick, but he is marketable to all ages. Fair play, at least he cares about children getting some exercise prior to this Covid meltdown.

 

 

 

I think he is a ***** yes, you can see it was an act when he got his kid involved.  Sort of doing it to be honest to see if he's going to explode one day. It's all a bit of an act 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rudi must stay
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Siphiwe Tshabalala said:

He might be a prick, but he is marketable to all ages. Fair play, at least he cares about children getting some exercise prior to this Covid meltdown.

 

 

 

This comment reminds me of Ricky Gervais' doing a marathon in Africa for starving kids line in the Office. But you're right to be fair

Edited by rudi must stay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Der Kaiser

An Achilles tear live on air would be...

 

A

MAZE

ZING

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
9 hours ago, Siphiwe Tshabalala said:

He might be a prick, but he is marketable to all ages. Fair play, at least he cares about children getting some exercise prior to this Covid meltdown.

 

 


marketable is one thing , good is very different. As you may have noticed , People are happy to say he is getting kids active (not fit). He has a brand , that is his sole focus and he is money orientated not people orientated. What he gives you is a **** about that the kids will enjoy. 
 

Think about it like this i could put a celebs face on a green tea and tell you it is the best fat burner tea ever in the history of the world...will it sell?

 

Yes , because the celeb is marketable - will it do anything for you? It’ll do the same as any green tea it’ll activate your metabolism slightly.

 

Will it rip fat off you and make you healthier anf fitter - No

 

Same principle as Wicks and his products with being active and being fit or healthy.

 

@ri Alban

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

 

I think he is a ***** yes, you can see it was an act when he got his kid involved.  Sort of doing it to be honest to see if he's going to explode one day. It's all a bit of an act 


Thats unfortunately spot on. Its a shame he has a huge platform where he could be doing good.

 

Hi im Rob can I pt you - hi rob yes you can will you teach me to leg press 1500lbs please. yes i can but it will take a long time , although why bother take these steroids and half ass it and we’ll cheat you into doing it quicker and badly but itll look good

Edited by sadj

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rudi must stay
5 hours ago, sadj said:


Thats unfortunately spot on. Its a shame he has a huge platform where he could be doing good.

 

Hi im Rob can I pt you - hi rob yes you can will you teach me to leg press 1500lbs please. yes i can but it will take a long time , although why bother take these steroids and half ass it and we’ll cheat you into doing it quicker and badly but itll look good

 

Ye using kids doesn't sit well with me tbh. A week of him is quite enough for me 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Natural Orders
On 27/03/2020 at 18:43, sadj said:


To keep fit you need to do the correct things.

He has got kids active during this he is sure as **** not getting people fit at home in the way you suggest. 
 

If you don’t know about a subject keep schtuum when it comes to giving people abuse on it ie @ri Alban who did not deserve your response ya wee troll. 
 

Joe Wicks has made a brand out of someone elses ideas and he does not give you proper info to do what you need to. That to anyone in the game is a prick a self righteous one who is more interested in money than people....

We will just have to agree to disagree 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brunstanejambo

Not sure what the basis for the seethe about him on here is.

 

My Mrs has been following him on facebook/instagram for a good 6+ years from back when he was a PT with nothing but a push-bike and trailer full of gear doing boot-camp sessions a few times a week in Richmond Park, and posting what he made for his dinner on social media. She then signed up to his lean-in-15 fitness plan 5 years ago - £99 for 3 months worth of tasty, healthy, nutritious calorie-controlled meals and a work-out plan that was tailored to her individual requirements*. Worked wonders for her - she lost a decent bit of weight, toned up and has kept if off ever since by following his advice. As a result of that 3 month meal plan we now all eat far healthier food in my house.

 

Compare that to her recently signing up to a local PT for a bit of a more personal experience - £120 for a month of group fitness sessions at a local gym and a generic diet plan that consisted of 5 meal-plans that included fizzy juice, crisps, supermarket sandwiches and chocolate bars FFS!!

 

Yeah - Joe Wicks might not be everyone's taste (he irritates me with his cockney Jamie Oliver type mannerisms), and he may not be the worlds most best fitness trainer and nutritionist if you're on a mission to be the next Mr Universe; but he's not claiming to be that. He just wants to help people get a bit fitter and and healthier.
Is he managing that? Yes.

Is he making a fortune out of that? Yes.

Are some people jealous of the success that he has had? Seems like it...

 

* yes, i know that it was probably not actually tailored to her individual requirements, but she answered a big long questionnaire about her lifestyle, dietary habits, fitness regime etc and got a big thick meal plan sent back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

 

Ye using kids doesn't sit well with me tbh. A week of him is quite enough for me 


👍🏻

 

1 hour ago, Natural Orders said:

We will just have to agree to disagree 


No doubt mr expert on everything 👍🏻


@brunstanejambo jealousy is not part of it. First off most PTs can not give you a diet plan its illegal , they can advise you. Whoever is doing that for your wife , get her away from them. Thats scandalous and fitness is fical it could push her backwards which after the journey you describe would be a shame. (This is why good pts are often disillusioned with the industry) 

 

The reason people in the industry don’t like him is explained several times above. There is a huge difference between being a bad fitness trainer , using a gimmick and doing it badly to what PTing is. What he does is essentially what you said the PT above does but with “safer” control limits. Its generic and it will work in essence for most. That doesnt mean it is correct nor that it is healthy. He has a brand and that has been built on foundations good PTs would not use and a lot of bad movements , that is irrelevant to whether it is you trying to do something toward your fitness or mr universe training.
 

Check out people like Clare Rafferty (Raffitness) she has a brand but puts the work in for each individual. That is PTing. Thats a massive difference. If i did his lean in 15 id be unhealthy. Horses for courses as they say. 

 

A lot of us hope this crash in the market will drive some of the solely money orientated people out and get it back to being about people and their needs mental and physical. I could go on but JiH will tell me he knows better so....

 

Well done to your wife and thats awesome shes kept it off and stay healthy and more importantly through this safe 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Natural Orders
2 minutes ago, sadj said:


👍🏻

 


No doubt mr expert on everything 👍🏻


@brunstanejambo jealousy is not part of it. First off most PTs can not give you a diet plan its illegal , they can advise you. Whoever is doing that for your wife , get her away from them. Thats scandalous and fitness is fical it could push her backwards which after the journey you describe would be a shame. (This is why good pts are often disillusioned with the industry) 

 

The reason people in the industry don’t like him is explained several times above. There is a huge difference between being a bad fitness trainer , using a gimmick and doing it badly to what PTing is. What he does is essentially what you said the PT above does but with “safer” control limits. Its generic and it will work in essence for most. That doesnt mean it is correct nor that it is healthy. He has a brand and that has been built on foundations good PTs would not use and a lot of bad movements , that is irrelevant to whether it is you trying to do something toward your fitness or mr universe training.
 

Check out people like Clare Rafferty (Raffitness) she has a brand but puts the work in for each individual. That is PTing. Thats a massive difference. If i did his lean in 15 id be unhealthy. Horses for courses as they say. 

 

A lot of us hope this crash in the market will drive some of the solely money orientated people out and get it back to being about people and their needs mental and physical. I could go on but JiH will tell me he knows better so....

 

Well done to your wife and thats awesome shes kept it off and stay healthy and more importantly through this safe 
 

 

He is also donating any money he makes to NHS

 

so no need to call him names 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
1 minute ago, Natural Orders said:

He is also donating any money he makes to NHS

 

so no need to call him names 


I wonder how you make it through a day.

 

Joe Wicks PE teacher is fine and doing a good thing getting kids active during lockdown (simple enough?) 

 

Joe Wicks - Lean in 15 , body coach etc , bad PT , not good , poor , has built a brand on things PTs shouldnt. (Simple enough?)

 

Two different things JiH , it is not hard.
 

He is donating his you tube pe lesson profits to NHS not every penny he makes in lockdown. It is superb he is doing that - no idea could be thousands but no matter what it is superb and helps the NHS (Simple enough?) 

 

That does not mean he is not a prick....

 

Ever heard of drug dealers who help their communities? I could name a few are they good guys too can i not call them names? 🙈🙈🙈

 

Seriously.....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fabienleclerq

Donating all the YouTube revenue to the NHS while he is the "nations P.E teacher". 

 

Guid lad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Governor Tarkin
On 27/03/2020 at 09:35, sadj said:


😂😂😂 how you and the family coping with the necessary lunacy? 

 

We're absolutlely tip-top, sadj, my old buddy. Thanks for asking 👍

 

The boy is blissfully unaware of the existential shitstorm going on around him, and Ms Tarkin is as basically as hard as ****.

 

She's in for her 12 week scan on Monday so is keeping herself well together for that. I'm allowed to chum her in but can't go in to the business room, which is totally cool with me.

 

These are funny old times but I'm seeing much more of the good in humanity up to this point. Glass half full and that. 😎

 

How you doing anyway? I suppose your supply of bored housewives needing some personal training has dried up a bit. Not to worry, lad. A couple of months down the line you'll be in for quite the time.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brunstanejambo

@sadj -

 

I've re read through this and from what I can tell you think he's a "prick" and a "walloper" because what he does is 'basically a rehash of an older book with pretty pictures', "he has made a brand out of someone elses ideas and he does not give you proper info to do what you need to" and "His recipes are high in calories and his workouts are murder".

 

A quick look through his books this morning shows me that he is advising to eat home cooked meals like chicken, salmon, steak and veg in reasonable sized portions; whilst laying of the chips, burgers and pizzas from takeaways.
He's also advocating that you do HIIT and weights 3-4 times a week for 30mins or so.

 

Your opinion is backed by the fact that he did a cross kick wrong, that he was out of breath after a work out and he does things improperly.
It also looks like there's a lass in Australia that does the same (based on weightwatchers) that you're not a fan of either.

 

Then, you advise to have a look at Clare Rafferty as a good example - which I did.
She seems to be advising you get fitter and healthier by eating well and exercising more, but without signing up to one of her monthly plans (£10 a month for access to home workouts, or £200 a month for 2x30min 1:1 phone calls) it's difficult for me to judge exactly what she is doing that is unique and groundbreaking.
I'd imagine that she is telling people to eat more chicken, salmon, steak and veg whilst laying of the chips burgers and pizzas;  then doing a bit of HIIT and weights. In other words, a rehash of things that other fitness instructors have already been telling people for decades.
She's got a degree in English, Film and Media and an MSc in Gender Studies - and has worked in fitness related roles (some part time as a student from what I can tell)  for a good 5 years less than Joe Wicks who actually had a degree in Sports Science.

 

So, thanks for the advice - but I'll stick to following Joe Wicks and his fitness advice / recipe ideas as he's:
a) actually qualified with some sort of fitness related degree
b) more experienced
c) not asking for between £10-£200 a month

 

I'm sure that none of what I have said above will change your opinion that he is a prick and a walloper and that your good example is just another version of him, but that's the great thing about opinions - everyone's got one, and we don't all have to have the same one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
9 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

 

We're absolutlely tip-top, sadj, my old buddy. Thanks for asking 👍

 

The boy is blissfully unaware of the existential shitstorm going on around him, and Ms Tarkin is as basically as hard as ****.

 

She's in for her 12 week scan on Monday so is keeping herself well together for that. I'm allowed to chum her in but can't go in to the business room, which is totally cool with me.

 

These are funny old times but I'm seeing much more of the good in humanity up to this point. Glass half full and that. 😎

 

How you doing anyway? I suppose your supply of bored housewives needing some personal training has dried up a bit. Not to worry, lad. A couple of months down the line you'll be in for quite the time.

 

 


Glad to hear you are all well , are you confined to home or just on leave? Yh there is definitely a lot of decent hoomans out there shining through in this. 
 

Was reading that thinking , whats happened , no cheek so far and positivity....then boom there it us 😂😂😂

 

Im quite lucky for now as im studying to progress further so , iv not been affected so far outside of lockdown. Just helping the neighbours , training , out with the doggo and doing some challenges with groups and a few people I know to try and keep their social media followers active which is over a million , plus who they pass them on to. So hopefully its helping them a wee bit. 
 

All got to just take care of each other best we can and support each others mental well being and we will hopefully come out this stronger. 
 

Hope monday goes perfectly , keep safe

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
4 minutes ago, brunstanejambo said:

@sadj -

 

I've re read through this and from what I can tell you think he's a "prick" and a "walloper" because what he does is 'basically a rehash of an older book with pretty pictures', "he has made a brand out of someone elses ideas and he does not give you proper info to do what you need to" and "His recipes are high in calories and his workouts are murder".

 

A quick look through his books this morning shows me that he is advising to eat home cooked meals like chicken, salmon, steak and veg in reasonable sized portions; whilst laying of the chips, burgers and pizzas from takeaways.
He's also advocating that you do HIIT and weights 3-4 times a week for 30mins or so.

 

Your opinion is backed by the fact that he did a cross kick wrong, that he was out of breath after a work out and he does things improperly.
It also looks like there's a lass in Australia that does the same (based on weightwatchers) that you're not a fan of either.

 

Then, you advise to have a look at Clare Rafferty as a good example - which I did.
She seems to be advising you get fitter and healthier by eating well and exercising more, but without signing up to one of her monthly plans (£10 a month for access to home workouts, or £200 a month for 2x30min 1:1 phone calls) it's difficult for me to judge exactly what she is doing that is unique and groundbreaking.
I'd imagine that she is telling people to eat more chicken, salmon, steak and veg whilst laying of the chips burgers and pizzas;  then doing a bit of HIIT and weights. In other words, a rehash of things that other fitness instructors have already been telling people for decades.
She's got a degree in English, Film and Media and an MSc in Gender Studies - and has worked in fitness related roles (some part time as a student from what I can tell)  for a good 5 years less than Joe Wicks who actually had a degree in Sports Science.

 

So, thanks for the advice - but I'll stick to following Joe Wicks and his fitness advice / recipe ideas as he's:
a) actually qualified with some sort of fitness related degree
b) more experienced
c) not asking for between £10-£200 a month

 

I'm sure that none of what I have said above will change your opinion that he is a prick and a walloper and that your good example is just another version of him, but that's the great thing about opinions - everyone's got one, and we don't all have to have the same one.


Indeed we do , paper is a great thing can write anything down and make it sound how we want. No , you won’t change my mind on him , outside of what he is doing for keeping kids active I don’t have much to say about him that is positive. Aesthetics and bits of paper are something that you cant judge a PTs knowledge or ability by. 
 

You have completely glossed over some of what I said and most importantly as far as I am concerned what I suggested in regards your wife and her health. Instead of arguing opinions or being obstinate with me please just ensure she is ok , as what you said about that local gym n PT are nothing short of disgusting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Taffin
On 24/03/2020 at 21:08, Cade said:

The Jamie Oliver of the gym world.

 

In both the good and the bad way.

 

Perfectly put

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pablo

The Jamie Oliver analogy isn't bad, but it doesn't really work well for the criticism this Wicks lad is taking.

 

Most of the criticism Oliver took, as far as I can remember,  was from his peer group,  MPW and Ramsay looking down their noses and asking him to get his Michelin Stars out. 

 

Bit different to being a successful TV celebrity in the fitness/lifestyle area and getting ripped by punters who can't maintain a living from it themselves? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Taffin
16 minutes ago, pablo said:

The Jamie Oliver analogy isn't bad, but it doesn't really work well for the criticism this Wicks lad is taking.

 

Most of the criticism Oliver took, as far as I can remember,  was from his peer group,  MPW and Ramsay looking down their noses and asking him to get his Michelin Stars out. 

 

Bit different to being a successful TV celebrity in the fitness/lifestyle area and getting ripped by punters who can't maintain a living from it themselves? 

 

They both mean well but are total bellends. Works perfectly well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brunstanejambo
37 minutes ago, sadj said:


Indeed we do , paper is a great thing can write anything down and make it sound how we want. No , you won’t change my mind on him , outside of what he is doing for keeping kids active I don’t have much to say about him that is positive. Aesthetics and bits of paper are something that you cant judge a PTs knowledge or ability by. 
 

You have completely glossed over some of what I said and most importantly as far as I am concerned what I suggested in regards your wife and her health. Instead of arguing opinions or being obstinate with me please just ensure she is ok , as what you said about that local gym n PT are nothing short of disgusting.

 

So - you know more about Joe Wicks and Clare Rafferty than is in the public domain then, as you seem to be passing judgement on their knowledge and ability??

Thanks for clearing that up as it wasn't obvious from what you have said in this thread.

Perhaps if you shared your personal knowledge of them both that would clarify things further.

 

And sorry for glossing over what you have said - I thought I was fairly accurately representing what you had said. Must be those opinion things again...

I also didn't gloss over your comments about my wife and the scam PT that she signed up for - I chose to not reply as i thought it was obvious that she wouldn't be having anything to do with them anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

 

They both mean well but are total bellends. Works perfectly well.


Agreed...

 

Was discussing with a mate his comment sums it up perfectly.

 

 

53358B2E-7881-46E7-8CB7-B03E686CFB8E.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sadj
2 hours ago, pablo said:

The Jamie Oliver analogy isn't bad, but it doesn't really work well for the criticism this Wicks lad is taking.

 

Most of the criticism Oliver took, as far as I can remember,  was from his peer group,  MPW and Ramsay looking down their noses and asking him to get his Michelin Stars out. 

 

Bit different to being a successful TV celebrity in the fitness/lifestyle area and getting ripped by punters who can't maintain a living from it themselves? 


Ridiculous assumption. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lord BJ

I have actually worked with Joe Wicks, before he was rich and famous. He was aspiring PT who was just beginning to get traction with social media.

 

I basically did what I think is now his 90 days transformation plan. It was pretty prescriptive in terms of diet and training. His diet stuff was basically calories and macros with carb cycling basis ie. you only eat carbs after exercising / or on days of exercise. It was essentially recipes that he would later make into books with your food quantities in them to ensure dietary goals achieved. He was much more instructive around diet than any other PT I have worked with.

 

The workouts were decent enough and a bit more intensive than what he does at his live PE sessions.! Mines for example were predominately HIIT and GVT training schemes and tailored to areas I needed to work on. They were obviously tweaked through the period but basically focussed on compounds with some ancillary workouts. Even as an experienced gym goer it was challenging. 

 

I noticed a big difference in the 3 month, the first month in particular was huge. I wasn’t in great condition when I started out but was far from horrific, I was 14% BF so just got a bit out of shape. After the 3 months dropped body fat, increased muscle mass, cut abs and was ready for beach season! 

 

Everything was tailored to me individually as that was our relationship. The relationship and information you can give to millions of people at one time needs to be slightly different for obvious reasons.

 

Found him a good sort in all honesty.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rudi must stay

Tyson Fury has a work out too on Instagram

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rudi must stay

And it includes his wife and music.

 

Thats why Joe Wicks has had the "brainwave" to including music. 

 

The champ don't care 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stirlo

Some of the criticism of this guy is ridiculous but sadly predictable. He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but the bottom line is he is helping millions of people who are stuck in their homes to stay - or even become - fit, particularly the younger generation. How about if you like him watch his YouTube channel and if you don't, well don't? Personally his stuff is not for me but I know a number of people who think he's great.

 

My suspicion is that a lot of the criticism is really about jealousy. He's got a few million in the bank and is no doubt developing his brand significantly with these latest workouts (I understand his advertising proceeds are all going to the NHS). It's not rocket-science what he's doing, but he's still bothering himself to do it, so I say fair play to him.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seymour M Hersh

He's not my cup of tea and is mostly manufactured (but what in't in todays media obsessed world) and I agree with the Jamie Oliver comparisons but getting kiddies and some parents to have a fun time and get some exercise every morning during our collective house arrests is a good thing and harmless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Brow
On 28/03/2020 at 02:13, Siphiwe Tshabalala said:

He might be a prick, but he is marketable to all ages. Fair play, at least he cares about children getting some exercise prior to this Covid meltdown.

 

 

 

Deleted

Edited by The Brow
Decided I actually dont give a ****

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BarneyBattles
On 31/03/2020 at 08:23, stirlo said:

Some of the criticism of this guy is ridiculous but sadly predictable. He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but the bottom line is he is helping millions of people who are stuck in their homes to stay - or even become - fit, particularly the younger generation. How about if you like him watch his YouTube channel and if you don't, well don't? Personally his stuff is not for me but I know a number of people who think he's great.

 

My suspicion is that a lot of the criticism is really about jealousy. He's got a few million in the bank and is no doubt developing his brand significantly with these latest workouts (I understand his advertising proceeds are all going to the NHS). It's not rocket-science what he's doing, but he's still bothering himself to do it, so I say fair play to him.  

 

 


Spot on. My kids now see it as part of their day. They need a routine so  it’s great for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Konrad von Carstein

My tuppence worth on JW,

 

A few years ago I enrolled for an on-line diet and exercise plan with a PT who was a friend of a friend , he was on the same university course as JW, who was apparently useless as a student and was hugely disparaging of him, to the point you could tell there was a huge dislike bordering on hatred of the guy.

 

This PT's online course was half arsed and apppeared to be a generic template ie not something that he had created, the recipes were short on detail, the gym workouts were a bit better but still generic in nature. Eventually he gave up on the online stuff (Shock!)

 

So I now bellieve his dislike was based on an intense jealousy of what JW was starting to create (this was at the start of him becoming well known)

 

My point (if I have one)is that JW may or not be not very good as a PT, but he has made the most of what he has...

 

I cant take his voice for more than a couple of minutes, so his classes are not for me.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Siphiwe Tshabalala

As I said above, if he can get kids moving, that’s a great thing.

 

Hopefully once this pandemic passes, some kids may carry on being active due to enjoying his morning workouts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...