Cooking?

Jambomuzz

56 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

If I have learned 1 thing in the last month, it is 'The cheese is the key ingredient.  Needs to be strong and loads of it.'

I made cauliflower cheese, with more cheese. What a difference. 

Planning on making it tomorrow, I will put lots of cheese in it. 

Yup.  I usually go extra mature white cheddar.

Lidl's mature white cheese is great.   So is Costco's mature cheese.  Both really strong.  You can usually tell a decent strong cheese as it usually has crystals in it.

I Don't think I have ever eaten anything and thought - **** me, that had too much cheese in it.

Gruyere cheese is a daddy for cooking.  Even if just to top dishes off.   I made cheese scones the other month with Gruyere cheese and they were ****ing amazing.  Wee bit paprika in the flour mix too.    I had to stop myself eating them all while they were still warm.

Bitten the the cooking bug last summer after a visit to Rick Steins cookery school.

We did a Thai street food one day course because both myself and the Mrs love Thai food.

Really lit a fire in me and a further 2 cookery courses later I can put some decent food on the table.

I think a lot of it is confidence? Not wanting to spend money on ingredients only for you to cock it up and end up throwing it away? It was with me anyway.

I now make all my own pastes. Red, yellow and green. It’s really enjoyable taking a massive number of ingredients then processing them into an end product that keeps for ages in the freezer and makes the curry authentic.

I will spend a day making big batches of pastes and chucking them in the freezer for use later. Much tastier than the shop bought options.

Recently started on Chinese recipes to save ordering take away. Simple wok cooked recipes with fresh ingredients. 

Mastering Dim Sum currently. Pork and prawn with ginger and garlic and chilli. Dead easy!!

Crispy beef with sweet chilli sauce. Again really easy and sooooo much better than the gloopy MSG crap you get from takeaways.

I was officially the worst for cooking just 12 months ago. Would spend a fortune buying crap in. Now I can put on 3 courses of either Italian, Thai or Chinese with confidence and the food tastes amazing.

Give it a go and be confident.

Cooking is amazing 👍👍

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/02/2020 at 13:25, Lovecraft said:

I love cooking.

Here's my hangover mac n cheese recipe.  Looks long, but it's not.   15 mins tops, 20 if you wanna grill it.

I usually use the spiral macaroni, but any will do.

Ingredients:

1 bag of macaroni.  Your choice, but preferably durum wheat.

1 large block of white extra strong mature cheddar - grated

2 cloves of garlic, or garlic paste if that's what you have

1 pint of full fat milk

small glass of double cream if you have it - roughly half one of the little tubs

About 4 tablespoons of plain flour

2 teaspoons of mustard.  I usually use the wholegrain stuff, but the squeezy stuff will do.

Worcester sauce

Optional -   2 leeks

A big knob of butter

Salt and pepper

Method

-Boil pasta with a couple of teaspoons of salt till it's soft but still firm.  Roughly 10 mins

-Strain into colander and leave it aside

-Using the same pot, put it back on a low heat

-Add nearly all the butter and stir it till it melts

-Add the flour and keep stirring till it all mixes together to look like dough and clumps together

-Add the milk and turn the heat up to high

-Keep stirring until you feel it starting to thicken, as soon as it does, turn the heat back to low.

-Add nearly all the cheese leaving a handful

-Stir until it cheese melts

-Add mustard, salt and pepper

-Add cream - if you want it creamier.  You don't need it though.

-Stir until the sauce is nice and fluid

-Add the macaroni and stir it all together

If I'm not using leeks, I would add the garlic here too.   Chop them both up.   The smaller the garlic is chopped, the stronger the taste.  The leeks can be chopped fairly roughly.

Optional part with leeks

In another pan, put it on a medium heat and melt the rest of the butter, then add the garlic and the leeks.   I usually only use the white part of the leeks, but it's up to you.  Just chopped the white part up into small bits.  Fry in the butter for about 5 mins till it is all soft.

Chuck them in the pot and stir it all together.

Serve with a splash of Worcester sauce and some more cheese on top......    

Or, whack it all in an oven dish, add the rest of the cheese on top with some pepper and a few splashes of Worcester sauce.    Grill under a hot grill for about 5 mins till the cheese bubbles.

The cheese is the key ingredient.  Needs to be strong and loads of it.

Serve and fall asleep 15 mins later.

Hangover gone.

Pretty much hopeless at cooking but made this tonight ( with the leeks) Superb 👍 

9 hours ago, stevie1874 said:

Pretty much hopeless at cooking but made this tonight ( with the leeks) Superb 👍 

Good job.   Now you see how easy it can be to cook.

On 21/02/2020 at 13:37, Ribble said:

I recently made a middleeastern version of a chilli con carne that turned out really well!

Basically swapping some of the standard chilli ingredients for stuff i use in a recipe for Moroccan Stoup so

Paprika - use Ras en hanout spice mix

Chilli's - Harrisa paste

Beans - pre-cooked green lentils

Kept everything else the same and served with some bread that had been toasted after being drizzled with olive oil and a sprinkle of sumac powder

Will have to get some of this.  Don't think I have tried it.

I actually have a tajine dish, so it would be a good reason to dig it out.

13 hours ago, stevie1874 said:

that is the first step, you can follow a recipe. not the n=most complex but also not the simplest. all you can do now is try other things and go from there

Auld Reekin'
On 19/02/2020 at 13:39, Lovecraft said:

I get loads of pheasant and rabbits, so these need to be cooked for a while.  The slow cooker is perfect for them.

Lamb is the daddy of meats for me.  Don't understand how some people don't like it.

Lamb curry, lamb mince chilli, lamb stew.   ****, I want some lamb now.

Goat, if you can get hold of it (tricky in Scotland, in my experience), is lovely meat too. Quite similar to lamb, but generally leaner and healthier too I believe. I made a rather wonderful (he modestly admits) West Indian-style Curried Goat at the weekend, made with goat chops, potatoes, and carrots. We had the chops in the freezer after bringing them back as "souvenirs" of our last trip to London.   

5 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Will have to get some of this.  Don't think I have tried it.

I actually have a tajine dish, so it would be a good reason to dig it out.

As well as Ras al Hanout, try the Middle Eastern spice mix Za'atar, if you haven't already. It's not hot at all, but very tasty and tangy. That, with sumac, is great sprinkled over chicken or fish before grilling or roasting.

I've also been using allspice more and more recently: it's used in many Turkish and Middle Eastern recipes - and in many other cuisines - and adds a real richness and depth of flavour. Cinnamon in savoury cooking is worth experimenting with as well, and is used quite a lot in Moorish-influenced Spanish cooking, as well as in North Africa, the Middle East, and oriental cuisines.

My recent Sunday roast favourite is a winner and better than that really simple. 

A decent sized bit of cheap beef brisket, then I just make up a beef stock using a Knorr stock pot, half boiling water and half red wine, add some garlic, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, a hefty squirt of tomato paste, a finely chopped shallot, and some black pepper.

Brown the brisket all over in a very hot pan with a bit of oil after you've rubbed some salt and pepper into it, if has a large cap of fat on it make sure there isn't too much left before you put it in the oven or it can make quite a greasy gravy. Then put it in a pyrex dish that's big enough to submerge it most of the way once you add the stock and a load of either chopped mushrooms or whole button mushrooms. Chuck it in the oven with the lid on and cook it for at least 4 hours at around 140c, longer the better as you can't overcook it. Just baste it every now and then to stop the top of the meat getting burnt. Then get it out the oven about the same time as you're putting the veggies on. Then thicken up the stock from cooking in a pan with your choice of gravy thickening. Guaranteed the best gravy you've tasted. 

The best thing other than the eating is the fact that it actually works better with cheap meat as it has more flavour than something like topside. 

3 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Goat, if you can get hold of it (tricky in Scotland, in my experience), is lovely meat too. Quite similar to lamb, but generally leaner and healthier too I believe. I made a rather wonderful (he modestly admits) West Indian-style Curried Goat at the weekend, made with goat chops, potatoes, and carrots. We had the chops in the freezer after bringing them back as "souvenirs" of our last trip to London.   

As well as Ras al Hanout, try the Middle Eastern spice mix Za'atar, if you haven't already. It's not hot at all, but very tasty and tangy. That, with sumac, is great sprinkled over chicken or fish before grilling or roasting.

I've also been using allspice more and more recently: it's used in many Turkish and Middle Eastern recipes - and in many other cuisines - and adds a real richness and depth of flavour. Cinnamon in savoury cooking is worth experimenting with as well, and is used quite a lot in Moorish-influenced Spanish cooking, as well as in North Africa, the Middle East, and oriental cuisines.

Sounds very nice.   Will give it a go.

Shame you can't really get goat here easily.  

Found a jar of roasted red peppers at the back of the cupboard, miraculously somehow still in date.

Chucked them in the food processor with a bit of garlic, a big handful of parmesan cheese, some thyme and some olive oil and blitzed it into a red pesto.

Went down a treat on some al dente pasta.

:greggy:

On 25/03/2020 at 13:19, Auld Reekin' said:

Only recently discovered Sumac and i'm obsessed with it! 

Auld Reekin'
4 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Only recently discovered Sumac and i'm obsessed with it! 

Yep, it's good stuff, and really quite versatile - can be used with most savoury dishes to give a citrus tang and looks nice when sprinkled over too. The combination of that, Za'atar, oregano / thyme, and allspice when grilling or roasting chicken is wonderful.

45 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Didn't Liam Neeson play Ras al Hanout in the Batman film?

it helped spice up his performance

Za'atar or sumac are also delicious simply mixed with a bit of olive oil and brushed over a plain pizza base and baked for a few minutes in a very hot oven.

A lovely wee side dish or booze snack.

Okay time to start learning/retraining myself on a few things

So with 24 eggs bought I thought Scrambled eggs, omelettes,  poached and boiled eggs would be a good place to start

So 8 eggs ruined on the way but now just about have the eggs food type licked

Fed up with eggs after 3 days though.

Tomato soup was surprisingly easy though

tin, tin opener, open tin , pour into pan and heat.....loved the Heinz soup !!

• 2 weeks later...

Home-made falafel burgers tonight

:greggy:

1 400g tin of chickpeas; drained, rinsed and left in a sieve to dry off a bit.

1/2 an onion, finely diced

1 clove of garlic, minced

1-2tsp ground cumin

1-2tsp ground coriander

1tsp chilli flakes

bit of salt and pepper

flour to bind

Either tip it all into a food processor and pulse until a rough dough forms, or mush it all up with your hands in a bowl. Sometimes a food processor will make it too fine of a paste and you get better final texture from hand crushing it all. Amount of flour will vary each batch. You're looking for a rough dough that holds together and is easy to shape but not too sticky.

Divide it into 4 and form each portion into a nice wee burger.

Shallow fry for 2-3 minutes per side and serve in buns with your choice of add-ons.

Recipe is flexible so you can chuck in what you want. Harissa, tomato puree, preserved lemon, subbing the chick peas out for any other pulse, adding fresh herbs, you can do what you want.

Also good made into smaller golf-ball sized falafels as a snack, or the traditional wee sausage shape with finger indents and served in pitta bread with chilli sauce, salsa and sour cream.

John mcCartney

Some superb stuff on here people,well done !

Bought online a new grill/griddle (Cuisinart) earlier this eve,
cant wait to fire that up when it arrives.

Last nights dinner was a cracking steak and kidney pie

Diced Beef

Kidney

Carrot

Turnip

Onion

Red wine

Smoked Garlic

English Mustard

Beef stock

All whacked in the slow cooker the night before for 8 hours then yesterday transferred to a casserole dish, allowed to cool and then store bought puff pasty on top, hour and a half @ 180 in the oven and done 

Jamstomorrow

If a Shepherds Pie is made with minced lamb.  Cottage Pie is made with minced beef.  Does anyone know if a similar dish made with minced pork has an official name?  Just curious . . . and nothing better to think about!!  

58 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

If a Shepherds Pie is made with minced lamb.  Cottage Pie is made with minced beef.  Does anyone know if a similar dish made with minced pork has an official name?  Just curious . . . and nothing better to think about!!  

In a shepherds pie, substitute half the minced lamb with haggis and mix cheese in with the tatties, fecking lovely.

16 minutes ago, superjack said:

In a shepherds pie, substitute half the minced lamb with haggis and mix cheese in with the tatties, fecking lovely.

that does sound nice

Cottage pie can be made mediterranean by adding tomatoes and peppers and topping it with polenta instead of mashed potato.

9 hours ago, Jamstomorrow said:

I know this is my second reply to you. I was just thinking, I made something akin to a shephard pie but using minced pork, can't remember where I seen the recipe though, think it was Greek.

I P Knightley

I just cooked a steak in the office Breville toastie maker. Not at all bad!

(I'm the only one in the office; come in once or twice a week to check the mail. I can do wtf I like. I've even used the ladies' toilet and I didn't flush, either.)

44 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I just cooked a steak in the office Breville toastie maker. Not at all bad!

(I'm the only one in the office; come in once or twice a week to check the mail. I can do wtf I like. I've even used the ladies' toilet and sniffed the seats)

FTFY

I P Knightley
18 minutes ago, superjack said:

FTFY

:biglaugh:

You've not met my lady colleagues. If you had, you wouldn't have been able to type that without heaving. :sick:

3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

:biglaugh:

You've not met my lady colleagues. If you had, you wouldn't have been able to type that without heaving. :sick:

Maybe they have nice personalities though. 

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, superjack said:

Maybe they have nice personalities though. 

Honestly - this is where you start with them.

Then work your way down.

_40197382_fatslags203.gif

Edited by I P Knightley

Malinga the Swinga

Not sure if it is a benefit or drawback but living at home with wife and 2 daughters (one of who is studying cake craft) has seen a massive increase in the amount of home cooking and baking that has gone on.

Had Lemon Meringue Pie, Pavlova, Muffins, Cup Cakes, Brownies, Rocky Road, Scones along with home made Chicken Pie, Steak Pie, rice dishes, pasta with various sauces and reckon by the time this is over, waistline will have expanded severely.

On 07/03/2020 at 21:26, Lovecraft said:

Gruyere cheese is a daddy for cooking.  Even if just to top dishes off.   I made cheese scones the other month with Gruyere cheese and they were ****ing amazing.  Wee bit paprika in the flour mix too.    I had to stop myself eating them all while they were still warm.

Sounds lovely - I admire your willpower :lol:

Wee dollop of butter melting on the top, big glass o' milk. Sorted.

55 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Not sure if it is a benefit or drawback but living at home with wife and 2 daughters (one of who is studying cake craft) has seen a massive increase in the amount of home cooking and baking that has gone on.

Had Lemon Meringue Pie, Pavlova, Muffins, Cup Cakes, Brownies, Rocky Road, Scones along with home made Chicken Pie, Steak Pie, rice dishes, pasta with various sauces and reckon by the time this is over, waistline will have expanded severely.

has she got any decent but simple recipes that you could post?

i do like to bake and the other week made a doughnut texture muffin that was nice

On 07/03/2020 at 21:26, Lovecraft said:

Yup.  I usually go extra mature white cheddar.

Lidl's mature white cheese is great.   So is Costco's mature cheese.  Both really strong.  You can usually tell a decent strong cheese as it usually has crystals in it.

I Don't think I have ever eaten anything and thought - **** me, that had too much cheese in it.

gruyere cheese will be getting added to my shopping list for tomorrow.

if you make mac and cheese try rather than just using one cheese using a mixture of a stronger one such as red leciester and a milder one with some nutmeg. really nice flavour, i am also considering getting some blue cheese and adding a bit of that.

oh and for you cheese lovers it does work out at about £50 per kilo but try and get some norwegian brown cheese, it is a goats cheese where they let the sugars caramelise giving it a taste sort of between cheese and caramel, really nice on a bit of bread with some jam and maybe some peanut butter

22 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

oh and for you cheese lovers it does work out at about £50 per kilo but try and get some norwegian brown cheese, it is a goats cheese where they let the sugars caramelise giving it a taste sort of between cheese and caramel, really nice on a bit of bread with some jam and maybe some peanut butter

Been over to Norway with work a couple of times and the hotel we always stay in has this cheese out for the breakfast buffet, lovely on some freshly toasted bread.

24 minutes ago, superjack said:

Been over to Norway with work a couple of times and the hotel we always stay in has this cheese out for the breakfast buffet, lovely on some freshly toasted bread.

i heard about it on the radio on my way home from work and one guy i travel with raved about it as his daughter lives in norway. so i went on amazon and got some, very nice

For a while, I've got right into cooking, and as much as I hate to blow my own trumpet, I'm pretty ****ing good.

My speicality has been Italian pasta dishes, but with most things, I'm not shy to mix spices. I have a rack full of spices and herbs, and for me, that's really half the battle. You'll never eat a bland meal at my house, I can assure you.

12 hours ago, milky_26 said:

gruyere cheese will be getting added to my shopping list for tomorrow.

if you make mac and cheese try rather than just using one cheese using a mixture of a stronger one such as red leciester and a milder one with some nutmeg. really nice flavour, i am also considering getting some blue cheese and adding a bit of that.

Nice.  I will give it a go.

Not many cheeses I don't like.  Not a fan of eating some of the blue ones raw as I guess you could call it, but grilling some on top of some pork or even just nice bread and they are completely different.

12 hours ago, Boof said:

Sounds lovely - I admire your willpower :lol:

Wee dollop of butter melting on the top, big glass o' milk. Sorted.

It wasn't willpower that stopped me, it was shame.

emma-stone-shame-eating-gif.gif

Did a bit of experimenting today and attempted to make shakshuka earlier on without looking for a recipe online.  Not too bad even if I say so myself. 

• 4 months later...
Governor Tarkin
On 09/04/2020 at 22:41, milky_26 said:

Noggie brown cheese  (the not actually cheese stuff) is ****ing boak.

Got some pals arriving later. Cooking duties falls on my shoulders as Mrs VM can’t boil an egg.

Tapas night tonight!

Patatas Bravas. Olive oil roasted potatoes in tomato, garlic and onion sauce.

Gambas Pil Pil. King prawns in olive oil, chilli, red pepper and garlic sauce.

Beef Pepe. Sirloin steak strips in black pepper, shallot, Brandy, cream, garlic and beef stock sauce. 

Mediterranean grilled chicken marinated in Olive oil turmeric and cumin with lemon and lime marmalade.

Beef meatballs in tomato, garlic and basil sauce.

Chicken and prawn paella.

Sun dried tomato salad with croutons.

Fresh crispy bread.

Shit loads of Prosecco, red wine and beer.

Saturday fish night.

Fresh steamed lobster in a Thai Tom Yung sauce.

Fresh steam langoustines with butter and garlic dipping sauce.

Crab claws with same sauce.

Warm smoked salmon in sweet chilli coating.

Fresh oysters shucked and raw with lemon juice and Tabasco.

Fresh oysters on the BBQ with garlic, chilli and mozzarella finished with cayenne pepper.

Fresh brown crab from the shell.

Dauphinois potato’s.

Fresh mixed green salad.

Cheese board and Port to finish.

Shit loads of white wine.

29 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Got some pals arriving later. Cooking duties falls on my shoulders as Mrs VM can’t boil an egg.

Tapas night tonight!

Beef Pepe. Sirloin steak strips in black pepper, shallot, Brandy, cream, garlic and beef stock sauce. 

Mediterranean grilled chicken marinated in Olive oil turmeric and cumin with lemon and lime marmalade.

Fresh crispy bread.

Saturday fish night.

Fresh oysters on the BBQ with garlic, chilli and mozzarella finished with cayenne pepper.

Dauphinois potato’s.

Fresh mixed green salad.

Forgot the haggis bonbons in a Whisky sauce tonight 👍

1 hour ago, Vlad Magic said:

Tapas night tonight!

Fresh crispy bread.

Saturday fish night.

Dauphinois potato’s.

Fresh mixed green salad.

That's a damn fine effort.

Hope it's appreciated.

19 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

That's a damn fine effort.

Hope it's appreciated.

Smashed the tapas last night.

Not a scrap of food left over. The haggis Bon Bons were amazing. Feeling rough this morning. Too much wine!!