John Murray

kingantti1874

24 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I wasnt a member on here at the time but I would love to know the reasons for that :laugh2:.  Our most important player of the last 20 years. 

Thinking back, it was probably the thought of him coming back and not being the player he was. Understandable in a way but it wouldn't have been anything personal. He was a hero in the Burley season and the last thing you'd want is for someone coming back and failing. It was Jim Jeffries that brought him back (I think, memory is getting a bit sketchy these days) and as he liked to play an attacking style, it was always worth a shot. It worked. I do wonder, with what we see these days, if he would've fitted into a Levein-style set-up. It wouldn't have surprised me if he tried to get him to be a wing-back, nullifying his ability! Rudi would've kicked up a stink if that was the case. He gets Hearts, he knows what fans like to see. Levein would've probably ruined him.

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

I wasnt a member on here at the time but I would love to know the reasons for that :laugh2:.  Our most important player of the last 20 years. 

It’s true as well 🤦‍♂️ It was becuase JJ didn’t want him at the time..

Footballfirst

John Murray can't be blamed for signing any senior player prior to 2012 as his primary role was as Academy Director. He was appointed Director of Football in the dying days of the Romanov regime and was appointed Chief Scout once Budge/Levein took over in 2014.

Thereafter the signing success has undoubtedly been hit and miss. I'm sure that JM will have identified some of those signings, but I know for a fact that he was not involved in a good number of the signings that were recommended by Cathro and MacPhee. Indeed we signed some players that JM had recommended against signing.

Ultimately it's is down to the Manager/DOF to decide whether or not to sign anyone identified.

It would not surprise me if JM was considering retirement in any event.  He must be in his mid to late sixties by now.

little conman who has seen various managers bumped,when you think of people who took cuts in wages and would  work for the club free of charge and he is still on the pay role Levein another one just take take take made a fool of the fans and club.

Footballfirst
11 minutes ago, normando said:

little conman who has seen various managers bumped,when you think of people who took cuts in wages and would  work for the club free of charge and he is still on the pay role Levein another one just take take take made a fool of the fans and club.

You clearly forgot that John Murray did take a pay cut.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25749589