Scotland Squad

Famous 1874

Hagar the Horrible

This is bad news, we need him fit and we are not exactly playing with confidence just now, now sure how mixing it up with Scotland FC will do getting torn apart by likes of an Elbonia or outbackistan 

Thought Police

If people are afraid of him playing football in case he gets injured, then why play him at all? He’s one cap away from 50 and the Hall of Fame, let it be

3 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

If people are afraid of him playing football in case he gets injured, then why play him at all? He’s one cap away from 50 and the Hall of Fame, let it be

This. 

The more good footballers you have, the more play international football.  I for one take pride seeing Jambos playing for their country.  You have more to worry about when none of your players reach this level of recognition IMO.

(I know we're all a bit sensitive because it's Naismith though and his recent injury troubles)

9 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

Agreed.

Also, perhaps I misunderstood but, he wasnt picked to play at Parkhead because of ‘the amount of running required there’??

If that’s the case, it’s madness imo.

3 minutes ago, Jambo83 said:

The more good footballers you have, the more play international football.  I for one take pride seeing Jambos playing for their country.  You have more to worry about when none of your players reach this level of recognition IMO.

(I know we're all a bit sensitive because it's Naismith though and his recent injury troubles)

Thats true, but for me though there would be an expectation for Naismith to show some form before being picked for Scotland. He has played 45 mins of first team football this season after missing pre-season. Had a non descript half against County in an unusual left midfield slot before going off injured. Surely better to complete his rehabilitation with hearts and play some club games first?

Cut The Crap
1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

As a Welshman Id rather he just played for us.

Worry about our season without him if he got injured

As a Scot, I agree with you.

This year's Aaron Hughes?

::troll::

3 minutes ago, Skivingatwork said:

I’m more surprised that Halkett didn’t get picked.

Grant Hanley :facepalm:

This.

Hanley is an absolute donkey and Halkett has been rock solid this season.

Edited by Jamboelite

Horatio Caine

People complaining that some of the same old faces are being selected.  Remember, though, Clarke took over a bunch of under performing players at Killie and transformed them.  I'm hoping he can do the same here.  The players are bound to see the difference between him and Eck.

41 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Who’s the goalie, Craig Mcfunnyname ? 

Any good? 

Pompey goalkeeper. He's come on in the last season or so and I think he will be in the Championship next season one way another. Remains to be seen if he will kick on to the next level to be able to do it with Scotland but deserves a call up bearing in mind some of the people who have filled that slot and at 26, plenty room to improve. They certain rate him at Fratton and worry he will move on if they don't go up the leagues.

4 minutes ago, maroonshrew said:

Pompey goalkeeper. He's come on in the last season or so and I think he will be in the Championship next season one way another. Remains to be seen if he will kick on to the next level to be able to do it with Scotland but deserves a call up bearing in mind some of the people who have filled that slot and at 26, plenty room to improve. They certain rate him at Fratton and worry he will move on if they don't go up the leagues.

Seems like a bit of a John McLaughlin type, had to work his way up. 

18 minutes ago, Skivingatwork said:

I’m more surprised that Halkett didn’t get picked.

Grant Hanley :facepalm:

Grant Hanley....WTF,

against Russia and/or Belgium,

doesn't look good. 

Pasquale for King
47 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

They ran him into the ground last season, 90 minutes in a meaningless friendly after another 90 in a qualifier. He hasn’t played that much in a short space of time  for quite a few years. Celtic players were rested for the friendly.He then broke down days later and our season took a huge downturn.

We pay his wages, 50 caps or not we need him in peak condition and to look after him. 

Add in he has only played 25&45 minutes so far this season and is nowhere near full fitness.

Has Griffiths been rested, he’s fitter than Naismith currently.

Edited by Pasquale for King

4 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Seems like a bit of a John McLaughlin type, had to work his way up. 

yea McLaughlin maybe a touch better but there's not much in it and to be honest MacGillivrays career only really started last season, he's been feeding off backup keeper scraps before then so his development was always going to be a bit later. Smart to get him into the squad and training with better quality. 

joondalupjambo

Naismith in for his experience.  If fit should be a sub and come in later into the game.  Not played regularly enough to start.  50 up job done.

1 hour ago, HMFC 86 said:

Thats true, but for me though there would be an expectation for Naismith to show some form before being picked for Scotland. He has played 45 mins of first team football this season after missing pre-season. Had a non descript half against County in an unusual left midfield slot before going off injured. Surely better to complete his rehabilitation with hearts and play some club games first?

I'd reckon Clarke will have discussed this with Naismith who in turn discussed with Hearts.  Only an assumption mind. 

Naismith may also have made it clear his desire to get to the 50 cap mark, or make as many appearance as possible, when he was negotiating his permanent deal, who knows mate

One thing that has always bothered me is how late it takes for us to call up talented youngsters...personally think the managers are under pressure so go for experience over form so as not to get critiques. Southgate should have been called up earlier and Halkett could at least be in the squad 

kirkierobroy

Thing about Naismith is that playing for Scotland matters to him. Even when he played for that Union Jackist club in Govan.

Have tickets for both games but work may prevent me from the Belgium game. Praise the Lord for that as it could be a fearful horsing. Russia will just be a routine downbeat home defeat.

Hanley is only getting a game cos the two first choice centre halves were injured in pre season.

Norwich mates absolutely don’t rate him 

IMO he is not EPL class

Bazzas right boot

The Belgium players could all use their wrong foot the whole game and still beat us. 

Grant Hanley, ffs. Reminds me of that really shite Scottish player that used to play in the Epl, Grant Hanley was his name. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, salvo69 said:

One thing that has always bothered me is how late it takes for us to call up talented youngsters...personally think the managers are under pressure so go for experience over form so as not to get critiques. Southgate should have been called up earlier and Halkett could at least be in the squad 

Bugs me as well. 

It's a Scotland thing. 

Other countries have young guys and son players have like 20/30 even 40 caps before they're 23/24.

We don't get them in until we'll into thier 20's more often than note. 

Diadora Van Basten

I don’t even know half the players in the squad.

Naismith shouldn’t be in the squad he has no form of note and should be allowed to get back to fitness before being involved.

I remember Craig Brown did the same to Gary McAllister and he got booed by the Tartan Army and quit playing for Scotland.

7 hours ago, Smithee said:

Halkett's got to be on the radar, but worth remembering this is only his 2nd season in the top division and centre backs normally need to show long term consistency before making the international breakthrough. 

Pretty much spot on, the others are still ahead of him given the quality they play against each week as well. 

I see there is a video doing the rounds of a conversation between John Fleck and Oliver McBurnie in which McBurnie is apparently hoping he doesn’t get called up to play for Scotland because “it’s shite”. 

If that’s what he has said, he should never play for Scotland ever again. 

54 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I see there is a video doing the rounds of a conversation between John Fleck and Oliver McBurnie in which McBurnie is apparently hoping he doesn’t get called up to play for Scotland because “it’s shite”. 

If that’s what he has said, he should never play for Scotland ever again. 

Pressure maybe still exists at clubs not to  go to internationals especially if it was a friendly.

It's not that easy to hear but this is the clip.

Edited by Mikey1874

The Internet

After a few listens I managed to work out a Scottish accent saying 'you going away?' 

Literally no idea what anyone else said. 

1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

After a few listens I managed to work out a Scottish accent saying 'you going away?' 

Literally no idea what anyone else said. 

Yeah

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah

There’s meant to be a more HD one which is a bit clearer. 

Scotlands not actually mentioned but I’d assume they are talking about Scotland and what folk have managed to transcript is what he says.

18 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I don’t even know half the players in the squad.

Naismith shouldn’t be in the squad he has no form of note and should be allowed to get back to fitness before being involved.

I remember Craig Brown did the same to Gary McAllister and he got booed by the Tartan Army and quit playing for Scotland.

You need to tell Steven Naismith that. He wants to play for Scotland. And it's a big part of his reasons for signing for Hearts.

If Hearts fans want him not to play for Scotland then they should have said. He could have gone to America instead if he'd known. 

Diadora Van Basten
38 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

You need to tell Steven Naismith that. He wants to play for Scotland. And it's a big part of his reasons for signing for Hearts.

If Hearts fans want him not to play for Scotland then they should have said. He could have gone to America instead if he'd known. 

I do want him to play for Scotland but it would be a mistake if he is not ready (which is the case).