Aberdeen knock back £5m from Celtic for McKenna

Section Q

Guest ToqueJambo
13 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Successive Scotland managers have chosen Mckenna ahead of Souttar. I’m not entirely convinced that we have the better player.

Different players. Souttar has much more to him though.

Edited by ToqueJambo

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Inch Hearts

• Beast Boy

• Hearts1975

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3fingersreid
21 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Successive Scotland managers have chosen Mckenna ahead of Souttar. I’m not entirely convinced that we have the better player.

Not sure if you’re being serious ? , McKenna is seriously over rated , never worth £5m 

Great to see the jakies being told to GTF but in all honesty that’s a great offer for a slightly above average centre half. 

Mr Elwood P
32 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I cannot risk another thread ban so I will be polite.....

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

28 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Not sure if you’re being serious ? , McKenna is seriously over rated , never worth £5m 

40 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Different players. Souttar has much more to him though.

46 minutes ago, Barack said:

Successive Scotland managers have been ****ing inept morons.

While I'm not a subscriber of "He's worth X, so he should be worth at least X too"...the exclusive nature of Scotland manager's overlooking a player, in favour of someone who shouldn't even be allowed on the squad, never mind the pitch, isn't one I hold in much regards. 

If we think Charlie Mulgrew alongside McKenna, who already has had enough brainfarts in a Scotland shirt, never mind his Aberdeen career is the answer, then Finland will be more than happy to play us in the Play-offs.

We can disregard the opinions of three Scotland managers if that suits. However they are both almost the exact same age, Aberdeen have turned down multiple bids of £5m+, as yet we have had no bids for Souttar. It seems quite obvious to me that buying clubs, as well as successive Scotland managers, think McKenna is better. Any evidence to the contrary or are we guilty of the collective wearing of the famous maroon tinted spectacles?

3fingersreid
6 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We can disregard the opinions of three Scotland managers if that suits. However they are both almost the exact same age, Aberdeen have turned down multiple bids of £5m+, as yet we have had no bids for Souttar. It seems quite obvious to me that buying clubs, as well as successive Scotland managers, think McKenna is better. Any evidence to the contrary or are we guilty of the collective wearing of the famous maroon tinted spectacles?

The only thing I can go on is when I’ve seen Aberdeen at no point has he been the stand out player defensively for either team . Now I only see him when we play them and very  occasionally on tv but at no point had he impressed me to say he’s worth that valuation.

Certainly in terms of footballing centre half’s not as good as Souttar and I’ll go as far to say in terms of a ball winning centre half he’s not that much better than porteous or mcgregor at our city rivals . 

However fair play to that shower of shite for turning down the money . 

Inch Hearts
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

At least it means we know we have an 8-10m central defender on our hands too!

Soapy is worth what teams are willing to pay.  He’s not going to go on that money on the back of any recent form for the past year.

Inch Hearts
3 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

The only thing I can go on is when I’ve seen Aberdeen at no point has he been the stand out player defensively for either team . Now I only see him when we play them and very  occasionally on tv but at no point had he impressed me to say he’s worth that valuation.

Certainly in terms of footballing centre half’s not as good as Souttar and I’ll go as far to say in terms of a ball winning centre half he’s not that much better than porteous or mcgregor at our city rivals . 

However fair play to that shower of shite for turning down the money . 

Turn it around, has there been any outstanding displays Aberdeen fans see Souttar outstanding?  Scotland coaches see both in training and scout them both also.  Surely everyone can’t be wrong bar hearts fans?  This ball playing Souttar never happened at all last season, it was pass to Berra to launch. 

SpruceBringsteen
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I wish this place still had rep. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

The money in the English game is insane now. If we had Craig Gordon coming through now, tied to a long contract, the fee would be transformational. 

£9m should have been transformational. Nearly half our debt.

Edited by Jammy T

3fingersreid
Just now, Inch Hearts said:

Turn it around, has there been any outstanding displays Aberdeen fans see Souttar outstanding?  Scotland coaches see both in training and scout them both also.  Surely everyone can’t be wrong bar hearts fans?  This ball playing Souttar never happened at all last season, it was pass to Berra to launch. 

I’ll agree that we can argue about valuation but I’ll not have it that McKenna is a better or a comparison to Souttar in terms of a ball playing centre half . 

Selection by Scotland managers depends on what they want their players to do . As I’ve said in the past the national team I have no interest in thanks to Roxburgh & brown 

Personally I don’t give a flying **** what any Aberdeen / women hitting supporter says tbh 

SpruceBringsteen
2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Rep?

You could upvote or downvote posts which overall recorded a rep score for posters. I'd be opening 10 new accounts just to upvote your post for making me laugh. Good work tbqh. :lol:

Mr Elwood P
21 minutes ago, Barack said:

My argument is, that Souttar's more the long-term future at CB. If that's alongside McKenna...fair enough. More than Mulgrew.

I've said I don't subscribe to the maxim that if McKenna is worth £10m in Aberdeen's mind, Souttar must be equally as valuable. A player is only as valuable as the buying club deems appropriate. 

I think McKenna is an absolute cart-horse. If people wish to buy him for an exorbitant fee...so be it. If you've watched him over the last two seasons, and think his passing, ability to read the game, composure & temperament is a class above Souttar's...fair enough. 

Can't speak for the other boy's.

I'm not talking about my opinion I'm talking about the opinion of third parties, i.e. Scotland managers / potential buying clubs. As I said I'm unconvinced that Souttar is better. The current evidence points to McKenna but my personal opinion is that Souttar is a technically better player. Whether that means that Souttar is more successful in England remains to be seen. They will definitely be two centre backs for the Scottish national team going forward.

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

You could upvote or downvote posts which overall recorded a rep score for posters. I'd be opening 10 new accounts just to upvote your post for making me laugh. Good work tbqh. :lol:

Why did it make you laugh?

John Findlay
18 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

You weren't at many games then. Souttar is a football player. McKenna is a Carthorse.

Randy Marsh
39 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I would certainly disregard the opinions of Strachan and 'big Eck'.

I have no idea how good McKenna is but I commend Aberdeen for holding on to him until they get what they think he's worth.

What we think is not relevant.  I'm sure AB will do exactly the same with our players.

Mr Elwood P
9 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

I would certainly disregard the opinions of Strachan and 'big Eck'.

I would tend to agree with that but when you add in Steve Clark and the recruitment teams from Celtic and Aston Villa it does make you wonder ...

Mr Elwood P
8 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I have no idea how good McKenna is but I commend Aberdeen for holding on to him until they get what they think he's worth.

What we think is not relevant.  I'm sure AB will do exactly the same with our players.

Best to shut down JKB then?

Unknown user
Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

**** me, how will I ignore endless repeats of Project Runway with JKB down?

As if that's relevant given the utter shite we have been watching re the nation team . 

Absolutely astounding that any club values that big huddy at 5 mill , astonishing tbh 

Guest ToqueJambo

I think McKenna, like Teirney, stands out in scotland because they look like epl players. They already look like they can compete physically down there. Thats my issue with McKenna though. He doesn’t dominate physically the way he should. Berra is still much better in the air and Soapy has improved in that area.

16 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Good point.  I am chastened.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
39 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I'm not talking about my opinion I'm talking about the opinion of third parties, i.e. Scotland managers / potential buying clubs. As I said I'm unconvinced that Souttar is better. The current evidence points to McKenna but my personal opinion is that Souttar is a technically better player. Whether that means that Souttar is more successful in England remains to be seen. They will definitely be two centre backs for the Scottish national team going forward.

McKenna is left footed if that helps you explain why 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Inch Hearts said:

Soapy is worth what teams are willing to pay.  He’s not going to go on that money on the back of any recent form for the past year.

Neither’s McKenna! Christ I wish our own fans wouldn't talk down our own players so much.

Guest ToqueJambo
12 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

McKenna is left footed if that helps you explain why 

McKenna, Souttar is our best partnership although I’d like to think we can do better than McKenna.

Berra and Souttar should have been first picks before their injuries. Mckenna over berra was ridiculous.

Mr Elwood P
35 minutes ago, ramrod said:

As if that's relevant given the utter shite we have been watching re the nation team . 

Absolutely astounding that any club values that big huddy at 5 mill , astonishing tbh 

Well if Scotland are shite and Souttar isn’t getting a game, where does that leave us?

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

So he’s going to play 200 games for Manchester United then? Maybe better ask for £10-15m if that’s the case.

.Maybe they should. Someone might be really stupid.

SpruceBringsteen

Why did it make you laugh?

Because Alex McLeish is a turps addled dementia victim. I genuinely thought you were joking. ?

8 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

He is fecking murder, its one of the most puzzling things ive seen in Scottish football over the last few years....everyone seems to rate him but personally I think he is bang average at best....slow...prone to an error...its his size that seems to blinker folk IMHO...

Cant see Tic showing interest in Soapy FWIW...

He isn't murder would suggest he is pretty decent in Scottish football , 5 million would snap your hand off for that though

Inch Hearts
41 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Neither’s McKenna! Christ I wish our own fans wouldn't talk down our own players so much.

Lets pretend he was good last season then? 

Inch Hearts
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

You weren't at many games then. Souttar is a football player. McKenna is a Carthorse.

In your opinion.  Not many others outside the club.  Passing to Berra doesn’t make him a footballer.  If anything Souttar lost confidence last year and was out battled a lot. 

Inch Hearts
1 hour ago, Barack said:

Turn that around again.

Why wasn't Halkett picked by Scotland then? By this, he's more deserved of a shot that either of them??‍♂️ I think he'll eclipse Souttar & Berra this season, imho.

Taylor gets a crack at it. Finally.

Screenshot_20190623-183159_Chrome.jpg

Halkett was better than both last season I would agree. 

I didn’t watch Halkett at all but if he was better than both why were hearts able to sign him without a challenge?

Aberdeen have leveraged the media very effectively to talk up the value of a guy who is an average centre half. If team's are willing to pay the asking price, then they are justified in asking for it.

Of Souttar, we supposedly turned down a seven figure bid from Wigan in 2018, but it should probably be remembered that he's had two longish term injuries in his 3 years at Hearts, he was out for the second half of the 2016/17 season and from September to late January this season. He's also right sided, which is makes him less of a rare commodity than the left sided McKenna.

Edited by Martin_T

Guest ToqueJambo
18 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Lets pretend he was good last season then? 

Well he was good enough to make his scotland breakthrough before getting injured playing for scotland!

Guest ToqueJambo
58 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Well if Scotland are shite and Souttar isn’t getting a game, where does that leave us?

Don’t forget Leigh Griffiths was overlooked for scotland by several managers despite being our most natural and prolific goalscorer probably since McCoist, Johnston and Robbo. And during a period when we were crying out for a goalscorer.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Inch Hearts
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Well he was good enough to make his scotland breakthrough before getting injured playing for scotland!

As has the player in question who has kept him out the team through two different head coaches.  Souttar and McKenna were poor last season. 

Mr Elwood P
28 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Because Alex McLeish is a turps addled dementia victim. I genuinely thought you were joking. ?

Not just McLeish the though. Half of JKB were desperate for us to approach Clark to be our manager. I’m more concerned that Aberdeen are knocking back £5-7m bids when we’ve not even arrived at the auctions!

SpruceBringsteen
Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

Not just McLeish the though. Half of JKB were desperate for us to approach Clark to be our manager. I’m more concerned that Aberdeen are knocking back £5-7m bids when we’ve not even arrived at the auctions!

Clarke's had two games in which McKenna (and Mulgrew) stunk the place out. If he keeps picking them I'll be questioning his cleaning fluid habit too. Souttar is better than both of them. It's not debatable.

Inch Hearts
7 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Clarke's had two games in which McKenna (and Mulgrew) stunk the place out. If he keeps picking them I'll be questioning his cleaning fluid habit too. Souttar is better than both of them. It's not debatable.

Yes it is.  Souttar isn’t better than Mulgrew. 

Guest ToqueJambo
35 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

As has the player in question who has kept him out the team through two different head coaches.  Souttar and McKenna were poor last season. 

Could have sworn Souttar was injured. 

Guest ToqueJambo
36 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Allegedly. 

Idk whats funnier, the fact that Celtic think he’s worth 5m or the fact that Aberdeen have knocked the silly ^^^^s back

Inch Hearts
11 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Could have sworn Souttar was injured. 

So was McKenna for a period of the season.