Maroon Sailor

Group A: France, South Korea, Norway, Nigeria

Group B: Germany, China, Spain, South Africa

Group C: Australia, Italy, Brazil, Jamaica

Group D: England, Scotland, Argentina, Japan

Group E: Canada, Cameroon, New Zealand, Netherlands

Group F: USA, Thailand, Chile, Sweden

Top 2 and 4 best 3rd placed teams go through to the 2nd round

Be nice to see Scotland get to the knock out stages. Going to be tough for them though.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Mikey1874

• Lovecraft

• kila

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I watched highlights of the Scotland v Jamaica game, outfield players looked decent but the keepers terrible.

Bazzas right boot

Quite enjoyed the games, Enjoyed the late games last time. 

Unsure if being on at a " normal" time is better or worse for the tournament. 

Scotland being in it gives it a different feeling, be good to watch. 

Mr Elwood P

Sweepstake for the first poster to interject with some disparaging or derogatory comment? My guess has a number and an eye in the username ....

Usa v Sweden should be good

Should be able to put up a good showing I think we are somewhere between the Elite and average teams in potential. So hoping at least to get through to last 16 at worst. More than capable but we also have England and Japan which is one of the worst draws we could of got ?

Edited by sadj

23 minutes ago, sadj said:

Usa v Sweden should be good

Should be able to put up a good showing I think we are somewhere between the Elite and average teams in potential. So hoping at least to get through to last 16 at worst. More than capable but we also have England and Japan which is one of the worst draws we could of got ?

NZ just beat England in a friendly.  Only a friendly but still.

I'm really looking forward to it unlike a few on JKB who don't seem to rate womens football.  How will they cope with electric cars.?

Never watched women's football but if its between watching Scotland at a world Cup or watching the men toil against Cyprus and Belgium, I think I might just start. Do us proud! 

August Landmesser

There's a great documentary on iPlayer about Scotland's squad and the qualifying route. Made me misty-eyed at points.

Looking forward to this immensely, Shelley Kerr plays a good, fast attacking game. Worried about the England & Japan games, but should have enough to beat Argentina.

Dalstonjambo

I'm ashamed to say I don't know a lot about our relative strength, but I'd support Scotland against England vehemently in anything. Do we have a shot of getting out the group?

His name is

The tabloids usually have a double page spread of the hottest players before the mens world Cup. I'm expecting the same for this. Equality and all that. 

On the playing front, scotland seem to have some decent players playing at a good level. Erin Cuthbert being tipped to be a top top player 

Looking forward to the Scotland v England game

Next weekend could help restore some national pride... Steve Clarke's mens team humping Cyprus and giving us hope for Belgium, and the women beating the Auld Enemy and on their way to topping their group :D

Gene Parmesan

I think it'll be a great few weeks. The Scotland squad is teeming with quality players.

If you watch a game featuring the skill of Little, Weir, Emslie and Cuthbert and go "aye but the goalies aren't as good" then you are doing it wrong.

Calebs Grandad

Im all for the options given to any young girl who wants to play football and if good enough the chance to progress up the ladder. What I do find a touch annoying is the way the BBC treat it as a top level sport which for me just ends up leaving certain players open to ridicule when their skills fall short of what’s been built up. The usual levels debates always crop up with many likening it to boys under 14/15 etc etc whereas it should simply be taken at face value. 

1 hour ago, Dalstonjambo said:

I'm ashamed to say I don't know a lot about our relative strength, but I'd support Scotland against England vehemently in anything. Do we have a shot of getting out the group?

According to the betting England and Japan are stick ons to qualify.

Argentina and Scotland will be fighting out for third place. So avoiding a thumping against the higher rated teams is important if hoping to get a best third place entry in to the next round.

Mind you the women's game is developing fast so teams are improving all the time and could be a few surprises. 

Looking forward to this .?

Calebs Grandad
1 hour ago, Dalstonjambo said:

We do as a win and a draw should see at least a best third place. England will most likely qualify but ourselves and Japan could finish second as Argentina are not strong. 

Looking forward to watching it. Delighted Scotland are there and will be cheering the lassies on just as much as I would the men. 

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I was impressed with some of the play against Jamaica and think there’s a real chance of an upset against England. They’ve got Phil Neville as coach and I don’t think he’s up to much. For a team supposedly among the favourites to win it they’ve come a cropper twice in warm up games. Meanwhile, Scotland put up a decent showing against the World Cup holders, the US, and Shelley Kerr seems to be pretty switched on.

OmiyaHearts

I hardly watch women's football but I really enjoyed the BBC doc last night on the Scotland team. I love the passion, honesty and openness you get from them and it's definitely swayed me to take an interest in the upcoming tournament. It really feels like a back-to-basics game that hasn't been ruined by money.

Dagger Is Back
40 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I hardly watch women's football but I really enjoyed the BBC doc last night on the Scotland team. I love the passion, honesty and openness you get from them and it's definitely swayed me to take an interest in the upcoming tournament. It really feels like a back-to-basics game that hasn't been ruined by money.

Absolutely. Really looking forward to the tournament and hope we do well.

Womens football is at long last on the up and up. The benefits to us as a nation are massive. These girls have an opportunity to inspire a nation.

John Findlay
2 hours ago, Dalstonjambo said:

We do. I think England will beat us. Draw with Japan and beat Argentina.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Matthew Le Tissier said:

Mon the Lionesses ??????????????

The rampant lionesses

Scotland have some very good players, quite a few play for the likes of Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea and one plays out in Italy for Fiorentina. 

For anyone who’s not watched a women’s game I think you’ll get a shock at the quality on show. Japan and England are favourites for our group but we’re no mugs and should hold our own against them.

If we do well the coach might get offered a job in the men’s game there’s no doubting she knows the game well.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The light ball definitely helps. As mum said if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all. 

So I will stop there,  but hope Scotland do themselves proud and leave nothing behind. 

I think Shelley will make sure of that 

Hackney Hearts
7 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Always good to have Jambo involvement at a World Cup.

feedthefox

Saw the programme last night about the road to the finals, it was a fantastic watch and I must say I hadn't really appreciated just how well they did. I was also very taken with how well they all spoke, mature, confident and thoughtful.

FFS at one point they were 2-0 down away with 15mins to go in a match they had to win which they duly did. Shelley Kerr is unflappable and is very impressive I will deffo be watching and supporting. Huge respect.

Edited by feedthefox

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

The light ball definitely helps. As mum said if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all. 

So I will stop there,  but hope Scotland do themselves proud and leave nothing behind. 

??

As in the balls today are lighter or are you saying the women play with a lighter ball?

13 hours ago, RudiHMFC said:

I watched highlights of the Scotland v Jamaica game, outfield players looked decent but the keepers terrible.

Fair point. Always been an issue in women's football 

13 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Sweepstake for the first poster to interject with some disparaging or derogatory comment? My guess has a number and an eye in the username ....

:qqb010: Now, let me think who you could mean.

:wink: 

14 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Scotland v England next Sunday. 

Think we are going along to this one.  They are really starting to promote and advertise the tournament here now.

1A6537C6-E6EF-47CE-8A21-664F429FA8A6.jpeg

54 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

The lassie on BBC England is foaming at the gash regarding England winning it. 

Like she was at the World Cup last year. 

We'll see..

Delicate opening sentence there.

Robbo-Jambo
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Think we are going along to this one.  They are really starting to promote and advertise the tournament here now.

Yeah they are starting to build it up here as well.

There was a documentary on BBC last night showing how they made it to the world cup etc. Even Mrs R J thought it was a good watch :greggy:.

Enjoy the day if you go and hopefully we can get off to a winning start against the English.

2 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Yeah they are starting to build it up here as well.

There was a documentary on BBC last night showing how they made it to the world cup etc. Even Mrs R J thought it was a good watch :greggy:.

Enjoy the day if you go and hopefully we can get off to a winning start against the English.

Thanks, fingers crossed we’ll shut up the English.

That was probably me saying something more in hope rather than in expectation!

(The shouting them up bit I meant, not the beating them!)

2 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Subtlety is not my forte, mon ami. 

:vrface:

Never.  :biggrin:

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, Taffin said:

??

As in the balls today are lighter or are you saying the women play with a lighter ball?

Women play with a lighter ball which definitely helps speed of the game 

Just now, Sir Gio said:

Women play with a lighter ball which definitely helps speed of the game 

? Interesting, I didn't know that. I've always thought the goals should maybe be a bit smaller and having them full size leads to a lot of the criticism of the keepers but hadn't considered the ball would be lighter. 

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

? Interesting, I didn't know that. I've always thought the goals should maybe be a bit smaller and having them full size leads to a lot of the criticism of the keepers but hadn't considered the ball would be lighter. 

I agree. We play on 9 a side pitches in Scotland until under 13s where they move to 11a side. If it wasn’t for the need to get them used to playing on an 11 a side pitch I think they’d be suited to a 9 a side pitch until they were 14. Is there much difference in the physical attributes in a 13/14 year old boy and a woman? I’d assume not! 

9 a side goals and possibly a slightly smaller pitch size between 9 a side and the smallest allowed 11 a side would suit the women’s game and undoubtedly improve the quality on show. 

Its a different sport to the mens game so I’m not sure why they follow the exact same rules. For example, Women’s and men’s golf use different tees due to the physical differences. 

The Old Tolbooth
8 hours ago, Dalstonjambo said:

I reckon we'll finish 3rd in the group mate, it would be something of a shock result if we managed to take something from England or Japan, and the game between them should be very decent too. Knowing Scotland, they'll get something from one of those two and then blow it against Argentina!

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

Here too

Bluesy1874

I will probably catch a few games, I watched the New Zealand vs England game the other day. The quality was okay, I've been to worse Hearts games. 

John Findlay

This Sunday coming 17.00 KO UK time against England.

Friday 14th June 14.00 KO UK time against Japan.

Last group game is Wednesday 19th June KO 20.00 UK time against Argentina. All games live on the BBC.

Edited by John Findlay

Spellczech
5 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

The lassie on BBC England is foaming at the gash regarding England winning it. 

Like she was at the World Cup last year. 

We'll see..

Perhaps having some ladyfun with a Mentos?

I have mixed feelings about women's football. The outfield play can be very good but then it can all be undone by some dreadful goalkeeping or defending. Plus side is that you are almost guaranteed goals....

Sure I heard somewhere that none of the England GKs even gets a game at club level!!!

Big achievement making it to the tournament and will continue to raise the profile of the game here.  Credit to Shelley Jambo Kerr and the players.

As others have said, England and Japan will be big favourites for the first and second spots - hard draw for us. hopefully our team don’t get overawed and can do themselves justice.

Little is a class act and Cuthbert is an exciting player to watch- wee never give up heart on her sleeve type, with bags of talent.

highlandjambo3
On 02/06/2019 at 23:58, Mr Elwood P said:

Eyeate it when people try to guess stuff

It’s been a great build up profile wise and no doubt ladies football is massively on the up. 

I think this is the breakthrough event. 

I don’t mind watching it but you have to hold your breath anytime someone has any type of shot as the keepers are erratic at best.