When Last Did You Wear A Tie?

FWJ

Bridge of Djoum
13 hours ago, The_razors_edge said:

A couple of weeks ago for a job interview. Didn’t get the job in case anyone’s interested :sadrobbo:

Should've worn a knitted tie.

Apparently.

Bridge of Djoum
3 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Gorgie Suite in March, but previously July 17 for a job interview, when even the interviewer didn't brother with a tie.

When companies now want their staff to be creative, innovative and so on, never quite understood why some continue to insist that staff can be mandated to wear a corporate noose round their necks.

''Corporate noose''.

Bantz.

Francis Albert

I don't get the "most pointless item of clothing" line. They are a fashion or style item. What is the point of baseball caps and hoodies, manufactured/deliberate rips in jeans, jewellery, tattoos, slogans on T shirts, jacket lapels, turn-ups on trousers and even shorts (!) for that matter? Watches on people whose hands seem surgically attached to their mobile phones?

Bridge of Djoum
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

I don't get the "most pointless item of clothing" line. They are a fashion or style item. What is the point of baseball caps and hoodies, manufactured/deliberate rips in jeans, jewellery, tattoos, slogans on T shirts, jacket lapels, turn-ups on trousers and even shorts (!) for that matter? Watches on people whose hands seem surgically attached to their mobile phones?

Image result for grandad gif

23 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Well of course I have and issue with ties, I fecking hate the feckers, and I do everything in my power not to wear them, fortunately only time I need to wear one is weddings & funerals.

Right, you're being serious?

been here before
4 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Just :facepalm:

Francis Albert
37 minutes ago, been here before said:

Just :facepalm:

Thanks for that clarification. A few hundreds of  thousands (?) of years ago man invented the useful communication tool of language. But now face palms are the way to go.

And don't bother. I can guess what is coming.

been here before
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Thanks for that clarification. A few hundreds of  thousands (?) of years ago man invented the useful communication tool of language. But now face palms are the way to go.

And don't bother. I can guess what is coming.

If your previous post outlining why ties arent useless is serious then aye, facepalm are the way to go.

Francis Albert
23 minutes ago, been here before said:

If your previous post outlining why ties arent useless is serious then aye, facepalm are the way to go.

But I didn't say ties weren't useless. Pretty much the opposite in fact. I said most fashion and style items including ties are useless. Reading is the way to go!

Nookie Bear

Love a nice tie and it’s a shame I don’t get the opportunity to wear one on a daily basis anymore. 

One thing that seems to be the thing now is wearing a suit, shirt with the top two or three buttons undone. Unacceptable 

been here before
9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

But I didn't say ties weren't useless. Pretty much the opposite in fact. I said most fashion and style items including ties are useless. Reading is the way to go!

Shorts are useless... baseball caps... hoodie are useless... righto.

Rips in jeans are only comparible if we're talking rips in ties...

Tattoos today evolved from something useful... jacket lapels serve no purpose?

Anyhow I promised myself I wouldnt get dragged into your pish so Im out.

You bash on though.

Edited by been here before

Francis Albert
23 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Love a nice tie and it’s a shame I don’t get the opportunity to wear one on a daily basis anymore. 

One thing that seems to be the thing now is wearing a suit, shirt with the top two or three buttons undone. Unacceptable 

I have to admit to sometimes wearing a suit without a tie and top shirt button undone (doing up the top button without a tie is obviously a non-starter!). But  I  do think that a suit without a tie looks incomplete.

Bradley Walsh on The Chase often wears a suit without a tie but with a fake white handkerchief showing in the breast pocket of his suit which IMO looks ridiculous.

Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert
13 minutes ago, been here before said:

Shorts are useless... baseball caps... hoodie are useless... righto.

Rips in jeans are only comparible if we're talking rips in ties...

Tattoos today evolved from something useful... jacket lapels serve no purpose?

Anyhow I promised myself I wouldnt get dragged into your pish so Im out.

You bash on though.

I meant turn ups on shorts rather than shorts themselves.

Bridge of Djoum
4 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Funeral, interview, 

Court, Hazza lad?

On 18/05/2019 at 11:54, Governor Tarkin said:

My grandfather wore a shirt and tie any time he left the house.

Mine was the same. Took great pride in his appearance at all times. Even when back indoors his only concession to more casual attire was removing the tie and undoing the top button of his shirt. Also always wore gold plated clips around his forearms to keep his sleeves slightly lifted.

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, martoon said:

Mine was the same. Took great pride in his appearance at all times. Even when back indoors his only concession to more casual attire was removing the tie and undoing the top button of his shirt. Also always wore gold plated clips around his forearms to keep his sleeves slightly lifted.

I've been toying with the idea of resurrecting this sartorial leaning, now that I'm of a certain vintage.

2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I've been toying with the idea of resurrecting this sartorial leaning, now that I'm of a certain vintage.

Sometimes feel I'm letting the auld fella down with my less than snappy dressing. 

Nookie Bear
On 19/05/2019 at 08:41, DETTY29 said:

Gorgie Suite in March, but previously July 17 for a job interview, when even the interviewer didn't brother with a tie.

When companies now want their staff to be creative, innovative and so on, never quite understood why some continue to insist that staff can be mandated to wear a corporate noose round their necks.

Far more creative for everyone to be wearing skinny jeans and plaid shirts. Compulsory beards as well?

^_^

Craig Gordons Gloves

Ever since moving to the US (nearly 13 years ago) i can count on my fingers the number of times i've worn a suit and shirt and tie.  One of those occasions was the 2012 Cup Final when the only tickets i could get were hospitality.  Our office was business casual (shirt/polo shirt and trousers, jeans etc on a friday) now it's gone to "Dress for your day" so i'm currently sitting at my desk in a pair of jeans, polo shirt and trainers. Even our CEO doesn't wear a tie and we're a Fortune 50 company. There does seem to be a penchant for sports coats and jeans which i hate.  All those bloody awful looking checked jackets. The whole thing does make it alot easier in wardrobe mgt tbh. 

Edited by Craig Gordons Gloves

Pans Jambo

Fully get wearing one at a wedding/funeral etc but the tie is dying in the office environment. Mostly “business casual” is generally shoes, dressed trousers and a crisp shirt. In fact, I dont trust blokes in ties now...used car salesmen lookalikes! Shifty!

On 18/05/2019 at 16:38, LeftBack said:

I agree with this... I  have always worn a tie for work even though some of my jobs haven't been those you 'need' to wear ties and certainly not mandatory. For me a suit and tie is my uniform and when I wear it it is time for work and get my work head on. Tie off and its back to fun time. I'm in 40s so not that old.. But for me wearing a tie is a mindset.

I get this feeling as well.  I'll wear a shirt and tie for work if I'm doing something important, like a meeting with the Directors or a presentation. 

It gets me in that working mindset, and I feel more professional and productive. 

Usually my work is very casual, just jeans and a t-shirt, but I do like wearing a shirt and tie. I'm not that old either, only 27, but I think smart work wear is becoming a bit old fashioned, sadly!