U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

What I find totally disgusting is the behaviour of the Republicans who are trying like feck to discredit people who have served the USA with honor & distinction for many many years, indeed some have shed blood for the USA, and all the Republicans can do is try and save a total scumbag president.

Indeed. On a more general note, the reaction of the Republicans is interesting. I thought that there would have been more division in their ranks by now but they seem to have gone all in on Trump, perhaps buoyed by the glass floor through which his support doesn't appear to sink, no matter what he says or does. This going all in would indicate that if Trump loses out, it will be much harder for the Republicans to avoid the fall-out, as they will have pissed off a great deal more folk in the political system than if they had remained slightly apart and placed the blame squarely on Trump when everything goes tits up. Fidelity is great, but if you're riding along on someone's coat tails, you've got to know when to jump off.

Edited by redjambo

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Gordon Sondland (US Ambassador to the EU, installed by Trump) throwing everyone under the bus in his testimony today. It's a big moment as he's explicitly saying that there was a quid pro quo (although it's worth remembering that a quid pro quo isn't even necessary for impeachment).

Next step for Republicans will no doubt be moving from "there was no quid pro quo" to "so what if there was a quid pro quo?"

https://mobile.twitter.com/aravosis/status/1197184057249062915

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: One of the best politics-related things I have ever seen.

Mac_fae_Gillie
2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Indeed. On a more general note, the reaction of the Republicans is interesting. I thought that there would have been more division in their ranks by now but they seem to have gone all in on Trump, perhaps buoyed by the glass floor through which his support doesn't appear to sink, no matter what he says or does. This going all in would indicate that if Trump loses out, it will be much harder for the Republicans to avoid the fall-out, as they will have pissed off a great deal more folk in the political system than if they had remained slightly apart and placed the blame squarely on Trump when everything goes tits up. Fidelity is great, but if you're riding along on someone's coat tails, you've got to know when to jump off.

Most likely due to the fact its 1 year until the election, had it been 2years or more they would not doubt throw Trump under the bus and then do damage control having time but 1 year is just too short so its do or die.. Pretty sickening that party politics over shadow truth or justice.

6 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Gordon Sondland (US Ambassador to the EU, installed by Trump) throwing everyone under the bus in his testimony today. It's a big moment as he's explicitly saying that there was a quid pro quo (although it's worth remembering that a quid pro quo isn't even necessary for impeachment).

Next step for Republicans will no doubt be moving from "there was no quid pro quo" to "so what if there was a quid pro quo?"

Looks like the defence is even thinner than that!

From reading the Guardian coverage

Schiff draws chuckles:

“My colleagues seem to be under the impression that unless the president spoke the words, ‘I am bribing the Ukrainian president,’ that there’s no evidence of bribing,” Schiff says.

He also critiques the Republican argument that because Ukraine got the military aid there was never a condition on it.

“Yes,” says Schiff. “They got caught. They got caught.”

So of course Trump pushed Ukraine to investigate Biden jr and withheld aid as a quid pro quo BUT tbh I think it is essential that Trump stands in 2020 and is humiliatingly beaten at the ballot box regardless of his many crimes or misdemeanours misdemeanours.

4 hours ago, RobboM said:

Looks like the defence is even thinner than that!

From reading the Guardian coverage

So of course Trump pushed Ukraine to investigate Biden jr and withheld aid as a quid pro quo BUT tbh I think it is essential that Trump stands in 2020 and is humiliatingly beaten at the ballot box regardless of his many crimes or misdemeanours misdemeanours.

Its a good thought but a news report  stated that a recent poll showed Trump still had 90% approval  by Republicans, it also stated that support for impeachment and removal had dropped. 

Edited by bobsharp

I notice that several of the Republican members of the committee have left the hearings.

I guess they can't handle bad news.

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

I notice that several of the Republican members of the committee have left the hearings.

I guess they can't handle bad news.

I know there was votes coming up and the recess was extended may be some of the reason for absences.

I don't know why any Reublican would leave because of the evidence, just watched some Fox News and they state emphatically   there is nothing there just Democrat Partisan statements. They must be right because if you listen to them the only person not telling lies is the President.

Edited by bobsharp

Incredible they can even attempt to defend this crook now. Every witness has said Trump bribed the Ukrainians with $400m military aid for a public announcement against the Bidens. Trump is a crook. 

3 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Is Graham not the man who said he would not read the deposition transcripts and would not watch the Hearings, and he is m,aking a move to prove Trump innocent. I have watched the Hearings, the Lieutenant Colonel and AmbassadorTaylor two reliable witnesses and both did what the President never has served their country in battle. The two witnesses yesterday were two of the best witnesses I have seen and I have seen a few in my time. They stated facts, direct evidence, their opinions presumptions gauged by what they had, seen, heard. The colleagues of Graham were unable to do anything to cast doubt on their credible testimony, but instead rambled on about some woman named Hillary, and other rubbish, about someone named Obama. Neither of whom are President today, or even in government, one is retired the other a vanquished foe, time to get over them.

3 hours ago, bobsharp said:

Is Graham not the man who said he would not read the deposition transcripts and would not watch the Hearings, and he is making a move to prove Trump innocent.

That's correct, Bob. It's the height of pathetic, hypocritical behaviour from him to now do this.

Here's a little bit of humour for some levity. :food-smiley-004:

image.png.d5582193df142d9fbc365ab5b4ab28bf.png

So quite a bit of breaking news this morning. One of Rudy's friends is doing some talking. He alleges Nunes flew to Europe to discuss with Kosenko sp. information regarding an investigation or about an investigation of the Bidens. There is also an e mail been produced that again shows discussions on the Biden matters. Nunes when approached by CNN on this revelation stated, he wouldn't talk to CNN about anything in this life or the next one. Not likely to happen in the next one where Nunes will be it will be too hot for cameras or mikes.

That shirt collar is getting tighter and tighter around old Donnys neck, but the good news is he will not find the upcoming noose too much tighter.

There is a story that Trump may have had an MRI last week of his heart. This is not a part of any general annual medical.  I suspect the result would be negative as the man has no heart.

56 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

There is a story that Trump may have had an MRI last week of his heart. This is not a part of any general annual medical.  I suspect the result would be negative as the man has no heart.

Well there's one thing, it certainly wouldn't ever be posted 'missing in action'.

CNN tonight has a documentary on all the lies Trump has told since he took office. I just left another program going over the Impeachment Hearing testimony. Somehow I find it hard to believe that there is anyone left who would vote for Trump. He has kissed Chinese Xi ass, he has kissed Kims North Korean ass, he has kissed the ass of Russias Putin. None of these pleasantly treated leaders has as yet done a thing that proves their intent to support him in any way. He is weak,he is indecisive, he changes his mind based on level of pressure received, he is everything you cannot be as a leader at any level.

The thing I really do not understand is what do the Hannitys, Carlsons, Nunes,Jordan, and Lindsey Graham expect to get out of their pandering to such a man. Its a puzzle to me.

1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

CNN tonight has a documentary on all the lies Trump has told since he took office. I just left another program going over the Impeachment Hearing testimony. Somehow I find it hard to believe that there is anyone left who would vote for Trump. He has kissed Chinese Xi ass, he has kissed Kims North Korean ass, he has kissed the ass of Russias Putin. None of these pleasantly treated leaders has as yet done a thing that proves their intent to support him in any way. He is weak,he is indecisive, he changes his mind based on level of pressure received, he is everything you cannot be as a leader at any level.

The thing I really do not understand is what do the Hannitys, Carlsons, Nunes,Jordan, and Lindsey Graham expect to get out of their pandering to such a man. Its a puzzle to me.

Below is a quote from Wikipedia, Bob.  Trump is filling the courts with judges holding a conservative viewpoint.  This will have an impact on court decisions for many years to come.  If Trump gets re-elected, he will be able to continue this for another four years. The decisions of these courts could affect abortion rights, gay rights, women's rights, gun laws, climate change decisions, separation of church and state, immigration laws, and other matters that are dear to conservatives.

As of November 21, 2019, the United States Senate has confirmed 164 Article III judges nominated by President Trump, including 2 Associate Justices of the Supreme Court of the United States, 48 judges for the United States Courts of Appeals, 112 judges for the United States District Courts, and 2 judges for the United States Court of International Trade.[2] There are currently 49 nominations to Article III courts awaiting Senate action, including 4 for the Courts of Appeals, 44 for the District Courts and 1 for the Court of International Trade.[3] There is currently 1 vacancy on the U.S. Courts of Appeals, 87 vacancies on the U.S. District Courts, 2 vacancies on the U.S. Court of International Trade,[3] and 15 announced federal judicial vacancies that will occur before the end of Trump's first term (3 for the Courts of Appeals and 12 for District Courts

Isn't Joe Bidens behaviour and nepotism involving Ukraine and the former president Obama's on at least a par with the current corrupt regime?

And if Trumps impeachment is legit which I'm sure it is.Doess that mean that nearly every president should also have faced the same?

Or are we just ignoring regime change and personal gain withholding of aid for political gain when it suits?

The festival of entertainment brought to us courtesy of Pelosi and Schiff showcasing aspiring comedians and bad actors but nothing in the way of evidence or factual intent to quid pro quo, or for that matter any other bleaching impeaching game changing scenario. This rubbish will surely back-fire big time. End message.

Mac_fae_Gillie
1 hour ago, jake said:

Isn't Joe Bidens behaviour and nepotism involving Ukraine and the former president Obama's on at least a par with the current corrupt regime?

And if Trumps impeachment is legit which I'm sure it is.Doess that mean that nearly every president should also have faced the same?

Or are we just ignoring regime change and personal gain withholding of aid for political gain when it suits?

Biden used his name to help his son out, Trump used $400million of public money to try and improve his political standing. OK so Biden he is what he is should he just ignore the trouble his son was in (possibly in) or do what all fathers would do and help out?? As for Biden's son he got mixed up in good old nasty post  Soviet companies that are nearly all dirty, now lets see how Trump has invested his money around the world, pretty darn sure there is plenty to find with Donald or his kids.

2 hours ago, jake said:

Jakeaboutery at its finest. But, but Obama 👈

1 hour ago, alfajambo said:

The festival of entertainment brought to us courtesy of Pelosi and Schiff showcasing aspiring comedians and bad actors but nothing in the way of evidence or factual intent to quid pro quo, or for that matter any other bleaching impeaching game changing scenario. This rubbish will surely back-fire big time. End message.

Suppose you think it was fake blood which Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman bled for the US when he was blown up by an IED in Iraq, or was that all just a movie with 'bad actors'.

But you are absolutely correct about this rubbish back-firing, never tends to turn out well when REAL American hero's are being discredited, especially by cowards.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Just to understand what is going on here.

Putin's Russia have a very recent history of military involvement in the Ukraine.
The Ukraine needs US military aid not simply for the aid but for the message of support it shows for the Ukraine to stand up against Putin's Russia.
Trump holds back on that aid NOT because Biden's son is even necessarily involved in corruption in Ukraine but just for the domestic political advantage of being able to say the Ukraine are investigating Biden potential corruption.
Trump appoints Guiliani as his "fixer" for this scheme
Trump instructs all his diplomats and anyone within hearing range that his support is contingent on an investigation being announced.

Nothing to see here? Jeezo

6 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Putin's Russia have a very recent history of military involvement in the Ukraine.
The Ukraine needs US military aid not simply for the aid but for the message of support it shows for the Ukraine to stand up against Putin's Russia.
Trump holds back on that aid NOT because Biden's son is even necessarily involved in corruption in Ukraine but just for the domestic political advantage of being able to say the Ukraine are investigating Biden potential corruption.
Trump instructs all his diplomats and anyone within hearing range that his support is contingent on an investigation being announced.

And whilst there is an investigation and hearings going on to determine what the facts are, Trump & his Republican sycophants are trying everything they can to besmirch anybody and everybody who has the nerve to testify against 'dear leader', not only this but they are also trying to rewrite history and claim that it was Ukraine and not Russia who tried to interfere with the 2016 election, despite overwhelming evidence from multiple intelligence agencies which state that it was Russia.

2 hours ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

Biden used his name to help his son out, Trump used $400million of public money to try and improve his political standing. OK so Biden he is what he is should he just ignore the trouble his son was in (possibly in) or do what all fathers would do and help out?? As for Biden's son he got mixed up in good old nasty post  Soviet companies that are nearly all dirty, now lets see how Trump has invested his money around the world, pretty darn sure there is plenty to find with Donald or his kids.

So it's ok that Biden was part of an administration which oversaw regime change in the Ukraine and his son benefited from that through a position with oil and gas companies .

Not forgetting the windfall payments ?

48 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Jakeaboutery at its finest. But, but Obama 👈

I'm not whatabouting mate.

Trump deserves his impeachment.

It's the hypocrisy.

Trumps the bare face of it all.

And the reason we get the likes of boris and trump is exactly because of the constant corruption.

It's not whataboutery mate its .....well I dunno maybe it is but it's not to defend trump .

Its pointing out that those politicians who point the finger are just as if not more guilty.

37 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Is there any merit in what Trump says?

Was Biden using US taxpayers money and US foreign policy to look after his son .

Not exclusively for that reason but come on if that's not corrupt .

Giulliani was doing the Tv circuit again yesterday. Talking his usual elderly mans guff. However when asked point blank if he was concerned Trump would throw him under the bus, he stated he had no concerns at all because. "I have insurance" a statement he has made for some time and numerous times  during interviews. For me probably the first non lie he has told throughout.

Edited by bobsharp

18 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And whilst there is an investigation and hearings going on to determine what the facts are, Trump & his Republican sycophants are trying everything they can to besmirch anybody and everybody who has the nerve to testify against 'dear leader', not only this but they are also trying to rewrite history and claim that it was Ukraine and not Russia who tried to interfere with the 2016 election, despite overwhelming evidence from multiple intelligence agencies which state that it was Russia.

I dont think the Republicans are that fond of Trump .

I do laugh at the constant gripes about electoral interference (not proven) from the regime changing kings that is the USA.

10 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Below is a quote from Wikipedia, Bob.  Trump is filling the courts with judges holding a conservative viewpoint.  This will have an impact on court decisions for many years to come.  If Trump gets re-elected, he will be able to continue this for another four years. The decisions of these courts could affect abortion rights, gay rights, women's rights, gun laws, climate change decisions, separation of church and state, immigration laws, and other matters that are dear to conservatives.

As of November 21, 2019, the United States Senate has confirmed 164 Article III judges nominated by President Trump, including 2 Associate Justices of the Supreme Court of the United States, 48 judges for the United States Courts of Appeals, 112 judges for the United States District Courts, and 2 judges for the United States Court of International Trade.[2] There are currently 49 nominations to Article III courts awaiting Senate action, including 4 for the Courts of Appeals, 44 for the District Courts and 1 for the Court of International Trade.[3] There is currently 1 vacancy on the U.S. Courts of Appeals, 87 vacancies on the U.S. District Courts, 2 vacancies on the U.S. Court of International Trade,[3] and 15 announced federal judicial vacancies that will occur before the end of Trump's first term (3 for the Courts of Appeals and 12 for District Courts

Yes and it doesn't look like the elderly lady will last much longer.

16 minutes ago, jake said:

Was Biden using US taxpayers money and US foreign policy to look after his son .

If there is evidence that Biden broke the law, then there should be an investigation.  If there is any evidence that Biden's son broke the law, then that should be investigated also.

But that doesn't alter the fact that there is considerable evidence that Trump broke the law regarding withholding military aid to Ukraine, to the benefit of his pal Putin, and to potential political benefit of himself.  That's what the Impeachment hearings are about. It's a Constitutional duty of congress to provide oversight on the Executive Branch of government, and that's what they're doing.

The two issues are separate.

23 minutes ago, jake said:

If there was anything, I mean anything ,the Ukrainians could have thrown into the mix to open up access to the aid and US support via a public Trump meeting then they would have ponied up already.
Equally, if there was anything, just anything, that the US diplomats in the area could have produced to support then it would have surfaced.
You only have to listen to what the grown ups were saying at the impeachment inquiry last week
Trump wanted dirt on Biden. It was even enough for the Ukrainians just to say they were investigating.

21 minutes ago, jake said:

I dont think the Republicans are that fond of Trump .

I do laugh at the constant gripes about electoral interference (not proven) from the regime changing kings that is the USA.

Well for not liking him they back him enough or maybe I'm just confusing their thirst and love of power over loyalty for Trump.

9 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Well for not liking him they back him enough or maybe I'm just confusing their thirst and love of power over loyalty for Trump.

I think they are just too heavily invested now. J-J

They have to live and/or die by Trump

40 minutes ago, RobboM said:

I agree.  And he's their best bet in 2020.

1 hour ago, jake said:

So it's ok that Biden was part of an administration which oversaw regime change in the Ukraine and his son benefited from that through a position with oil and gas companies .

Not forgetting the windfall payments ?

I'm not whatabouting mate.

Trump deserves his impeachment.

It's the hypocrisy.

Trumps the bare face of it all.

And the reason we get the likes of boris and trump is exactly because of the constant corruption.

It's not whataboutery mate its .....well I dunno maybe it is but it's not to defend trump .

Its pointing out that those politicians who point the finger are just as if not more guilty.

👍 

1 hour ago, RobboM said:

Yeh you're probably right, it'll be fun watching how many of them desperately try and distance themselves from Trump when it all goes pear shaped.

1 hour ago, RobboM said:

Graham Norton was getting interviewed by Colbert a few years back and the very same topic came up. Watch from about 4:50 onwards, they pretty much hit the nail on the head:

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Or maybe they find it difficult not to back him given the hypocrisy of it all ?

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

If there is evidence that Biden broke the law, then there should be an investigation.  If there is any evidence that Biden's son broke the law, then that should be investigated also.

But that doesn't alter the fact that there is considerable evidence that Trump broke the law regarding withholding military aid to Ukraine, to the benefit of his pal Putin, and to potential political benefit of himself.  That's what the Impeachment hearings are about. It's a Constitutional duty of congress to provide oversight on the Executive Branch of government, and that's what they're doing.

The two issues are separate.

I dont doubt Trump acted improperly at the very least.

As I do not doubt that every previous administration has.

As for the issues being separate.

They are not imo.

20 minutes ago, jake said:

I dont doubt Trump acted improperly at the very least.

As I do not doubt that every previous administration has.

As for the issues being separate.

They are not imo.

The process for laying charges against a sitting President is called Impeachment.  Joe Biden is not President, he's not even an elected politician, so any possible charges against him would be through the criminal process.  That's why they are separate issues.

The Republicans dearly want to talk about Biden during the Impeachment hearings, but that is just a deflection tactic.

59 minutes ago, jake said:

Or maybe they find it difficult not to back him given the hypocrisy of it all ?

Well they are politicians afterall, being hypocrites & lying tw@ts is kinda like second nature to them.

48 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

The process for laying charges against a sitting President is called Impeachment.  Joe Biden is not President, he's not even an elected politician, so any possible charges against him would be through the criminal process.  That's why they are separate issues.

The Republicans dearly want to talk about Biden during the Impeachment hearings, but that is just a deflection tactic.

Wasnt really meaning the mechanics Maple.

I had posted a long reply .

But realised I'm just going to repeat myself.

🙂

7 hours ago, jake said:

No.

4 hours ago, jake said:

So it's ok that Biden was part of an administration which oversaw regime change in the Ukraine and his son benefited from that through a position with oil and gas companies

Also no.

See how easy that is?

4 hours ago, jake said:

Good, you realised it is whataboutery. Now you need to continue to engage that noggin, on the basis of the two "no" answers above, and get to the fact it can't possibly be that those politicians who point the finger are either just as, or more (ffs) guilty.

That they are not squeaky clean themselves, and we shouldn't tolerate that either, is neither the least bit groundbreaking, nor a justification.

1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

No.

Also no.

See how easy that is?

Good, you realised it is whataboutery. Now you need to continue to engage that noggin, on the basis of the two "no" answers above, and get to the fact it can't possibly be that those politicians who point the finger are either just as, or more (ffs) guilty.

That they are not squeaky clean themselves, and we shouldn't tolerate that either, is neither the least bit groundbreaking, nor a justification.

😩

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)