U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Cade said:

GOP members of Congress now refusing en masse to wear masks in the chamber.

Feckin children.

God will save them.

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

GOP members of Congress now refusing en masse to wear masks in the chamber.

Feckin children.

The pandemic is a media hoax, dontcha know. :wtf:

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

God is worth a follow, as is Jesus. I woke up to the notification that Satan follows me. 

0C09D4AD-BD55-41F5-84E1-AF75DF0CFEF2.png

D8044E0E-B4B3-4F94-96AE-49E8DD25CC5B.jpeg

46754113-16C3-4BED-A289-F062EDF2656C.jpeg

:scenes:
14th amendment:
"Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State"
"No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may, by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability."

So all these politicians that took part can be barred from office. And voting. And owning a gun.

Edited by Cade

CNN have obtained a draft copy of the article of impeachment of President Trump charging him with 'Incitement of Insurrection'.

It could be presented to the house as early as Monday.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

CNN have obtained a draft copy of the article of impeachment of President Trump charging him with 'Incitement of Insurrection'.

It could be presented to the house as early as Monday.

:pleasing:

Remember this guy, he's Richard Barnett from Arkansas, well the FBI arrested him this morning and have charged him various offences.

Strangely he wasn't smiling in his police mugshot I wonder why.

https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2021/01/08/arkansas-man-arrested-after-seen-sitting-speaker-pelosis-office-nbc-reports/

image.jpeg.27826f0223ccc64e8c5176935cb93514.jpeg

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Kalamazoo Jambo

Lisa Murkowski (Alaskan senator) calls for Trump to resign and questions her future in the Republican Party. She was probably one of the three or four most likely Republican Senators to do this but still nice to see a Republican Senator finally go this far.

3 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Lisa Murkowski (Alaskan senator) calls for Trump to resign and questions her future in the Republican Party. She was probably one of the three or four most likely Republican Senators to do this but still nice to see.

4 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

:)

By the way, I don't buy all this impeachment guff with only 12 days to go.  Either Donald Trump did something criminal with respect to the riots at the Capitol, or he did not.  Other people involved in the riots are being investigated and will presumably be charged where appropriate.  The same should happen to Donald Trump, whether under D.C. or federal law.  Impeachment proceedings at this stage would be performative at best, and could impede a proper criminal investigation.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

By the way, I don't buy all this impeachment guff with only 12 days to go.  Either Donald Trump did something criminal with respect to the riots at the Capitol, or he did not.  Other people involved in the riots are being investigated and will presumably be charged where appropriate.  The same should happen to Donald Trump, whether under D.C. or federal law.  Impeachment proceedings at this stage would be performative at best, and could impede a proper criminal investigation.

It’s been said up there that if he’s impeached again he can’t run in 2024 so that might well be the ultimate aim. 

5 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

:)

You have to love the sheer stupidity. They were like bank robbers executing a heist while leaving a business card with their name and photo. This stupid bitch is a prime example.

Apparently since then there's been a rush to try and delete all the photos of themselves attacking a government building which at the time they quickly posted on Facebook etc.

We're storming the Capitol, it's a Revolution!

Kalamazoo Jambo
3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Got to disagree here. If impeachment proceedings send a message to Trump and future would-be autocrats, it will be worth it. Congress can’t rely on the Justice Department coming down on Trump with criminal charges, and Biden shouldn’t - and I’m pretty sure wouldn’t - interfere with the Justice Department’s decisions in this regard.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

You have to love the sheer stupidity. They were like bank robbers executing a heist while leaving a business card with their name and photo. This stupid bitch is a prime example.

Apparently since then there's been a rush to try and delete all the photos of themselves attacking a government building which at the time they quickly posted on Facebook etc.

We're storming the Capitol, it's a Revolution!

What an utter cretin.

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s been said up there that if he’s impeached again he can’t run in 2024 so that might well be the ultimate aim. 

That's the way I see it, it's to stop him from holding any high office ever again.

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That's the way I see it, it's to stop him from holding any high office ever again.

To be banned from running again he would have to be impeached by the House, and for the Senate to vote to both remove him from office and ban him from running again.  But we already know that impeachment proceedings won't get that far, even in the unlikely event that there were 67 favourable votes in the Senate.

3 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Got to disagree here. If impeachment proceedings send a message to Trump and future would-be autocrats, it will be worth it. Congress can’t rely on the Justice Department coming down on Trump with criminal charges, and Biden shouldn’t - and I’m pretty sure wouldn’t - interfere with the Justice Department’s decisions in this regard.

What penny-ante tuppenny-ha'penny message does it send if the House vote to impeach (which it will, purely on political grounds) and the Senate either says no or doesn't try the case?

Kalamazoo Jambo
4 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

What penny-ante tuppenny-ha'penny message does it send if the House vote to impeach (which it will, purely on political grounds) and the Senate either says no or doesn't try the case?

The House will vote to impeach, but it won't be on 'purely political' grounds (at least in the sense of party politics).  If the Senate doesn't proceed it will be another stain on McConnell's record. If the Senate says no then shame on the Senate. At least we'll know each Senator's position.

And in America we don't deal with tuppenny-ha'penny messaging - we rely on common cents. I trust that clarifies matters.

50 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Remember this guy, he's Richard Barnett from Arkansas, well the FBI arrested him this morning and have charged him various offences.

Strangely he wasn't smiling in his police mugshot I wonder why.

https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2021/01/08/arkansas-man-arrested-after-seen-sitting-speaker-pelosis-office-nbc-reports/

image.jpeg.27826f0223ccc64e8c5176935cb93514.jpeg

👆 How it started 👆

👇 How it's going 👇 

4232963f.jpg

6 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

The House will vote to impeach, but it won't be on 'purely political' grounds (at least in the sense of party politics).  If the Senate doesn't proceed it will be another stain on McConnell's record. If the Senate says no then shame on the Senate. At least we'll know each Senator's position.

And in America we don't deal with tuppenny-ha'penny messaging - we rely on common cents. I trust that clarifies matters.

The House will vote to impeach because it is dominated by Democrats, not because of the existence of evidence of wrongdoing.

The Senate will not vote for the impeachment because it isn't sufficiently dominated by Democrats, not because of reasonable doubts about wrongdoing.

Alternatively, the Senate will not try the impeachment because it runs out of time.  Who can blame Mitch McConnell for that?  The voters of Kentucky won't.

Stains on records?  Reminds me of beer spills at student parties in the 1970s.  The only things the bollix Trump might fear are being cut off from Twitter or the inside of a prison cell.  Either try the guy or fail to try the guy.  The rest is just guff.

That's my, er, tuppence worth. :whistling:

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

If there is a more uneducated populace than that of the USA on earth, I've yet to hear of it.

When you see and hear them it’s frightening.

Pasquale for King
26 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

To be banned from running again he would have to be impeached by the House, and for the Senate to vote to both remove him from office and ban him from running again.  But we already know that impeachment proceedings won't get that far, even in the unlikely event that there were 67 favourable votes in the Senate.

Seems unlikely unfortunately. 

If Congress impeaches him under the 14th Amendment, he'll be banned from running again.

The Sentate just votes on what other punishment to mete out and if he should be removed from office.

This does require a 2/3 majority so it has little chance of happening.

John Gentleman
3 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Imagine my shock (and baws)

...been updated now:

The bloke's saying he's not against checks [sic] per se. And why would it be $2000? Heven't peeps already received $600?

Edited by John Gentleman
minor editorial

Kalamazoo Jambo
16 minutes ago, Cade said:

If Congress impeaches him under the 14th Amendment, he'll be banned from running again.

The Sentate just votes on what other punishment to mete out and if he should be removed from office.

It's the Senate that can disqualify Trump from holding office again, not the House. So impeachment itself doesn't mean he's banned from future office automatically. But in the Senate it's a simple majority needed for disqualification rather than the 2/3rds needed for conviction.

Kalamazoo Jambo
4 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

...been updated now:

The bloke's saying he's not against checks [sic] per se. And why would it be $2000? Heven't peeps already received $600?

I'm not sure it was poor journalism originally, or Manchin walking back his comments, but glad to hear it.

Most people (up to a certain income threshold) in the U.S. have already received or should soon receive $600, but that's a tiny amount in the great scheme of things. $2,000 is a more substantial amount for people trying to pay rent, bills and feed themselves - and would be a big help to the economy more generally. 

5 minutes ago, Cade said:

1 minute ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

It's the Senate that can disqualify Trump from holding office again, not the House. So impeachment itself doesn't mean he's banned from future office automatically. But in the Senate it's a simple majority needed for disqualification rather than the 2/3rds needed for conviction.

Unless I'm mistaken, there has only been one successful impeachment and trial which resulted in the permanent barring of someone from office.  However, the Senate made the decision that he would be barred from office, even though it was clear that he was in breach of the 14th Amendment.  See Humphreys (or was it Humphries), 1862. 

Unless the Senate both voted in favour of the House impeachment motion and in favour of a permanent ban on Trump holding office again, I think he'd be off to the Supreme Court.  And I don't think the outcome of a case would be as obvious as it looks just by reading the 14th Amendment.  See also Article 1, Section 3.

If you don't impeach then you are relying on the justice system catching up with him so as that he isn't allowed to stand again?

Can you take the risk on the justice system?

But the justice system may be able stop the dynasty, that impeachment doesn't?

3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Unless I'm mistaken, there has only been one successful impeachment and trial which resulted in the permanent barring of someone from office.  However, the Senate made the decision that he would be barred from office, even though it was clear that he was in breach of the 14th Amendment.  See Humphreys (or was it Humphries), 1862. 

Unless the Senate both voted in favour of the House impeachment motion and in favour of a permanent ban on Trump holding office again, I think he'd be off to the Supreme Court.  And I don't think the outcome of a case would be as obvious as it looks just by reading the 14th Amendment.  See also Article 1, Section 3.

Ah, I figured it out.  The guy did things that were in breach of the 14th, but it was before the 14th was ratified.  Oops.  :cheese:

Just now, Tazio said:

Looks like Twitter are throwing the trash out. All of Donnie’s tweets have vanished and looks like the account is suspended. 

It's permanent apparently.

Really should have given a few hours notice so we could go for him.

Facebook and Instagram still suspended.

He only has the nuke codes left.

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Looks like Twitter are throwing the trash out. All of Donnie’s tweets have vanished and looks like the account is suspended. 

It took them long enough.

Didn’t have the balls to do it a long time ago.

Pasquale for King

A "permanent suspension" seems bizarre as suspension implies a temporary aspect. Perhaps the suspension is actually for an indeterminate period, or I'm just not au fait with modern English usage.

Either way though... :thumb:

John Gentleman
10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

A "permanent suspension" seems bizarre as suspension implies a temporary aspect. Perhaps the suspension is actually for an indeterminate period, or I'm just not au fait with modern English usage.

Agree. It should be 'account deactivated'. Americans seem to enjoy mangling the language.

Guess he'll pop up on Parler now. 

17 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I think it is an amazing windup.  Still allowing him to sign on as it is only suspended,  but he can't post anything.

Genius!

It's worse than a ban.

5 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

I think it is an amazing windup.  Still allowing him to sign on as it is only suspended,  but he can't post anything.

Genius!

It's worse than a ban.

:D

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)