Dave McPherson and Hugh Burns

benny

i wish jj was my dad
2 minutes ago, superjack said:

At the same time as Derek Ferguson, I think.

No with big Davie in 87 I think.

I'm sure both Burns and McPherson signed at the same time (87?) And am almost 100% they both came from rangers. Derek Ferguson was a year or 2 later I think 

If I recall, the only way we were going to get McPherson in 1987 was if we took Burns as well. Souness wanted him out the door because of his issues. No Burns, no McPherson, simple. McDonald didn't want him but that was the deal. Also, Ferguson arrived in the summer of 1990, one of McDonald's last signings before Jordan arrived.

millerjames398

Read this earlier today, what was he on about with gary mckay in the players lounge?, or is this common knowledge among hearts fans and ive missed something ?

millerjames398

Sorry jumped the gun when i read the headline of burns and McPherson, i thought it was a link to the Sun story from earlier, not london hearts page, really need to read through shit properly ?

1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

No with big Davie in 87 I think.

Yes, they definitely arrived together in the summer of 87. Derek Ferguson was 1990 iirc

Cairneyhill Jambo
2 hours ago, jambonian said:

If I recall, the only way we were going to get McPherson in 1987 was if we took Burns as well. Souness wanted him out the door because of his issues. No Burns, no McPherson, simple. McDonald didn't want him but that was the deal. Also, Ferguson arrived in the summer of 1990, one of McDonald's last signings before Jordan arrived.

Thats how i remember it. And he was swiftly shown the door by Wallace Mercer due to his issues. 

queensferryjambo

I always thought Burns was pretty crap to be honest. Seems like he just didn't fit in with his team mates from day one and didn't really want to be at Hearts.

Burns did say that he couldn't get along with Mackay, fell out with Colquhoun and that Levein didn't like him and that Levein ran the show. Oddly enough as a more mature adult he now likes and respects Levein.

Burns was a bit mad was he not from memory. Don’t remember him being particularly popular with some for reasons I’d not go into but it’s obvious

Burns was a waste of space. Tree trunk legs, no mobility and, in the worst possible way, a true blue, loyalist feck wit.

What career he might have had he blew because it wouldn't be with the vile institution he adored. He said so himself shortly after when his career was around the U-bend. 

Having said that, if his signing was what it took to bring big Dave to the club then Burns' brief association with our club was worth it. 

1 minute ago, Wilson said:

Burns would be in my worst Hearts XI ever.

He wouldn't even be worthy of that, bud. 

I'd set Zico on him. 

15 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

Agree. I recall it as a £500k deal, £400k for disco and £100k for burns.

Alex McDonald then made it clear to Burns that whatever money had been paid was for Dave McPherson and that he (Burns) had cost us feck all.

You could see he had something, to be fair, but too much baggage getting in the way of the football.

Did not combine particularly well with JC on the right for some reason. 

13 hours ago, Gambo said:

Never heard of the Galloway story before.

15 hours ago, millerjames398 said:

Sorry jumped the gun when i read the headline of burns and McPherson, i thought it was a link to the Sun story from earlier, not london hearts page, really need to read through shit properly ?

is there links to the above, please

millerjames398
Just now, Tommy Brown said:

is there links to the above, please

I cant put links up sorry, but burns article was in the Sun yesterday, ??

I heard at the time that neither were very popular to begin with. They were strutting around thinking they were superstars. Hugh burns was mince. Mcpherson is a legend.

On 17/02/2019 at 16:56, jambonian said:

:spoton:

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 23:23, dannymack said:

Love thy neighbour

IMG_20190218_232239.jpg

Be the only time he went near Colquhoun. I remember he would rarely pass the ball to him and there was a bust-up between them in the changing room more than once. He left soon after, Dunfermline I think. Also remember a match at Ibrox where he played against them, "accidentally" slipped as (I think) Ian Durrant went on to score. He was lying on the grass with his hands up in the air as if cheering the goal. Never liked that wee shit from then on.

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 23:33, Jammy T said:

We signed McPherson twice did we not?

Yes. Signed for Rangers in 1983 then came to Hearts in 1987. Re-signed for Rangers in 1992 then re-signed for Hearts in a deal to take Alan McLaren to Rangers in 1994. Finished his career with us in 1999. I read his autobiography years ago "A tale of two Cities" Good read.