Answering a question with So.........

Serge

Whenever there's a twenty something on Pointless/Chase/Apprentice etc and they are asked a question about themselves, they always  start their answer with the word "So"

"Where are you from?"    So, I'm from......

"What do you do in your spare time?"   So, I like to.......

When did this become a thing?  Cause it gets oan ma tits!!!

Similar to starting sentences with "look" or "listen" or "d'you know what" or "d'you want to know something".  :facepalm:

been here before

Arseholes been coming out with ut for ages.

What ramps up the arseholery is the folk who poat on forums who begin their threads with it.

'So I bought some bread today which was good. Whats your favourite loaf?' That sort of pish. Theres a few on here do it.

49 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Hate seeing, commas when they, are not needed. Too.

;)

I wrote something else and changed it. I prefer also, as well.

Maroon Sailor

Same with the use of the word super replacing the word very

Super happy

Super chilled

Super cool

Super hard

I find it super annoying

The Mighty Thor

As soon as the person speaking starts with so you know you can comfortably switch off as what's following will be utter bollocks. 

10 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Super happy

Super chilled

Super cool

Super hard

I find it super annoying

Up there with...

“How are you today?”

“I’m good”

The worst is the starting with  ‘so ...’ combined with ending with the terminal rise.  I believe we can thank Australians for that.

It’s tiring listening to it because every phrase sounds like a question.

16 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Super happy

Super chilled

Super cool

Super hard

I find it super annoying

When our American friends get ill (or ‘sick’ as they call it), they are always ‘Super sick’.

I could feckin kill them.

6 hours ago, FWJ said:

Up there with...

“How are you today?”

“I’m good”

The worst is the starting with  ‘so ...’ combined with ending with the terminal rise.  I believe we can thank Australians for that.

It’s tiring listening to it because every phrase sounds like a question.

So much this. ?

My brain starts to frazzle as their inflection makes me think they're asking questions but they're not.:phface:

As for "so", in my experience , it was a middle class/student affectation to begin with and now it's a plague. 

The affectation which bothers me most recently is people, bloody youngsters mostly, who start a sentence in a normal tone of voice but end up barely intelligible. 

Rather than gather pace they slow down and get gravelly towards the end, to the extent it sounds like they are creaking rather than talking.

Think it's replacing the 'um' or the 'erm' with some folk, gives them time to think. With some others it's clearly an affectation. 

been here before
3 hours ago, Smack said:

The affectation which bothers me most recently is people, bloody youngsters mostly, who start a sentence in a normal tone of voice but end up barely intelligible. 

Rather than gather pace they slow down and get gravelly towards the end, to the extent it sounds like they are creaking rather than talking.

That there thing is known as vocal fry. Its been 'fashionable' for a good few years and is used by weapons grade arseholes.

Give it a google.

Maroon Sailor

Saying eh at the end of every sentence

So I went fir a pint efter work eh.

I goat the bus hame eh. 

Had a fish supper eh

33 minutes ago, been here before said:

That there thing is known as vocal fry. Its been 'fashionable' for a good few years and is used by weapons grade arseholes.

Give it a google.

Googled it. My my. My oh my. Had no idea it was so popular. Aaaaaaahhhhh weeeeeellllll. 

As you say, weapon grade arseholes, but on a maaaaaaaasssssiiiivvvve ssssccccaaaaale. 

I sometimes use so. Usually after I've been provided with a lot of information, like a status update or such like and I'll say 'so, in light of this and that, what is our plan of action going to be?'

In my head it's just a summing up intro and a some time to think about what my response is going to be.