DSLR cameras

milky_26

i'm thinking about getting into photography and getting an entry level DSLR. 

Any recommendations?

Nikon or Canon?

any advice?

Both produce very good camera's with good lens's

I have a nikon but it depends on what you want it to do and how the camera feels in your hands

Nikon = Hearts

Canon = Hibs

Nikon makes cameras and Lenses

Canon make printers and Photocopiers

To be honest it varies from camera to camera. I do know that the Nikon entry level cameras are great for learning on, with good displays.

In reality it will make little difference. As David Bailey said, "It's not the camera that takes the picture it's the person".

cheers guys i have been looking at the nikon d3400 as it has been replaced by the d3500 and is at the bottom end of the price range

Have a play around with them in the shops. I went out with the intention of buying a Nikon and came home with Canon.

Something to ponder and it may be different now (but I doubt it). When I was buying ten years ago or so I was told that the motor for running autofocus was in the lens for the Canon but runs from the body in the Nikon.

The entry level Canons also use cropped lenses (EFS) which will have compatibly issues if you upgrade to a better camera with a full sensor. EF lenses should work with both though.

There may be a similar issue with Nikon but I really wouldn't know.

1 hour ago, H2 said:

Nikon = Hearts

Canon = Hibs

To be honest it varies from camera to camera. I do know that the Nikon entry level cameras are great for learning on, with good displays.

In reality it will make little difference. As David Bailey said, "It's not the camera that takes the picture it's the person".

You don't seem to realise that Nikon make printers and scanners and other things as well. 

Commercial/Pharma/Industrial rather than 'domestic', but they don't just make cameras and lenses. 

I agree a lot of it is down to individual choice and what the end user wants from the camera though, rather than one brand over another. 

7 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Above all, learn how to use it. No point in them if you're just going to have it on auto all the time.

This.

Do not buy a decent camera if you're going to have it set on auto every time.

17 hours ago, milky_26 said:

Your wife?

She into a bit photography? 

Nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean.

The lens is often more important than the camera.

I got one of those bridge cameras that are meant to be a cross between a compact digital camera and a DSLR. Problem is the lens wasn't interchangeable and it relies heavily on digital zoom rather than optical. 

Binned within a month. Utter shite.

Went and bought a proper canon DSLR. Was pretty happy with it. Spent a few hundred quid on a couple of decent lenses but nothing outrageous, they can set you back thousands, now the best thing I've ever owned. Completely changes the game once you get the right equipment to go with it.

21 hours ago, SUTOL said:

You don't seem to realise that Nikon make printers and scanners and other things as well. 

Commercial/Pharma/Industrial rather than 'domestic', but they don't just make cameras and lenses. 

I agree a lot of it is down to individual choice and what the end user wants from the camera though, rather than one brand over another. 

They make spectacle lenses (  I have a pair :-) ), microscopes and numerous other things, it was an attempt a humour, obvioulsy a bad one!

On 19/01/2019 at 14:06, H2 said:

Nikon = Hearts

Canon = Hibs

Yes. Thats why you see sports photographers using big white lenses all over the world. 

40 minutes ago, scottishguy said:

Yes. Thats why you see sports photographers using big white lenses all over the world. 

It's humour buddy, are they the beginners ?

6 hours ago, H2 said:

They make spectacle lenses (  I have a pair ? ), microscopes and numerous other things, it was an attempt a humour, obvioulsy a bad one!

:Stupid_Heads_by_Vir

:thumbs_up:

Very coincidental.

ive just googled looking for the same.

i do a lot of driving across Scotland and lucky to see some amazing scenery but would like a decent camera to capture it

7 hours ago, Bauld said:

The lens is often more important than the camera.

I got one of those bridge cameras that are meant to be a cross between a compact digital camera and a DSLR. Problem is the lens wasn't interchangeable and it relies heavily on digital zoom rather than optical. 

Binned within a month. Utter shite.

Went and bought a proper canon DSLR. Was pretty happy with it. Spent a few hundred quid on a couple of decent lenses but nothing outrageous, they can set you back thousands, now the best thing I've ever owned. Completely changes the game once you get the right equipment to go with it.

Some bridge cameras are great, if you want something smaller with the versitility. The Nikon B600 for example has an equivelant 24 to 1440mm lens (all optical), which is really quite an amazing range. You'd need quite a few interchangable lenses to achieve that range. I accept full frame lenses are superior, but depending on your budget and what you want to do, it is an option. I suspect if you gave David Bailey the Brdge, he'd still produce better result than me with a DSLR.

But havign said all that I agree with your statement "Completely changes the game once you get the right equipment to go with it."

Ive been looking at thsi for a while now and having used Nikon all my time, i was looking at a Nikon D7100 which i could get here in Oz for around $500 body only.

I've also seen a D7200 which the guy will sell for $700 but it has been bashed against a rock and the sd casing mount has a bit broken off it, still waiting to hear back if it affects the weather sealing or not. To me its an absoloute bargain.

Carl Fredrickson

I cant give advise on what to get but I can say that about 6 years ago I asked the same question on KB. Had a Kodak bridge camera (it was a gift) and wanted to move onto DSLR. 

I enjoyed taking snaps but also scenic photos and buildings or unusual sites. From a young age I have been interested in looking at and taking images. 

The best advise I received was to got a shop and handle the camera. I had decided on either a specific Nikon or Canon and on paper preferred the Canon. However once handled, the Nikon felt much better. Cant put in to words the difference but it just felt better. The Canon felt more awkward but to others it might not have. 

Once bought, the quality of photos improved dramatically. I am no expert on photography by any means but took some time to try different settings ect and it made a difference too.

The camera s still going strong - havent upgraded yet thought it is bigger and heavier (like its uers) than modern modles. 

Edited by Carl Fredrickson

15 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I cant give advise on what to get but I can say that about 6 years ago I asked the same question on KB. Had a Kodak bridge camera (it was a gift) and wanted to move onto DSLR. 

I enjoyed taking snaps but also scenic photos and buildings or unusual sites. From a young age I have been interested in looking at and taking images. 

The best advise I received was to got a shop and handle the camera. I had decided on either a specific Nikon or Canon and on paper preferred the Canon. However once handled, the Nikon felt much better. Cant put in to words the difference but it just felt better. The Canon felt more awkward but to others it might not have. 

Once bought, the quality of photos improved dramatically. I am no expert on photography by any means but took some time to try different settings ect and it made a difference too.

The camera s still going strong - havent upgraded yet thought it is bigger and heavier (like its uers) than modern modles. 

I have to admit that I'm still using my Nikon D40 bought in 2006.  

The Natural Order

I started on an entry level Nikon but have only used Canon for DSLRs I've had since.

I found  the Nikon was an easier camera to use and more forgiving when you didn't quite get it set up right (helpful when your learning from scratch). The Canons I've had seemed a little more complex and you really have to get your settings spot on. You take either great photos or rubbish photos with Canon in my experience, there's no "ok" photos.

But as other's have have said, go to the shops and handle them and see what you like best. Also I'd spend a bit less on the body and more on the lenses. The difference between a Canon kit lens and a L  Series lens is amazing.

Edited by The Natural Order

Thunderstruck
49 minutes ago, The Natural Order said:

I started on an entry level Nikon but have only used Canon for DSLRs I've had since.

I found  the Nikon was an easier camera to use and more forgiving when you didn't quite get it set up right (helpful when your learning from scratch). The Canons I've had seemed a little more complex and you really have to get your settings spot on. You take either great photos or rubbish photos with Canon in my experience, there's no "ok" photos.

But as other's have have said, go to the shops and handle them and see what you like best. Also I'd spend a bit less on the body and more on the lenses. The difference between a Canon kit lens and a L  Series lens is amazing.

Agree with the advice on lenses.

Most DSLR cameras are sold as kits which usually include a zoom lens in something like the 28-80mm range. They will not be particularly bright (size of widest f-stop) and will compromise on sharpness to facilitate the zoom facility.

These lenses will be absolutely fine for general use and will return very good results but, when put alongside a, for example, fixed-focus standard lens with a larger aperture, you will definitely see the difference. 

For Nikon, Ken Rockwell produces a useful review of the range of lenses. He does say to buy FX (full frame) lenses as they work perfectly well on a DX camera (he explains why). 

https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/10-best.htm

The Continental Op
On 19/01/2019 at 13:13, milky_26 said:

Any recommendations?

Nikon or Canon?

any advice?

In my opinion, Canon have the easier (easiest?) menu system to work through and feel more comfortable in the hand.

Having said that, I was still learning new thing about my DSLR after owning it for three years.

Go into a camera shop like WEX and ask to try different makes like Canon, Nikon, Sony or whatever. Ask to try different lenses with all the camera's and see what feels right for you.

Different makes focus differently, some clockwise and some anti-clockwise. Try going through the menus and find out whats suits you.

Whatever you decide to buy, have fun learning photography and enjoy wanting to buy better and more expensive lenses than you can probably afford???

Edited by scottishguy

On 21/01/2019 at 10:24, hmfc_liam06 said:

I know someone selling a Canon 450D and a load of other kit for £250.

This is the camera I have. Sounds like a good deal... maybe great deal depending on the kit