Freddie Glidden RIP

Meadows

RIP. 

What an outstanding player he obviously was -& achieved more for Hearts than I could even dream about. 

Sorry to hear of his passing, but it’s lovely

to hear others tributes about him. 

Club legend, and would like to think we will

be honouring his memory in a permanent way.  

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Macros

• dannymack

• Maple Leaf

• jambovambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just sharing a story from the Blackburn Utd website

Sad to hear of the passing of former Hearts great Freddie Glidden. Freddie grew up in the area and played in the all-conquering Murrayfield Rovers Juvenile side in season 1945-46, winning all cups entered. They played at old Murrayfield Park where the bowling club now sits. He joined Hearts and became captain on the famous 1950's side, lifting the Scottish Cup in 1956 when the bus carrying the victorious team from Hampden came through Blackburn so Freddie could show the cup to his parents as they drove past. RIP Freddie.

On 02/01/2019 at 16:58, dannymack said:

A friend of mines, who's Father was in the same care home as Freddie often saw him when visiting, his memory was gone but my friend got the chance to show Freddie this picture, his reaction was a simple facial expression change, nothing more nothing less but enough to realise he knew exactly what it was all about.

IMG_20190102_155330.jpg

Legend.

Rest in peace.

Glamorgan Jambo

Really sad news as I figure that's the last of that cup winning team gone now. 

Thoughts to the family. I met his son Andy a few times through a mutual friend from Broxburn who also is sadly no longer with us (our friend not Andy who last time I noticed had a thriving business on George Street). Was and is rightly extremely proud of his dad. 

One of his regular Saturday golfing four was Jim Leighton, NOT that Jim Leighton ! Both total gentlemen, and  I still see "Jimmy the jeweller" fairly regularly.

132goals1958
14 hours ago, Jambothump said:

One of his regular Saturday golfing four was Jim Leighton, NOT that Jim Leighton ! Both total gentlemen, and  I still see "Jimmy the jeweller" fairly regularly.

A lovely man is Jimmy who I would pertinently describe as convivial.

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Minute's silence on Sunday and big feature in the programme

IMG_20190114_185452.jpg

Quite right. Proper thing to do.

Service is on Thursday at 3pm at Broxburn Parish Church, opposite the swimming pool on Main Street Broxburn, private family only service at the Crematorium afterwards 

Well attended service this afternoon,  Andy Prime spoke very well and John Robertson also gave a very moving eulogy. Rest in peace Freddie, always in our hearts. 

queensferryjambo
On 14/01/2019 at 18:55, Mikey1874 said:

IMG_20190114_185452.jpg

Glad the club are doing something for Feddie and for the Hearts fans to remember him. 

I've just learned of a band called Maroon 5.  Freddie's jersey number was, of course, number 5, so I immediately thought of him.  I very much doubt if he would appreciate the music.  :biggrin:

Was in the club shop today and got a copy of the programme, oops sorry, the matchday  magazine.

I urge everyone to purchase a copy as this issue has a tremendous tribute to 'Captain Marvel 56'  with extended coverage of his life at Heart of Midlothian with a variety of images showing the great man on and off the field.

On 14/01/2019 at 18:55, Mikey1874 said:

IMG_20190114_185452.jpg

Nice one.  Defo  buying the programme today then. A finer gentleman you couldn’t meet. Total legend. RIP