Freddie Glidden RIP

Meadows

Our 1954 & 1956 cup winning captain sadly passed away earlier today . Aged 91 , Freddie was a colussus in our defence , with a team of fantastic players around him he more than held his own . The last of our ‘56 legends, he will be sadly missed around Broxburn and Gorgie . 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Macros

• dannymack

• Maple Leaf

• jambovambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Harry Potter
10 minutes ago, Meadows said:

Our 1954 & 1956 cup winning captain sadly passed away earlier today . Aged 91 , Freddie was a colussus in our defence , with a team of fantastic players around him he more than held his own . The last of our ‘56 legends, he will be sadly missed around Broxburn and Gorgie . 

RIP Freddie.

been here before
Bridge of Djoum

i had the pleasure and honor of meeting Mr Glidden and Dave Mackay on McLeod Street after the 98 cup win. Both gents took the time to chat and shake hands, albeit briefly.

Incredibly sad news. A true legend of our club. 

Was fortunate enough to have met him. Really nice man who would take time to talk to supporters.

RIP Freddie. 

John Findlay

Very sad news indeed. One of the unsung heroes. As many have commented a gentleman. That's some Hearts team upstairs now. RIP Freddie.

Met him on the street in Broxburn one sunday afternoon. Stood and talked to him for a few minutes. Lovely man. Very sad news. RIP Freddie, a true Hearts legend. ?

Met him and Dave MacKay at a function for Freddie at Craigmillar Hearts in the early 2000s. Both of them gentlemen. I was in mid 20s but still felt like a daft wee laddie going up to these men and asking for an autograph. Condolences to his family. 

Sad to hear the news. Freddie was a lovely chap as is his wife Rosa and their children. The last of the '56 team now passed, rest in peace Freddie 

End of an era. Spoke to him a few times in the Gorgie Suite when he attended there. Always loved to talk about Hearts and the old days. 

RIP

One of our true greats who will be sadly missed. RIP Freddie. 

PS Freddie was paid £66 for winning the Scottish Cup in '56 which equates to

£1152 today. 

Wonder what a present day player would be paid for that achievement? Maybe a bit more than £1152?

Edited by JohnB

Lord Beni of Gorgie

His daughter was a nurse in Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.  Was a credit to her dad. Very happy to tell me her dad had captained the side to win the cup.

Thoughts with them all

loveofthegame

Captain of the league cup winning side my Grandad played in in 1954. I think he was the last surviving member of that team, which makes me incredibly sad.

Hope to see them all “behind the goals” one day...

RIP Freddie.

1 hour ago, JohnB said:

One of our true greats who will be sadly missed. RIP Freddie. 

PS Freddie was paid £66 for winning the Scottish Cup in '56 which equates to

£1152 today. 

Wonder what a present day player would be paid for that achievement? Maybe a bit more than £1152?

I briefly worked with his aforementioned wife, Rosa, when I temped at Companies House in 1990. I was in awe of her, never mind her husband!

There was no need though as she was a lovely woman. Never had the pleasure of meeting our legendary skipper and I’ve no idea if Rosa is still with us, but if she is, my thoughts with her and the family. Get what you’re saying re football and it’s rewards these days. Can you imagine a modern day WAG having to work until pension age?

RIP, Mr Glidden

A friend of mines, who's Father was in the same care home as Freddie often saw him when visiting, his memory was gone but my friend got the chance to show Freddie this picture, his reaction was a simple facial expression change, nothing more nothing less but enough to realise he knew exactly what it was all about.

IMG_20190102_155330.jpg