Colin Doyle

DVB

Doyle needs games to improve his confidence and communication with those in front of him.
We're at a good SPL level of keeper, perhaps similar to a few years ago where we had Kello and Balogh. Two good keepers occasionally prone to a flap.

Jon McLaughlin was not perfect either remember at the start of his tenure.

Oh for a Niemi...was back at Tynecastle the other day aswell :sob:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• indianajones

• rudi must stay

• Mikey1874

• feedthefox

On 29/12/2018 at 20:16, heartsfc_fan said:

Apart from his fumble on the 92nd minute, he did very well.

Least he never tried to punch it, too much of that now when catching would be the better option.

13 hours ago, feedthefox said:

Maybe just maybe last night will be the making of him, I’m still not convinced by his handling and catching style but one thing can’t be taken away he will always have a special little place in our hearts for THAT save. 

Agreed.  Had me flapping in injury time too but think he done enough in game to hold the jersey after winter break. HHGH. FTH 

I think Doyle and Bobby are similar.

Both look decent when they've got a good defence in front of them, but if the defence caves in they'll look dodgy.

First cross that came into the box he took it clean as you like....safe hands, rather have a clean catch than a slap or attempted punch on the ball....was impressed after hearing some of the scare stories on here about him....

• 3 weeks later...

He is a big unit and has made some great saves since he got his chance (especialy the fingertips save from Whitaker at easter road) but today he didnt deal well with cross balls. He looked nervous and when he did come and make a connection he never got any distance on the ball. He looks a great shot stopper and a clean sheet is all you can ask from your keeper i just think for such a big unit he should command his box more from cross balls.

22 minutes ago, jambo3tevie said:

He is a big unit and has made some great saves since he got his chance (especialy the fingertips save from Whitaker at easter road) but today he didnt deal well with cross balls. He looked nervous and when he did come and make a connection he never got any distance on the ball. He looks a great shot stopper and a clean sheet is all you can ask from your keeper i just think for such a big unit he should command his box more from cross balls.

Agreed, terrible with cross balls a real worry. 

Shot-stopping = solid

Urgency/use of the ball = poor

Commanding the area/cross balls = terrible

Kicking = poor

Not sold on him so far, would prefer Bobby back in (and I reckon the back 4 would too).

2 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Same. But then they both do.

I like the Livi keeper though.

no clean sheet today though , ho ho ho.

Is that 3 clean sheets in row? Hard as it is to be negative he looks v uneasy and there was one occasion when a fairly innoccuious pass which travelled all the way into the box ended up being hacked out for a corner as he wouldn't leave his 6 yard box and come and claim it. Berra gave him pelters and luckily the corner came to nothing, I'm not sold at the moment. 

Given the size of him you expect far better when dealing with cross balls. 

Doesn't command penalty area to same extent as Zlamal either 

Reality in my eyes is we've got 2 very very average goalkeepers 

Have to say that Colin is giving me the fear too. I think he will be a good keeper but at the moment he is tentative, doesn't command his box,  I think he's a poor second to Bobby Zlamal, at the moment. I was shocked to see how much verbal he got from Cristophe. Remember. a good goalkeeper should command his box. Currently Colin Doyle doesn't. But  think he could be a good keeper eventually. Bobby is our best option.

1 minute ago, whodanny said:

Have to say that Colin is giving me the fear too. I think he will be a good keeper but at the moment he is tentative, doesn't command his box,  I think he's a poor second to Bobby Zlamal, at the moment. I was shocked to see how much verbal he got from Cristophe. Remember. a good goalkeeper should command his box. Currently Colin Doyle doesn't. But  think he could be a good keeper eventually. Bobby is our best option.

Much of the verbal from CB was down to latter being in pain and tetchy with it 

Geoff the Mince

He's got his faults but are folk forgetting Bobby;s howlers ?

The reality is neither is of the required standard .

11 minutes ago, Jim Weir said:

Much of the verbal from CB was down to latter being in pain and tetchy with it 

Aye, I think your'e right, CB is not himself, he played his nuts oot but it was desperate stuff at times. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
13 minutes ago, Geoff the Mince said:

This 

1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

Same. But then they both do.

I like the Livi keeper though.

Yeah I really rate the Livi keeper.

I also sense that the players have a lot more faith in Zlamal than Doyle. Berra certainly had a couple words with Colin today, as well.

Luscious Laryea

He's just had three clean sheets - I don't see any urgent reason to drop him for an error-prone Bobby.

Doyle doesn't convince with crosses but his kicking really isn't as poor as interpreted by our support. Very solid shot stopper and he doesn't fill me with nearly as much fear as Bobby.

Bobby does the hard stuff brilliantly and the easy stuff woefully. Stick with Doyle I say.

Hard to judge a keeper on so few games. I don’t like the way he spills the ball in front of himself though, reminds me of the terror Jamie MacDonald used to evoke in me. Hopefully just needs a run of games to show what he can do.

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, saxondale said:

Yeah I really rate the Livi keeper.

I also sense that the players have a lot more faith in Zlamal than Doyle. Berra certainly had a couple words with Colin today, as well.

Berra has words for everyone. We still look pretty solid, I didn't see Livi scoring today

7 hours ago, feedthefox said:

Is that 3 clean sheets in row? Hard as it is to be negative he looks v uneasy and there was one occasion when a fairly innoccuious pass which travelled all the way into the box ended up being hacked out for a corner as he wouldn't leave his 6 yard box and come and claim it. Berra gave him pelters and luckily the corner came to nothing, I'm not sold at the moment. 

He should have came out and claimed that ball but Berra could have put it out for a throw in, it didn’t need to be a corner.

Special Agent Dale Cooper
11 hours ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Shot-stopping = solid

Urgency/use of the ball = poor

Commanding the area/cross balls = terrible

Kicking = poor

Not sold on him so far, would prefer Bobby back in (and I reckon the back 4 would too).

Bang on. Really struggled with the high ball. Seems to be a recurring theme. 

He’s come for crosses in every game he’s played and taken one perhaps. Hardly big Gilles, he used to pluck them out of the air. 

Seems a solid shot stopper though. 

Kickings a bit meh but these guys started their careers before this sweeper keeper malarkey became fashionable and keepers didn’t necessarily have to be great at passing the ball. 

chester copperpot

I cannae make up my mind about Doyle.

Seems quite shaky at times but both our keepers can shot stop that's for sure.

Think I would prefer a new keeper tho If I'm honest!

6 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Hard to judge a keeper on so few games. I don’t like the way he spills the ball in front of himself though, reminds me of the terror Jamie MacDonald used to evoke in me. Hopefully just needs a run of games to show what he can do.

I’d rather have Jamie MacDonald than either of our current keepers tbh

He flapped at everything yesterday. For a giant of a guy he's not got much strength when crowded.

I think I prefer Zlamal, but I do think a new keeper is something we should look at in the summer.

10 hours ago, Geoff the Mince said:

I’d be quite keen to be reminded of all these Zlamal howlers.  It’s a myth.  He had a poor game against Livi, but that aside he done a hell of a lot more than good (some match saving interventions may I add),

They are nowhere near as good as what we have been blessed with previously we usually have a solid keeper as far back as I can remember. 

Defo think we need to look at a new one for the summer. 

23 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Cup winner, so I won’t get stuck in too much. He gave me palpitations though. The way he would parry the ball back to attackers was terrifying.

5 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I’d be quite keen to be reminded of all these Zlamal howlers.  It’s a myth.  He had a poor game against Livi, but that aside he done a hell of a lot more than good (some match saving interventions may I add),

Celtic semi final

25 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Cup winner, so I won’t get stuck in too much. He gave me palpitations though. The way he would parry the ball back to attackers was terrifying.

Zlmal started well enough but became error prone. The penalty he gave away at Livingston coming for a cross ball. Have we all wiped that from memory. Doyle deserves the jersey until he does something to lose it. It is how it worked with Bobby 

Realistically there is not alot between either keeper and maybe next season we will see a change then.

13 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Absolutely.

Doyle gives me the fear i have to admit when he comes for a cross.

We have been spoiled in previous years with excellent goalies so naturally our expectations are high.

Fozzyonthefence
33 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Livi as you say, semi at Murrayfield, Killie goal at Tynie was poor, 3rd goal at Ibrox where he fumbled a header.  There’s 4 right off the top of my head.  I have no confidence in Doyle either though,  looks horrendous on cross balls.