A Homeless Winter

Beast Boy

Re the charitable "thing"

I think it important to highlight the importance of awareness- and in that regard the sleep in the park is good, as are the messages around this time/

I'm OK with the social media stuff too!

Anything that raises awareness of the plight of desperate people is a good thing.

It was just such a thing that has got my 14 year old fundraising every week for a childrens hospice, though he is less than impressed that his weekly bag packing now has to be done in elf costume

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Beast Boy

• doctor jambo

• Seymour M Hersh

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, jake said:

Then you would realise addiction is not a lifestyle choice.

Eh? It is 100% a lifestyle choice.

I choose to drink, I chose this path - not one other human being or organisation is at fault or in control of this. Just me.

47 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Amen, Karl, Amen

The fact the "left" have moved to NOT represent the workers, but to represent those who don't- at the expense of those who do, is why we are in the Corbyn predicament.

I am sure those on low wage doing the "right thing" - working, providing and busting their guts out- are equally peaved at those who don't contribute.

I'd respectfully disagree with you that the "left" have moved to not represent the workers.  Personally, I think they wish to represent everyone so that the many benefit, not the few (to paraphrase Labour's battle-cry).

I think we should also qualify what not contributing is.  If someone is relying on benefits it doesn't mean they are scroungers or spongers.  Yes, that sort exist, in so many different ways, but stigmitisation of those less fortunate is a narrative that has been driven for the last 40 years, so much it has been ingrained as truth, imo.

Just now, i8hibsh said:

I choose to drink, I chose this path - not one other human being or organisation is at fault or in control of this. Just me.

Like I said try to learn a bit more.

3 minutes ago, jake said:

Like I said try to learn a bit more.

This is the problem with the left, everyone is to blame for everything except the actual individual.  We are all empowered but yet people sit wanting their nappy changed every second of everyday.  

Who is to blame for someone voluntarily injecting themselves with heroin? **** me I see enough money come out my salary that provides alternatives for it.

chuck berrys hairline

Seems to be a band of Roman gypsy beggers around Livingston centre. Maybe hide your Barbour coat hen and I wouldn't laugh at you ?

Edited by chuck berrys hairline

I find it hard to resolve the well-meaning plea for fairness and equality on hand...and on the other hand, the celebration that 8000 of us donate money each month to a company that routinely pays its staff 6-figure salaries. There are better places we can send that money to than Aaron Hughes' Ferrari Fund.

The priorities in this world are somewhat skewed.

23 minutes ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

Seems to be a band of Roman gypsy beggers around Livingston centre. Maybe hide your Barbour coat hen and I wouldn't laugh at you ?

She stole that fair and square!

57 minutes ago, Rousset1 said:

Guy opens thread trolling for opinions.

Gets opinions he doesn't like.

Guy gets all hot and bothered.

Guy opens his house to homeless people in general.

Guy wakes up the next morning to find house wrecked and all saleable goods stolen.

Not quite. I didn’t open my house to him, but I bought him a hot meal, sat him up and out of the puddle, gave him a fiver, my jacket and a clean towel from my bag. Didn’t get robbed either... it’s almost as if he actually wasn’t a criminal at all.

3 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Not quite. I didn’t open my house to him, but I bought him a hot meal, sat him up and out of the puddle, gave him a fiver, my jacket and a clean towel from my bag. Didn’t get robbed either... it’s almost as if he actually wasn’t a criminal at all.

virtue signallingnoun [ U ] 
uk us virtue signaling UK  /ˈvɜː.tʃuː ˌsɪɡ.nəl.ɪŋ/US/ˈvɝː.tʃuː ˌsɪɡ.nəl.ɪŋ/

See above post.

Edited by i8hibsh

1 hour ago, Rousset1 said:

Guy opens thread trolling for opinions.

Gets opinions he doesn't like.

Guy gets all hot and bothered.

Guy opens his house to homeless people in general.

Guy wakes up the next morning to find house wrecked and all saleable goods stolen.

Pretty much spot on :laugh4:

10 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

virtue signallingnoun [ U ] 
uk us virtue signaling UK  /ˈvɜː.tʃuː ˌsɪɡ.nəl.ɪŋ/US/ˈvɝː.tʃuː ˌsɪɡ.nəl.ɪŋ/

See above post.

*sigh*

I hope your alcoholism never forces you on to the street I8, it would be a shame to see your prejudices take you down with such irony.

4 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

*sigh*

I hope your alcoholism never forces you on to the street I8, it would be a shame to see your prejudices take you down with such irony.

Why feel the need to tell a whole bunch of strangers how nice a guy you are and all the good things you do?  This really is what the world has become since the social media age.  People competing to see who has the most virtues.  We all do nice things everyday (even bad people) but I like to think we do it as a selfless act.  The second you tell someone about it, you are getting something from it and it is no longer a selfless act.  People putting money in a charity tin then walking around all day with a sticker on their lapel telling the world they donated to charity – give me a break.

Yes I have prejudices, who doesn’t?  I don’t have much time for beggars (which imo most on our streets are), this does not mean I lack compassion, how am I the bad guy? I am not the one defrauding the public.  I work my bollocks off day in day out, why should someone like Darryl sit and scrounge all day playing with people’s heart strings. Over 20k cash that sack of shit got – for nothing just because some woman wanted to look good to her facebook pals and show the world she was compassionate.

If you trust them all on the streets and they are all genuine, take a few in Glib but please don’t tell all the strangers on planet social media you are doing so – it is pathetic.

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

Why feel the need to tell a whole bunch of strangers how nice a guy you are and all the good things you do?  This really is what the world has become since the social media age.  People competing to see who has the most virtues.  We all do nice things everyday (even bad people) but I like to think we do it as a selfless act.  The second you tell someone about it, you are getting something from it and it is no longer a selfless act.  People putting money in a charity tin then walking around all day with a sticker on their lapel telling the world they donated to charity – give me a break.

Don’t tell that to the poppy police. 

Just now, davemclaren said:

Don’t tell that to the poppy police. 

I kinda like the Poppy thing as to me that is not advertising one's own virtues but paying respect to other people's virtues who are now departed.

Just now, i8hibsh said:

I kinda like the Poppy thing as to me that is not advertising one's own virtues but paying respect to other people's virtues who are now departed.

Thought that might trip you up...virtue signaller. ??

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

That's utter bollox. You have no clue what addiction is. A bevy merchant isn't a borderline alcoholic. For once stfu. 

3 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Yes I have prejudices, who doesn’t?  I don’t have much time for beggars (which imo most on our streets are), this does not mean I lack compassion, how am I the bad guy? I am not the one defrauding the public.  I work my bollocks off day in day out, why should someone like Darryl sit and scrounge all day playing with people’s heart strings. Over 20k cash that sack of shit got – for nothing just because some woman wanted to look good to her facebook pals and show the world she was compassionate.

If you trust them all on the streets and they are all genuine, take a few in Glib but please don’t tell all the strangers on planet social media you are doing so – it is pathetic.

The right wing literally kill these people off. People die because of that attitude. It’s apalling for a country with our wealth potential. The lack of compassion and empathy for those less fortunate is disgusting in this country under this government. 

8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Thought that might trip you up...virtue signaller. ??

:lol: Nice attempt at wriggling out of that one, but you got 'em Dave.

Similar in the US: They'll decry "political correctness" all day long. But holy shit, the wrath you'll incur if you dare step on the toes of their "patriotic correctness"! :rofl:

3 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

The right wing literally kill these people off. People die because of that attitude. It’s apalling for a country with our wealth potential. The lack of compassion and empathy for those less fortunate is disgusting in this country under this government. 

Correct. The right wing media and government demonise people. 

Seymour M Hersh
16 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

This should be on the Tories thread. 

5th richest country my arse!

Country with the 5th most Millionaires & Billionaires and tae feck with everyone else!

Being homeless & hungry should be against your human rights IMO and countries like the United shite house should be legally held to account!

Feck all to do with the loopers imaginary friend or Xmas!

As usual you get your facts wrong. UK is the fifth largest economy in the world not the fifth richest.

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Its a disgrace that we have people lying in puddles in the street in December in a developed country.

Tbf there are a lot of office parties this time of year and people do get a bit carried away on the sauce. ::troll::

3 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Tbf there are a lot of office parties this time of year and people do get a bit carried away on the sauce. ::troll::

A fair point even if it was in jest. People do actually die from exposure after Christmas nights out in quite surprising numbers. December and January is like a purge compared to other months of the year with deaths rising by ten percent. 

16 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Oh for goodness sake.  How morally superior can one person think they and an entire ideology think they are.

You do not care more!

Just now, i8hibsh said:

Oh for goodness sake.  How morally superior can one person think they and an entire ideology think they are.

You do not care more!

A system of government that provides for the most vulnerable members of society does care more than one which does not. It doesn’t matter how big a font you use, that’s just the way it is I’m afraid. 

1 minute ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

A system of government that provides for the most vulnerable members of society does care more than one which does not. It doesn’t matter how big a font you use, that’s just the way it is I’m afraid. 

You are literally being consumed by propaganda.  Do you even possess one original thought?  What you are saying is complete and utter drivel.

32 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

As usual you get your facts wrong. UK is the fifth largest economy in the world not the fifth richest.

Goes hand in hand. As does self interested wealthy gitz. 

25 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

You are literally being consumed by propaganda.  Do you even possess one original thought?  What you are saying is complete and utter drivel.

It is you who is consumed by propaganda, convincing yourself that you are not voting for something that makes you poorer, whilst blaming others.

12 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Somewhere in the middle. Some people undoubtedly  take the piss and make life decisions that place the ‘burden ‘ on others.

Others through no fault their own find themselves reliant on others.

I’ve been in a situation where I’ve needed the understanding and help of others. Thankfully other folks have stepped up to got me through those dark times to where I am now.

Where am I now? I’ll do what I can financially and time wise to help others.

Fecking well hate Xmas. We got a football a satsuma and a shilling when I was a kid.

Started hating Xmas 3 years ago when I found my new 13 year old comparing Xmas pressies with her pals on social media.

it was most definitely a case of trying to outdo each other 

This year, give her a football, a satsuma, and a 5 pence piece. Tough love: she'll thank you for it in the long-run...   

:davebp:

N Lincs Jambo
4 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

they do!

However some folks are just "unhousable"

Unfortunately you are correct.

However this does not mean that they will always be unhousable. I'm a private sector landlord and around 10 years ago I worked a lot with the local authority to help house "vulnerable adults" (this is in England btw). The local authority would be up front about these people's vulnerabilities and would reiterate the support programmes which were supposed to be in place.

The reality was that it was a "tick box exercise" from start to finish with the support programmes beng non-existant, and I was left having to deal with the consequences. I had to pull the plug on any further co-operation.

I am now working with an organisation locally which has nothing to do with the local authority and does actually give a shit about the homeless. The guy who started it (a good friend of mine) was on the streets himself 5 years ago and is still technically homeless now (he sleeps in his van). He accepts he can't help everyone but works closely with those he can helps so that by the time he speaks to me, he has helped that person deal with the issues which brought them to rock bottom and is helping them back into society. He won't ask me for help in housing a person if he's not sure they are able to cope, ie he won't rush them into housing too early and set them up to fail.

They also get ongoing support especially at times in their recovery when they are likely to be at their most vulnerable. We're a long way yet from being able to say whether this will be a success, but the difference I can see is working with people who genuinely care against working with people who care about ticking boxes and picking up their salary at the end of the month.

2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

And self interested/ entitled poor gitz.

sadly, being in the middle I'm being exploited by both, who use my labour and taxes to avoid labour and taxes

Seymour M Hersh
5 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

No it doesn't actually. You must be one of the most bitter little posters on here. 

Craig Gordons Gloves

This is quite an interesting thread.  Sweeping generalizations coming in from all over the shop.  I think everyone on this thread knows that not everyone that claims to be homeless is really homeless, not every Tory voter is inherently evil, not every Labour voter wants to smash the system and not every rich person hates the poor.  Sadly, it's symptomatic of how we as a society view things these days, or at least argue about them and to say that someone is a leftie or right wing.  At the end of the day, we're all both.  We don't want to pay shite loads of tax and we don't want governments to create situations that negatively impact the vulnerable in society. 

The solution is to put politics to the side and for everyone to come together and try and figure out solutions based on compromise -also knowing that no matter what solution is put in place there will always be exceptions that can't be solved. 

12 minutes ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

This is quite an interesting thread.  Sweeping generalizations coming in from all over the shop.  I think everyone on this thread knows that not everyone that claims to be homeless is really homeless, not every Tory voter is inherently evil, not every Labour voter wants to smash the system and not every rich person hates the poor.  Sadly, it's symptomatic of how we as a society view things these days, or at least argue about them and to say that someone is a leftie or right wing.  At the end of the day, we're all both.  We don't want to pay shite loads of tax and we don't want governments to create situations that negatively impact the vulnerable in society. 

The solution is to put politics to the side and for everyone to come together and try and figure out solutions based on compromise -also knowing that no matter what solution is put in place there will always be exceptions that can't be solved. 

not every tory voter is inherently evil:liesalarm:

Dagger Is Back
6 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

This year, give her a football, a satsuma, and a 5 pence piece. Tough love: she'll thank you for it in the long-run...   

:davebp:

Can you imagine? Carnage

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

No it doesn't actually. You must be one of the most bitter little posters on here. 

What? Because you say so? 

My opinion is that a country as “wealthy” as ours really should not have folk who are homeless or starving. Sorry if that upsets your agenda. 

Bitter aye? Give yourself some peace ya trumpet!

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

My opinion is that a country as “wealthy” as ours really should not have folk who are homeless or starving. Sorry if that upsets your agenda. 

I wish you'd give us some peace! 

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, Pans Jambo said:

Use the ignore button sonny. 

Unfortunately people do what I'v just done and quote your shite so I'm still subjected to it. 

Just now, Seymour M Hersh said:

Unfortunately people do what I'v just done and quote your shite so I'm still subjected to it. 

:gocompare:

6 hours ago, Zico said:

This is a party political broadcast on behalf of the...left party?

They are nicer people did you not know.

3 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Not sure what more we can do. I am going to use the word 'free' a bit here but it is free on behalf of people like me.

We give everyone the opportunity to either have kids or not have kids by supplying free contraception, fertility treatment and even the morning after pill.

We give the mother free healthcare throughout pregnancy and free abortion.

The kid gets a baby box at birth and the parents get free money every fortnight just for having a kid. 

The kid can be housed for free, fed for free and educated for free. The kid will have endless opoortunity to be better or as good as it chooses.

The kid will have free dental and healthcare growing up as will it's parents.

The kid will get free water and protection from the police.

What more can we as a country do? seriously? Why must the left always want nore from government. It really is take take take. There are 68 million people in the UK, we are in control of our own paths. If someone is genuinely homeless and not just a lazy scrounger then the help is there should they seek it. What more can be done?

People have their own lives, we pay our taxes and I am sorry but the rest is up to them.

6 hours ago, JyTees said:

Unfortunately, they eventually run out of other people's money.

But all thise greedy bankers and Trident!

:seething:

6 hours ago, JyTees said:

Unfortunately, they eventually run out of other people's money.

There is always the plastic though, you know for all those very important Amazon purchases.