Rugby

superjack

Sitting watching Scotland just now and I've finally realised something, although ok to watch, compared to football rugby is quite tame and boring.

1 team gets the egg, passes about a bit and then kicks it up the park, then the other team does the same.

Really miss football on weekends like this.

rudi must stay

Suprised at the score. Thought we were in for a hammering now we think we're decent at a sport usually happens :( . South Africa would be a cracking win if we could get it

I'm not saying I dislike rugby, lived in Gala from age 8 to adulthood and used to watch them if I couldn't get up to tynecastle. I just find it not as entertaining. A lit less skill than proper football.

been here before

Wee bit of play then it stops, wee bit of play then it stops, wee bit of play then it stops, wee bit of play then it stops, wee bit of play then it stops, wee bit of play then it stops, wee bit of play then it stops...

Some tidy looking wenches though.

rudi must stay
Just now, been here before said:

Wee bit of play then it stops, wee bit of play then it stops, wee bit of play then it stops, wee bit of play then it stops, wee bit of play then it stops, wee bit of play then it stops, wee bit of play then it stops...

Some tidy looking wenches though.

Penalty too, for no reason whatsoever. 

And the scrums, what a farce they are

Really like rugby. More a test of strength, energy and sheer power rather than skill and tactics.

Football when played correctly is an art. Rugby is a sport. All too often though, football is just turgid these days.

Edited by Taffin

4 minutes ago, superjack said:

I'm not saying I dislike rugby, lived in Gala from age 8 to adulthood and used to watch them if I couldn't get up to tynecastle. I just find it not as entertaining. A lit less skill than proper football.

Possibly.

Stuart Hogg’s running and kicking at times I found pretty damn skillfull though.

I'm trying to take more of an interest, my son has started playing since starting High School, he's got really keen. I can watch the odd international but I'll alway be a football man. 

5 minutes ago, scottishguy said:

Rugby players make football players look like utter wimps. Imagine a footballer getting tackled half as hard!!!

I'd imagine if it was an expected part of the game they would bulk up more and get on with it.

Imagine having to use the skill that a winger uses when build like rugby player. It would probably result in players breaking their own ankles trying to turn as quick as a footballer whilst weighing 20 stone.

rudi must stay

What matters I think is this has been a terrific effort. Gave as good as they've got against a far more talented team than us from what I've seen, Scotland have to play like that every game to have any chance.

21 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

What matters I think is this has been a terrific effort. Gave as good as they've got against a far more talented team than us from what I've seen, Scotland have to play like that every game to have any chance.

I thought we were poor, second half especially. Lost the ball from hand, the ground and from foot today.

Shows how far we have come that I'm annoyed by a narrow defeat to South Africa but I do feel we are starting to regress slightly.

Captain Sausage
9 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I thought we were poor, second half especially. Lost the ball from hand, the ground and from foot today.

Shows how far we have come that I'm annoyed by a narrow defeat to South Africa but I do feel we are starting to regress slightly.

Agree with most of what you say. Disagree about the regression. 

Problem today was Finn Russell had an absolutely mare. Nothing came off for him and it cost us. 

Second half also showed up the gulf in class between our top XV and subs. Harris in particular is so far below international level its unreal. 

A recurring theme with Scotland is them being easy to turn over the ball from.   Other teams find it easy to turn over and make it stick.    Scotland routinely win turn over ball and are turned over again within seconds.    But they competed very well there vs a top side.     Worryingly all the major 6 nations opponents they will face are no less good and powerful as South Africa.     Scotland need further improvement.

57 minutes ago, superjack said:

I'd imagine if it was an expected part of the game they would bulk up more and get on with it.

Imagine having to use the skill that a winger uses when build like rugby player. It would probably result in players breaking their own ankles trying to turn as quick as a footballer whilst weighing 20 stone.

Get waht your saying, but how many rugby players are 20stone? They hit hard and often, where as footballers crumble at anything. 

31 minutes ago, scottishguy said:

Get waht your saying, but how many rugby players are 20stone? They hit hard and often, where as footballers crumble at anything. 

Know what you mean, but in rugby it isn't a foul of you clatter into someone and out them on their arse so there is no point in pretending you were fouled. In football, although I totally disagree with it, players will usually make the most of contact to gain an advantage.

My comment about rugby players being 20 stone was slightly tongue in cheek, a lot of forwards are as all they are there for is power.

To be fair it's probably wrong that we're trying to compare the 2 sports to each other.

Geoff the Mince

we lacked a bit of leadership second half , 

a couple of times we seemed hesitant . 

Irish still winning with 5 mins to go  .

All roads lead to Gorgie

I watched Scotland earlier and how frustrating, that game was winnable but we ***ked it up near the end by allowing the Boks to smash our pack. I thought we played well first half but all our composure seemed to go in the second half and we were ground down by a physical but a bit boring South African team. 

Sir Vladimir of Romanov

Usual comments from the usual people. 

Abusing what they don't understand. Thankfully not everyone in Edinburgh was dragged up. 

3 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

I like how 10 rugby players can throwing punches at each other and no one mentions it?

My best friend's 7-year-old son watched his first rugby match on the telly last weekend. So shocked was he at the violence, he started crying, bless him. He was very confused. "Mummy, you tell me this behaviour is wrong - but they're all doing it!" 

As for Scotland: given I think Vern Cotter is an absolutely phenomenal coach, there's always been a question mark in my head over Gregor Townsend. It seems doubtful to me whether Scotland will properly kick on - or instead, be quite fitful and inconsistent, brilliant one week, mistake-ridden the next.

This is still far and away Scotland's best side in at least a generation - but I really wonder what'll happen at the World Cup, where they don't just face rampant Ireland, but hosts Japan too.

Edited by shaun.lawson

Just now, Barack said:

Think Apartheid is over. Probably given passports now, & everything.

That Nelson fella did well for himself.??

(I'm being facetious big guy. Don't shoot the messenger. :) )

Dick :getout:

You know exactly what I meant.

8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The interesting thing for me today was that I saw quite a few black South African fans around town. 

That's great. And shows that what South African rugby has done since 2007 is really starting to bear fruit.

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Ftfy.

Not quite. They only brought in quotas for the national team after '07. Prior to that, there was only the odd black player who became Springbok regulars (eg. Habana or Williams).

rudi must stay
7 hours ago, Taffin said:

I think we are totally progressing. Played some great stuff, and we kept the ball well. I am no rugby expert but to dominate is quite an achievement, and we did that second half IMO. Class shows and the boks had too much for us rugby wise, they played a very solid game as they always do (what sets South Africa, Australia and the All Blacks apart is their defence) but it was an effort to be proud of before the six nations.

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
4 hours ago, Barack said:

Think Apartheid is over. Probably given passports now, & everything.

That Nelson fella did well for himself.??

(I'm being facetious big guy. Don't shoot the messenger. :) )

Aye not bad for a murderer and terrorist. 

chester copperpot

Some of those springboks guys. Jeezo. Some size them. I like Union Rugby, love watching Scotland doing well in some form of sport. 

Geoff the Mince
9 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

My best friend's 7-year-old son watched his first rugby match on the telly last weekend. So shocked was he at the violence, he started crying, bless him. He was very confused. "Mummy, you tell me this behaviour is wrong - but they're all doing it!" 

As for Scotland: given I think Vern Cotter is an absolutely phenomenal coach, there's always been a question mark in my head over Gregor Townsend. It seems doubtful to me whether Scotland will properly kick on - or instead, be quite fitful and inconsistent, brilliant one week, mistake-ridden the next.

This is still far and away Scotland's best side in at least a generation - but I really wonder what'll happen at the World Cup, where they don't just face rampant Ireland, but hosts Japan too.

Sean you dinnae half slaver some pish ! 

15 hours ago, superjack said:

Sitting watching Scotland just now and I've finally realised something, although ok to watch, compared to football rugby is quite tame and boring.

1 team gets the egg, passes about a bit and then kicks it up the park, then the other team does the same.

Really miss football on weekends like this.

Should never be played at the same time as Hearts home games, 5pm like yesterday is the answer.

Played rugby at school , was good mixing with the posher kids from heriots, stewart melville.

Playing on icy pitches was not a joy though.

Used to go to murrayfield as a teenager, over 100,000 at a welsh game once, never been for a long long time.

Massive Scotland fan. I get more pride watching the National rugby team for 5 seconds than I have in the past 15 or so years watching our football national team.

13 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Ireland are imo the favourites but in the grand scheme of things we have the best group out the lot.

13 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

?

Its hard to tell whether you're serious or joking or know as much about rugby as you do about football.

Japan :rofl:

I preferred the amateur rugby days and the old Murrayfield terracing, never much liked that new seated stadium with the daft running track. It all went wrong in the 90s for me, starting off with that grand slam in 90 game. Money took over. 

15 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

?

Its hard to tell whether you're serious or joking or know as much about rugby as you do about football.

Japan :rofl:

Yes, Japan. That's exactly the kind of post that'll come back and bite you on the backside.

Japan beat South Africa at the last World Cup, which Scotland have never done. Japan led England at half time at Twickenham yesterday; when did Scotland last lead England at Twickenham?

And next year, Japan are the host nation. What happens to many host nations at major tournaments? What were your thoughts ahead of Russia-Spain this summer, for example?

I wouldn't exactly be doing cartwheels if England had drawn them next year. As it is, they'll be targeting the game against Scotland. That's the match that could turn them into national heroes - and if your players have the same attitude as you do above, bye bye. 

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

Ireland are imo the favourites but in the grand scheme of things we have the best group out the lot.

Group favourites? Absolutely. Tournament favourites? Nah. If it was being played in Europe, OK - but it's not, and they've a long long history of messing it up when the chips are down.

Assuming they win the group, Ireland will face either South Africa or New Zealand in the last eight. That's a massive challenge against either of them (South Africa in and out of World Cups are two different teams), which they could well fail. Scotland's prospects? Last eight at best.

Looking at the draw, my predicted last four are currently:

New Zealand 

Wales

Australia

South Africa

With an All Blacks-Springboks final, won by the latter. A major question for me ahead of the tournament is: will New Zealand's current slight wobble turn into a slump?

Edited by shaun.lawson

20 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

49CD24E8-3C5D-4E4C-ABD7-450F5990149A.gif

3 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

49CD24E8-3C5D-4E4C-ABD7-450F5990149A.gif

Saying take news to a post like his is wrong, maybe be more subtle with a Walter mitty reference in future?

The White Cockade
5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

When a try is scored, how is the position of the conversion kick decided? 

in line with where the ball is touched down

they can then go back as far as they like as long as it's still in line

Edited by The White Cockade

1 minute ago, The White Cockade said:

in line with where the ball is touched down

they can then go back as far as the like as long as it's still in line

Thanks ?