Champions League 2018/19

Morgan

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Can't think of too many players that had been out for 2 months come straight in to a team like Kane did. Should have stuck with the players that produced the miracles at Man City and Ajax.

Seemed to be more about Kane than Tottenham

IMO it was a mistake playing him.

On the bench would have been more sensible.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Morgan

• CJGJ

• The Internet

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Old Tolbooth
16 hours ago, luckydug said:

Do you have a connection to Liverpool ?

I don't come from Edinburgh either but I support Hearts, what's your point? 

The Old Tolbooth
On 01/06/2019 at 00:31, c9crew said:

Likewise. 8.11am train then off to The Grand Central Hall for the game. Fingers crossed. 

Absolutely mental scenes mate, yesterday was the best I've ever seen, Concert Square was just unbelievable, it wasn't the greatest of games but I really don't care tbh, because ol big ears is coming home ????

It should have been ten
10 hours ago, Worthing Jambo said:

The quality may not be great but as you say, the passion more than makes up for it.

Unfortunately, a lot of the coaches are now trying to copy the English style, effing boring ☹️

True mate :sleeping2:

2 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I don't come from Edinburgh either but I support Hearts, what's your point? 

How can you support more than one team ?

I don't get it.

Admire a team for their style of play etc by all means.

Supporting more than one team dilutes your reputation as a football fan. In other words you are neither a proper Hearts or Liverpool fan.

It's like the kid who wants all the sweets as well as the ice cream.

Who did you support when we played Liverpool ?

The Old Tolbooth

The problem with the game being pretty poor is that it's played almost a month after the end of the domestic season, it's far too long to wait as any momentum for either side is lost. 

The Old Tolbooth
1 minute ago, luckydug said:

I don't get it.

Supporting more than one team dilutes your reputation as a football fan. In other words you are neither a proper Hearts or Liverpool fan.

What a total load of bollox, some folk need to get over themselves ???

Have a nice day pal, I know I will ?

(Oh, I was in the Hearts end, felt strange being in the away end at Anfield though) 

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Absolutely mental scenes mate, yesterday was the best I've ever seen, Concert Square was just unbelievable, it wasn't the greatest of games but I really don't care tbh, because ol big ears is coming home ????

Great you had a great time.

Dire game but it’s the result that counts.

Pleased for Klopp as he’s a breath of fresh air.

vegas-voss
7 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Spurs didn’t leave anything on the pitch. Once in a lifetime opportunity for that club and they didn’t even put in a couple of hefty challenges to intimidate Liverpool. None of the big players showed up. Liverpool were poor but Van

Dijk, Robertson and Allison were solid. They probably would have lost tonight without Van Dijk and Allison in particular. Kane, Eriksen, Son & Ali did very little, a late flourish aside. Interesting contrast with the Europa League Final where the first half was turgid but Hazard and Giroud stepped up second half against an anonymous and insipid Arsenal team.

Totally felt more like an end of season affair with two teams with nothing to play for.I thought it would be dull as dishwater as soon as Spurs knocked Ajax out.It seemed particularly strange from Spurs though after the guts and determination it took for them to get there as they were totally out played by Ajax for the majority of the semi tie but hauled themselves through.

Great to see another Scot with a CL medal though.

Angel eyes
10 hours ago, luckydug said:

I'm disappointed because I thought  we would see a good game tonight.

Instead we got a display of eye bleeding football that made Tynecastle  look good in comparison. 

Worst final for many a year.

Barcelona played a team years ago in the final European cup it was brutal they may have been Russian or Rumania? Barcelona lost on pens I think? 

41 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Great to see another Scot with a CL medal though.

This. Some of his defending provided the highlight of what was a dull affair. His, and the rest of the Liverpool back four, positioning is so clever - it reminds me of a Richie McCaw quote about rugby: "it's got nothing to do with being the fastest player over 40 yards, nothing. People obsess over the wrong metric. It has everything to do with running the shortest distances"

59 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

If you are going to the parade today have a great time .??????

It’s round about this time that we get to hear which Liverpool player had his house burgled last night ...

Jambo, Goodbye
12 minutes ago, luckydug said:

No different to the Liverpool/Hearts fans on here.

tense.gif.f60d18aed77bd55c01d863d48759b2cc.gif

Nookie Bear
3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

IMO it was a mistake playing him.

On the bench would have been more sensible.

I dunno, he looked sharp enough in the second half. 

For me the problem was getting the ball to him. Eriksson was off it, Dele Ali is a show pony and Harry Winks just fills a shirt. 

been here before
1 hour ago, luckydug said:

I don't get it.

How does that work if Hearts arent playing and I go down and support Edinburgh City?

Edited by been here before

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, been here before said:

How does that work if Hearts arent playing and I go down and support Edinburgh City?

Did you go down and support them before they got league status ?

Maroon Sailor
3 hours ago, luckydug said:

I don't get it.

I went to an Indian restaurant in Glasgow after the final last week. One of the waiters was a young Scots lad and we got talking about football. Said we were Hearts fans and just been to the game. He said he supported an English team. When pushed he said Man City ! I just laughed you can't make it up. I've only know 2 Scottish Man City fans in my life pre oil rig Man City now they seem more and more common.

Funny old thing

been here before
19 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Did you go down and support them before they got league status ?

I did aye but what difference would that make?

Maroon Sailor
Just now, been here before said:

I did aye but what difference would that make?

Good for you otherwise you were getting called out for being a gloryhunter

been here before
11 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Good for you otherwise you were getting called out for being a gloryhunter

Aye keeping an eye on the fortunes of a fourth division team and going down to support them about ten times a season is truly a path to glory.

Those Scouse and Man gits cant even begin to imagine the glorys to be found doing that.

Mind you I suppose only getting there less than a dozen games makes me a bit plastic and of course only going when Hearts arent playing only "dilutes" my support. 

Edited by been here before

The English would have you believe thar hoofball only happens north of the border.

All Liverpool did all night was hoof it into the channels. Did the commentator say Wijnaldum only had 10 touches/passes when he got taken off? Embarrasing.

Tottenham were rank, no creativity, no end product.

Game felt like a pre-season friendly tbh. But the English game is the best in the world.

Aye the game was shite, but let’s no forget how both teams managed to get there.

For those slating the quality on show the English game is as strong as it’s ever been. Last nights final, The strength of Man City. The Europa league final - If you reckon the EPL is overrated, God only knows what you think of every other European league....

19 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

The English would have you believe thar hoofball only happens north of the border.

All Liverpool did all night was hoof it into the channels. Did the commentator say Wijnaldum only had 10 touches/passes when he got taken off? Embarrasing.

Game felt like a pre-season friendly tbh. But the English game is the best in the world.

You would of course be forgetting some the best semi finals ever seen never mind a classic all English quarter final....if you must post try to engage brain first...like it or not at present the Epl is the best league in the world.  

Unknown user
7 hours ago, luckydug said:

I don't get it.

In my Dutch years I tried and failed to get into local teams. I just didn't care enough, I wasn't brought up with them and didn't have any history with them while Hearts is a thread through generations of my family. 

But while over there I met a Welsh guy who supports Cardiff, liverpool, Everton (when not playing liverpool) and Ajax, and he's genuinely pretty mental for them all.

I guess it just works differently for different people.

Edited by Smithee

CostaJambo

Personally I would be raging if I was a Spurs fan who had paid thousands to get there only to watch my team pass it back to the goalie for 90 minutes, at least one of them was even in the final third FFS.

Angel eyes
6 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

For me the problem was getting the ball to him. Eriksson was off it, Dele Ali is a show pony and Harry Winks just fills a shirt. 

Harry winks just “fills” a shirt aye okay  he’d struggle to get into our midfield right enough?

2 hours ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Liverpool tactics of not conceding work out well

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Angel eyes said:

Harry winks just “fills” a shirt aye okay  he’d struggle to get into our midfield right enough?

Not really what I meant.

At that level, he is a poor player. I would probably pick him ahead of Ollie Lee though. 

4 hours ago, CJGJ said:

You would of course be forgetting some the best semi finals ever seen never mind a classic all English quarter final....if you must post try to engage brain first...like it or not at present the Epl is the best league in the world.  

"Engage brain"?

Fairly certain a Liverpool centre midfielder left the field having made 8 or so passes after about an hour. Like it or not Liverpool played more hoofball last night than most SPFL sides have. 

Im not having a go at your beloved ffs just stateing my opinion which is fairly well backed up by the stats from last night. 

Like it or not I prefer the Scottish Premiership to the English leagues. Sounds strange but living in Scotland for majority of my life does that to you.

2 hours ago, jambocub said:

Liverpool tactics of not conceding work out well

They do, however a more clinical side would have put one of the chances at the end away.

10 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Throw in Kane but he’ll get the excuse of not being fully fit.

Firstly, I must say and so has everyone else, at that level, it’s been a fine achievement from Spurs given they didn’t splash out because of the stadium. 

But to be critical, I think the trio of Kane, Eriksen and Alli turn up for 1 out of 2, maybe 3 crunch matches. They can be terrific together when on song but when you set the standard , you look for the next stage. If players continue to fail when it counts you need to look at that.

Van Djik had Kane in his pocket.  An England captain hardly showing any guts for the battle in a cup final is poor.  He’s so weak at times for a big guy and you see him pull out when he thinks hes not winning the ball.  

Alli must be the most frustrating for Spurs fans. Inconsistent because he’s too lazy in style and wants to do wee flicks and moves that waste possession. When he decides to inject urgency in his game he can be a player but it’s not often enough. 

16 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

"Engage brain"?

Fairly certain a Liverpool centre midfielder left the field having made 8 or so passes after about an hour. Like it or not Liverpool played more hoofball last night than most SPFL sides have. 

Im not having a go at your beloved ffs just stateing my opinion which is fairly well backed up by the stats from last night. 

Like it or not I prefer the Scottish Premiership to the English leagues. Sounds strange but living in Scotland for majority of my life does that to you.

Judgement based on one match and you make spurious claims based on that

Ignoring the other points because you know you would look stupid to deny them

What did your stats say about those matches ?

Clubs like Liverpool , Manchester City and Spurs play attractive football and like it or not those are the facts so please try to base your comments on more than one match...its sad when you make claims that just don't stack up

I watch different leagues and our league live but don't let that blind me to liking football from other areas of the world and certainly don't make assumptions on one match

Maroon Sailor

Thankfully that sorry excuse for a " Champions " League Cup final won't be shown time and time again.

2 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Clubs like Liverpool , Manchester City and Spurs play attractive football and like it or not those are the facts so please try to base your comments on more than one match...its sad when you make claims that just don't stack up

I watch different leagues and our league live but don't let that blind me to liking football from other areas of the world and certainly don't make assumptions on one match

In a nutshell, Liverpool didn’t play well but won the European Cup. Not bad going.

Reward for the rigours of a CL campaign where there was plenty excitement along the way.

What didn’t make it a great game was the way Spurs controlled it and didn’t allow Liverpool to build momentum. I think Spurs went out to slow the game. In turn, they didn’t do enough on the night in the end with all their possession.  Plenty games like this happen over a season. 

3 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

My comment was about said match. I haven't made a comment about other games because they are irrelevant i thought everyone was talking about the final considering that game had just been played. Man City play excellent football. With their budget it really isn't surprising. At times Celtic play football that is a much higher level than the likes of St Mirren. 

I prefer watching the likes of Villa, Leeds and Forest in England purely because of their fans but even the football in the Championship is far more entertaining than watching the teams you have just mentioned. Unless of course you enjoy watching games where teams have about 70% possession.

Each to their own but watching Van Dijk launch the ball 60 yards for Mane and Salah to run onto gets a bit tedious for a neutral to watch, as does watching Spurs painfully try and carve open a watertight defense.

Angel eyes
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Not really what I meant.

At that level, he is a poor player. I would probably pick him ahead of Ollie Lee though. 

I’d like to think so! But I think he’s had injury problems the last two seasons ankle issues it’s kinda hampered him a bit but I think one of the earlier European games for spurs he owned it. There’s big things expected of him.

Mr Elwood P
13 hours ago, luckydug said:

I don't get it.

I was going to post that you can't, it annoys the hell out of me too. A friend of mine claims to support Motherwell, Inter Milan and Arsenal! Then I thought maybe football clubs and women have something in common. Some men will marry young and be faithful to their wife forever, only really loving that one woman. Other men fall in love at multiple junctures in their life, sometimes being in love with their wife and their mistress(') simultaneously. For some men Heart of Midlothian is all they need. Other men need the added excitement and stimulation of supporting Edinburgh City or Liverpool on the side, so to speak. Be interesting to do a poll to see how many of the multiple team supporters are playing away from home?

On 02/06/2019 at 09:14, The Old Tolbooth said:

Unbelievable scenes. Only got to bed at 7am this morning. Absolute carnage. 

16 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I was going to post that you can't, it annoys the hell out of me too. A friend of mine claims to support Motherwell, Inter Milan and Arsenal! Then I thought maybe football clubs and women have something in common. Some men will marry young and be faithful to their wife forever, only really loving that one woman. Other men fall in love at multiple junctures in their life, sometimes being in love with their wife and their mistress(') simultaneously. For some men Heart of Midlothian is all they need. Other men need the added excitement and stimulation of supporting Edinburgh City or Liverpool on the side, so to speak. Be interesting to do a poll to see how many of the multiple team supporters are playing away from home?

I just don't think it's possible to truly support 2 teams at once.  Supporting a team is more than just caring about them winning, it's a thing that sinks deep down inside you and changes your entire outlook on the subject of football.  When Hearts lose a game, it genuinely upsets me.  When Hearts score, it gives me goosebumps and a euphoric feeling, especially in those vitally important games.  I can watch back games from years ago and remember what it felt like to be there, and it still feels like that in the moment.  Hearts have the unique ability of being able to completely ruin my day, or make my entire weekend better, no other team comes close to being able to do that.

I support Hearts, and only Hearts.  I have other football teams that I like, but I cannot even remotely claim to be a supporter of them, I just like watching them play, like looking out for their results, and I have a wee smile to myself if I see they've won.  I take an interest in Newcastle United, Lechia Gdansk and Eintracht Frankfurt.  I've even been to games and really enjoyed myself, but it didn't even feel 1% as good as being at Tynecastle feels.

I don't even think I support Scotland in the same way that I support Hearts, and that's even before the apathy years of recent times.  It's just not the same, and I don't understand how people can have multiple "loves" in football without diluting the whole feeling that supporting a team is supposed to bring.

been here before
16 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

?

The Old Tolbooth
2 hours ago, c9crew said:

Unbelievable scenes. Only got to bed at 7am this morning. Absolute carnage. 

You must be a lot younger than me to last until that time mate :lol:

I had to come up the road around 1pm yesterday by train as I needed to be back to work this morning, and if I stayed down for the parade, that was never happening ha ha! Gutted to miss the parade but just so chuffed to be part of events down there, absolutely amazing! 

Hope you're not to rough today pal :D 

I support Hearts and I follow Chelsea. Nothing Chelsea have ever done has given me a feeling remote to experiences I have with Hearts.

I like Chelsea to win, I don't like it when they lose but my day continues on unaffected either way. That's not always the same with Hearts. I think a lot of people who profess to support two teams and care equally for them probably don't have that visceral draw to one of them and don't really know that feeling so think the are a supporter of both but in reality truly support neither and are just a follower of them both.

There's loads of 'supporters' of clubs in England who make even the most part time Hearts fan look committed. They don't realise what being a true supporter intertwined with their club is really all about. 

Edited by Taffin

The Old Tolbooth
18 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

In a nutshell, Liverpool didn’t play well but won the European Cup. Not bad going.

Reward for the rigours of a CL campaign where there was plenty excitement along the way.

What didn’t make it a great game was the way Spurs controlled it and didn’t allow Liverpool to build momentum. I think Spurs went out to slow the game. In turn, they didn’t do enough on the night in the end with all their possession.  Plenty games like this happen over a season. 

Pretty much what we done to Celtic in the Scottish Cup final, we knew we were the inferior side, so we played a way to level it up a bit, and it nearly worked. 

There's a few reasons why I think it was a non event as a game really, almost a month between the end of the season and the final is never a good thing, teams go rusty and cold, Liverpool getting the early penalty (stonewaller for me, what was his hand doing up there in the first place?) killed it a bit because Spurs had to watch what they were doing and couldn't afford to go 2 down, and Liverpool then didn't have to go on the hunt as they already had the lead, Liverpool had a lot more gears to go through if they needed them, but Spurs were so bad that they didn't need to use them, the defence and keeper were superb, and I genuinely can't think of one moment during the game where I was worried with one of the Spurs chances. They needed a goal and brought on Dier, it was at that point I knew it was won. 

hmfc_liam06
On 01/06/2019 at 23:02, Maroon Sailor said:

The game is all about money - how the feck can a team be the best team in Europe when they haven't been the best team in their country for nearly 3 decades ?!

It's generally easier to win cups, even the European Cup, than it is to win the league. Freak results, easy draws etc can see you in the final and even win it.

A true barometer is winning the league, as you say, Liverpool haven't done so in nearly 30 years.

58 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's generally easier to win cups, even the European Cup, than it is to win the league. Freak results, easy draws etc can see you in the final and even win it.

A true barometer is winning the league, as you say, Liverpool haven't done so in nearly 30 years.

Still champions of Europe and no amount of debate, tears and put downs will change that. ?