Selling Hearts and our History - Well done Craig Levein

Walter Bishop

As someone who in the past has been a critic of Craig Levein i have to say how wrong was I! He had a plan, it is starting to show.

The transformation in almost all aspects of the club in the past 12 months has been nothing short of miraculous. We have a club, stadium, training facility and fanbase that is second to none. The biggest thing for me however is the way all the new players have been sold the club and our history, whether it was the fringe show McCrae`s battalion or attending plot ceremonies with the Foundation these guys behave and talk like they have been with us for years, all becoming fan favourites overnight! It is great to see and the buzz around all things Hearts just now is on a level not seen for years, We again have players fighting for that famous badge on their jersey and also fighting for us every time they step onto the park. 

So humble pie for me and credit where its due, this is all down to Levein and his backroom team. Long may it continue.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
19 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

As someone who in the past has been a critic of Craig Levein i have to say how wrong was I! He had a plan, it is starting to show.

The transformation in almost all aspects of the club in the past 12 months has been nothing short of miraculous. We have a club, stadium, training facility and fanbase that is second to none. The biggest thing for me however is the way all the new players have been sold the club and our history, whether it was the fringe show McCrae`s battalion or attending plot ceremonies with the Foundation these guys behave and talk like they have been with us for years, all becoming fan favourites overnight! It is great to see and the buzz around all things Hearts just now is on a level not seen for years, We again have players fighting for that famous badge on their jersey and also fighting for us every time they step onto the park. 

So humble pie for me and credit where its due, this is all down to Levein and his backroom team. Long may it continue.

Well said Walter. Leveins got the same ambition for Hearts as any fan. 

But like any human they sometimes make misjudgements. 

I am very excited about the improvement 

alwaysthereinspirit
29 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Don't sell Edinburgh the city short either. Britain has some beautiful places but there's not many have a top league football team playing there. Big city looks, small town feel. Onwards and upwards.

1 hour ago, gjcc said:

Phew. Title made me think The Rangers had put a bid in. 

Haha, quality.

Title should probably begin with ‘Promoting’ rather than ‘Selling’.

Stephen Muddie

The Rangers can't afford our history. They can't even afford their own.

good feels.

believe and achieve

Edited by Stephen Muddie

scott herbertson
2 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Well said, and good on you for being man enough to say when you got it wrong. Most of us had bad thoughts about the way things were going at some time last year so Levein has proved nearly all of us wrong ( I freely admit to thinking an extension for Naismaith on what must be a big salary was a crazy decision, and my first thoughts on Uche (watching his half in the Arbroath preseason friendly) were that 'big huddy' was a reasonable description, and Mulraney was the pick of the bunch...... - what do I know?)

1 hour ago, gjcc said:

Phew. Title made me think The Rangers had put a bid in. 

Don't worry, when we are still doing well in December there will be plenty of Rangers bid headlines in the DL aimed at unsettling our players.

Stephen Muddie
5 minutes ago, brux said:

Don't worry, when we are still doing well in December there will be plenty of Rangers bid headlines in the DL aimed at unsettling our players.

Whilst they are languishing mid table, would be nice

In the Sean Clare article on Hearts website I was impressed that "the history" made an impact on him and his decision. Having been fortunate enough to win a stadium tour in the half time draw I must admit it's quite an emotional thing. Especially after admin.

Tynecastlesmychurch

Great op! 

Must say Im really happy for Levein hes a proper Hearts man through and through and a good guy and im glad things are falling into place! 

Several of the new players have mentioned this. I don't think I always realise just how unique and special our history is,, and the fact that Craig puts so much into introducing new players to all that Hears is really does pay dividends.

I was in the museum on the weekend that Ben Garuccio signed. Craig was personally acompanying Ben round the museum., and making sure he was getting a complete understanding of the privilege it is to play for our football club.  Says it all really.

That’s the benefit of having an absolutely proper hearts man and fanatic for detail at the head of our club.

He does so much none of us see.

We know this now reading between the lines from comments since his health scare.

jamboinglasgow

Think it can be important in signing a player. If a player is trying to weigh up two similar offers than being able to offer a unique history and identity can make a player feel proud to play for them.

Levein plays a big part, but I notice how many interviews with new players, the new players make sure to mention Austin. 

3 hours ago, Oliver Twist said:

It was never in any doubt in my mind. 

Mr Levein was always going to get it right. 

Patience is a virtue.

I was confident, but not certain, that he'd improve us, and unsure about how far he'd improve us. I had no issue with people who simply didn't think he'd be able to improve us, or at least not by enough (he's certainly made mistakes both as DoF and manager, so doubt in some people's minds was understandable ), just those that made completely unwarranted personal attacks on him. Fair play to the OP for admitting CL has proven him wrong!

7 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

First off, fair play for holding yourhands up.

Secondly, glad you posted this - I noticed Jimmy Dunne at the weekend it looked like he was wearing a pair of brown football boots.

Maybe a coincidence but he was very impressed with the war of two halves and has bought into the history of the club immediately.

Agree with all the positive things said about Craig. We must not forget too that much of this club progress to attain our potential is down to the stability, common sense and business acumen of Ann Budge. 

2 hours ago, Marcus Cicero said:

Agree with all the positive things said about Craig. We must not forget too that much of this club progress to attain our potential is down to the stability, common sense and business acumen of Ann Budge. 

Huge credit to both Craig Levein and Ann Budge.

The Old Tolbooth

We really are lucky to have him with us, he's turned our fortunes right round with some amazing pieces of business, I honestly thought he'd need 2 or 3 windows to get a team together, but with the backing of Budge (and don't forget the fans through FoH), it's all been possible for Craig to go out and do what he does best, and that's manage a football team/club. 

On another bright note, you won't get many Hibs fans posting on threads like this, their jealousy is utterly reeking right now :) 

wattie exploited
18 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Levien has his critics but he is a hearts man through and through and that is a fact  :wattie:

highlandjambo3
18 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

And the media portray very little of this.  But we know that’s their way.

I've expressed doubts about Craig and his plans, but usually with the caveat that I desperately wanted him to prove me wrong. Always liked and respected Craig despite any reservations. 

Thankfully, Craig is now proving me wrong and, hopefully, by the end of the season, he'll have done it spectacularly. 

rudi must stay
19 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Well said Walter. Leveins got the same ambition for Hearts as any fan. 

But like any human they sometimes make misjudgements. 

I am very excited about the improvement 

I'm not a big fan of  Chris Sutton. But he was quite right, Levein steadied things last season. The hammering and games we weren't in under the man before no longer happened and we picked up some good wins. And he has built on that

So many people got it wrong about CL because they were not thinking about the medium to long term benefit of having  the best strategic thinker in the game overseeing the development of the club. i said in the various Levein threads that CL builds infrastructure everywhere he goes. Too often he has moved on before his plans come ti fruition. I just hope that he is about to get his reward for all his fantastic work for the club.

Edited by tcjambo

More importantly there is not one player in the squad whom I believe could have his head turned in January. Lafferty was the last. England maybe, but this option will not be such a stick on for the OF and their media toadies...

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

I'm not a big fan of  Chris Sutton. But he was quite right, Levein steadied things last season. The hammering and games we weren't in under the man before no longer happened and we picked up some good wins. And he has built on that

I made a point back in March around that awful draw at Dundee. We hadn't downed tools but it was fairly clear to me, that the season had been written off and only the home games really mattered, with one in particular.

Clearly he had been planning since around November. He has not quite manipulated the situation, but he has been clever to demonstrate last year, the strength of the academy and the weakness of the squad. It saved last season from being a complete PR disaster.

The turnaround in personnel, I don't believe he could have imagined the early success in his wildest dreams, usually it takes time. But how he has done that is very clever, and I have heard Bielsa say the same at Leeds. New players need time to be integrated and understand the team, and with many new players, a message can be lost in how you want that team to play.

So though the numbers were large, there was a very definite pause between the initial wave of signings and then this latest wave the last 3 weeks.

Deeply impressed by the calculated and sustained effort this window, it didn't start in May, it probably traces back close on a year. I would imagine some of that intensity has brought on the illness, but that is merely my own speculative view.

On Craig the person. I have met him several times, once where he was duty bound, but the other times, when he was not connected to Hearts in any official capacity, he has approached and he had been wearing Hearts tie etc. 

He loves Hearts like any of us do. It will be an incredible day, if he leads us back to silverware.

41 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I made a point back in March around that awful draw at Dundee. We hadn't downed tools but it was fairly clear to me, that the season had been written off and only the home games really mattered, with one in particular.

Clearly he had been planning since around November. He has not quite manipulated the situation, but he has been clever to demonstrate last year, the strength of the academy and the weakness of the squad. It saved last season from being a complete PR disaster.

The turnaround in personnel, I don't believe he could have imagined the early success in his wildest dreams, usually it takes time. But how he has done that is very clever, and I have heard Bielsa say the same at Leeds. New players need time to be integrated and understand the team, and with many new players, a message can be lost in how you want that team to play.

So though the numbers were large, there was a very definite pause between the initial wave of signings and then this latest wave the last 3 weeks.

Deeply impressed by the calculated and sustained effort this window, it didn't start in May, it probably traces back close on a year. I would imagine some of that intensity has brought on the illness, but that is merely my own speculative view.

On Craig the person. I have met him several times, once where he was duty bound, but the other times, when he was not connected to Hearts in any official capacity, he has approached and he had been wearing Hearts tie etc. 

He loves Hearts like any of us do. It will be an incredible day, if he leads us back to silverware.

I agree about last season. He needed to stop the slide and focused on getting the defence right and not losing, especially away. Making Tynecastle a fortress again though was really important, which he did. He was also very unlucky with injuries last year, I can't remember a worst season for injuries to key players, especially the more creative ones, leaving us relying on the likes of Callachan and Randall in midfield.

Having been part of the 85/86 team Craig knows what building a team spirit is all about and where it can take you. I think what has separated us from the other teams this year is we had the majority of signings in before pre-season so they had time to bond. And some of the others who came later, like Naismith and Mitchell, already knew the club. Lennon is in the papers saying his team needs time to gel, Levein basically made sure the gelling happened in pre-season and the League Cup. Great to have someone who knows what he's doing in charge.

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

More importantly there is not one player in the squad whom I believe could have his head turned in January. Lafferty was the last. England maybe, but this option will not be such a stick on for the OF and their media toadies...

The more OF-focused sections of the media (ie most of it) do seem a little put out that their pre-planned narrative of Gerrard vs Rodgers isn't panning out ?

25 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

The more OF-focused sections of the media (ie most of it) do seem a little put out that their pre-planned narrative of Gerrard vs Rodgers isn't panning out ?

They are of course correct to hype Gerrard - it is good for the game in Scotland, even if it is more hype than substance. Plus its great as Levein has just quietly adding and adding to the squad. This is the first time in my lifetime that we've had decent cover for every position on the park, and what did Levein do when Berra got injured - he went out and brought in 2 CBs!  There is something significant happening down Gorgie way this season, I think we can all feel it...

I have my fingers crossed for Morelos and Griffiths to pick up injuries on Thursday!

Edited by Spellczech

17 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

THIS^^^^^

They HATE that we are spoiling their wee 'old firm' rivalry party whereas I am absolutely loving it (funnily enough)!

As mentioned above, when we put the rangers to the sword in their own back garden on the 7th October the tears and snotters from that lot will be a thing to behold.

And we are still not there yet!! Once all the off field business has be finished the player budget will rise accordingly.

Just imagine what we can do in 12 months time. Craig will have even more resources at his disposal to strengthen the paying side of the club whilst continuing to bolster the youth set up with young promising players. 

Imagine more Steven Naismiths at the club bringing quality to all positions. The future looks bright the future looks maroon!

Edited by Dannie Boy

19 hours ago, Tynecastlesmychurch said:

Great op! 

Must say Im really happy for Levein hes a proper Hearts man through and through and a good guy and im glad things are falling into place! 

Craig Levein wants to win where ever he's at, yes he wants to win something with Hearts but he also wants to win for himself. He takes things personally and the flack he got at the Scotland really told on him. He didn't want the managers job here again but wanted to help rebuild the club and make us secure again and he is well on the way to doing that. When he took the managers job again he was under fire from all sides because of the Cathro appointment and the way we were playing, I personally didn't think he had the drive left in him to succeed as a manager until the Hamilton game when he got sent to the stand then I knew the old Craig was back. Let me tell you this, he fancies our chances, he wont say it in public, he's not that stupid to leave himself wide open again but he knows this is a chance for himself and the club to get silverware and he will give it everything he has got. We will hit a sticky patch at some stage in the season and that's when we the supporters come in and back Craig to the hilt, I can guarantee there will be no prouder man on the planet when we win something this season than Craig Levein and I will have to buy the tight git a drink again.

Slightly off topic, but is there a reason all the other monthly awards have been announced for August but not Premiership manager? I assume Craig is a shoe-in and the announcement was delayed because of his illness, but this is Scottish football...

Edited by Guest

Top OP.  I too have eaten my humble pie and I dont think I've ever felt better about Hearts than I do right now.

Look after your health though Craig.  Get the hairy bloke and the others doing all the leg work.

Bridge of Djoum
3 hours ago, Sarah O said:

See when we win at Ibrox next month... 

:scenes:

You better start the match thread. Also, another bold hammering prediction, the likes of your classic before the 4-0 handed to Celtic.

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Slightly off topic, but is there a reason all the other monthly awards have been announced for August but not Premiership manager? I assume Craig is a shoe-in and the announcement was delayed because of his illness, but this is Scottish football...

Unless they give it to Sir Gerrard of Ibrox for getting sevco into Europe proper for the first time ever...?

2 hours ago, New York Fleapit said:

You better start the match thread. Also, another bold hammering prediction, the likes of your classic before the 4-0 handed to Celtic.

I honestly can’t see how we’ll lose that match.

:jjyay: 

21 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Think it can be important in signing a player. If a player is trying to weigh up two similar offers than being able to offer a unique history and identity can make a player feel proud to play for them.

Levein plays a big part, but I notice how many interviews with new players, the new players make sure to mention Austin. 

That's true, and another factor that can influence the player is how much he feels wanted by the club.

Sean Clare said in his interview that was on the things that helped convince him to come here.  Craig Wighton said the same, and the fact we were willing to pay a fee for him made him feel wanted. 

Many others have said the same thing, about how Craig spoke to them and seemed to know a lot about them, and sold them his vision for the club and how he wanted them to contribute to that.  I'm sure Austin plays his part in selling the club to the players as well, he speaks very well and is clearly a very smart individual.

Tynecastlesmychurch
6 hours ago, ROCK LOBSTER said:

Craig Levein wants to win where ever he's at, yes he wants to win something with Hearts but he also wants to win for himself. He takes things personally and the flack he got at the Scotland really told on him. He didn't want the managers job here again but wanted to help rebuild the club and make us secure again and he is well on the way to doing that. When he took the managers job again he was under fire from all sides because of the Cathro appointment and the way we were playing, I personally didn't think he had the drive left in him to succeed as a manager until the Hamilton game when he got sent to the stand then I knew the old Craig was back. Let me tell you this, he fancies our chances, he wont say it in public, he's not that stupid to leave himself wide open again but he knows this is a chance for himself and the club to get silverware and he will give it everything he has got. We will hit a sticky patch at some stage in the season and that's when we the supporters come in and back Craig to the hilt, I can guarantee there will be no prouder man on the planet when we win something this season than Craig Levein and I will have to buy the tight git a drink again.

Great post!  Love hearing all of that. I loved seeing how he did gradually rediscover the fire! Maybe it wasnt gradual maybe it was one moment. But for me the natural order interview he gave. Everything he said about not liking hibs doing well etc. And he new full well old yella teeth wouldnt be too pleased about that either! He defended those comments too. And lets not forget everyone else he took on Brenda, broon etc again knowing fine well hed be attacked by the media for it! Hes been mightily entertaining and if thats not enough for our fans to back him we can just look at the progress being made! I sit right on the half way line slap bang in the middle of section D and at the end of the celtic game I saw the massive hug he gave both Haring and Lee. I can definitely sense the spirit around this team. I dont know where well finish im supremely confident of top four and also confident of our chances of winning one of the cups this season. But who knows maybe we can win it either way Im backing our manager now and ill still be backing him when times get tough. But I certainly hope youll be buying him a drink come the end of this season!

8 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

That is an added advantage for us. 

If either manager continues to stumble it could take one or (heaven forbid), both out of the race...