give yourself plenty time

would be too easy just to scoot round

3 hours ago, the general said:

give yourself plenty time

would be too easy just to scoot round

Will do. Plan is this in the morning, lunch and The Pieman Cometh at 3pm

Lobey Dosser
On 03/07/2018 at 10:26, scott herbertson said:

Trash Can Sinatras deserve a mention too - many years and a few very good songs.

Weightlifting is one of my all time favourite albums. The title track is beautiful. Lyrically, they are right up there. 

Never a mention of the massively underrated ac acoustics in these things. 

Just watched on bbc2 enjoyed it but let's hope they feature some Glasgow bands next week?? Only jesting

Edited by Turkishcap

Roxy Hearts
On 10/07/2018 at 11:10, Boris said:

A typo, I guess, as you mean The Byrds, rather than Ronnie Wood's 60's R&B group The Birds?

Yes.

No mention of The Average White Band yet?  Peasants...

First page Boris. ?

the general
21 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Will do. Plan is this in the morning, lunch and The Pieman Cometh at 3pm

good shout ... I went to Ting Thai for lunch

Roxy Hearts

Middle of the road. Good wee pop band in the 70's. Have a look on YouTube and a you can see where ABBA got their influence. ?

20 hours ago, Turkishcap said:

Just watched on bbc2 enjoyed it but let's hope they feature some Glasgow bands next week?? Only jesting

Said to the wife while watching it, I wonder how long it'll take before we get the working class self-mythologising weegie crap. Fortunately I didn't have to wait too long.

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched the last episode of this (taped them). Enjoyed it a lot. Although I’ve heard of B&S and The Beta Band and Teenage Fanclub, I don’t know where to start. Other than Spotify playlists, can anyone recommend particular tracks these bands have done? 

23 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Just watched the last episode of this (taped them). Enjoyed it a lot. Although I’ve heard of B&S and The Beta Band and Teenage Fanclub, I don’t know where to start. Other than Spotify playlists, can anyone recommend particular tracks these bands have done? 

B&S - try If You're Feeling Sinister or Push Barman To Open Old Wounds 

Beta Band - The Three EPs or Hot Shots 2

Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque or Grand Prix probably the best place to start, but in reality all their albums are tremendous. 

I enjoyed seeing Mogwai on there too.  It was interesting to get an insight into small labels like Chemical Underground.

Need to find time to go to the exhibition now.

Not extensively in-depth as there's too much to cover but good to see they opened up some peoples eyes to the talent of Simple Minds.

I suppose it depends what age you are but a lot of people think they started from Don't You or Alive and Kicking. Which Mogwai themselves highlighted. 

I just like their whole journey from punk, art rock/new wave to their big stadium days. A band shouldn't be samey. 

On 03/08/2018 at 08:13, Craig_ said:

B&S - try If You're Feeling Sinister or Push Barman To Open Old Wounds 

Beta Band - The Three EPs or Hot Shots 2

Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque or Grand Prix probably the best place to start, but in reality all their albums are tremendous. 

Cheers for this Craig. Sorry bud, meant to reply to you yesterday but forgot?

Tell you what, I’ve fallen in love with The Boy With The Arab Strap. If that’s an indication of what TF has to offer I reckon I’m in for a right treat. ??

Went along to the exhibit earlier this week and it was excellent. Brought back a lot of fond memories of gigs and getting into music when I was a teenager. 

Must visit attraction of Edinburgh whilst it's on imo.

been here before
1 minute ago, JamboX2 said:

Went along to the exhibit earlier this week and it was excellent. Brought back a lot of fond memories of gigs and getting into music when I was a teenager. 

Must visit attraction of Edinburgh whilst it's on imo.

Aye. We went up a couple of weeks ago. Took us about 3 hours to go round it all and thats not includung a half hour break for a cup of tea.

1 minute ago, been here before said:

Aye. We went up a couple of weeks ago. Took us about 3 hours to go round it all and thats not includung a half hour break for a cup of tea.

I wasn't nearly as long as 3 hours but I was in there longer than I'd planned to be! So much to see and hear. 

Thought the set up - film and music stations - were excellent to be honest. Really well thought out and planned. Credit to NMS.

2 hours ago, JamboX2 said:

I wasn't nearly as long as 3 hours but I was in there longer than I'd planned to be! So much to see and hear. 

Thought the set up - film and music stations - were excellent to be honest. Really well thought out and planned. Credit to NMS.

Who is running it? 

22 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Who is running it? 

National Museums of Scotland. It's in the Museum on Chambers street. It'sin conjunction with the BBC mind :laugh:

Edited by JamboX2

Just now, JamboX2 said:

National Museums of Scotland. It's in the Museum on Chambers street. 

Cheers 

been here before
10 hours ago, JamboX2 said:

In all honestly I could have spent a lot longer if Id managed to get into the case that had Sharleen Spiteri's leather suit in it.

7 hours ago, been here before said:

In all honestly I could have spent a lot longer if Id managed to get into the case that had Sharleen Spiteri's leather suit in it.

:sweeet:

Wouldn't we all?! 

• 3 months later...

There is a museum late on a week tomorrow... 20 quid and you get bands.silent disco etc etc and access to the exhibition 

A great deal

• 5 months later...

Just watched rise of the misfits on BBC Scotland.  Some talent comes out of this wee place of ours.

Episode dedicated to Scott Hutchison.

Edited by ri Alban

Take me out- Franz Ferdinand is probably the last song to make me sit up a think, wow! Wtf!?! Magic!