The lack of variety in our new signings, again.

Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

For a while now there has been the debates about who signs the players and what agent/agency they come from. 

For me it appears the thing lacking the most in the whole process is imagination, 3 managers in past two years and so far this window the signing targets seem to be a repetition of the past. 

Surely someone needs to see we are crying out for creativity and pace in the team! 

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Walter Bishop said:

For a while now there has been the debates about who signs the players and what agent/agency they come from. 

For me it appears the thing lacking the most in the whole process is imagination, 3 managers in past two years and so far this window the signings seem to be a repetition of the past. 

Surely someone needs to see we are crying out for creativity and pace in the team! 

The Man Utd loan signing seemingly has loads of pace, and CL has already said he is looking to sign a creative midfielder.

The young lad from man utd looks to be pacey, also still plenty of time left for a creative pacey player to come in! Chill

Walter Bishop
Just now, Barack said:

Demetri Mitchell is a repeat of who, exactly? 

Similar back ground to Smith-Brown who actually had more experience, Yeah he has been injured alot but not been a great signing. 

Walter Bishop
1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

The Man Utd loan signing seemingly has loads of pace, and CL has already said he is looking to sign a creative midfielder.

This has to be a priority. 

3 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Similar back ground to Smith-Brown who actually had more experience, Yeah he has been injured alot but not been a great signing. 

Impossible to judge if Smith-Brown was a good signing as he was quickly long term injured.  When he did play I thought he showed a bit of class.

Just now, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Think need to wait at least till window shuts before having a pop 

Exactly.

Walter Bishop
2 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Have we signed anyone yet?

Apologies, changed it to signing targets. 

De Kogel looks like another version of - Lafferty, Stockton, Sammon. 

Mitchell - Not many youth EPL players have been a success when they have come up to play here.  If he signs hopefully he bucks the trend, certainly another who looks good on youtube. 

7 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

For me it appears the thing lacking the most in the whole process is imagination, 3 managers in past two years and so far this window the signing targets seem to be a repetition of the past. 

If it's variety you are after then I suggest a wee trip to the London Palladium.

Walter Bishop
1 minute ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Definitely not having a pop, far from it. Apologies if it comes across like that. 

The window closed already ? Jeez that was a quick month. I don’t get why everything has to be so negative in some people’s eyes. 11th of January- :rolleyes4: Players and manager judged. 

Walter Bishop
2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

If it's variety you are after then I suggest a wee trip to the London Palladium.

A very Bobby Williamson like statement! 

1 minute ago, Walter Bishop said:

A very Bobby Williamson like statement! 

We're doomed Walter I tell ye. We're doomed.

It's literally impossible to know who or what will work in advance, I'm just glad that we seem to be trying to address the problem areas in the team

11 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

There has been much justifiable criticism over some of our signings in the past couple of years. Smith-Brown was just unlucky imo. He hadn't had an injury sequence in Holland. 

I thought he looked promising in the Newcastle friendly. Just one that was jinxed unfortunately 

Not sure it could be deemed a bad signing signing. An unlucky one certainly 

17 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Last Question on the minutes from our latest AGM might help.

Q21 How does the recruitment system work? Who identifies the gaps in the team and who identifies appropriate targets? Who has the ultimate say regarding what is done? A21 Craig Levein Our targets are identified through discussion.

CL replies:

Previously as Director of Football, my job was to support the Head Coach. If he identified a target and it all made sense, then I would support this and go ahead and negotiate with agents, arrange a visit to Tynecastle and then try to get the deal over the line. Now, I sit down with Austin Macphee, Jon Daly and Liam Fox and we discuss what we need and where we are likely to find what we need. We have just recruited 3 new scouts, so along with John Murray and via the use of recruitment technology which we now have access to, we can readily identify targets. The scouts will then try to watch the target and we pull together our target priorities from there. I will then contact the agent to see if a deal can be done. I believe the character of the player is important and we need to understand this area better, so this comes from discussion and direct meetings.

13 minutes ago, Barack said:

Walter, I can’t help but sense a touch of melancholy, with some of your posts over the last few months.

Hopefully your faith gets restored soon.

Melancholy wouldn’t be the word i would use to describe his posts.

pile of shite is more apt!!

Walter Bishop
Just now, wavydavy said:

Last Question on the minutes from our latest AGM might help.

Q21 How does the recruitment system work? Who identifies the gaps in the team and who identifies appropriate targets? Who has the ultimate say regarding what is done? A21 Craig Levein Our targets are identified through discussion.

CL replies:

Previously as Director of Football, my job was to support the Head Coach. If he identified a target and it all made sense, then I would support this and go ahead and negotiate with agents, arrange a visit to Tynecastle and then try to get the deal over the line. Now, I sit down with Austin Macphee, Jon Daly and Liam Fox and we discuss what we need and where we are likely to find what we need. We have just recruited 3 new scouts, so along with John Murray and via the use of recruitment technology which we now have access to, we can readily identify targets. The scouts will then try to watch the target and we pull together our target priorities from there. I will then contact the agent to see if a deal can be done. I believe the character of the player is important and we need to understand this area better, so this comes from discussion and direct meetings.

:thumbsup:

Walter Bishop
Just now, 1874robbo said:

Melancholy wouldn’t be the word i would use to describe his posts.

pile of shite is more apt!!

:greatpost:

Dusk_Till_Dawn

We’re evidently working to a very tight budget and that’s been the case for a while. This window was hardly going to be spectacular. Hopefully see some proper action in the summer

SuperstarSteve

I’m happy to wait till the window shuts before having a go.

the Man Utd lad hopefully is a coup, although originally a winger he was pushing for a first Team place last season and made his debut, that has to give the lad some motivation to come to the club and do well. 

the big Dutch lad signs and all that is a missing is a creative midfielder and we we’ve got 20+ days to get the right man in, Listening to Levein though it sounds like he’s identified his man and is likely to bring in him before the hibs game.

28 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Bit unfair to assume Mitchell will be a flop because Smith Brown has been injured.

The Future's Maroon
24 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Need to wait till we actually sign players before having a pop, terrible thread.

Walter Bishop
Just now, Ryder said:

Bit unfair to assume Mitchell will be a flop because Smith Brown has been injured.

Wasn't implying he would be a flop at all,  Just concerned at lack of playing time and wonder if a more experienced player (or stick with Brandon/Smith) would be better option and look to strengthen elsewhere. 

I hope the lad signs and turns out be a star. 

Walter Bishop
2 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Need to wait till we actually sign players before having a pop, terrible thread.

2 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

"Signing targets"

Not having a pop either. Just stating that our signings and current targets all seem to be very similar type players. Hardly a crime. 

34 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

One signing so far. A young player with an excellent reputation   on loan from Man U. in a position we have been crying out for someone in.  I think I'll wait before passing judgement until I see who the others coming in are.

Walter Bishop
15 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Far superior to anything you’ve written on this thread.

so thank you.

:greatpost:

The Future's Maroon

"Signing targets"

Not having a pop either. Just stating that our signings and current targets all seem to be very similar type players. Hardly a crime. 

Ok, maybe just a badly worded opening post the then Walter.

3 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

I’m happy to wait till the window shuts before having a go.

the Man Utd lad hopefully is a coup, although originally a winger he was pushing for a first Team place last season and made his debut, that has to give the lad some motivation to come to the club and do well. 

the big Dutch lad signs and all that is a missing is a creative midfielder and we we’ve got 20+ days to get the right man in, Listening to Levein though it sounds like he’s identified his man and is likely to bring in him before the hibs game.

People seem to assume a top class 'creative' player is easy to find . 

Tziolis certainly was but didn't fancy it . Despite what people say Martin is too . 

1 minute ago, Ryder said:

Yes must admit I'm struggling with that logic too

"Signing targets"

How do you know? Have you seen them play? Or are you one of those people who watches a game with eyes wide shut?

Walter Bishop
Just now, The Future's Maroon said:

Ok, maybe just a badly worded opening post the then Walter.

Maybe, would like to see us think out the box a wee bit more. Thought Milinkovic could be the man, hopefully he still is. 

magicjohnston

Not even 2 weeks into January, where we currently haven’t officially signed anyone. And the op has a pop at who we’ve signed!? surely on the wind up?! Atleast wait until the window shuts before you spout rubbish!

25 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

What a thread.

Indeed.  But it shouldn't really come as a surprise.  Gotta feel sorry for the OP as he hasn't had a Hearts defeat recently to post about. 

44 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Yes!

That's what Craig Levein said at the end of the year.

Who do you recommend that's within our budget?

Archived