Jump to content

'The Alex Salmond Show' - On Russia Today


Jambo-Jimbo
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Hunky Dory said:

 

Agreed. But that doesn’t tie in the original post.

 

Yes it does. Farage won in the end. The UK is leaving the EU. Salmond lost, Scotland is still in the UK. One is a winner and one is a loser.

 

Jeez

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • JamboX2

    17

  • Phil Dunphy

    14

  • Space Mackerel

    15

  • Roxy Hearts

    21

16 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

 

Some of us of course have never voted SNP but you keep throwing your wild generalizations out there. Labour is more of a cult than the SNP has ever been.

 

You seem quite offended, even though you state my post wasn't aimed at you.

 

I didn't vote Labour in the last election champ.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, pablo said:

 

Yes it does. Farage won in the end. The UK is leaving the EU. Salmond lost, Scotland is still in the UK. One is a winner and one is a loser.

 

Jeez

 

Its pretty clear

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

Take a break from the site for a few months and it’s still the same old regurgitated unionist tripe that’s rattling around polluting the place.

 

Feel free to leave again then, if this place is so unpleasant for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

He's chairing a programme not running for office in Russia. Maybe it's because we share the same Saint and they do like Rabbie Burns

 

Lighten up JX2 you sound like a no voting sore winner but I know you voted yes.

 

Salmond is the key culprit for the defeat in 2014 and his actions since have done him or the yes movement no favours. The SNP surge was Sturgeon. He has rode a wave.

 

My issue is there's a lot of duplicity here and a bit of smoke and mirrors. If you look into the company he set up (Slainge Media Ltd) there's a few startling revelations to cast doubt on his "editorial independence" on RT.

 

1. He says it was a company set up after the success of his show in order to meet the request for a permanent show. Check Companies House (we all can for free) https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SC572513. Set up before the Fringe run in July.

 

2. The company has a share capital of £2. Two share holders - Mr Salmond and Tasmina Ahmed Sheikh. A £1 each. There are no standard securities, unsecured loans or cautionary obligations on the company. So the operating budget will be a £2 as that is the operating budget of Slainte Media Ltd. The statement from Salmond is he will produce the show and sell it to RT. On £2? Really?

 

I'd add there is an ability to underwrite the shareholding. But that is nearly always (to secure a creditors credit) matched by a standard security. None are registered. These must be registered against the company on CH within 21 days. But this show is apparently already being produced.

 

3. If we put these two together the question to be asked is where is the funding to make a show for RT coming from if the company has a capital of £2? If it is RT, then he and Tasmina Ahmed Sheikh are being paid by RT to make a show by RT and packaged as being by his company then he will be bound to adhere to RT editorial guidelines and therefore not free to speak his mind - as he has claimed.

 

There's a bit to this if the surface is scratched. It's clearly why Sturgeon has moved to distance herself from him yesterday and by virtue the SNP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thunderstruck
12 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

They are both still state broadcasters, and have their own set agendas.

 

Here’s a fact for you. FIFTY Labour, THIRTY SEVEN Tory and SEVEN Lib Dem's have appeared on RT or Sputnik of late.

 

Many of the same individuals decrying Salmond were among that lot. Absolute hypocrites.

 

Pretty pointless fact Unless they all had their own “show”. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, pablo said:

 

Yes it does. Farage won in the end. The UK is leaving the EU. Salmond lost, Scotland is still in the UK. One is a winner and one is a loser.

 

Jeez

 

How many elections has Salmond stood in compared to Farage, and how many have they individually won? You compared the two and labelled Salmond as the supposed loser.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

 

Pretty pointless fact Unless they all had their own “show”. 

 

What’s the difference?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

Of course it’s party political.

 

Corbyn was on RT not that long back, as the leader of the opposition. No discussion. Salmond’s a member of the public. He can do what he wants.

 

The problem here is that pro-Independence voices are gaining exposure on media outlets that is out with the control of the unionist arm.

 

RT is no worse than the Mail, Sky, or the BBC. They actually present a fairer insight into UK-US foreign policy than any of the afore mentioned three.

1. I agree - Corbyn and his shadow cabinet shouldn't be on RT. 

 

2. Salmond can do what he wants. But shouldn't to the detriment of his party and movement. He's very closely linked in the public mind to the SNP. So what he says and does carries weight. It's why he gets gigs on BBCQT, Newsnight, Daily/Sunday Politics as a spokesperson sanctioned by the SNP. So yes he's free to do what he likes but you'd have hoped he'd maybe do things that may not pull him into disrepute and discredit himself and by association (right or wrong) his party.

 

3. Pro-Yes voices are present in multiple media outlets in the UK. Writers in major broadsheets and red tops. A new newspaper. A sunday paper. Repeated prominent Yes people on BBC Scotland radio. SNP politicians on panels for various major political shows. There is actually balance and plurality of opinions in the media. 

 

4. (a) "the Mail, Sky, or the BBC" - The Mail is a private organisation with an independent editorial line bought by a significant number of people in Scotland. Sky and the BBC are equally editorially independent of their financial backers - like the Mail or Evening News for that. None of their backers have bern accused of the murder and silencing of journslists.

 

(b) "present a fairer insight into UK-US foreign policy" - Or a Russian view of UK-US and western foreign policy. Like I say, when did RT take a questioning view on the rights and wrongs of Russian backed militias in Donetsk or of annexing Crimea?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

 

Seats. The comparison was there.

 

Won seats yes. Not elections as leader. Did Kinnock win in 1987 or 92? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

 

I'm interested in what sort of media broadcasting/ news the SNP wants in an independent Scotland

 

One that is independent? That holds the powerful including Governments to account?

 

I understand that the BBC and others were seen as the establishment in the independence campaign and 'supported the Union' perhaps a bit like they favour the EU over Brexit.

 

What do they want?

 

Certainly Russia Today / RT was at worst uncritical of the take over by Russia of Crimea from Ukraine. It doesn't give a platform to the Russian oposition though it does to those critical of the US and the West.

 

No harm in the Salmond show. But there are wider questions. What does the SNP / independence campaign want in a Media?

 

 

Free access to Coronation Street, Eastenders and Match of the day?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

 

What’s the difference?

 

Being interviewed by a journalist in the lobby of Holyrood for an opinion and being paid by their broadcaster to produce a show is different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, JamboX2 said:

1. I agree - Corbyn and his shadow cabinet shouldn't be on RT. 

 

2. Salmond can do what he wants. But shouldn't to the detriment of his party and movement. He's very closely linked in the public mind to the SNP. So what he says and does carries weight. It's why he gets gigs on BBCQT, Newsnight, Daily/Sunday Politics as a spokesperson sanctioned by the SNP. So yes he's free to do what he likes but you'd have hoped he'd maybe do things that may not pull him into disrepute and discredit himself and by association (right or wrong) his party.

 

3. Pro-Yes voices are present in multiple media outlets in the UK. Writers in major broadsheets and red tops. A new newspaper. A sunday paper. Repeated prominent Yes people on BBC Scotland radio. SNP politicians on panels for various major political shows. There is actually balance and plurality of opinions in the media. 

 

4. (a) "the Mail, Sky, or the BBC" - The Mail is a private organisation with an independent editorial line bought by a significant number of people in Scotland. Sky and the BBC are equally editorially independent of their financial backers - like the Mail or Evening News for that. None of their backers have bern accused of the murder and silencing of journslists.

 

(b) "present a fairer insight into UK-US foreign policy" - Or a Russian view of UK-US and western foreign policy. Like I say, when did RT take a questioning view on the rights and wrongs of Russian backed militias in Donetsk or of annexing Crimea?

 

Which will surely have to stop, as Sturgeon can't criticise Salmond for him going to RT and still have him as a sanctioned SNP spokesperson.

What a gift and a half that would be to all the other political parties not just in Scotland but in Westminster as well, if he isn't now dumped by the SNP.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ToadKiller Dog

Hysterical nonsense. 

Who gave RT its licence to have a channel the Labour government in 2005

Dont remember any hysteria then. 

Who gave RT a license to have RT UK channel the tory dumbs government! Launched 2014. 

Salmond to host a show question hysteria. 

Old George Foulks woke up to call Salmond a traitor in that bastion of freedom and impartial journalism the daily express (says it all). 

Personally I wouldn't have made the same choice as Salmond but his show is an irrelevance in comparison to the likes of power that people like Paul Dacre, Murdoch and the BBC have over shaping public opinion and policy in the UK 

 

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2017/11/11/rts-are-not-endorsements/

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Hysterical nonsense. 

Who gave RT its licence to have a channel the Labour government in 2005

Dont remember any hysteria then. 

Who gave RT a license to have RT UK channel the tory dumbs government! Launched 2014. 

Salmond to host a show question hysteria. 

Old George Foulks woke up to call Salmond a traitor in that bastion of freedom and impartial journalism the daily express (says it all). 

Personally I wouldn't have made the same choice as Salmond but his show is an irrelevance in comparison to the likes of power that people like Paul Dacre, Murdoch and the BBC have over shaping public opinion and policy in the UK 

 

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2017/11/11/rts-are-not-endorsements/

 

 

 

Nothing wrong with a commitment to media plurality and allowing RT to broadcast. More an issue of their backers and opting to jump into bed with them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keep it going Eck.  The halfwits think it’s great to wind up the majority.   But all it does is drive middle-ground  votes away.   Go Eck and Vladimir!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JamboX2 said:

Take you've missed the coverage of the paradise papers, harrasment scandals, Patel fiasco and Johnson... not to mention their coverage of the Brexit shambles. Regularly asking tough questions and breaking these types of stories. Even against their own organisation.

 

When have RT been broke stories that cast scrutiny of Putin on press freedom? Or Russian actions in Syria or Ukraine? The persecution of the LGBT community? 

 

The BBC has editorial independence in journalism from their paymasters (ultimately the licence payer), the state and of the BBC Trust. Like Sky News do. Like CNN. F24 in France etc.

 

RT has repeatedly shown it doesn't. By it's actions. Added to that they have recently registered in the USA as a foreign state agency.

 

So the differences are pretty substantial. Which makes this a lapse of judgement and ut is one for any mainstream UK politician. It used to be the home of Galloway and Farage. Leave them to it as increasingly it's clear these two have had a degree of Kremlin funding through various other means.

Raise you, BBC Gavin Esler Vote no Borders, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, deesidejambo said:

Keep it going Eck.  The halfwits think it’s great to wind up the majority.   But all it does is drive middle-ground  votes away.   Go Eck and Vladimir!

 

That is a good question 

 

Fight might have been lost 

 

For a generation anway

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thunderstruck

If Salmondovich takes requests for music on his show do you think we could get him to play Roy Orbison’s “It’s over”, then Talking Heads’ “Once in a lifetime”. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd have thought that those criticising Salmond should really be pleased, given RTs apparent image amongst same voices. 

 

Irrespective of broadcaster, it seems more a wish to silence Salmond. No one is forcing anyone to watch this! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

65877834-D0C1-46CF-B08C-E83FD9021607.jpeg

Only source for that story was the state broadcaster Itar-Tass. I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's some of the types of attitudes on this thread that turned me to independence a long time ago. Playing the man as usual.

 

I know we all do it but he doesn't represent every thought for Scots and we did vote for independence it was others who lost it for us. That includes propaganda.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Geoff the Mince

For me anyone appearing on RT is due criticism (Nat or Brit)

 

This is a channel which for 5 yrs has backed Assad and Russians actions resulting in 100'000s of civilian deaths,

 

not Jihadis civilians !

 

Wheres  thier moral compass for taking blood money ?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thunderstruck
10 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

It's some of the types of attitudes on this thread that turned me to independence a long time ago. Playing the man as usual.

 

I know we all do it but he doesn't represent every thought for Scots and we did vote for independence it was others who lost it for us. That includes propaganda.

 

Everybody views the world, the media and politics through the prism of their own prejudices and we can make allowances for that. Delusion (highlighted) on the other hand....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Thunderstruck said:

 

Everybody views the world, the media and politics through the prism of their own prejudices and we can make allowances for that. Delusion (highlighted) on the other hand....

Scots  did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thunderstruck
5 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Demographics. Not prejudices.

 

Wrong again, it’s your prejudiced, narrow view that cons you into believing nonsensical “analysis”. 

 

If someone with a contrary view had suggested that the Irish demographic had swung the vote to “Yes” in Glasgow, North Lanarkshire and Dundee, you would be scathing of that view. That, however, is a view that has some traction in some bigoted groups. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

 

Wrong again, it’s your prejudiced, narrow view that cons you into believing nonsensical “analysis”. 

 

If someone with a contrary view had suggested that the Irish demographic had swung the vote to “Yes” in Glasgow, North Lanarkshire and Dundee, you would be scathing of that view. That, however, is a view that has some traction in some bigoted groups. 

Irish of which I'm part and Italian. Voted for Brexit. Don't get your point but then you're  a Britnat and  I know your narrowinded point of view.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Hunky Dory said:

Of course it’s party political.

 

Corbyn was on RT not that long back, as the leader of the opposition. No discussion. Salmond’s a member of the public. He can do what he wants.

 

The problem here is that pro-Independence voices are gaining exposure on media outlets that is out with the control of the unionist arm.

 

RT is no worse than the Mail, Sky, or the BBC. They actually present a fairer insight into UK-US foreign policy than any of the afore mentioned three.

Agree. I started watching RT a couple of years ago and found it more believable on most world news areas than the BBC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

 

So there were 2,500,000 non-Scots who voted against independence?

 

That's a new one.

Majority of Scots. Anyway we are where we are so thanks for our current Westminster govt.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

 

So there were 2,500,000 non-Scots who voted against independence?

 

That's a new one.

The majority of Scots voted for independence

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ecks choking or a ride after a few weeks away in London  ..what does he do.. lets face it if he does go for it with his burd death wont be far away just saying likes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jambo1961 said:

Ecks choking or a ride after a few weeks away in London  ..what does he do.. lets face it if he does go for it with his burd death wont be far away just saying likes

Stay off the lager.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Majority of Scots. Anyway we are where we are so thanks for our current Westminster govt.

 

 

8 minutes ago, XB52 said:

The majority of Scots voted for independence

 

Based on what, exactly?

 

If you honestly think the vote was hijacked by non-Scot voters then you're, quite frankly, a dangerous individual.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...