Hearts, 26 years ago, On This Day

Salvator

SATURDAY 23rd March 1991

This was a superbly entertaining Edinburgh derby in which all

four goals ? three for Hearts, one for Hibernian ? were condensed,

misleadingly, into a frenzied nine-minute scoring spree early in the second

half. Misleading, because Hearts were in complete control throughout

and all that stood between Hibernian and complete annihilation was a

quite breathtaking performance from their goalkeeper, Andy Goram.

So much so that after one particularly stupendous save ? the ball clawed

over the bar from eight yards to deny a Scott Crabbe mid-air scissors

kick ? the shed broke into an impromptu chant of ?one Andy Goram?.

Thankfully, Craig Levein, George Wright and John Robertson were

able to find a way past the inspired keeper, Robbo notching his 17th

derby goal. Joe Tortolano managed to sneak a consolation effort past a

largely redundant Nicky Walker.

post-12047-0-80484000-1490260454_thumb.jpg

post-12047-0-08634300-1490260466_thumb.jpg

post-12047-0-82169400-1490260481_thumb.jpg

maroonlegions

We have had a few chances to really smash them . I mean chances to match that 7-0. 

Then came the greatest  derby ever on the 19th of May that put that 7-0 to bed.   HHGH.

Fort Vallance

One Andy Goram ? Unless I'm mistaken it was "Two Andy Gorams" as he'd had an article in the press claiming he had a personality disorder.

One Andy Goram ? Unless I'm mistaken it was "Two Andy Gorams" as he'd had an article in the press claiming he had a personality disorder.

You are mistaken, the personality disorder came to light years later

Lincon Premier

The two Andy Gorams was because he gained a lot of weight. I just wish we had not taken the foot off in the cup. It should have been 10 , well I would have liked the 8 to really shut them up. FTH

3fingersreid

The two Andy Gorams was because he gained a lot of weight. I just wish we had not taken the foot off in the cup. It should have been 10 , well I would have liked the 8 to really shut them up. FTH

The 2 Andy Gorams came about due to him admitting to having a split personality , the above game was one of the finest goalkeeping displays I've ever seen ( unfortunately)

If only zibbi had been playing that day , we'd have seen another Cowdenbeath score line

Happy days indeed

Pedant alert but the chant was "Andy, Andy give us a wave".

He turned to look at us in the shed but didn't respond. The chant continued and he looked again and gave us a thumbs up.

Cannot overstate how superb he was that day. 3-1 is a handsome derby victory but, for me, that was the one that got away. We might have scored a dozen but for Goram.

Buffalo Bill

There were great scenes in the Shed that day.

One of my all-time favourite derbies.

Pedant alert but the chant was "Andy, Andy give us a wave".

He turned to look at us in the shed but didn't respond. The chant continued and he looked again and gave us a thumbs up.

Cannot overstate how superb he was that day. 3-1 is a handsome derby victory but, for me, that was the one that got away. We might have scored a dozen but for Goram.

I do remember him turning round and acknowledging the fans ( we were in the School End) but can't be sure of the wording of the chant. I think you're right though, mate.

Goram was unbelievable that day.

The 'One Andy Goram' chant was definitely true. He kind of gave us a suspicious look, as if he was waiting on some further punchline.

I have a work colleague that drinks with Goram occasionally (brave man), & I'll see if he'll ask him about it.

I do remember him turning round and acknowledging the fans ( we were in the School End) but can't be sure of the wording of the chant. I think you're right though, mate.

I think I'm right too, mate, but that doesn't necessarily make it so. The memory and what actually happened aren't always the same. :D

We definitely should have hit double figures, though.

Goram was unbelievable that day.

The 'One Andy Goram' chant was definitely true. He kind of gave us a suspicious look, as if he was waiting on some further punchline.

I have a work colleague that drinks with Goram occasionally (brave man), & I'll see if he'll ask him about it.

I think everyone must have work colleagues that drink with the bold Andrew!

:olly:

alicante jambo

Nicky Walker... Did we not swap him for Craig Nelson? :lol:

Never disliked any hearts player more than nicky walker

Arrogant prick he was.

Joe Tortolano :phface:

They actually call him a legend. I like to think they're being sarcastic but I'm not convinced.

They actually call him a legend. I like to think they're being sarcastic but I'm not convinced.

These tits couldn't even spell 'sarcastic'.

They mean it alright Mart. :fth:

The greatest goalkeeping performance I've ever seen and the save from Crabbe was absolutely incredible.

I think I'm right too, mate, but that doesn't necessarily make it so. The memory and what actually happened aren't always the same. :D

We definitely should have hit double figures, though.

So true.....on both counts, bud.

SwindonJambo

I was there.  Definitely one of my better choices of match to travel North for and my 1st ever visit to the Main Stand.  Poor crowd that day of approx 14,000 IIRC but we certainly wiped the floor with them that day. That was in the days when the original OF & Hibs still got section of the Main Stand and even then, there were a fair few mixed groups dotted around the rest of the stand.  Just imagine trying that nowadays!

queensferryjambo

This was a terrific game. Hearts hammered them for the whole game but thanks to Andy Goram the scoreline stayed low. How Crabbe's volleys never went in is incredible.

Oh and this game wasn't television so for anyone who wasn't there unbelievably Joe Tortolano's goal was genuinely tremendous well guided thumping header.

I used to have the Pink news from this game (but donated it to Hearts fundraising) I am sure it said Hibs were lucky to have not conceded 10 that day.

It is pictured below - Hearts Triumph - Levein sparks goal rush :)

17436041_10212553772506363_2565418795737

Cupar Jambo

Without doubt one of if not the best display of goalkeeping I've seen anywhere, with Goram not there it would have been very close to double figures. Always stood behind goals at the school end and had a great view of what went on that day

PeterintheRain

We've already scored 8 (eight) against them in a league match. And 10 in the grand opening of fester road stadium.   It wouldn't make any difference as they'd just invent a reason why our win didn't really count.  Just like they did after the cup semi and final slaughters.

Placid Casual

... all that stood between Hibernian and complete annihilation was a

quite breathtaking performance from their goalkeeper, Andy Goram.

So much so that after one particularly stupendous save ? the ball clawed

over the bar from eight yards to deny a Scott Crabbe mid-air scissors

kick ? the shed broke into an impromptu chant of ?one Andy Goram?.

It must have been some performance. Our fans very rarely compliment opposing players. Which is how it should be of course.

I remember once Brian Laudrup curled one in the top corner against us at Tynecastle. Some Hearts fan a couple of rows down stood up and applauded the goal, only to be met with "SIT DOWN YOU F**KIN' ****" by someone that sat nearby :lol:

It must have been some performance. Our fans very rarely compliment opposing players. Which is how it should be of course.

I remember once Brian Laudrup curled one in the top corner against us at Tynecastle. Some Hearts fan a couple of rows down stood up and applauded the goal, only to be met with "SIT DOWN YOU F**KIN' ****" by someone that sat nearby :lol:

Around the time of the "Goram derby" a superb bit of skill by Elliott of Celtic drew a burst of applause in the shed. Iirc, he cut out a flighted pass toward the corner flag, brought the ball down while simultaneously turning a Hearts player inside out, then calmly strode away.

Don't recall the lads first name, ottomh, but he was a black lad from England. Central defender. A really good one.

millerjames398

Around the time of the "Goram derby" a superb bit of skill by Elliott of Celtic drew a burst of applause in the shed. Iirc, he cut out a flighted pass toward the corner flag, brought the ball down while simultaneously turning a Hearts player inside out, then calmly strode away.

Don't recall the lads first name, ottomh, but he was a black lad from England. Central defender. A really good one.

It was Paul Elliott who played for Celtic back then.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It was Paul Elliott who played for Celtic back then.

Cheers bud.

Paul bloody Elliott.

The only centre back in Scotland that had the wee man (Robbo) in his back pocket game after game.

Unfortunately, this incorporated cup semi-finals.

Robbo hated playing against Elliott.

Paul bloody Elliott.

The only centre back in Scotland that had the wee man (Robbo) in his back pocket game after game.

Unfortunately, this incorporated cup semi-finals.

Robbo hated playing against Elliott.

I'm not one for praising opposition players (far too petty and partisan ?) but Elliott always stood out against us.

I'm not one for praising opposition players (far too petty and partisan ?) but Elliott always stood out against us.

For sure Mart!

Same bloody Celtic team that had 'these two' up front that liked to score against the Hearts in the 88th or 89th feckin minute.

FTC.

millerjames398

I don't think Elliott played for Celtic on our semi defeats in the 80s, sure he signed in August 89 or 90 for them, but a, classy defender none the less, think he headed down to Chelsea after that lot.

Elliot was some player.

On the subject of opposition players getting praise, when was the last time someone got praise during a game at Tynie ?

Off the top of my head, I can only think of Bale who was applauded for a great bit of skill for Spurs fourth.

Any others ?

3fingersreid

The Spurs* keeper in that game Gomes was applauded when he handed his gloves over to a young Hearts fan at the end of that game , nice wee touch from him

The time we played PSG they had a guy called Togo ?? Who was well received as was the St Pats keeper (a game Fenlon played in)

* north londons original and best team ;)

Without doubt Andy Goram was the best keeper I've ever seen play. If he was playing now he'd be worth ridiculous amounts of cash. This wasn't the only game he kept the score down with a one man show. Had it not been for Goram that hibs team would've been relegated.

They had the likes of Milne, Orr, Brian Hamilton absolute dross. Iirc Joe Tortolano came on as sub and scored.

When you compare the Hearts team it really was only Goram that prevented a real doing.

SwindonJambo

I don't think Elliott played for Celtic on our semi defeats in the 80s, sure he signed in August 89 or 90 for them, but a, classy defender none the less, think he headed down to Chelsea after that lot.

He did indeed.  A year or so later, he received a career ending tackle from Dean Saunders, then playing for Liverpool.  It culminated in a very nasty court case.

The Spurs* keeper in that game Gomes was applauded when he handed his gloves over to a young Hearts fan at the end of that game , nice wee touch from him

The time we played PSG they had a guy called Togo ?? Who was well received as was the St Pats keeper (a game Fenlon played in)

PSG player was called Toko, he represented Chad at International level. Thought him, Rocheteau and Susic were just spectacularly good in that game at Tynie

3fingersreid

PSG player was called Toko, he represented Chad at International level. Thought him, Rocheteau and Susic were just spectacularly good in that game at Tynie

That's the fella , :)

was the St Pats keeper Hendo IIRC ??

millerjames398

He did indeed. A year or so later, he received a career ending tackle from Dean Saunders, then playing for Liverpool. It culminated in a very nasty court case.

That's right I remember that now it was his knee that got busted?, I'm sure if he'd not received that injury he would have been not too far from Graham taylors England squads.

i wish jj was my dad

The fat terrorist lover was out of this world that day. One of many world class performances. We really could have been in double figures and crabbo could have done a de vries

The fat terrorist lover was out of this world that day. One of many world class performances. We really could have been in double figures and crabbo could have done a de vries

A crime that Crabbo never scored against the vermin in his Hearts career. It was down to Goram

Tommy Brown

I was in Goram's company recently, he is a friend of a friend.

He was not the car crash I expected, a right bloody blue nosed hun though.

But I brought up this in conversation. He thought we were taking the piss, but the longer it went he realized we were serious. (I say "we", I wasn't actually at the game).

He remembers it well.

Paul Elliott was a class act. Very intelligent and articulate guy also.

Celtic signed him from Pisa. His was the transfer where one of the clowns involved in Celtic, who almost led them to oblivion pre Fergus, was said to have been walking around Glasgow with c. ?500,000 in cash in a briefcase to in some way pay someone as part of that deal.

Goram was unbelievable that day. He got quite an ovation from our fans at full time.

Archived