Who should be captain?

wattie exploited

wattie exploited

after watching another poor game from Kitchen who would you have as Captain ?

he is never Captain Materiel I would like to see  Malaury Martin  as team Captain !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo 4 Ever

• wattie exploited

• Bazzas right boot

• Hercules

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Kitchen's worst game in maroon, however lest we forget some of his heroic performances against Celtic etc. Good player verging on great player if the system fits him. However, I feel like tonight showed he has no place in a Hearts team against teams we need to go out and break down and beat. Love Perry but if he was moved on I wouldn't be totally gutted.

On the flipside, folk questioning his leadership need to have a look at themselves.

Edited by Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

chester copperpot

Funny my laddie said Martin last night and when he pointed it out to me I kind of agreed.

I was busy watching Currie most of the night however when my laddie said that Martin was organising the midfield I saw him shout instructions a few times to Rory and Bjorn along with the midfield and they seemed to respond to him quite well.

His grasp of the English language will be pretty good too so I don't see no reason he can't lead the team and it may let Perry get some form back.

I can see Martin being a mainstay of the midfield this season at least so I cannot see any harm in trying this.

Back of the Bus

Martin.

Did more shouting and direction last night that kitchen has done all season.

This. Martin adopted the captain role on the park last night and was being listened to. It was good to see.

I thought he was just ok last night but I'm sorry to say don't think he's playing nearly well enough. He covers a hell of a lot of ground though and does unsettle the opposition, but his distribution is not attractive to watch.

Cathro is going to have a rather big decision to make when Djoum comes back.

I would say your thread title is a bit out of order though. Last thing we need (and the team) is another Sammon situation with getting on a particular players back. The players need to be supported in a very vital time. Thought the stands were decent and thankfully didn't turn when we went 0-1 down.

Gene Parmesan

Kitchen stank the place up for 55-60 minutes yet again. But...after that he actually came on to a game.

Johnsen, Martin and Walker need credit for the creativity and Nicholson gave us much needed width, but Kitchen actually got us on the front foot for the first time in ages and the difference really showed.

I'm not writing Kitchen off. He's got a long way to go to reach the standards we need, but he has the ability to get there.

Johnny Two Pies

It's not that important who is captain, what matters is that there are several leaders in the team who can organise and motivate on the field, particularly when things aren't going right. There were a number of games recently where that was totally missing (the Aberdeen game in particular), all of the players seemed to be looking around, but no one took hold of the situation. I think Hughes and Martin do offer the sort of leadership we need, particularly as they settle in to the club and the game here, and get match sharp. Maybe Cowie too if he comes back into the team. Used to talk about the 'spine' of a team (keeper, CB, CM, and striker), Hughes and Martin are the start of that for Cathro I think.

Kitchen's decent, but can be infuriating.  There were a couple of times last night when he had the option to play a ball wide but instead took the easier and more negative option.  But he's got a good touch and he doesn't get carried away.  Maybe that last bit is part of the issue - maybe he could do with showing a wee bit more controlled aggression.  There were signs of it in the later stages.

I'm not sure he's captain material, though.  Wouldn't be surprised if he retains it to the end of the season, at which point it will be given to Martin if he continues to carry on as he did last night.

Kitchen is captian no point changing it. You can still be a leader on the park without a title and as it stands we need 11 of them each week and don't have many. The title is irrelevant they should all be aware of what's required and work as a team.

The captain should obviously be an automatic first name on the team sheet player and Kitchen is not good enough to be that for us. Turns out that he was a poor choice by Neilson.

The new managers will know who is the most inspirational, must play when fit player in the squad.

That's who it should be.

Sub4TiddlerMurray

Wattie yer thread title is piss

No harm in a debate about Kitchen's performance but dumping on him publicly is piss poor. The team need confidence to really click

Cowie if he is going to play every game.

Hughes is an option if he gets a long term deal.

Berra is the story is true is a good shout too.

siegementality

Kitchen shouldn't even be in he team never mind captain. Jamie Walker (unless Berra signs) for me. We need someone who understands what playing for this club means to drive us through this rebuilding stage.

Edited by siegementality

Kitchen's worst game in maroon, however lest we forget some of his heroic performances against Celtic etc. Good player verging on great player if the system fits him. However, I feel like tonight showed he has no place in a Hearts team against teams we need to go out and break down and beat. Love Perry but if he was moved on I wouldn't be totally gutted.

On the flipside, folk questioning his leadership need to have a look at themselves.

I have to presume you're taking the pish.

Kitchen merely serves to illustrate the regression that Neilson presided over. Kitchen an upgrade on Gomis? I think not. The squad in the Championship looks stronger than what we've witnessed in the intervening 18 months.

Many fans have got Kitchen well sussed and I'm not sure he's recovering. There's absolutely no football in him whatsoever

Kitchen shouldn't even be in he team never mind captain. Jamie Walker (unless Berra signs) for me. We need someone who understands what playing for this club means to drive us through this rebuilding stage.

I get what you're saying but I wouldn't pick Walker. Seems to be one of the quietest out there just getting on with his own game.

*Que the jokes about me wanting a captain who just shouts a lot :lol:

We don't seem to be blessed with leaders at the moment. Martin seems the most likely based on what I've seen so far.

tartofmidlothian

Interesting the shouts for Martin, I wish I'd seen him last night.

Cowie was great as captain, I expect Hughes will have a lot of influence too.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

I have to presume you're taking the pish.

Kitchen merely serves to illustrate the regression that Neilson presided over. Kitchen an upgrade on Gomis? I think not. The squad in the Championship looks stronger than what we've witnessed in the intervening 18 months.

Many fans have got Kitchen well sussed and I'm not sure he's recovering. There's absolutely no football in him whatsoever

His 5 caps at age 24 for the US say otherwise. Poor game last night but the guy is quality.

Still trying to figure out why he was given the captaincy in the first place?

Ozturk and Kitchen were both poor decisions

Robbie had his own ideas and Kitchen certainly sums up quite a bit on Robbie's approach to the game.

Cathro will change it - easier if Kitchen goes.

Might be a surprise

Maybe one of the younger players though Hughes is an obvious candidate just now

Absolutely no reason to think Martin is any sort of Captain nor any evidence to suggest he has any of the right qualities.

He is just new and a decent player.

Beyond that is nonsense.

His 5 caps at age 24 for the US say otherwise. Poor game last night but the guy is quality.

We'll have to agree to disagree. He offers nothing in my view and is a terrible captain.

I remain hopeful someone is gullible enough to pay us a fee this month and he moves on

The point some are making is that he can be quality in the right team, the way hearts seem to want to go and are shaping up isn't for him though. Good player, just not in this team at this point in time, trying to play the way we want to play. It happens, just because someone is a good player doesn't mean he will perform well in the team.

Martin showed a lot of leadership last night, not just organising/cajoling/encouraging the team, his actions in trying to get the crowd involved and the way he celebrated his/the goals making sure the other players involved got their share of the cheers/applause was excellent. He also looks like a player and one that will only get better. Saying that, I still like cb to be captain, driving from the back.

Martin for me, he was directing the game yesterday anyway so make him captain. I really liked Kitchen when he first came but he has gone totally off the boil in recent games

I get what you're saying but I wouldn't pick Walker. Seems to be one of the quietest out there just getting on with his own game.

*Que the jokes about me wanting a captain who just shouts a lot :lol:

We don't seem to be blessed with leaders at the moment. Martin seems the most likely based on what I've seen so far.

Martin demanded the ball a lot last night. I'm hopeful that Cathro is astute enough to get the right types around him. He's clearly a clever player on evidence to date but he needs legs around him cos he ain't got any.

We badly need an influx of pace and mobility. Cathro clearly knows this hence Goncalves. But we need more.

There were no legs in that side last night hence why it was incredibly hard work

Edit: Sowah has legs and helped out a number of times on the cover. Therefore Rherras becomes expendable too imo

Edited by Spencer

Martin, he was basically the captain last night anyway.

Kitchen was woeful last night and its finally struck me how slow and negative he is.

Perry is fast becoming a man down for us. When Cowie is fit I would play him in the Kitchen role and let him do the closing down and running like he did in the Rangers game, then have Djoum and Martin with him in the other CM roles.

wattie exploited

Aye just change the caption each week.

Draw straws to see who takes the penalties as well.

no just this captain !!!!!!!   

Sexton Hardcastle

Someone should dig the ozturk captain change thread up.

Pretty certain everyone was tugging themselves rotten over this glorious move and how Kitchen was going to make us a cool transfer fee in the future.

Honestly man.