Would you play for...

Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot

I'm starting to suspect he's in a Brewster's Millions type scenario where he's legally obliged to be a bit of a dick about it, whatever it is.

lol, I know it is hypothetical and total nonsense,but it's just a chat about football and what folks opinions are, the need for some to start rippin' the pish and being a throbber.

Strange, although most threads go this way now

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
avhudtheteeshirt

Only person I ever knew that was offered to sign for Rangers, turned them down as he had to get a short back and sides haircut, and at the time he had shoulder length hair!

His parents were in the room at the time everything had been settled, but when they said about his hair, Willie just said NO!

Those were the days when Rangers had proper standards and they had to be met!!!

Bazzas right boot

Easy for people to say they would not play for the O/F when they have zero chance.

but if you got 12-15 years of a career and they are offering x5 to x20 more than your present wage you would be crazy not to.

If you where playing for Hearts at the time at least the transfer money would aid the club.

ahh the point is you would have other options would you play for the OF for ?12/ week over Hearts at ?4k a week or a championship side, lets say derby for ?10k.

I'd chose derby or Hearts.

Its not abut earning ?30k a year or ?1m a year, in my daft  scenario you are a player, not a bus driver or accountant or what ever folk do atm.

It really does come down to money.  If you are at the top end like Ronaldo you can say you would never play for Man City for instance.  If you are at the other end of the pay scale or trying to make your way then you play for who pays the piper.  

This isn't Be A Pro in FIFA this would be your actual profession. You'd need to leave your emotional 'fan' head at the door. 

I would play for anyone as long as I was paid a decent wage, was given a secure contract and I believed in the footballing vision of the manager/club. 

Offer me the opportunity to make it as a professional footballer and I'm yours to do what you want with.

Dreamt of it since I was a child and it's one I'll never realise.

I couldn't give a **** who I play for just getting a start anywhere would be dreams coming true.

We_are_the_Hearts

Only person I ever knew that was offered to sign for Rangers, turned them down as he had to get a short back and sides haircut, and at the time he had shoulder length hair!

His parents were in the room at the time everything had been settled, but when they said about his hair, Willie just said NO!

Those were the days when Rangers had proper standards and they had to be met!!!

Who? Sounds like a long time ago when even Rangers paid pennies and all the money went in the Chairmans bank account

Mind you, Gowser turned them down flat when he got the chance to sign for rangers.

The difference was he knew he'd have options elsewhere and wouldn't have been on mental money if he'd gone at that time as a youngster from another Scottish club

Yes it is

You'd effectively not work for one set of employers (in the same industry as another) for a far nigher salary purely because you don't like what their supporters sing/stand for???

Bollox.

The supporters are only reflecting what the clubs stand for. Both clubs are rotten to the core in my opinion and I wouldn't work for either in any capacity. You can call it bollocks all you want. My consceine is clear.

Even if it was between hearts and the old firm I know what I would choose.

Play for your boyhood heroes and be well off. Or play for the old firm, become a millionaire and regularly win trophies.

People are forgetting, that apart from the obvious financial benefit. The ugly sisters (or really only Celtic at this point in time) can offer you silverware. And that's something I'm sure a lot of players place high on their priorities at a certain stage in their career.

Paul Hartley as talented as he was, went to Celtic in his 30s with only 1 Scottish cup to show for his career and was a league champion a year later. Craig Gordon is doing the same.

no to many budding matt le tissiers kickin about on here then, just loadsa the money hungry types.

many a players lives ruined by big money, wives n kids leaving, alcoholism, gambling addictions, drug addictions, financial investment blunders. big wages hasn't made every fitba player happy and well off after their careers have finished.

I'd work for any company if the wage was right. Couldn't care if they were Tories, Hibees or whatever. They could experiment on animals or children, doesn't matter.

All about the money for me.

Even if it was between hearts and the old firm I know what I would choose.

Play for your boyhood heroes and be well off. Or play for the old firm, become a millionaire and regularly win trophies.

People are forgetting, that apart from the obvious financial benefit. The ugly sisters (or really only Celtic at this point in time) can offer you silverware. And that's something I'm sure a lot of players place high on their priorities at a certain stage in their career.

Paul Hartley as talented as he was, went to Celtic in his 30s with only 1 Scottish cup to show for his career and was a league champion a year later. Craig Gordon is doing the same.

ask them which trophy win was the most satisfying, money don't make you happy.

no to many budding matt le tissiers kickin about on here then, just loadsa the money hungry types.

many a players lives ruined by big money, wives n kids leaving, alcoholism, gambling addictions, drug addictions, financial investment blunders. big wages hasn't made every fitba player happy and well off after their careers have finished.

Many a player lives an enriched life with their family due to money though. No tabloid story there. 

Personally, along side career ambitions, I work in my profession just now to provide for my family. I work for the company that gives me the most money so I can make my wife and kids life as comfortable as possible for as long as possible. If I were a footballer I would do the same. 

avhudtheteeshirt

Who? Sounds like a long time ago when even Rangers paid pennies and all the money went in the Chairmans bank account

Was back in the early 70's, young Edinburgh lad, Willie from Grove Street, was offered much more than any of the Edinburgh Clubs could offer but money was not his driving force as he was 18 at the time.

We_are_the_Hearts

Was back in the early 70's, young Edinburgh lad, Willie from Grove Street, was offered much more than any of the Edinburgh Clubs could offer but money was not his driving force as he was 18 at the time.

Would be funny if he went bald early

john brownlee

I used to play for a team in Cornwall and they had a strip of green and white hoops, that was bad enough for me and I couldn't wait to get it off, it made my skin crawl..... I lasted one season, had its compensation, if we won we got a crate of bottled beers from the local pub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Many a player lives an enriched life with their family due to money though. No tabloid story there. 

Personally, along side career ambitions, I work in my profession just now to provide for my family. I work for the company that gives me the most money so I can make my wife and kids life as comfortable as possible for as long as possible. If I were a footballer I would do the same. 

so you could handle being rich along with the adulation and still remain normal or at least normal to your family. it's not the same really, is it.

no one can tell how they'd handle the situation but the pressure and fan adulation and interference in your life would be a lot greater at the infirm and along with their religious hatred, I think 2k at tynie and 20k in Glasgow take on a different slant than just toddling off to parkhead/ibrox and collecting your big bucks.

quietly happy or loudly rich, do you really need a lambourgini outside your 10 bedroom house with locked gates to keep the crazies at bay.

If Rangers or Celtic offered me ?20k per week I'd be all over it.

I'd hasten to add that it would make my kids lives a damn sight easier living in Ayrshire than they are at present.

I'd be there , in the hoops, scarf aloft, balaclava on- the full works

so you could handle being rich along with the adulation and still remain normal or at least normal to your family. it's not the same really, is it.

no one can tell how they'd handle the situation but the pressure and fan adulation and interference in your life would be a lot greater at the infirm and along with their religious hatred, I think 2k at tynie and 20k in Glasgow take on a different slant than just toddling off to parkhead/ibrox and collecting your big bucks.

quietly happy or loudly rich, do you really need a lambourgini outside your 10 bedroom house with locked gates to keep the crazies at bay.

Where did I say I'd buy a Lambo? My point was I'd partly sign for them to secure life financially for my family, that does not involve spunking it on a car that depreciates by half as soon as I drive off the forecourt :lol: That's not my main drive (:) )  in all this. 

Handling the pressure is a personal thing as well. How do I handle the pressure of my current role? I focus on what the challenges of my job mean for my career progression. But, as you say, do I know for sure how I would handle it? No, but if I retained the personality & work ethic I have now I would say I could. No way do I think I'd just be swanning off with a cheque at the end of the month, hard graft would be a must at either or any club. 

glastonbury jambo

Would you play for Celtic Rangers?

I wouldn't , for the simple reason of what they stand for.

They are not football teams, but horrible institutions

It is a short career but I'd play for anyone else. Just like I wouldn't be a Tory MP, tobaco salesman or work in a slaughterhouse ( covering a few base's), I wouldn't play for these two.

Imagine trying to ignore the pro IRA or the orange bigoted songs as well as the anti Scottish sentiment, not for me. Would make me hate my self ( and my work), couldn't do it.

If I was foreign with no affiliation for Scotland or Hearts, might be easier, but if I was inclined one way or another would still be hard to stomach.

but you played for celtic Tosh, i know your in denial , we forgive you.

Some of Rangers best players over history or who've played a big part in success at least, were born and bred Hearts fans.

From Willie Woodburn, Jimmy Miller and Ralph Brand to Sandy Jardine and John Greig. The latter two were big Hearts fans as we know .Pro players are often described as plastic fans by some because they played more than watched as they made their way to the top but there's no denying those two gents were Hearts men.

Didn't stop them. And it wasn't for money either which would easily sway young players now.

I remember when I was a kid my dad was going to buy me a speedway bike and get me started in the sport. We were talking one day and he said "Just think one day you might be riding for Glasgow or Edinburgh" To which I replied "I'll never ever race for those cheating scummy Monarchs, I'll only ever ride for the mighty Glasgow Tigers"

I never did get the bike, as my dad said if I wasn't going to be professional he wasn't going to waste thousands on it.

So basically what I'm saying is even though all I had to say was "ok if Edinburgh or any team try and to sign me I'll ride for them" in order to get the speedway bike I wouldn't.

However having said all that, Celtic and Rangers are no where near the vileness of the Monarchs so yeah I would probably play for them if I could.

Folk say those who would turn them down are talking rubbish - but I really do think there are folk who are still of the disposition that a better life is good enough, it doesn't have to be the best.

If I was offered 5k a week from Hearts or 10k a week from Hibs - I'd take Hearts every time, why, because 5k a week is still what 5,6,7 times what I earn now? And I get to play for the club I love - good enough for me! How can you improve your financial situation 6 fold and still say it's not enough?

OK it doesn't work like that in real football careers - and players live to their means like we all do - but there ARE folk out there who are not motivated by money. So is everyone who says they would turn down the old firm talking with their arse out a window? - no I really don't think so.

Would I play for them for ?5K a week. Of course I would!

?5k? You don't think of yourself highly.

I'd milk every penny I could get out of them and probably still tell them to stick it.

We_are_the_Hearts

?5k? You don't think of yourself highly.

I'd milk every penny I could get out of them and probably still tell them to stick it.

Sorry, never realised you earned more than ?250K a year

Bazzas right boot

I'd work for any company if the wage was right. Couldn't care if they were Tories, Hibees or whatever. They could experiment on animals or children, doesn't matter.

All about the money for me.

OK, we get it you work for the BBC, no need to go on a rant.

Bazzas right boot

Folk say those who would turn them down are talking rubbish - but I really do think there are folk who are still of the disposition that a better life is good enough, it doesn't have to be the best.

If I was offered 5k a week from Hearts or 10k a week from Hibs - I'd take Hearts every time, why, because 5k a week is still what 5,6,7 times what I earn now? And I get to play for the club I love - good enough for me! How can you improve your financial situation 6 fold and still say it's not enough?

OK it doesn't work like that in real football careers - and players live to their means like we all do - but there ARE folk out there who are not motivated by money. So is everyone who says they would turn down the old firm talking with their arse out a window? - no I really don't think so.

I'm with you, but I'd go to Derby ( for example)over Hearts if they were offering more money, I just wouldn't play for Celtic or Rangers.

I wouldn't stop at Hearts just because I support them, I know I wouldn't do that, I would look for a good financial deal, I just wouldn't go to them.

Money is a factor , no doubt.

Bazzas right boot

Thers a difference between turning down all offers to play for Hearts, I think that is un realistic.

People are so black and white on here, it's scary.

If I  were a footballer and had options, I wouldn't play for them as I hate them for what they stand for. I wouldn't only play for Hearts, I'd go and follow the money, not just with them.

No. I was asked this nigh on 20yrs ago when I first started posting on KB. The answer was no then and the answer is no now. Regardless of what money was offered to me. I dislike what these two clubs represent with a passion. That is far greater to me than money. Sometimes a stance has to be made and I would have made that stance if the situation ever aror. In a nutshell I would have played for example St Johnstone for 2,000 pounds a week than either of the gruesome twosome for their 40,000 or 50,000 pounds a week.

I smell shite.

airdriejambo3

Would definitely play for both but if it came down to a choice between the 2 I'd 100% choose Rangers every time, however its possible if I was asked the same question in 1997 when Rangers were total jobbies lording it over Scottish football my choice might have been different.

So if you earn ?2k a week after tax you could buy a city centre flat in Edinburgh with a couple of years wages if you didn't spend any money on anything else. 

Six months wages would buy you a nice car if you didn't spend any money on anything else. 

?40k a week after tax would buy you massive house in a select area after 2 years.

Six months wages would buy you Bugatti Veyron. 

Anyone who says they would be happy with ?2k is either a fool or a liar.

I'd be off to Hibs if they were offering me double the money I was on at Hearts.

Ask Ian Black if he had to think twice about signing for rangers for 8k a week.

Or ex hearts player and hibs fan lee Wallace.

Best example is probably Lee Griffiths. Hibs daft but played for Celtic because of the money and the trophies. Simples

Sorry, never realised you earned more than ?250K a year

:lol:

Steady. I'm only pointing out the fact that even the less established players are probably not far off ?5k a week.

If we're theoretically speaking about Celtic or Rangers wanting to sign us, I like to think I'm a 25 goal a season striker and Scotland cap who the OF would need to stump up for to tempt me.

I'm in my forties now, so expecting a call from Warburton any minute.

Aye but are yer knees gubbed? Might need to wait a bit longer if there's still some use in them.

Aye but are yer knees gubbed? Might need to wait a bit longer if there's still some use in them.

I can't pick something off the ground without making strange grunting noises if that helps? Not sure when that started happening...

I can't pick something off the ground without making strange grunting noises if that helps? Not sure when that started happening...

As long as the strain doesn't make you shit yourself you might be useful in goals.

I'd play for a nazi select if they paid me ?20,000 a week!

Surely you would have to be a Nazi to play for a Nazi select team?.... Oh.

FFS I would also play for the vermin.

If I managed to score against the famous, would I celebrate?

Fecking well right I would, right around the ground giving it plenty.

Basically, I'm a see you next Tuesday kind of a guy. Presley hasn't got a look in on me. :smile:

For me it would be part financial part best situation.  For example if Rangers offered me 25k per week and Real Madrid offered me 20k per week I'm off to Madrid.  If it was a straight choice of Rangers 5k per week or Aberdeen 5k per week then I'd best be packing my thermals!!

If they were offering much more money than any other club, I would.  I wouldn't enjoy it, and I'd be a little disappointed in myself, but the money would be too much to turn down.

If they were paying, say, ?10,000 a week, that means that in a year after tax, you're a cool quarter of a million pounds up.  

I would make my current salary in 21 days of playing for them at that rate.  For that reason, I'm in.

I would make rather public comments to the media however, and try and rock the boat as much as possible, before handing in a transfer request to Tynecastle for a fraction of the money :thumbsup:

Unless my kid's lives depended on it, I could never have pulled on the jersey of Rangers, Celtic or Hibernian.  I just don't like them.  Money has nothing to do with it.

Ive always wanted to referee a Hearts v Celtic game. I'd give Hearts a corner in the last minute, then score a diving header. I'd then proceed to 'do the Beattie' passed the Celtic end while tooting Entry of the gladiators on my whistle.

Chances are slim that this will ever happen, but I live in hope.

I'd love to say yes and I'd use my profile to bring attention to the sectarian nature of the support, but let's face it, anyone who did that would be pushed to the side fairly quickly.

So yes, I'd take the money, establish myself and leave with either a year on my contract or on a bosman to the English leagues before making a glorious homecoming to Edinburgh.

fabienleclerq

Surely you would have to be a Nazi to play for a Nazi select team?.... Oh.

For 20k a week I'll be a black panther if they want!!

Archived