Nest

IronJambo

Not the things that birds do the nasty on, but the Google powered thermostatic boiler control.

If you've got one would you recommend it? I've only managed to read good things about them.

We're currently using a very unimpressive thermostat control in a rental house but want to get something much more useful when we move into our shiny new pad.

kingantti1874

I've just ordered the second hive (hive active heating 2) " much cooler than the first one". I looked at the nest and the only reason I chose those hive is because I think the nest is trying to be too clever for my needs, trying to figure out when people are in and out of the house, also it doesn't control water .. That won't work when it's in the hall and you've got 2 kids running around constantly.. A few complaints online about it being unpredictable.. The new hive looks good, gives a good level of control for both heating and your water and most import army I can boost the heating from my bed :)

https://www.hivehome.com

I've just ordered the second hive (hive active heating 2) " much cooler than the first one". I looked at the nest and the only reason I chose those hive is because I think the nest is trying to be too clever for my needs, trying to figure out when people are in and out of the house, also it doesn't control water .. That won't work when it's in the hall and you've got 2 kids running around constantly.. A few complaints online about it being unpredictable.. The new hive looks good, gives a good level of control for both heating and your water and most import army I can boost the heating from my bed :)

https://www.hivehome.com

I didn't realise there was a new Hive out so I'll have a look at that as I'd already discounted the original one. Since I work shifts Nest has zero chance of working out a schedule for me no matter how clever it thinks it is.

kingantti1874

I didn't realise there was a new Hive out so I'll have a look at that as I'd already discounted the original one. Since I work shifts Nest has zero chance of working out a schedule for me no matter how clever it thinks it is.

Yep would prefer to manually program my schedule also tbh.. The original one worked well but looked a bit shit, the new one is much nicer.. Also didn't like the fact that nest was heating only.. There are a few videos on YouTube of the new hive..

Yep would prefer to manually program my schedule also tbh.. The original one worked well but looked a bit shit, the new one is much nicer.. Also didn't like the fact that nest was heating only.. There are a few videos on YouTube of the new hive..

What difference do water controls make to a combi boiler if any? Am missing something on that?

Another thing, how does the Hive system manage to turn lights on and off? I know that nest can interact with Phillips Hue.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

kingantti1874

What difference do water controls make to a combi boiler if any? Am missing something on that?

Another thing, how does the Hive system manage to turn lights on and off? I know that nest can interact with Phillips Hue.

Just gives you the ability to control the schedule of both heating and water from one place or your phone.. No interaction with lights you need to download a separate app for that but Phillips hue is pish anyway and extremely expensive for pretty poor performance... The nest smoke detector and security cam is cool so I'm into that..

the stone rose

If you have a combi then you don't need hot water controls. Also Nest and Hive have started what is called connected homes. remote control lighting and door/window security. Personally think it is too early to know which is best for these. However British Gas are absolutely chucking money at this. The big future!

If you have a combi then you don't need hot water controls. Also Nest and Hive have started what is called connected homes. remote control lighting and door/window security. Personally think it is too early to know which is best for these. However British Gas are absolutely chucking money at this. The big future!

I'm just looking at the Hive site just now and I'm loving the idea of their lights and window sensors. We're stepping into a new era here. I'm not quite ready for door locks that speak to my phone and talk with my heating but the rest sounds great to me.

I use Tado and it's a great piece of kit. Easy to self install and the app works well.

Same here. Very pleased with it. Seems to be improving all the time too.

How do these things work if you have two thermostats?

Nest only works with one but I believe others can deal with zonal systems.

Archived