Ken Buchanan

Carl Weathers

Carl Weathers

Was voted a while back on the bbc website as the best ever post war boxer from Britain. Obviously this is subjective but a great achievement none the less for a man from Portobello.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/4107884.stm

I'm reading 'Hands of Stone' (Roberto Duran) and there is a chapter dedicated to Buchanan called 'The Scot'. I've also seen the bbc documentary about his career on youtube (worth a watch for boxing fans.

I'm also going to buy his autobiography - The Tartan hero.

Does anyone know much about him or remember watching his fights the first time around? From what I can gather he seemed more popular in America than here.

How would he compare to todays lightweights like Amir Khan?

Does anyone know much about him or remember watching his fights the first time around?

Ken Buchanan was a truly great fighter. Watched quite a few of his fights and he was a real craftsman. He didn't really get the recognition he deserved in the UK, but the Americans certainly appreciated him. I've no doubt he would come out on top against Khan quite easily.

I've met him twice.

1. He used to own a hotel in Ferry Road. Me and a mate were chatting to him one night when half a dozen neds wanted to have a go with us. Ken said they should reconsider as it would actually be three of us against them. Needless to say they got the message. :)

2. He was at the Willie Bauld dinner last year. Had my pic taken with him where we are sticking one on our respective chins. It is one of my favourite pics.

If Buchanan were fighting now, he'd be a multi-millionaire and in the mix for best pound-for-pound fighter.

Ken Buchanan. Sporting icon and top bloke. :)

Carl Weathers
Ken Buchanan was a truly great fighter. Watched quite a few of his fights and he was a real craftsman. He didn't really get the recognition he deserved in the UK, but the Americans certainly appreciated him. I've no doubt he would come out on top against Khan quite easily.

I've met him twice.

1. He used to own a hotel in Ferry Road. Me and a mate were chatting to him one night when half a dozen neds wanted to have a go with us. Ken said they should reconsider as it would actually be three of us against them. Needless to say they got the message. :)

2. He was at the Willie Bauld dinner last year. Had my pic taken with him where we are sticking one on our respective chins. It is one of my favourite pics.

If Buchanan were fighting now, he'd be a multi-millionaire and in the mix for best pound-for-pound fighter.

Ken Buchanan. Sporting icon and top bloke. :)

My dad used to know him and drink in one of his bars (hotel in Portobello?).

Is he a Jambo?

My dad used to know him and drink in one of his bars (hotel in Portobello?).

Is he a Jambo?

Don't know if he had other places. His hotel was called the Victoria Hotel, just opposite the entrance to Victoria Park.

I'm not sure about his jambo-ness, but he said he was a Hearts fan at the Willie Bauld dinner.

Carl Weathers

I'm not sure about his jambo-ness, but he said he was a Hearts fan at the Willie Bauld dinner.

That's good enough for me!

Carl Weathers
Don't know if he had other places. His hotel was called the Victoria Hotel, just opposite the entrance to Victoria Park.

Just spoke to my mum - the pub I was thinking of was called the grapes - now known as the Portobello bar on the high street.

Narrative Arc

I still feel Edinburgh still owes Ken Buchanan. Glasgow treated Jim Watt like a hero and considering Buchanan achieved a lot more, Edinburgh at the time was a lot more muted. What happens, do we wait until he dies to really honour him?

I still feel Edinburgh still owes Ken Buchanan. Glasgow treated Jim Watt like a hero and considering Buchanan achieved a lot more, Edinburgh at the time was a lot more muted. What happens, do we wait until he dies to really honour him?

Excellent point. Worth also pointing out that Ken beat Watt in a British title fight.

Just spoke to my mum - the pub I was thinking of was called the grapes - now known as the Portobello bar on the high street.

I know that one. Didn't realise he had any connection. Thanks for letting me know.

flecktimus

I believe he is the only British boxer in the boxing Hall of Fame.

Cant remember who he was fighting but this guy had him in the corner swinging punches but Ken just kept bobbing his head from side to side and not one punch touched him.

One of Edinburgh's finest

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

He certainly likes a bevy anyway.

See him quite often walking down Leith Walk looking worse for wear!

He certainly likes a bevy anyway.

See him quite often walking down Leith Walk looking worse for wear!

I'd be grateful if you could keep your offensive and disrespectful remarks off this thread. The Willie Bauld dinner is awash with drink and Ken Buchanan was fine at that.

If you don't have anything positive to contribute, please go away. :mad:

I met him last year on two occasions. He is living in a shared flat in Leith Walk. Still a fast eloquent talker, who likes to tell a good story.

He told me he was doing a series of after dinner speeches in England along with Roberto Duran. They are still very good friends. That is his main income.

Always dresses in a suit, but with so much time on his hands you will find him most days in a bar on the Walk.

Top bloke, and good company for a couple of hours.

He was a great great boxer.

buchanan-ken-11.jpg

Used to go out with my mother-in-law..;)

Thought he hailed from Bingham, not Porty.

Remember him well , especially from his days at JP's snooker centre.

Fantastic boxer and stiil a gent.

Received more recognition in the US for his talent and achievements than he did in his homeland.:rubeyes:

Carl Weathers

They need to make a film about this guy.

What a story there is to tell.

Terrible Trio
I'd be grateful if you could keep your offensive and disrespectful remarks off this thread. The Willie Bauld dinner is awash with drink and Ken Buchanan was fine at that.

:Funny-Post:

They need to make a film about this guy.

What a story there is to tell.

Agreed. I think I'll buy the books you mentioned.

Ken Buchanan is my top Scottish non-football hero along with the great Allan Wells.

Terrible Trio

I remember my mum taking to me Haymarket to welcome him back after he won in 1970 - place was mobbed

I remember my mum taking to me Haymarket to welcome him back after he won in 1970 - place was mobbed

Trio, you've seen the pic of me and Ken I'm talking about. It's an absolute corker.

crazy_jambo_2006

Met him once. Still looked in shape and had a strong handshake. Seems a decent bloke and any Scotsman who is a champion is fine by me!

Miller Jambo 60
I know that one. Didn't realise he had any connection. Thanks for letting me know.

KB pure fighter and a great Scotsman , had 2 pints in his hotel prior to a wee footie game for my works team.

Was i ill , still scored we won 3-1.:hobofish:

Wind your neck in.

What is disrespectful about that? All I stated was that he likes a drink and I often see him drunk in Leith Walk.

Many people like a drink and are often seen drunk in Leith Walk.

You must be one of the easily offended brigade on Kickback. :rolleyes:

Perhaps Kickback should honour Ken Buchanan by presenting him with some sort of award/momento/trophy. I'd gladly contribute.

Maybe Kickback should have a Sporting Hero award to be given to a Scottish non-footballer? There are no shortage of candidates - Ken Buchanan, Chris Hoy, Allan Wells, David Wilkie all spring readily to mind.

Wind your neck in.

What is disrespectful about that? All I stated was that he likes a drink and I often see him drunk in Leith Walk.

Many people like a drink and are often seen drunk in Leith Walk.

You must be one of the easily offended brigade on Kickback. :rolleyes:

This thread is for people who appreciate Scottish sports people and their achievements. Please go away. Thanks for your co-operation.

Carl Weathers
Perhaps Kickback should honour Ken Buchanan by presenting him with some sort of award/momento/trophy. I'd gladly contribute.

Maybe Kickback should have a Sporting Hero award to be given to a Scottish non-footballer? There are no shortage of candidates - Ken Buchanan, Chris Hoy, Allan Wells, David Wilkie all spring readily to mind.

You could also add Robbie Neilson to that list. Ho ho.

Seriously though, a great idea.

This thread is for people who appreciate Scottish sports people and their achievements. Please go away. Thanks for your co-operation.

:4_1_72:

For your information, I wouldn't have even opened the thread if I didn't appreciate that KB is a great Edinburgh boxer.

Please don't ruin a good thread with your boring patter.

Hope this helps. :)

Narrative Arc

Aye but what did the edinburgh council at the time do for him?

Jamie_the_Jambo

I passed his old house today in corstorphine. Pointed it out to the wife.

She didnt know who he was.

Jamie

Archived