Glasgow Hospitality

Ribble

Yes, she is...

Thought as much, she should have just vented on the seethe thread!

GlasgoJambo

I went back to that Hostel once with a German girl. It had a vending machine with cans of Tennent's in it.

:fonzie:

Even funnier, go down the page for the "17 things overheard in Glasgow". Pure magic, so it is.

The People's Chimp

Question is, who is that Meestah Sahmon walloper with the false review?

Craig Gordons Gloves

Question is, who is that Meestah Sahmon walloper with the false review?

He's not posted on the thread so his JKB username can't be revealed until he does.:)

Malcolm Tucker

Can't believe the amount of coverage this has got now.

The wonders of BuzzFeed.

Generic Username

From the moment The Lad Bible got involved with this I've denied all knowledge of it.

Tainted the hard work I put in to write that bloody review on TripAdvisor.

Malcolm Tucker

UNCONTROLLABLE BANTER FROM BANTEROUS LADBIBLE BANTER LADS.

**** off. Ruined the fun.

This thread is worthless without pics.... Can't possibly discuss that grotty fleapit without them.

3yma7uru.jpg

me8ypapu.jpg

edahymu2.jpg

4a4a9aga.jpg

yvy3u7ug.jpg

etegary6.jpg

agaba4u9.jpg

Poor Lou, I'd genuinely cry if someone tried to make me sleep in amongst all that. We'll need to scrub her down with wire brush and dettol before we let her back in Edinburgh City boundary too. ;)

Say What Again

Don't shoot me down, but what did folk expect an '18-35 party hostel' - which is apparently the cheapest in Glasgow - to look like? The Sheraton?

Granted that's pretty grotty, but I'm not sure I'd have expected an awful lot better.

Generic Username

I stayed in a ten dollar hostel in Manly for a week and it was like The Ritz compared to this place.

I stayed in a ten dollar hostel in Manly for a week and it was like The Ritz compared to this place.

Jon Voight and Midnight Cowboy has just sprung to mind, unfortunately.

Don't shoot me down, but what did folk expect an '18-35 party hostel' - which is apparently the cheapest in Glasgow - to look like? The Sheraton?

Granted that's pretty grotty, but I'm not sure I'd have expected an awful lot better.

Maybe just to be fit for human habitation?

Even the most basic hygiene standards?

Basic health & safety?

You can forgive lots of things, wear and tear is unavoidable, but filth like that just isn't ever excusable. Horrific. If they advertised it as a "filthy Trainspotter crack den grotpit full of mould and health/safety hazards" then fine, but they don't. Who in their right mind would expect that standard of accommodation in this day and age? Nightmare stuff.

Say What Again

Maybe just to be fit for human habitation?

Even the most basic hygiene standards?

Basic health & safety?

I'd imagine the wires are the only real safety issue (and I've no idea - that might be perfectly safe?), and obviously the shower is bogging which applies to the hygiene point (again though, I'm not sure just how clean folk would expect a shower that gets used by, what? 20 manky teenagers every day? Was ever going to be).

Apart from that the radiator is coming loose and there's a hole in the wall. I'm sure it's perfectly fit for human habitation, and I've no doubt thousands of people in Scotland live in worse conditions. If it was uninhabitable and didn't meet health and safety requirements, how is it even open?

I'll be coming across as a right nob here no doubt, like I'm trying to argue for the sake of it. That's honestly not my intention. I just can't get my head round the fact someone booked the cheapest hostel in Glasgow, and was shocked it was shit.

Guest GhostHunter

I know it's a legit story, however it does smack of a bit of a viral set up, even though it's not.

Common sense dictates, if you think it's shit, complain and move on.

This is all a little bit, well, meh.

Sorry Lou.

Notbrainwashed

You expect a basic level of service which I don't think was met here. No decent locks and inadequate washing facilities (not just grotty, but simply not enough as showers were broken) falls below that basic standard.

Lowering prices doesn't absolve you from your obligation to provide what you are selling. If you hire a cheap plumber, you still expect them to fix a leak, not wrap sellotape round a cracked pipe.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, the review itself is irrelevant. It could be exaggerated, it could be gospel truth, but regardless of that, the proprietor's behaviour in reaction to it was unprofessional and out of order.

Say What Again

You expect a basic level of service which I don't think was met here. No decent locks and inadequate washing facilities (not just grotty, but simply not enough as showers were broken) falls below that basic standard.

Lowering prices doesn't absolve you from your obligation to provide what you are selling. If you hire a cheap plumber, you still expect them to fix a leak, not wrap sellotape round a cracked pipe.

Yet it's being allowed to trade? I assume it didn't get like that overnight, so has been trading like that for months if not years. There must be some legal obligation to meet the level of service you describe. If it's failing to do so, why hasn't it been closed down?

I couldn't just open up my bucket shed and start renting it out as a guest house.

Maybe one good thing on the back of this - it might not be operating in that state much longer :lol:

Craig Gordons Gloves

I've stayed in hostels in Ghana for $3 a night that had bucket showers and a whole in the ground to shite in that were cleaner and safer than that.

I'd imagine the wires are the only real safety issue (and I've no idea - that might be perfectly safe?), and obviously the shower is bogging which applies to the hygiene point (again though, I'm not sure just how clean folk would expect a shower that gets used by, what? 20 manky teenagers every day? Was ever going to be).

Apart from that the radiator is coming loose and there's a hole in the wall. I'm sure it's perfectly fit for human habitation, and I've no doubt thousands of people in Scotland live in worse conditions. If it was uninhabitable and didn't meet health and safety requirements, how is it even open?

I'll be coming across as a right nob here no doubt, like I'm trying to argue for the sake of it. That's honestly not my intention. I just can't get my head round the fact someone booked the cheapest hostel in Glasgow, and was shocked it was shit.

Hiya Todd.

I know it's a legit story, however it does smack of a bit of a viral set up, even though it's not.

Common sense dictates, if you think it's shit, complain and move on.

This is all a little bit, well, meh.

Sorry Lou.

That's exactly what she did. She complained and moved on. She left a bad review (as many rightly do) and she was done with it. It's not her fault the dude was absolute tonto.

Notbrainwashed

Yet it's being allowed to trade? I assume it didn't get like that overnight, so has been trading like that for months if not years. There must be some legal obligation to meet the level of service you describe. If it's failing to do so, why hasn't it been closed down?

I couldn't just open up my bucket shed and start renting it out as a guest house.

Maybe one good thing on the back of this - it might not be operating in that state much longer :lol:

I don't know how its been trading. But just because it met a minimum standard at time of inspection, doesn't mean it is now. And who knows, maybe you could open your shed. I think hostel licenses are pretty lax

Also corroborating post from another guest at the same time:

Hey Lou - sorry we were the people that came into the room at 2am! We had checked in earlier in the day but the beds weren't made so couldn't properly leave our stuff. The hostel stuffed up as the other girl had been meant to move rooms during her stay but wasn't told. Totally agree there were no power points - we had to leave our phones behind the reception to charge, even though my mate needed hers to use as an alarm for a 6am departure. The walls had holes everywhere, the light switches were on the wall outside the hostel room, so people turned them on/off thinking they were the bathroom light switch, and the owner and his builders were walking in and out of the room during the day whilst we were trying to get dressed, without knocking. I have stayed in more than 50 hostels in the last 3 years in over 30 countries and never had such a horrible experience. Good on you for writing an honest review. I now await a barrage of abuse...

Guest GhostHunter

That's exactly what she did. She complained and moved on. She left a bad review (as many rightly do) and she was done with it. It's not her fault the dude was absolute tonto.

Pedereson comes across as a complete dick, Lou should have just left it as soon as she left the review.

The name rang a bell, then I realised I'd stayed there in 2006 after being at a concert. Was an absolute hole, but wasn't expecting much for a tenner. Guy seems a douchbag though.

Pedereson comes across as a complete dick, Lou should have just left it as soon as she left the review.

Nah, she shouldn't have left being called a fool and having her statements brought into question.

Say What Again

The name rang a bell, then I realised I'd stayed there in 2006 after being at a concert. Was an absolute hole, but wasn't expecting much for a tenner.

That's the point I'm failing to make it seems :lol:

Had I booked that place, I'd have been expecting pretty much what they got.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

A party hostel for kids run by an angry, aging, pony-tailed criminal? No thanks. :lol:

Chris Benoit

Ha! Seems the swear filter substituted the word. :)

We all saw what she was called.

:Agree:

The guy's a ******* muppet. If he'd left a measured response (didn't even need to be polite) it wouldn't have blown up on him. I can see him receiving a random inspection sometime soon.

As for the wiring it's hard to make out what it is, what it isn't is what he claimed it be, new wiring for a security system.

Chris Benoit

Looking again I think it's an old junction box for the phone lines, Not dangerous just not very good.

Dex the one person who definitely deserves no criticism here is Lou. She wasn't rude, she was dignified and the kept the heid in the face of ridiculous and vulgar abuse. It's more than I would've managed to do in that situation.

And she didn't pay a tenner folks, she paid ?100.

I'm arguing with him on Twitter just now.

He's just called me offensive.

Right.

Craig Gordons Gloves

I'm arguing with him on Twitter just now.

He's just called me offensive.

Right.

to be fair, you did call him an ignorant ^^^^ on facebook :)

to be fair, you did call him an ignorant ^^^^ on facebook :)

Ignorant f****** ^^^^ actually.

Because he is one.

Just hope he doesn't punch me to the ground.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Ignorant f****** ^^^^ actually.

Because he is one.

Just hope he doesn't punch me to the ground.

i wasn't disputing the factual element of your comment. Apologies for missing the f-bomb,

You'd better be careful though, he has hordes of admirers now from the ranks of mongchop LADs.

Carl Weathers

I went back to that Hostel once with a German girl. It had a vending machine with cans of Tennent's in it.

:fonzie:

:jesus:

What's the betting the wires are for a planned cctv system he will use to perv on backpackers?

Dex the one person who definitely deserves no criticism here is Lou. She wasn't rude, she was dignified and the kept the heid in the face of ridiculous and vulgar abuse. It's more than I would've managed to do in that situation.

And she didn't pay a tenner folks, she paid ?100.

More fool her for not checking out the online reviews beforehand. If it's as bad as she has stated, and FWIW it probably is, surely this wasn't the first bad review the place has had??

But she still went and booked it??

So she deserves criticism for not checking it out before booking it.

Lancashire_Lou

After missing out on the first round of Glasgow 2014 tickets I only got mine later on when most accommodation was already booked up so didn't have much choice of where to stay but having stayed in 100 hostels over the last 15 years I wasn't concerned in the slightest. I've stayed in a ?6 a night hostel on Cowgate & been perfectly happy. Only the night before I'd stayed in another hostel in Edinburgh and was also perfectly happy with sharing all the facilities; I'm no princess and I know exactly what to expect and what NOT to expect from budget accommodation. (Even though the cheeky sod had hiked up the price to ?100 for me & my pal for the night)

I didn't once resort to personal insults or threats unlike the private messages I've received from many a 'LAD' over this one simple review on facebook.

My favourite message was from a guy who said he was Team Todd until he realised I was a jambo.

Very frustrating that Todd has lied to the press saying I didn't complain in person at the time which I absolutely did. Anyone who has met me will know that if something upsets me I will speak up for myself.

After missing out on the first round of Glasgow 2014 tickets I only got mine later on when most accommodation was already booked up so didn't have much choice of where to stay but having stayed in 100 hostels over the last 15 years I wasn't concerned in the slightest. I've stayed in a ?6 a night hostel on Cowgate & been perfectly happy. Only the night before I'd stayed in another hostel in Edinburgh and was also perfectly happy with sharing all the facilities; I'm no princess and I know exactly what to expect and what NOT to expect from budget accommodation. (Even though the cheeky sod had hiked up the price to ?100 for me & my pal for the night)

I didn't once resort to personal insults or threats unlike the private messages I've received from many a 'LAD' over this one simple review on facebook.

My favourite message was from a guy who said he was Team Todd until he realised I was a jambo.

Very frustrating that Todd has lied to the press saying I didn't complain in person at the time which I absolutely did. Anyone who has met me will know that if something upsets me I will speak up for myself.

You should contact the press about it me thinks.

Archived