Sharpe V Hornblower

Guest Trapper John

Guest Trapper John

I'm revisiting the Sharpe series of novels and the Hornblower sagas.

The main difference I find between the two is the far stronger characterisation of the Navy man over the Green Jacket. Horatio Hornblower is forever trying to control his emotions and borders on the manic depressive. A fascinating and strangely lovable character. Richard Sharpe is far easier to live with and less demanding.There is obviously less emotional depth in Cornwell's writing. But he manages to retain a degree of originality in a far more numerous collection.

'Lieutenant Hornblower' is to my mind CS Forester's finest episode of the series. Cleverly written, it's seen from the POV of Lieutenant Bush, a frankly unimaginative but efficient officer who is Hornblower's only real friend. Hornblower deals effectively in disabling a mad captain and steers his incompetent first officer in the right direction. The novel ends during the Peace of Amiens when the two on half-pay survive on Hornblower's card playing skills.

I haven't got a favourite Sharpe novel. Maybe because they are too formulaic. Though 'Sharpe's Rifles' is pretty good.

All in all, great books. And great TV series. Sean Bean IS Richard Sharpe. But Gregory Peck will always be Horatio Hornblower.

Guest Trapper John

Yes. Bolitho is pretty good. His Royal Marine series under Douglas Reeman were okay.

The Aubrey/ Maturin are exceptional also. But at times I felt O'Brien a little too clever.

ToadKiller Dog

If you get a chance get Jacob Walters " dairy of a Napoleonic foot soldier "

It's a genuine personal account of Walters service in Napoleons Grande Armee .

Gives a foot soldiers view of the 1812 Moscow campaign

Tommy Wiseau

I've not read any of the Hornblower novels, but read 5 or 6 of the Sharpe books when I was younger and enjoyed them. Sharpe's Company and enemy were my favourites of them.

Always felt that the Hornblower TV series was too slow-paced and, despite having a huge budget, always went out of its way to avoid action. I absolutely loved Sharpe - it's seriously dated now, but had everything an adolescent Tommy wanted; guns, adventure, girls with big boobs and sticking it up Bony week in, week out.

Guest Trapper John

'If you get a chance get Jacob Walters " dairy of a Napoleonic foot soldier "

Gives a foot soldiers view of the 1812 Moscow campaign'

That looks very interesting. I'll look out for it. Thanks.

Guest Trapper John

'I've not read any of the Hornblower novels, but read 5 or 6 of the Sharpe books when I was younger and enjoyed them. Sharpe's Company and enemy were my favourites of them.

Always felt that the Hornblower TV series was too slow-paced and, despite having a huge budget, always went out of its way to avoid action. I absolutely loved Sharpe - it's seriously dated now, but had everything an adolescent Tommy wanted; guns, adventure, girls with big boobs and sticking it up Bony week in, week out.'

I watched the Hornblower series again lately. It is slower than the Sharpe series and took huge liberties with the books

Creepy Lurker

If you get a chance get Jacob Walters " dairy of a Napoleonic foot soldier "

Gives a foot soldiers view of the 1812 Moscow campaign

The book would be the cream of the crop but I find it a bit cheesy. He milks it a bit.

Guest Trapper John

The book would be the cream of the crop but I find it a bit cheesy. He milks it a bit.

Just noticed what you did there haha!

ToadKiller Dog

Opps haha

Archived