Good Beaches Near Edinburgh.

rael11

Can't beat a good day at the beach with the kids. We always end up going to Gullane or Silver Sands at Aberdour. Anyone got any recommendations for good beaches roughly an hour to ninety minutes from west Edinburgh?

Jambos_1874

Coldingham Bay is really good for swimming, surfing etc although it's quite a small beach. There's plenty of good walks around that area as well.

heartsfc_fan

Yellow Craigs beach, not too far from Gullane.

Some decent beaches in Fife aswell.

Franklin Delano Bluth

Burntisland?

Always a decent place. Seems to be taken over by Jellyfish quite frequently though.

North Berwick Jambo

Seacliff beach is nice

My choice as well, its a lovely beach that is never too busy unlike Gullane etc.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Seacliff beach is nice

Wonderful place

My choice as well, its a lovely beach that is never too busy unlike Gullane etc.

Shhhh!!! Or it wont be!

Petticur beach in fife. Spelling might be wrong. Just round from Burntisland and underneath the caravan sites.

Tommy Brown

Beach at Dalmeny Estate. Hidden gem of Edinburgh

Agree, we used to do pre-season training there.

The best beach in the area is Tyninghame beach in East Lothian.

contactpage-tyninghame-beach.jpg

Agreed.

The best beach in the area is Tyninghame beach in East Lothian.

contactpage-tyninghame-beach.jpg

Absolutely agree, miles and miles of beautiful sandy beach, with clean clear water.

:thumb:

Ahhh the shellbeds. Many a drunken evening was had there as a teenager.

Tyninghame for me, but don't tell everyone

They'll never find it anyway.... ;)

fabienleclerq

This. Called the shell beds locally, go under the rail bridge and walk along, big underwater drop though so don't go too far in

Gullane is a nice place.

I also like Kinghorn.

RNLI base there too just incase you need it.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Petticur beach in fife. Spelling might be wrong. Just round from Burntisland and underneath the caravan sites.

Gotta agree with this. Pettycur beach is fantastic. Kinghorn beach, two minutes away from Pettycur and where the RNLI lifeboat station is also a hidden gem. I fish both beaches regularly and caught a 3lb flounder a few years ago at Kinghorn beach.

Templeton Peck

This. Called the shell beds locally, go under the rail bridge and walk along, big underwater drop though so don't go too far in

Beach further round the corner is better. No view of Hound Point, beach just looks out to Forth estuary

fabienleclerq

Beach further round the corner is better. No view of Hound Point, beach just looks out to Forth estuary

Just class it as all the same, good walk for the dog. I remember walking right to crammond when I was younger and getting the wee boat across the river!

Chris Benoit

Burntisland?

Always a decent place. Seems to be taken over by Jellyfish quite frequently though.

Burntisland is a shit hole and the beach is gash

:lol:

Even the name suggests its shite!!

I remember growing up and one of the boys that we used to run about with used to get dragged up to his granny's caravan every summer.

Even as a 9 year old I realised that it sounded shit. Glad to get it confirmed that it is. :thumbsup:

Franklin Delano Bluth

:rofl:

That's me telt then.

Enjoyed it when I was younger, the pool and that. Oh well.

:sob:

Chris Benoit

:lol:

Even the name suggests its shite!!

I remember growing up and one of the boys that we used to run about with used to get dragged up to his granny's caravan every summer.

Even as a 9 year old I realised that it sounded shit. Glad to get it confirmed that it is. :thumbsup:

Honestly the place is full of mutants. It's more like Scorched Earth than Burntisland. Thing is to get there you drive past Aberdour which is a cracking beach.

Any idea who owns it?

It's been privately owned for as long as I can remember, I think the farm is called Auldhame Farm.

North Berwick Jambo

Any idea who owns it?

It's owned by the Dales at Scoughall Farm

The Real Maroonblood

It's owned by the Dales at Scoughall Farm

I wonder if this is unusual for beaches in Scotland to be privately owned.

I wonder if this is unusual for beaches in Scotland to be privately owned.

I think that in Scottish law you cannot actually own a beach, they're owned by the Crown, though you can own the foreshore that would give access to the beach. :unsure:

All roads lead to Gorgie

Seacliff beach is nice

Was there a few years ago and remember paying a small fee to use the carpark. You really needed a 4x4 to get down to the carpark then and I hope the road has since improved. Great beach though. Clean water and great views of the The Bass Rock and Tantallon Castle.

I'm pretty sure Canty bay is private too

I think Canty Bay is Seacliff but I might be talking pash!! :)

North Berwick Jambo

I think Canty Bay is Seacliff but I might be talking pash!! :)

Canty Bay is before Tantallon Castle on the road from North Berwick, it's just a small white gate on the left before the bend in the road, Seacliffe is just past the castle & Auldhame.

The Real Maroonblood

I think that in Scottish law you cannot actually own a beach, they're owned by the Crown, though you can own the foreshore that would give access to the beach. :unsure:

I think you could be right.

It would probably be covered under access law. Right of way etc.

Caspian Primrose

Aberdour has two great beaches. Silver sands is the one getting mentioned on here. Round the the other side is black sands, which I prefer. If youve got bairns they can go hunting in the rock pools and you might catch a glimpse of the seals sunning themselves. Silver sands is where the weegies go on their holidays.

Really would reccomend Gullane, best beach for miles and miles.

Canty Bay is before Tantallon Castle on the road from North Berwick, it's just a small white gate on the left before the bend in the road, Seacliffe is just past the castle & Auldhame.

So it is, my mistake.

Don't think I've been to Canty Bay.

Notbrainwashed

Seacliff is fantastic. Well worth the pound or whatever you pay to get to it.

Belhaven Bay is also nice and I surf there a lot. You need to walk over some marshy bit to get to the beach though.

Buffalo Bill

If you and kids have the legs for it, I'd recommend the walk from the long, wooden footbridge crossing the mouth of Aberlady Bay round the coast to Gullane. You go through the nature reserve, then out to a long, quite desserted and very beautiful beach which takes you to Gullane Point (offering some stunning views). There's then a series of smaller bays to explore before you reach Gullane Bents; probably the most stunning beach in the area (although I agree that Seacliff is excellent too). It's a good couple of hours walk but well worth it. When you're out on the point, there's a real feeling of remoteness which only adds to the enjoyment of being there.

Archived