Old Edinburgh Pubs

Stuart Lyon

System X is correct about Swanny's location. It is 50 yards up the hill from Leslie's. Jamie's has been the Bierex for about 9/10 years I think. I used to drink in Jamies but dislike the wine bar style of the Bierex.

Systemx - do you know it from visiting Newington TE?

Sorry SL (Three years late) Answer is Yes. I was an Exchange TO,funnily enough it was and still is a SystemX Exchange

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stuart Lyon

WavyGravy - can't find any info re Le Vineyard. Any idea what street it was on?

SystemX - typical engineer late for everything. Did you ever work at the now demolished Woodcroft?

LeylandJambo

Used to enjoy a pint or two in whitsons on junction st a few years ago. Grotty old place but he looked after his pipes. It was the usual place to meet up on a Saturday after the golf.

It was the Merrymaker after it was Fairleys

There was a big cat of some sort in a cage in the bar when it was Fairleys people always claim.

I remember thr big cat story. It wasnt true, though?

crunchy frog

I live over the road from it, the guy that runs it, I've been told, used to compete in the Tour De France. He does cycle to the pub and the pub name is that of a mountain, I think, that is part of the TDF route. I've never been in it but think I will give it a try. At least it is not full of Hibees like a few of them round there.

Murray Mackean is the owner, he does the Shavers Weekly drinking fanzine and was the original "Naked Man"

WavyGravy - can't find any info re Le Vineyard. Any idea what street it was on?

SystemX - typical engineer late for everything. Did you ever work at the now demolished Woodcroft?

A couple of times Edinburgh K.Used to go in for team meetings in the early nineties Work with Bob McCracken who used to be at Woodcroft

Any information regarding Le Vineyard in Portobello. Was it a bar/club or a resteraunt? Looked a bit chicken in a basket if memory serves me right.

it was Misty's nightclub in a former life!

the general

Murray Mackean is the owner, he does the Shavers Weekly drinking fanzine and was the original "Naked Man"

ah interesting used to drink with him in Black Bos

The Mighty Thor

Dizzies was just off Leith Walk, on Iona Street.

It's still a pub (maybe restaurant) now.

Certainly was. It was on the corner of iona st and buchanan st. I lived above it in the early 90's. Home of quite possibly the shittest karaoke on the planet in 1992.

I mind the old boiler behind the bar used to wear lace tops with no bra which was mildly disturbing.

scott herbertson

I remember thr big cat story. It wasnt true, though?

Oh Yes it was

Wild Cat - Fairleys

"Yes, it was indeed a black puma, and the lady mentioned was my ex- partner, Marjori Williamson. The story she told me was the bar was closed she had fallen asleep in the toilets. When she awoke and came out of the toilet the Puma them attacked her.

This happened long before i new her. If you find out anything regarding this, could you keep me updated please, just for history reasons and my our daughter are interested."

Derek added:

Looking for Marjori

"I no longer live in Edinburgh. I sold up and left, around two years ago now. I bought a place out west.

As far as I know Marjori is still in Edinburgh. She used to beg on the streets a couple of years back. I don't know where she is now. We are trying to locate her though."

Derek: August 3, 2008

Answer 7

Ian Cropper

Edinburgh

Thank you to Ian Cropper who wrote:

Wild Cat - Fairleys

"I was interested in the 'Black Panther' kept in Fairleys. People on the EdinPhoto web site have confirmed the existence of the 'cat in the cage' but the time span as to when it was there varies.

I joined the Police in 1979 and worked in Leith. I think 'Fairleys' was the 'Trade Winds' or Westward Ho' by this time.

I got a call to the pub one weekend in 1979 or 1980 and can confirm, without question, there was a black cat, I would say a Panther, in a cage, behind the bar.

It's not the kind of thing you forget easily. To this day, funnily enough, I have not been in another pub with a wild animal in a cage!"

http://www.edinphoto...th_wild_cat.htm

remember my stepfather (who was a shipping agent) talking about it

CornhillHearts

Murray also has the old illicit still at tolcross. Good lad

Jack of Hearts joins the name change knob jockery?

I don't want to live in this world any more. :(

the general

Anyone drink in the auld claken that was a dive

around 20 of ended up in there after a new year derby at fester road was called off at the last minute...managed to charm the regulars but it was a bit heavy for a spell

Oh Yes it was

Wild Cat - Fairleys

"Yes, it was indeed a black puma, and the lady mentioned was my ex- partner, Marjori Williamson. The story she told me was the bar was closed she had fallen asleep in the toilets. When she awoke and came out of the toilet the Puma them attacked her.

This happened long before i new her. If you find out anything regarding this, could you keep me updated please, just for history reasons and my our daughter are interested."

Derek added:

Looking for Marjori

"I no longer live in Edinburgh. I sold up and left, around two years ago now. I bought a place out west.

As far as I know Marjori is still in Edinburgh. She used to beg on the streets a couple of years back. I don't know where she is now. We are trying to locate her though."

Derek: August 3, 2008

Answer 7

Ian Cropper

Edinburgh

Thank you to Ian Cropper who wrote:

Wild Cat - Fairleys

"I was interested in the 'Black Panther' kept in Fairleys. People on the EdinPhoto web site have confirmed the existence of the 'cat in the cage' but the time span as to when it was there varies.

I joined the Police in 1979 and worked in Leith. I think 'Fairleys' was the 'Trade Winds' or Westward Ho' by this time.

I got a call to the pub one weekend in 1979 or 1980 and can confirm, without question, there was a black cat, I would say a Panther, in a cage, behind the bar.

It's not the kind of thing you forget easily. To this day, funnily enough, I have not been in another pub with a wild animal in a cage!"

http://www.edinphoto...th_wild_cat.htm

remember my stepfather (who was a shipping agent) talking about it

brilliant, thanks.

JamboInSouthsea

Jeez, that's a blast from the past...used to love that boozer, good for bevvie before going out to clubs like Shaft and whatnot.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Is the Melville Lounge on still on William Street? There used to be a pile of us drank in there after games years ago. I remember choring a huge mirror off the wall by shoving up the front of my pringle v neck and being that steaming that I dropped it on the cut thru to Charlotte Square.

The White Cockade

Used to work for Lothian Region and Friday night we all hit the pub

Usually went to the Malt Shovel before hitting Buster Browns

I'ms sure there was another pub right next door to Malt Shovel but memory is going

On occasion we also went to Oddfellows, Sansy Bells or down the Grassmarket

Rumours or Cinderella's later on if we were still standing

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Used to work for Lothian Region and Friday night we all hit the pub

Usually went to the Malt Shovel before hitting Buster Browns

I'ms sure there was another pub right next door to Malt Shovel but memory is going

On occasion we also went to Oddfellows, Sansy Bells or down the Grassmarket

Rumours or Cinderella's later on if we were still standing

I was a regular in Busters in my youth. According to popular myth the big mirror in the mens toilets was one of those two way jobs that allowed the door staff to see any bother kicking off in the bogs. Big Tommy wasnt a bouncer to be messed with either!

Say What Again

Jack of Hearts joins the name change knob jockery?

I don't want to live in this world any more. :(

I regret it, man :(

Stuart Lyon

Pub next to Malt Shovel Curently Eco Vino

Previous incarnations

Wig & Pen The Mary Kings Tavern Drew Nicol's Malt Shovel Too The Horse Shoe Bar Coppers

The Real Maroonblood

Is the Melville Lounge on still on William Street? There used to be a pile of us drank in there after games years ago. I remember choring a huge mirror off the wall by shoving up the front of my pringle v neck and being that steaming that I dropped it on the cut thru to Charlotte Square.

Yes it is.

Does anyone remember it being called the Merrymaker or Merchants?

When I err...frequented it, it was the Merrymaker. A more genteel, welcoming hostelry one would be hard to find...

the general

changed owners about a year ago .. previous manager runs Scotts and is a cracking Hearts pub

a lot of the old Melville regulars gor there now ... ?2.50 a pint of Best and Carling Sunday to Wednesday

Biffa Bacon

Can anyone confirm that Bert's Bar in William Street used to be called The Auld House and it had a tree growing through the middle of the pub floor?

Yep definately an artificial tree, I seem to recall a raised area towards the back of the pub and the tree was beside the stairs, although Bert's is on the same level, so it must have been quite a refit.

The Real Maroonblood

changed owners about a year ago .. previous manager runs Scotts and is a cracking Hearts pub

a lot of the old Melville regulars gor there now ... ?2.50 a pint of Best and Carling Sunday to Wednesday

Carling and Best scoosh = shite.

Say What Again

Any information regarding Le Vineyard in Portobello. Was it a bar/club or a resteraunt? Looked a bit chicken in a basket if memory serves me right.

Just asked my mate and he says you're correct. It was the George Picturehouse, then Mistys nightclub, then Le Vineyard, then East Coast Hibernian Supports Club. It shut down after that.

It was opposite what is now the St Andrews chippy on Porty High St.

Used to go to Mistys after the Backmarker didnt like it tho Sure it was owned by Eddie Ramsay who had his finger in a lot of pies.His brother Norrie had ice cream vans.That is tonights useless info peeps

portobellojambo1

it was Misty's nightclub in a former life!

The Harry Lauder Lounge was in the night club from memory. Think it is flats now.

portobellojambo1

Just asked my mate and he says you're correct. It was the George Picturehouse, then Mistys nightclub, then Le Vineyard, then East Coast Hibernian Supports Club. It shut down after that.

It was opposite what is now the St Andrews chippy on Porty High St.

Between being the George/Central picture house and becoming Mistys there was period in between when it was a bingo hall (think the cinema closed very early 1960's)

The Harry Lauder Lounge was in the night club from memory. Think it is flats now.

upstairs with the night club downstairs. Flats now like lots of pubs. Sad times!

ArcticJambo

I was a regular in Busters in my youth. According to popular myth the big mirror in the mens toilets was one of those two way jobs that allowed the door staff to see any bother kicking off in the bogs. Big Tommy wasnt a bouncer to be messed with either!

Good lad Tommy. Ever know what became of him?

As a lad i used to go in with older pals to Anabels and Cinderellas at Stockbridge , early 80s. I remember as a kid being underage in Durkins and the Snuff Box both Holyrood. i saw a terable slashing in the later. So man memories.

scott herbertson

Between being the George/Central picture house and becoming Mistys there was period in between when it was a bingo hall (think the cinema closed very early 1960's)

Think it closed mid 60s cos i certainly saw a matinee or two in there

Say What Again

Between being the George/Central picture house

My mate will be delighted you've mentioned the central. That's what he said originally and was shot down by folk saying it was the George.

scott herbertson

My mate will be delighted you've mentioned the central. That's what he said originally and was shot down by folk saying it was the George.

when it wa the george we referred to it as the 'flea pit' I remember being up at the back and it was pretty grotty - must have been shortly before it closed

frank skinner

Anybody else remember.

Lord Toms

Bull and Bush

Burnt Post

Rakes

Gatsby's

Cotters Howff

Lord darnley

The Rutland

Westwoods

Old Hundred

The White Cockade

Anybody else remember.

Lord Toms

Bull and Bush

Burnt Post

Rakes

Gatsby's

Cotters Howff

Lord darnley

The Rutland

Westwoods

Old Hundred

aye spent many a Friday night up Lothian Road or the West End

Stuart Lyon

Bull & Bush - originally the Lothian Bar then the Viceroy then Big Daddy o's

Lord Tom's - Festival Tavern, Shades & Hobgoblins

Any time I saw them they looked like it was a long time since they had been girls.

Go-go wifies more like.

I recall hearing the phrase "the maer ye clap, the maer ye see"

I still have a copy of the Edinburgh Pub Guide from the late 70s that I enjoy reading for nostalgia sake. Just along from the Oxford Bar in Young Street is a pub that is named the Cambridge Bar or more colloquially "The lager drinker's retreat" due to the curmudgeonly nature of the then owner of the Oxford Bar who had an aversion to serving the English, lager and half-pints. It was the only pub that would close for the festival for the reason of "I'll hae nae foreigners drinking in my pub". .

My mates, who were in our 20s in the 80s, still tend to call pubs by their names of that era. When I am back in Edinburgh and am told the name of a pub to meet in, I usually have to go back at least two name changes before I recognise it. Which is why we usually pick the Cafe Royal or the Guildford to meet.

Last post on here. I had my first underage drink in The Purple Onion as a 16 yr old. The pub has long gone - anyone remember where it was located?

Archived