Take A Look At This Picture & Tell Me What You See

Craigieboy

I was standing in the stadium today taking some photos & I have to say that Tynecastle is one of the finest stadiums you will ever see.

While some people may see an asbestos filled, falling down wreck of a stand, I see something that is simply brilliant.

Since I had my seat in the Wheatfield, I have always enjoyed looking onto the old stand on a matchday. Who can ever forget the atmosphere when it is filled during an absolute beasting of hibs?

Sitting in the dugouts today, I felt what it must be like for the players when they are down there on the park. Amazing!

I know that one day, maybe in the distant future the old stand will be torn down & replaced with something shiny & new. But the one remaining adds history, authenticity & grandeur to Tynecastle. It really is rather different from the soulless tin boxes that many clubs have put in place.

DSC02519.jpg

heartsfc_fan

Two (what it appears to be) people standing in the executive box.

Paul Hartley? :ermm::whistling:

Whilst I agree that it is a wonderful structure with much to love about it in a world full of replicated stadia, modern football has no room for sentiment. Only corporate boxes and Uefa regulation size changing rooms.

You either move with it or get left behind, and just now we are being left way behind.

Paul Hartley in the directors box?

But what I really see is a stand that is full of charecter & I always remember sitting in it once for a game in 87/88 & I could't beleive how big & awsome if felt compared to the rest of the ground.

I was standing in the stadium today taking some photos & I have to say that Tynecastle is one of the finest stadiums you will ever see.

While some people may see an asbestos filled, falling down wreck of a stand, I see something that is simply brilliant.

Since I had my seat in the Wheatfield, I have always enjoyed looking onto the old stand on a matchday. Who can ever forget the atmosphere when it is filled during an absolute beasting of hibs?

Sitting in the dugouts today, I felt what it must be like for the players when they are down there on the park. Amazing!

I know that one day, maybe in the distant future the old stand will be torn down & replaced with something shiny & new. But the one remaining adds history, authenticity & grandeur to Tynecastle. It really is rather different from the soulless tin boxes that many clubs have put in place.

DSC02519.jpg

The pitch is looking immaculate - of course it should be but would give my left arm to play on that hallowed turf.

I see my seat.

I can see my old seat, kinda miss it on match days. The Main Stand creates an atmosphere few stands can match.

Never ever call it asbestos.It's white fibre cement and if you double wrap it and tape it up you can put it in your wheelie bin.Tynie looks glorious and I cant wait.

While I agree with the sentiments expressed here, I have often sat there and the pillars can be a bloody menace !

It's a bit like the affection for the old terraces. I used to get there for 2.30 so I could get to barrier with a decent view of the pitch. Two minutes to 3, the bloody Harlem Globetrotters turned up and stood right in front of me :angry: I thank God for the Wheatfield and the uninterupted view.

A lovely stand but no longer fit for purpose I'm afraid.

linkin- hearts

Imagine what it must feel like getting paid for playing there when you know so many would do it for nothing:thumbsup: Oh and to answer the question in the thread title, i see a grand,old lady.

Guest John Meurig Thomas

I see pride! I see power! I see a bad-ass mother who don't take no crap off of nobody!

I see pride! I see power! I see a bad-ass mother who don't take no crap off of nobody!

Great, great post and a great film!!!

0.jpg

I P Knightley

Have you had a good lunch? ;)

I won't disagree that there is a sentimental part of me that loves the old stand and how it evokes happy memories of great times in years gone by but there's no way that I would use the phrases I've emboldened to describe it in this day and age.

When it goes, it will be momentous but it will also (hopefully) mark the beginning of new great memories being created and the old stand (like the Shed) will live on as part of the Hearts legend.

Oh and to answer the question in the thread title, i see a grand,old lady.

Shhh! It's time for her afternoon nap - best check her colostomy bag before she dozes off :)

Dalstonjambo

I see a picture of part of a place that provides me with more emotion and joy than anywhere else or anyone can ever match. Well except maybe a cup final at hampden. What i do know is that there is no other place in the world like tynecastle. And if i close my eyes i still remember that night and that roar. Heart of midlothian were going to the champions league.

Rudolf's Mate

Pitch looks asbsolutely amazing!

Great stand and enjoyed seeing the fans go mad when against the hobos or uglies however, as has been already pointed out.... It's the fans inside it that make it! If the right kind of stand is put in it's place it'll be loved as much as the old.

I can see my seat, that's what. And the sight of it just made my heart do this mad wee somersault thing. I can't wait to get back there. :)

There's nothing like the Main Stand. It'll actually break my heart when they take it down and I'm very much dreading it. Modernisation schmodernisation.

DSC02519.jpg

i remember sitting in the back row of section S that night against Stuttgart i swear the whole stand was shaking.best atmosphere at a game i have ever been at bar none :thumbsup:

I see a thing of beauty. :thumbsup:

You can almost see my seat. You can definately see where I stand.

Hackney Hearts

i swear the whole stand was shaking

That sort of stand does 'vibrate' - it's fantastic. That's the problem with the new concrete ones, they're too solid - perhaps we could design one with springs in? And special electric percussion boards for stamping your feet on??

Hackney Hearts

I used to get there for 2.30 so I could get to barrier with a decent view of the pitch. Two minutes to 3, the bloody Harlem Globetrotters turned up and stood right in front of me :angry:

I've always been convinced that I only grew to be 6'4" so that I could see the Tynecastle pitch properly. I believe the terraces influenced human evolution.

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

great picture! I see a stand with many great memories spent standing up the back of it.

I see a place that has given me hundreds of wonderful memories.

One of my favourites is taking my girlfriend to the main stand to watch Hearts v Scotland in 1958. Hearts won 3-2, and the noise inside the stand when we scored the third goal was absolutely deafening. My girlfriend was astounded and said to me, "You take this very seriously, don't you?"

I said "Yup, and if you're going to marry me, you'd better get used to it."

She got used to it. We've been married over 50 years.

One of my favourites is taking my girlfriend to the main stand to watch Hearts v Scotland in 1958. Hearts won 3-2, and the noise inside the stand when we scored the third goal was absolutely deafening. My girlfriend was astounded and said to me, "You take this very seriously, don't you?"

Ron, it was a pleasure meeting you & May at the opening of the cairn in Contalmaison.

May was right, we DO take it seriously!

Greedy_Jambo

I can see what the OP is saying, but if Tyncastle had a 4th stand the same as the other 3 it would be COMPLETE to me.

One of my favourites is taking my girlfriend to the main stand to watch Hearts v Scotland in 1958.??Hearts won 3-2, and the noise inside the stand when we scored the third goal was absolutely deafening.??My girlfriend was astounded and said to me, "You take this very seriously, don't you?"

She got used to it.??We've been married over 50 years.

Tynecastle and romance just go hand in hand. Not every week, mind....but often enough... ?:)

Not the most obvious of romantic places, but romantic it is nonetheless.

Francis Albert

Bit of a hodge podge with the different advertising levels and different seat colours. Looks a bit like a second rate rugby league stand. Of what you can't see, seating cramped, "catering" facilities abominable. Best thing about it is the view of the other three stands. Great in its day. Had its day a while ago. Still love it but only out of nostalgia.

I love the old stand, it is a resplendent old lady who has given me and thousands others such warmth. I remember going there with my dad and had, I think five or six season tickets there. However, she needs a makeover, she is no longer fit for purpose and Hearts' requirements cannot be met by her.

I'll shed a tear when she is gone, and I will miss her, but it is time.

heartsfc_fan

Fantastic!

Broomie Hearts

i see

the home of the brave.

i remember seeing a poll on another website some time last year

might have been that pie & bovril one.

asking the punters favourite away ground

id say at the very least 80% of the folk picked tynecastle.

janie jones

Surely the finest view in British Football is looking from the back of the Wheatfield watching the sun going down behind Edinburgh Castle looking over the old stand.You always know when the atmosphere at Tynie is at its peak when the feet are geTting stamped in the old stand. Can't wait till the season is underway.

FTH

Surely the finest view in British Football is looking from the back of the Wheatfield watching the sun going down behind Edinburgh Castle looking over the old stand.You always know when the atmosphere at Tynie is at its peak when the feet are geTting stamped in the old stand. Can't wait till the season is underway.

FTH

They'll have to put sprung wooden floors in the new stand or something. Can't imagine what it would be like not to hear that noise. ?:oldsad:

I was in the other day and took a couple of pics and thought the place looked brilliant.

023.jpg

022.jpg

Malcolm Tucker

The 'lines' where the lawnmower has been patrolling are thinner this year. Was like that in 2005/06 as well.

:thumbsup:

just looks amazing. i love that place soooooooooo much

the pitch looks fantastic!

PsychocAndy

I see my youth. When Joe Strummer died a part of my youth died, when this fine Lady goes, the history of my youth will be all but gone.

I dont really want Hearts to build a new stand (if they eventully get around to doing that), i would rather they done up the old stand and kept it because i have sat there ever since the new Tynecastle got built and i absolutely love it !

Archived