Youth teams complete dismal weekend

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

To complete an awful weekend for the youth teams, the U17s and U15s both lost to their Hobo equivalents by 3-0 at East Mains.

I watched the U17s and, for a derby game it was disappointing to see Hearts lacking in effort. They started ok with some neat passing play, but were incapable of harnessing a strong breeze at their backs during the first half, as the strikers failed to hold the ball up and everybody was shot-shy. Hibs went ahead from the spot late in the half when Chris Kane mistimed a tackle to concede a penalty. Hibs went further ahead into the 2nd half with two similar goals with their striker sidestepping his way through the middle of the defence and going on to complete a hat-trick. With a different ref, he may not have been on the park after a set-to with Chris Kane midway through the first half that could have seen them both sent off. Other than that there was little of note as neither keeper actually made a save during the 90 mins.

It wasn't as if Hibs were that much better than Hearts but they were certainly more up for it.

Hearts team

Hamilton

Mullen Murdoch Campbell O'Hara (Rendall)

Stewart Kane Tobin Christie (Lynas)

King Carrick (Todd)

Best for Hearts were Tobin and Mullen, other than them it was a day to forget.

One positive note is that Fraser Mullen, Aaron Murdoch and Billy King have joined the Hearts ground staff on a full time basis. I believe that Chris Kane will also join then in the summer.

I hope that the Hearts management team keep in touch with you as you appear to attend more youth games than they do, keep up the good work, I always enjoy your reports. thumbsup.gif

Heartsdavid

Was at riccarton today for the u13s and u14s against hibs. Doesn't get much better I'm afraid, both beaten 3-1 by what looked like pretty good hibs sides. What's happening with our youth setup at all these age groups?

Was at riccarton today for the u13s and u14s against hibs. Doesn't get much better I'm afraid, both beaten 3-1 by what looked like pretty good hibs sides. What's happening with our youth setup at all these age groups?

Hibs are hoovering them up. The whole package, from continued education to East Mains itself is drawing them in. It's not a difficult decision for parents to make. Hibs are also miles ahead of the rest when it comes to players breaking through and moving on for big money. O'Connor, Whittaker, Thomson, Riordan, Fletcher, etc have all set a great example to those following them through the ranks.

I'll now wait patiently to be told that East Mains is just a barn on the outskirts of Newcastle :whistling:

It's a tin cow shed on an old abandoned farm.

Spartans have a better youth set-up than hibs do.

Yeah, of course they do.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Hibs are hoovering them up. The whole package, from continued education to East Mains itself is drawing them in. It's not a difficult decision for parents to make. Hibs are also miles ahead of the rest when it comes to players breaking through and moving on for big money. O'Connor, Whittaker, Thomson, Riordan, Fletcher, etc have all set a great example to those following them through the ranks.

I'll now wait patiently to be told that East Mains is just a barn on the outskirts of Newcastle :whistling:

How much did Ratboy move on for? That was one period of success with Park running things but who have you produced recently?

loveofthegame

Good news is my little cousin scored a hat trick at under 12s- lost the 1st game 4-3 but humped the hobo's in the second. Come on the Gorgie!!!!

Hearts of Vladland

I'll now wait patiently to be told that East Mains is just a barn on the outskirts of Newcastle whistling.gif

Selling to the old firm is nothing to sign and dance about mate.

jamboinglasgow

I'm sorry what? Hibs are not "hoovering them up" like you say. You got lucky on one generation (with kids that you mostly got as cast-offs from other teams youth set-ups.)

A word of caution to others, a set of bad games doesn't mean Hearts players are awful and hibs players are amazing.

This weekend, two players who came through Hearts ranks were man of the matches in premier league games.

Hearts first team has been the better side in Edinburgh for the vast majority of the history of the two clubs - start of the fifties and late 60's to mid 70's being the only two periods I can think of that Hibs can rightly claim to have been the top dogs.

That's the difference.

jamboinglasgow

How much did Ratboy move on for? That was one period of success with Park running things but who have you produced recently?

Actually a key point. I do feel last year's Hibs U19s were the last lot of the Park scouting and selection. Its no surprise that they have very little key talent below that. For example though they have 2 players in the Scotland u21s, the next hibs player selected for Scotland is in the U15s while hearts have players in every Scotland team except U21.

Pick holes in it all you like. The point isn't how much Hibs have made, it's the opportunity given to the youngsters. That's one of the reasons why they're choosing Hibs.

As for players coming through, Hanlon has come through from the 2008/09 U19's and Wotherspoon has come from the 2009/10 U19's. Both are now permanent fixtures and performing well. Wotherspoon's peers will be given the same chance that Hanlon got. So don't be surprised to see Byrne, Welsh and Currie pushing for a first team slot next season.

Actually a key point. I do feel last year's Hibs U19s were the last lot of the Park scouting and selection. Its no surprise that they have very little key talent below that.

So what does that say about your U13's, U14's, U15's and U17's who were all well beaten by the Hibs youngsters today? You can't have it both ways.

So what does that say about your U13's, U14's, U15's and U17's who were all well beaten by the Hibs youngsters today? You can't have it both ways.

Can we keep this fud till next Sunday?

Answer me a question - who has had a better first team over the history of our clubs?

davemclaren

It says that they lost. However, at that level results really aren't what it's all about. Have you watched the Hibs youngsters much?

news doesn't get any better im afraid. the u17's girls were beaten 6-2 away at hibs girls this afternoon :down:

Pick holes in it all you like. The point isn't how much Hibs have made, it's the opportunity given to the youngsters. That's one of the reasons why they're choosing Hibs.

As for players coming through, Hanlon has come through from the 2008/09 U19's and Wotherspoon has come from the 2009/10 U19's. Both are now permanent fixtures and performing well. Wotherspoon's peers will be given the same chance that Hanlon got. So don't be surprised to see Byrne, Welsh and Currie pushing for a first team slot next season.

You say that as if we don't give youngsters a chance. Have you been paying attention this season? The majority of our team is made up of academy players. I honestly think you're talking pish about Hibs 'hoovering up' all the talent. You might have won today but in the grand scheme of things, results are irrelevant at that level.

davemclaren

news doesn't get any better im afraid. the u17's girls were beaten 6-2 away at hibs girls this afternoon :down:

Nightmare. :geek:

It says that they lost. However, at that level results really aren't what it's all about. Have you watched the Hibs youngsters much?

I have. They're a bunch of good honest kids who are taught to get the ball down and pass it around. They're taught to play football the way it should be played B)

davemclaren

I have. They're a bunch of good honest kids who are taught to get the ball down and pass it around. They're taught to play football the way it should be played B)

I see you've swallowed the Hibernian cliche book today. :rolleyes:

I honestly think you're talking pish about Hibs 'hoovering up' all the talent.

That's fine. Think what you like.

Were they present to see Ross County giving you a lesson?

You're not even trying very hard!

That's fine. Think what you like.

Whoever is 'hoovering up' all these players missed out on Craig Thomson, Lee Wallace, Paul Mulrooney, David Templeton ... I could go on.

Hoover must be broken mate.

Footballfirst

I have. They're a bunch of good honest kids who are taught to get the ball down and pass it around. They're taught to play football the way it should be played cool.gif

....... and I watched Hearts U19s beat Hibs U19s at East Mains last week ...... with seven players who will still be eligible at U19 again next season.

I was speaking to one of the Hearts players' parents at the game who said that today was the first time she had ever seen her son lose to Hibs ....... and he's been at Riccarton since he was 12.

theheartsareback

Yeah, of course they do.

Infact I agree that Spartans have a better youth set-up......

Like the first team Hearts youth players don't have the desire to play in a Derby..... Or in any game. Which I think is a disgrace i'd kill to play for hearts.

Answer me a question - who has had a better first team over the history of our clubs?

As you ask. Check out the percentage stats for both our clubs.

Interesting percentage stats for those interested in how both Edinburgh clubs have underachieved on the domestic front for almost their respective entire histories.

For the glass half empty among you:

Hearts League champs 4 equating to a 96.50% failure figure

Hibs League champs 4 equating to a 96.43% failure figure

Hearts Scottish Cup wins 7 equating to a 93.81% failure figure

Hibs Scottish Cup wins 2 equating to a 98.22% failure figure

Hearts League cup wins 4 equating to a 93.66% failure figure

Hibs League cup wins 3 equating to a 95.24% failure figure

Hearts overall domestic failure figure stands at 94.65%

Hibs overall domestic failure figure stands at 96.99

For the glass half full among you:

Hearts can boast a 3.50% success figure in the League

Hibs can boast a 3.57% success figure in the league

Hearts can boast a 6.19% success figure in the scottish Cup

Hibs can boast a 1.78% success figure in the Scottish Cup

Hearts can boast a 6.34% success figure in the league cup

Hibs can boast a 4.76% success figure in the league cup

For the neutrals and the more rational among both sets of supporters, these stats are damning of both clubs in that they show, like I say, a gross under-achievement by both Edinburgh clubs, and reveal the razor-blade-edge-difference in their respective stats when seen in a historical context. If anyone would like to do something similar for both clubs respective euro stats, feel free. They will, I'm sure, make interesting reading.

....... and I watched Hearts U19s beat Hibs U19s at East Mains last week ...... with seven players who will still be eligible at U19 again next season.

I was speaking to one of the Hearts players' parents at the game who said that today was the first time she had ever seen her son lose to Hibs ....... and he's been at Riccarton since he was 12.

I see the knobber hasn`t replied to that. Also Castle, i wouldn`t have thanked you for half the **** you`ve sold on. They were all used to derby gubbings and most were sold on the back of the hysterical propaganda at that time.

No two clubs follow the same path at the same time. You sold some players you brought through, whoppee do, thats what happens in football. We`ve sold players through the ages but actually feel disappointed we`ve lost them, not celebrate it.

Interesting percentage stats for those interested in how both Edinburgh clubs have underachieved on the domestic front for almost their respective entire histories.

For the neutrals and the more rational among both sets of supporters, these stats are damning of both clubs in that they show, like I say, a gross under-achievement by both Edinburgh clubs, and reveal the razor-blade-edge-difference in their respective stats when seen in a historical context. If anyone would like to do something similar for both clubs respective euro stats, feel free. They will, I'm sure, make interesting reading.

Keep it simple. Hearts have collectively won more trophies, derbies, qualified for europe off their own backs more(no invites), have a better standing in the game because they`ve been a far better league side outwith the title wins. In the minds of the neutral i have no doubt they see Hearts as the bigger club and with a better rep in the game.

good night.

Keep it simple. Hearts have , qualified for europe off their own backs more(no invites),

Ah herm. I think you will find that Hibs record is superior to Hearts regards qualifying and doing well in europe. Ask a fellow Jambo and don;t take my word for it.

Goodnight to you

davemclaren

We've won the league the same number of times as you.

Equates to us being over 300% more successful than you in the cup :teehee:

We've won the league cup more times than you as well. ( 33% in fact )

I love the way you can make statistics say what you want - see bold above.

loveofthegame

Get these dirty hobo's to ****. Who lets people join this board called noseyhibby?!

Hibs fans- living in our shadow since 1875.

loveofthegame

I love the way you can make statistics say what you want - see bold above.

^^^^^ Well said that man

Ah herm. I think you will find that Hibs record is superior to Hearts regards qualifying and doing well in europe. Ask a fellow Jambo and don;t take my word for it.

Goodnight to you

Can`t find the link to a website i used to refer to but it basically gave you the complete record of each scottish side who has played in europe. If you exclude Hibs invite in the 50`s you`ll find Hearts have played more seasons in europe thus meaning we`ve qualified more, irrespective of how many games you play, that obviously comes down to how well you do.

night night

Charlie-Brown

So Hearts have won 15 Scottish trophies to Hibs 9 .... by my reckoning that makes us 67% more successful.

davemclaren

So Hearts have won 15 Scottish trophies to Hibs 9 .... by my reckoning that makes us 67% more successful.

Your arithmetic is correct. :whistling:

Correct, But you miss the main thrust of my argument that both our clubs have underachieved and won next to nothing in a historical context. This wee team/big team mentality is embarassing for the more rational among both sets of supporters, as the stats are absolutely nothing to be proud of. My teams record of failing to win anything for 97% of its history is pathetic, as is Hearts who are marginally ahead in a historical context, having failed to win anything for nearly 95% of its history. For two big city teams, our historical collective challenge to the old firm is dire.

Get these dirty hobo's to ****. Who lets people join this board called noseyhibby?!

Are you frightened of a bit of logic and some revealing stats, or is it a case of your hatred for anything Hibs over-rides common sense, decency and respect, irrespective of who the poster might support? Have I come on your site and slagged Hearts or any individual?

Oh yes, I should add that I came onto your site quite openly displaying my allegiance -no subterfuge or sneeky infiltration disguised as a Jambo. Thus my avator name Noseyhibby. I'm being nosey and I'm a Hibby. If you can't handle the banter or add to a reasoned debate, then please ignore my posts and refrain from childish name-calling.

Johanes de Silentio

Goodnight to you

Aye, goodnight. :ermm:

mon the town

if the hobos youth set up is that superior how is it that we won the cup in 98 with ritchie, naysmith, robbo, grant murray and mckenzie in the squad of 14? lockey would have been in the line up as well if not for injury! can THEY boast such a feat? how many ex youths have moved to the epl DIRECTLY FROM HEARTS? I can think of Gordon, Naysmith, Berra, Robbo off top of my head, how many from the vermin? The brag abt making ?12 mill on Brown, Whitty etc, we nearly made that on 1 fecking player!!!! WE ARE ALWAYS SUPERIOR AND ALWAYS WILL BE FTH

Clerry Jambo

Correct, But you miss the main thrust of my argument that both our clubs have underachieved and won next to nothing in a historical context. This wee team/big team mentality is embarassing for the more rational among both sets of supporters, as the stats are absolutely nothing to be proud of. My teams record of failing to win anything for 97% of its history is pathetic, as is Hearts who are marginally ahead in a historical context, having failed to win anything for nearly 95% of its history. For two big city teams, our historical collective challenge to the old firm is dire.

You are right about 1 thing - both clubs are mighty underachievers.

But I need no Hobo to tell me that.

Isn't it strange that the only time we hear from you mob is when you slither from under your wee staines and you're having a decent season.

Although it looks as though the "green masses" don't believe in Yogi's revolution :rolleyes:

I have. They're a bunch of good honest kids who are taught to get the ball down and pass it around. They're taught to play football the way it should be played cool.gif

And all Scottish I hope.

Big Team, First Team

Wee Team, Youth Team

Hold on. Don`t bring us into a cosy twosome. We have our own mindset and always have. Hibs have underachieved? Have you been close enough on several ocassions to do so?

You get nothing for 2nd place but Hearts have been runners up 14 times and lost the league on 3 last day deciders, as far as i know, there may be more in there. But it sets a standard and gives you more respect in the game.

I remember a Hibby saying to me your as well finishing 11th if your not going to finish 1st...what alot of keech and i`ve encountered that defeatist attitude from other Hobos. It just hid the fact that Hibs haven`t been as strong a league team as Hearts over history and it was a belittling tactic full of envy.

Hearts have underachieved thats for sure. But i wouldn`t swap some of the seasons where its ended in heartbreak because you need to be up there first and foremost for that to happen. I would never expect a Hobo to admit it but Hearts mindset has always been to try and win the league one day. Yes, we`ve fell short but thats only because we tried. All those second places at the end of the 80`s and early 90`s came about because of a determination to be the best. And there was the 3rd place in 98 where we finished only 7 points behind the winners and of course 2006.

Whether its viewed delusionary or not by our rivals i don`t care, but in the minds of Hearts fans we KNOW we can challenge again at the very least because those years from the past give us belief. Thats what football is about. But don`t tie Hibs with Hearts in the underachiever bracket. I reckon you`re basing it on Hibs failures in semis recently or the final v Livi but a wide variety of teams reach semis over the years.......the proof of an underachieving team for me is a strong league side who everyone knows should be picking up cups along with a good league season....but don`t win silverware. Perfect example being Hearts in the late 80`s, early90`s.

The man who was at the head of the develpoment of Hibs so-called "golden generation" of ratboy, murray, caldwell, broonaldo, o'connor etc etc has also now buggered off to the Tims in the west, along with half of that team.

Hibs, as usual, are living on past glories.

Charlie-Brown

You've got to love the delusion of castle & the other hobo lurkers who believe and are re-inforced by the kind of unthinking tripe Andy Walker wrote at the weekend.

Any glance at teamlines this season would show that Jamie MacDonald, Mark Ridgers, Jason Thomson, Craig Thomson, Lee Wallace, Eggert Jonsson, Conrad Balatoni, Dylan McGowan, Paul Mulrooney, Jonathan Stewart, Scott Robinson, David Templeton, Andy Driver, Ryan Wallace, Arvydas Novikovas, Rocky Visconte, Callum Elliot, Jamie Mole, Gary Glen & Gordon Smith have all played or appeared in matchday squads in the SPL this season.

That's TWENTY players this season who have come through from Hearts youth teams ranks in recent times. FOURTEEN of them are Scottish for those who make a big thing about that.

Name me any other SPL team this season that's been able to name 20 players on matchdays from their youth system nevermind stay in the top half of the league table.

Archived