wind turbines

Ba Baracus

this might seem a bit strange but when i pass these things near to a road they scare me, sinister big feckers, i imagine myself strapped to one of the blades going round and round.

scottishguy

If you ever get the chance to get real close to them,try standing underneath the blades as the come round at upto 200mph on the larger turbines,thats really freaky:hat2:

If you ever get the chance to get real close to them,try standing underneath the blades as the come round at upto 200mph on the larger turbines,thats really freaky:hat2:

i think i will pass on that.... there are new huge efforts on m74 passed them tonight

this might seem a bit strange but when i pass these things near to a road they scare me, sinister big feckers, i imagine myself strapped to one of the blades going round and round.

The 1st time I saw them on Soutra was not long after they were put up. I was working and heading to Bathgate at 1 in the morning. Snow was falling as I drove up the hill and when I saw them I thought wtf is that. I honestly thought we had been invaded by aliens! It was about 10 seconds before I realised. I felt a right idiot. Must admit my heart was racing pretty fast!

I love the look of them. First saw them in California. A huge wind farm in the deserty scrub. Looked awe inspiring.

Great to see a creation of man that is not destroying the environment.

ecophoto.jpg

Jam Tarts 1874

Why can't we be more inventive with them. In the Netherlands their wind turbines run along the sides of the roads and are painted various colours, they look great.

Better looking than a nuclear power plant though, eh?

sellafield.jpg

no issue with the principle at all. although i dont think torness is an eye sore.

Im the exact same, i think they're great. And as an engineer i can appreciate them for what they are/do....

...but i've always found them awfy sinister for some reason which i can't quite put my finger on. Big antenna towers like the one at the top of Blackford Hill do the same thing to me.

Miller Jambo 60
Why can't we be more inventive with them. In the Netherlands their wind turbines run along the sides of the roads and are painted various colours, they look great.

Maroon and white stripes , big team , big turbines.:2thumbsup:

Randle P McMurphy

They give me similar feelings to when I see one of those Chinook helicopters, definitely something sinister about them, must be the rotors.

Im the exact same, i think they're great. And as an engineer i can appreciate them for what they are/do....

...but i've always found them awfy sinister for some reason which i can't quite put my finger on. Big antenna towers like the one at the top of Blackford Hill do the same thing to me.

I think its the "hive" effect. The cellular layout of them is very uniform. I know thats sinister but cant describe why:D

I think they're awesome though. Crisp, white and clean.

My uncle was involved in the ones in Orkney I think, so we got right underneath the ones there.

Awe inspiring things, I think they look great.

I know what you mean guys I get dizzy looking up at high buildings, towers etc....... So I would stand under one for a laugh but I think I would be screaming :smiley2:

I just drove back from Las Vegas and my wife and I were commenting on the number of wind turbines that we saw on this trip. They probably because of the vast spaces were a long way from the highway we were on and they were not an eyesore. Coincidentally to your post I commented that it was surprising that no one had started painting in an arty type of way on them. They could in the case of the ones I saw and the distance involved possibly be painted a colour that would blend them in with the scenic background, it was just a thought, realising that the background would change colour because of the seasons.

Archived