Derby Tactics

NB GIN

Midfield is the key area for us due to possible injuries 

I hope he doesn’t go with 4 central midfielders again which clearly doesn’t work we have to have a bit width in the team  and I think we look a better team with Morrison In it 

Also Djoum is far superior in the middle than on the left 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• TheBigO

• Pasquale for King

• dannymack

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Probably the key position on Saturday and fortunately we’ll have 4 options in Haring, Lee, Djoum and a fresh Bozanic

Doyle

Godinho Smith Berra Garuccio

Haring

Lee         Djoum

Morrison                            Clare

Naismith

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

Hibs' tactics will be to kick us off the park, as usual. As for us, I'd like to see Morrison and Mulraney on the wings, actually getting past players and cutting in or getting crosses into the box.

Hibs will no doubt put Marvin “bum finger” Bartley in for his routine kicking of our players. We’ll need decent width due to the size of the pitch. No McLean plz

Attack this Hibs team their defence from front to back is their weakness. Do not  give any of them a minute's piece and fight fire with fire. 

Captain Bubblebeard
52 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Haring and Djoum may not be fit. 

Would be a (further) total disaster if so. Any word on how unlikely they are to make it. Can’t see us winning without those two.

From the last 5/6 derbies I expect the ball to be in the air a lot! My worry is first and second balls especially in our attacking third as nothing seems to stick when we are resorted to this. Hanlon ambrose and mcgregor are all very commanding in the air so we really need to make sure we pick up second balls and try and play football in their half! 

Playing this way, we need energy and bite in the middle of the park and also players willing to push up and support our front man/2 men. I would play Naismith up top on his own to make a nuisance of

himself and he is actually not bad in the air for his size. We would also need to make sure djoum and the wide men playing were close to Naismith to eneae us to pick up second balls. I’d also play Morrison and Demi on the other side for a bit of pace and something different. Playing a lee or someone similar out wide just gives us nothing. At least Morrison and Demi would give us pace and we at least have a threat going forward if we can get the ball to them in the right areas of the pitch

1 hour ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Probably the key position on Saturday and fortunately we’ll have 4 options in Haring, Lee, Djoum and a fresh Bozanic

Doyle

Haring

Lee         Djoum

Naismith

That;s the team for me.

And if the ref gives Bartley the red card which he deserves every time he plays against us, I think it's a team which can win for us.  Naismith can lead a line and I think that's what we need more than him playing role dropping to midfield, as we're OK in there with the three you've selected.  Clare and Morrison need to play high up the park and give their FB's something to think about rather than having the run of the lines.

Just hope all 11 you've selected there are fit to play.

No MacLean is the big one for me.  He's a man short just now and desperately needs to go back to being more of a bit part, horses for courses player.

Doyle

Haring

Lee         Djoum

Naismith

I like this team but still think Mitchell is a good player ( not LB) would have him on instead of Clare 

good team ?

A_A wehatethehibs

I think we should look play some good passing football & score goals instead of making the game a “battle” ie. a boring clogfest.

Genuinely have been a bit bored with recent derbies when some of the biggest cheers from the Hearts side have been for a tackle going in. We’ve partly stopped the rot in this fixture but we need to start looking for goals against that mob. It feels like a long time since there was a high scoring “we’ll score more than you” derby.

Steven Naismith is without question the best quality player on the pitch, we need to use him properly, get him in the box in scoring positions. He can be devastating in this fixture if we can properly let him loose on Hibs. 

6 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I think we should look play some good passing football & score goals instead of making the game a “battle” ie. a boring clogfest.

Genuinely have been a bit bored with recent derbies when some of the biggest cheers from the Hearts side have been for a tackle going in. We’ve partly stopped the rot in this fixture but we need to start looking for goals against that mob. It feels like a long time since there was a high scoring “we’ll score more than you” derby.

Steven Naismith is without question the best quality player on the pitch, we need to use him properly, get him in the box in scoring positions. He can be devastating in this fixture if we can properly let him loose on Hibs. 

I think that's always our plan.  I'm sure Levein sends them out to be brave and get the ball and play.  When the players cross that line, that's harder to do than it seems I reckon.  I often think it, I've played in front of a hundred or two, and just can't imagine the pressure of 20,000 frothing nutters (plus me...ahem)!!!!

Think it was the last derby where Levein said he wasn't happy at half time and told the players to get on the ball.  The first half of the last derby was some of the worst football I've ever seen!!!  Both sets of players just booting the ball really hard in the direction they were facing!  Even before Kamberi was sent off, we'd got the ball down and were playing in the second half though.

Contrary to popular belief, we're often the team in the derby who try to play the football and Hibs basically resort to kicking us.  Maybe less so at ER I suppose, but still to an extent.

We need to get in their defenders faces and not allow them easy out balls - they'll give us the ball, and when they do, we need to be quick, incisive and brave.

Doyle

Haring

Lee         Djoum

Naismith

I would be delighted to see that team on Saturday.

Will Cochrane be back? If so i’d go

Doyle

Haring Cochrane*

Morrison Djoum Clare 

Naisy 

* Bozanic if Cochrane is out, brings better balance to the team than Lee does and is just a better player. 

1 hour ago, boag1874 said:

Hibs will no doubt put Marvin “bum finger” Bartley in for his routine kicking of our players. We’ll need decent width due to the size of the pitch. No McLean plz

I’ll be surprised if he plays he’s been out injured. They have an incredible amount of players out. We have to go at them with width!!

The Old Tolbooth

I just want us to go there and have a go and try to win, rather than play not to lose. I'm liking the line up above without Mclean though. 

Clancy will give them everything regardless of our approach so we’re as well kicking, scratching and biting our way through the game.

First goal crucial. Set pieces could be pivotal. Our gk  and centre halves need to be at it.

Another no show from the team down there simply isn’t acceptable.

Edited by El Diez

2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

McLean will be playing. Why he came off yesterday to keep fresh

I just don't get what he brings other than a body!  Not the way we're playing at the moment.  When we had Uche and Naismith, he was excellent with clever movement to open up and/or exploit space.  He didn't really do too much on the ball, and when he did he had space and time to do the right and simple thing with it.  He also dropped to midfield at the right time and was a real nuisance when we didn't have the ball.

As it is, playing right up top, he needs to play a more active part of the game.  He doesn't bring the ball in and hold it.  He doesn't pop it off first time.  He doesn't get his body in and win freekicks.  He isn't a goal threat.  He doesn't even really move players around the create gaps (this is maybe as much to do with the fact he seems to be asked to play with in the width of the box, so possibly he's not asked to create those gaps).

He's as close as literally a man down.  I just don't get it.  I'd honestly have had something like Demi and Morrison, or even Amankwaa (maybe, not!) up top instead of him, I really would have.  Even if these guys didn't do much, and would be a bit out of water up there, it couldn't have been less effective than SM and they'd have at least been a pest to defenders and given them hard choices through some pace and trickery - cause a bit panic at the very least.  Defenders have a very easy ride against MacLean.

Anyway, I appreciate his effort, he just hasn't been the answer.  He just might pop one in on Saturday!

10 minutes ago, cheetah said:

CL will defend first and look for a breakaway goal and be happy with a draw.

I think that this is exactly what will happen and I'd bite your hand off for a draw right now because of those tactics.

3 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I think that this is exactly what will happen and I'd bite your hand off for a draw right now because of those tactics.

Not so sure.  Look at it two ways I suppose.  We only have one (semi) fit CB.  So our best form of defense is attack, including defending from the front and winning the ball high up the park/forcing them to play long and out the park.  We have ball players in midfield, wide and up top.  We need to play possession when we have it.  That all makes sense.  I think it's what he'll do.

He COULD think, we've no defenders, so we just need to set up solid and play his midfield deep to cover the back 4.  He could think that, but I don't think he will.

22 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

McLean will be playing. Why he came off yesterday to keep fresh

I think we'll start with the same team, with Clare coming off the bench around 55/60 mins.

Wouldn't be surprised if Clare started over Maclean though. 

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Them not having Beep Beep Boyle playing, helps us. 

Shouldn't be too much chasing back daft, for the defence. He says, with trepidation.

That is a big help.  Kamberi will be doing his best to play on Smith and they'll be hitting playing off him.  Smith is pretty wily though and won't be bullied.

Just had a look on whoputtheballinthehibs.net and was surprised to see the lack of confidence in the hibs camp after their last couple of results

Apparently they're going to have quite a lot of players unavailable for this game, the general consensus was a line up of:

Bogdan

Ambrose

McGregor

Hanlon

Gray

Slivka

Mallan

Hyndman

Mackie(?)

Kamberi

Shaw

with the only other available players being Horgan, Whittaker and the kids. That midfield looks atrocious 

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Yeah, I've no concerns there. They'll target Godinho though, I'd reckon.

They probably should.  Both fullbacks to be fair.  Not unhappy with Godinho or Garuccio individually, but they're our weak point you'd have to concede.  Wonder if he may play Brandon.  Be a big call.

1 minute ago, BigAlim said:

Just had a look on whoputtheballinthehibs.net and was surprised to see the lack of confidence in the hibs camp after their last couple of results

Apparently they're going to have quite a lot of players unavailable for this game, the general consensus was a line up of:

Bogdan

Ambrose

McGregor

Hanlon

Gray

Slivka

Mallan

Hyndman

Mackie(?)

Kamberi

Shaw

with the only other available players being Horgan, Whittaker and the kids. That midfield looks atrocious 

No Porteous?

That midfield is very poor, but Mallan could bang one in from anywhere, so we need to be on them.  Get right in Ambrose's face when he has the ball.

Turn up and hope the Vermin stay in the dressing, might prove some off the JKB experts right then.

I expect Hibs to come at us from the get go and test our ropey defence, if we survive the 1st 20 minutes without to many scares and are able to shut up the Spoon burners in the crowd the usual midfield battle will break out. 

After that it's anybody's game. 

17 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

They probably should.  Both fullbacks to be fair.  Not unhappy with Godinho or Garuccio individually, but they're our weak point you'd have to concede.  Wonder if he may play Brandon.  Be a big call.

No Porteous?

That midfield is very poor, but Mallan could bang one in from anywhere, so we need to be on them.  Get right in Ambrose's face when he has the ball.

Lennon saying Porteous is injured.

It's a shame because our first choice 11 would batter that lot even  at Easter Road . Godinho is a massive worry and the fact that a few of our players could get posted missing if the going gets tough . 

Probsbly be a draw but any y result is possible. Just hope we turn up , play with a bit of pride in the jersey and don't bottle it there again . 

I'd have naismith tucked in behind mclean controlling the final third. Thought we last his influence a little when he moved up top when mclean went off. 

He created everything yesterday with little flicks and nodded headers and chests to set others off. Oh how I can't wait to have uche in the middle to finish these chances off 

I'd start bozanic in midfield over Lee. You need to have a bit of dig in this game and Lee doesn't seem up for a battle, whereas bozanic gets stuck in. 

Hopefully we'll play naismith up top himself, with djoum just off him. However, we all know Levein will likely stick with McLean!

3 hours ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Doyle

Haring

Lee         Djoum

Naismith

That team'll do for me, I just hope that Haring and Djoum are fit.

8 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

I'd start bozanic in midfield over Lee. You need to have a bit of dig in this game and Lee doesn't seem up for a battle, whereas bozanic gets stuck in. 

Hopefully we'll play naismith up top himself, with djoum just off him. However, we all know Levein will likely stick with McLean!

I’ve been pleased with Bozanic so far but I was less than impressed yesterday. I’d be shocked if he made more than 2 forwards passes. Lee was tremendous at the start of the season and yesterday was more like it from him. Hopefully we will have the lions share of the ball and hibs will be worrying about who has enough dig.

Be prepared for the traditional whirlwind Hibs start and try not to concede in 1st 10 minutes 

Godinho will get targeted by them. 

Mulraney has a part to play 

3 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Hibs' tactics will be to kick us off the park, as usual. As for us, I'd like to see Morrison and Mulraney on the wings, actually getting past players and cutting in or getting crosses into the box.

Exactly this. It’s been their tactic since Lennon came in. Try and disable Hearts players and dive and scream foul every second.

1 hour ago, El Diez said:

Another no show from the team down there simply isn’t acceptable.

Unfortunately my mind is telling me this will be the case, the end result may well be 4 thousand very angry Hearts fans.

Hearts have shown absolutely NOTHING in the past few visits down there to bolster my confidence levels when it comes to fight, desire and passion.

43 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Porteous and Stevenson out for Hibs, along with Bartley. The Australian trio are out also. 

They're gonna have a makeshift team.  Get in about them and they will crumble.

I'd read that Porteous and Stevenson were injury doubts, but didn't know about Bartley. Is he in jail or something?