What are you going to watch at the festival?

DVB

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• the general

• DVB

• All roads lead to Gorgie

• Shanks said no

Governor Tarkin

Saw Hal Cruttenden at the Pleasance last night on a whim. Was inoffensively amusing. Would recommend.

Fxxx the SPFL

Going to see Choir of Man at assembly George ST on Wednesday saw this show last year really good get in the front rows they hand out free beers 

Fxxx the SPFL
On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 19:33, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

Going to see Choir of Man at assembly George ST on Wednesday saw this show last year really good get in the front rows they hand out free beers 

Brillian foot stomping  show even better than last years only downside is they sing the 500 miles Proclaimers song with the audience joining in. a full house last night. Oh and managed to get a seat in the front row and received a free pint of beer.

Edited by Ray has bus pass hooray

All roads lead to Gorgie
22 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Going to see the Johnny Cash story on Saturday

I saw that and quite enjoyed it. Some documentary footage of the real Johnny Cash on a screen and Jamie Rodden and band on stage below. He doesn't look much like Cash but gets the voice right both singing and speaking. 

The symposium Hall has the best seats of all the venues I have been to, that is a bonus. 

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

Went a couple of weeks ago to my first ever Fringe show. Went to see Daniel Sloss. Wasnt sure what to expect but he was brilliant.

On 16/08/2018 at 12:23, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

Brillian foot stomping  show even better than last years only downside is they sing the 500 miles Proclaimers song with the audience joining in. a full house last night. Oh and managed to get a seat in the front row and received a free pint of beer.

that tent is sure coming in handy

Went to the Carole King story yesterday.

It's very good.

Never knew the amount of songs she wrote for others.

Also a late review for the Sugarhill Gang in North Berwick.

They were brilliant.

On 16/08/2018 at 18:00, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I saw that and quite enjoyed it. Some documentary footage of the real Johnny Cash on a screen and Jamie Rodden and band on stage below. He doesn't look much like Cash but gets the voice right both singing and speaking. 

The symposium Hall has the best seats of all the venues I have been to, that is a bonus. 

Pretty much nailed it. Enjoyed the show. Way too short though

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Pretty much nailed it. Enjoyed the show. Way too short though

Glad you enjoyed it and he really gets everyone singing along to the hits. I still think Hurt is the best bit though although Cash didn't write it.

I went to see Dust at the Assembly Rooms tonight and was really impressed. An arty road trip film across the deserts and towns of the States with ghostly images and a dreamy sound track with rock flourishes played live by a band called the Melomaniacs. Worth checking out for anyone into that type of thing.

An hour well spent!

On 18/08/2018 at 09:31, DVB said:

Went to see Jimeoin last night he was ok but nothing to write home about.

I've seen him twice, both times at the Fringe.  Good the first time, but merely OK the second time.

rudi must stay

Went to see My Land at the Assembly Roxy, it's a show with some great gymnasts with great skill mixed in with music. Very artistic, it was pretty good

All roads lead to Gorgie

I went to see Tony Adams at the book fest last night and enjoyed his talk on overcoming his alcohol problems. His views on Wenger were interesting too as he said he was a tactician but not a very good coach especially for young players coming through. Pat Nevin was very good at hosting the event and both were very open and patient signing the book for a long queue of mostly Gunners fans afterwards. 

The Continental Op

Congratulations to anyone who has tickets for the now sold out My Left/Right Foot - it was brilliant.

Good songs really well delivered, profanity strewn dialogue and jokes and hilarious in its targeting of amateur dramatics and well meaning but inappropriate attitudes to disability.

All roads lead to Gorgie
On 11/08/2018 at 08:40, the general said:

The Five Thirty Cabaret 
Stand's New Town Theatre (George St) 5:30pm Daily
Half-Price Tickets - £3 Book Here

Caught that for three quid on the way home tonight. A camp American Jesus hosting, not my thing but the woman loved him, an Irish comedienne called Mary Bourke, best joke, this is the first time I've been asked to appear out side the EU. A sword swallower, enough said. Ivy Paige brought a bit of glamorous singing to please the men. Then Pip the magic dragon, like Jack Dee does card tricks but very funny finished the hour. 

Different every day I believe but good value and I say that as someone who isn't really a fan of Cabaret. 

luckyBatistuta

Had folk in the taxi raving about an Australian comedian named...Jon Robertson. Now he’s bound to be good.

Just been to see Anthony Jeselink. Hadn't heard of him until we were flyered for him last night. Decided on the spot to buy tickets for tonight and he was brilliant. My favourite show this year and one of the best I've seen in all my years. Only 2 nights though and tonight was the 2nd so that is no good to anyone else. He has a Netflix special and I can only imagine it will be brilliant.

• 1 month later...
On 11/08/2018 at 11:13, AlphonseCapone said:

Been to a couple of the, In Conversation with... Shows that are on at the Freemason's Hall, quite interesting. 

Saw Neil Delamere who I thought was great. And went to Frankie Boyle last night though not technically part of the Fringe I don't think. One of the warm up acts was Fern Brady, she's originally from Bathgate and is on the Live at the BBC show that's up on iPlayer just now. 

Also not sure if it's part of the fringe but went to the summer sessions at the Gardens on Thursday to see the Vaccines and Bastille. Whole set up was good, good vibe, folk enjoying themselves without anyone being a tit. A young Edinburgh band were on first, Retro Video Club, I'd never heard them but they were pretty enjoyable. Watched the fireworks from the Gardens at the end. All in all, very good value for the money I thought. 

I get the moans about living in the city during it all. I'm pretty bipolar about it. Moan like hell going in and out of work each morning then love it when I'm out and about soaking up the atmosphere. The earlier point about Leith Street was bang on. Council need to start making the city better for the folk that live here too. 

Sky Sports used one of Retro Video Clubs tunes on their add today for the Hamilton Game.

AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, maroondevo52 said:

Sky Sports used one of Retro Video Clubs tunes on their add today for the Hamilton Game.

Nice :thumbsup: good on the lads.