• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• iantjambo

• milky_26

• neilnunb

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks even better seeing the replay, the initial ball through to him is slightly behind, he has to check his run but still gets the ball out of his feet and finishes the chance superbly.

I hate it when players get booked for celebrating like that, surely a show of pure emotion like that shouldn't warrant a card.

Big Slim Stylee
10 minutes ago, RobNox said:

Is it only fourth in line who can't turn their engine off?  Third or fifth in line can take the piss (except for excessive sounding of horns) , fourth in line better watch themselves.

Third you’re pushing it with the odd gentle rev on the pedal.

1 minute ago, superjack said:

I hate it when players get booked for celebrating like that, surely a show of pure emotion like that shouldn't warrant a card.

Always remember Avram Grant when he managed West Ham saying, totally deadpan, "From now on I will tell my players to go to funeral when they score goal."

shaun.lawson
3 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Best Swiss side I think I've seen. 

Same here. Resilient as ever, but with so much more now.

Btw, on the Serbia/Croatia discussion earlier: there's another element to this result. Switzerland's manager is Bosnian. :D 

2 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Oooh one of Serbia and Brazil heading out :pleasing:

not necessarily, if serbia either draw or beat brazil and switzerland lose to costa rica there is scenarios where both brazil and serbia would go through

shaun.lawson
Just now, milky_26 said:

not necessarily, if serbia either draw or beat brazil and switzerland lose to costa rica there is scenarios where both brazil and serbia would go through

Are Switzerland really going to lose to Costa Rica though? 

Just now, shaun.lawson said:

Are Switzerland really going to lose to Costa Rica though? 

were germany going to lose to mexico

Great game.

Fantastic finish.

£12m for him is an absolute bargain in todays market.

5 minutes ago, Thaw said:

Always remember Avram Grant when he managed West Ham saying, totally deadpan, "From now on I will tell my players to go to funeral when they score goal."

I remember loving it when stampy and beattie got bookings for the same. Pointless bookings though, in big games like these, some discretion should be shown by the ref.

shaun.lawson

If Germany win tomorrow, definite prospect of Brazil playing conservatively v Serbia and hoping to finish 2nd in the group...

shaun.lawson
2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

were germany going to lose to mexico

Good point well made. :laugh:  Costa Rica are awful though. 

3 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Yeah, I am assuming the Swiss will take something...however, does it go to GD or head to head if teams end level?

John Findlay
1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I think of that England bowler of years ago with no neck. 

Gladstone his name was.

Sepp Blatter is a guest of Vladimir Putin.

Refs helping Swiss big time so far. 

Guess the guidelines on VAR allow grappling in box and pushes. 

shaun.lawson
4 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Gladstone his name was.

Gladstone Small. Legend! 

6 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Yeah, I am assuming the Swiss will take something...however, does it go to GD or head to head if teams end level?

GD

22 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

GD

Goals Scored

H2H

If Brazil and Serbia draw and the Swiss lose then there is a fair chance of Switzerland and Serbia matching in the 1st 3, in which case the Swiss go through on H2H.

Funny game. I had Mitrovic to score first, Serbia 1-0 and Switzerland 2-1!  Had to suddenly change my support to the Swiss when they equalised!

1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

Same here. Resilient as ever, but with so much more now.

Btw, on the Serbia/Croatia discussion earlier: there's another element to this result. Switzerland's manager is Bosnian. :D 

Yikes :wow: 

25 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Funny game. I had Mitrovic to score first, Serbia 1-0 and Switzerland 2-1!  Had to suddenly change my support to the Swiss when they equalised!

:lol: 

Geoff the Mince

A personal touch for both goal scorers is that they were refugees from Kosovo during the war with Serbia 

thier celebration was  the Albanian Eagle  (two hands as wings)

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, Geoff the Mince said:

A personal touch for both goal scorers is that they were refugees from Kosovo during the war with Serbia 

thier celebration was  the Albanian Eagle  (two hands as wings)

I'm not sure that's right, I've read that Shaqiri left when he was a year old, in 92, while the Kosovo war was several years later. Happy to be corrected of course, I don't pretend to have a lot of knowledge on the subject, but I wonder if his family was displaced by the yugoslav wars of the early 90s instead, that would fit the time line. 

Geoff the Mince
8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'm not sure that's right, I've read that Shaqiri left when he was a year old, in 92, while the Kosovo war was several years later. Happy to be corrected of course, I don't pretend to have a lot of knowledge on the subject, but I wonder if his family was displaced by the yugoslav wars of the early 90s instead, that would fit the time line. 

It seems Shaqiri's family fled Kosovo  few years prior to the war , Serbs were already cracking down on Albanians ,

And I see both  players are to be fined due to thier celebration .

Unknown user
6 minutes ago, Geoff the Mince said:

It seems Shaqiri's family fled Kosovo  few years prior to the war , Serbs were already cracking down on Albanians ,

And I see both  players are to be fined due to thier celebration .

That's right, there was a lot of trouble in the early 90s which led to yugoslavia getting kicked out of the 92 Euros. Denmark took their place and won the thing of course. 

My first thought was that it would be harsh for them to be fined, but there's no doubt it's political as hell and therefore banned by fifa. Everyone knows that so they kind of have to fine them really, even though the gestures are understandable. 

11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

That's right, there was a lot of trouble in the early 90s which led to yugoslavia getting kicked out of the 92 Euros. Denmark took their place and won the thing of course. 

My first thought was that it would be harsh for them to be fined, but there's no doubt it's political as hell and therefore banned by fifa. Everyone knows that so they kind of have to fine them really, even though the gestures are understandable. 

They could get sent home.

Certainly not a simple get it ye

Bear in mind too a lot of Swiss do not like the high number of ethnic Albanian / Kosovans in the team. It's controversial. 

As well as great offence to Serbia. 

Politics has a arrived at the World Cup. Not perhaps as predicted. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Unknown user
10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

They could get sent home.

Certainly not a simple get it ye

Bear in mind too a lot of Swiss do not like the high number of ethnic Albanian / Kosovans in the team. It's controversial. 

As well as great offence to Serbia. 

Politics has a arrived at the World Cup. Not perhaps as predicted. 

Yeah, the more I think about it, you're right. It's funny, on the face of it you'd never think Switzerland - Serbia was a particularly political proposition. 

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

After Yugoslavia imploded the Serbs took out their anger on ethnic Albanians and Montenegro. Most folks only remember Croatia/Serbia/Bosnia but there were other ethnic groups who were forgotten. There is a huge moment in Serbian history to do with with a battle with Kosovans/Albanians (bit like Bannockburn to Scots) and has pissed off Albanians ever since.  Much bitterness & resentment over the fact Kosova was allowed by international powers to cede from Serbia. 

Geoff the Mince
5 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

After Yugoslavia imploded the Serbs took out their anger on ethnic Albanians and Montenegro. Most folks only remember Croatia/Serbia/Bosnia but there were other ethnic groups who were forgotten. There is a huge moment in Serbian history to do with with a battle with Kosovans/Albanians (bit like Bannockburn to Scots) and has pissed off Albanians ever since.  Much bitterness & resentment over the fact Kosova was allowed by international powers to cede from Serbia. 

Milosevic  gave a speech in Kosovo 1989 the 600th anniversary of the battle of Kosovo Polje,

that  was when the Serbs  lost a battle to the Ottomans which started centuries of Ottoman rule 

the Serbs always thought of  Kosovo as thier historical heartland .

History lesson/my slaverings over . 

Bindy Badgy
11 hours ago, superjack said:

I hate it when players do it. They know what the penalty is so why put themselves in that position?

If he gets another booking before the semis he'll miss the next game so it's incredibly stupid.