Penalties at the World Cup

Maroon Sailor

11 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

I'm not a fan. Hopefully they never introduce it in Scotland but it's probably inevitable.

I think the more "unbiased" technology the better for the Scottish game. Imagine an AI bot wheeling about Tynecastle making logical decisions and actually sending off Brooney.

Maroon Sailor
4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Can VAR reverse a decision? Say a referee awards a penalty wrongly, can the team on the receiving end have VAR used to reverse the wrong decision?

Just happened with Neymar

15 hours ago, graygo said:

I think it was Mr Lawson who mentioned it but the refs are reluctant to give penalties.

If they don't give it and get it wrong VAR will step in and award it, they can't give it if they don't see it and we all move on.

If they do give it and VAR overrules them they will get slaughtered for seeing something that didn't happen.

There we have it, just happened in the Brazil game.

He won't get slaughtered though as it was the right decision.

Edited by graygo

John Findlay
37 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Just happened with Neymar

So I believe. Never saw 2nd half as I've had to come to work. Hopefully will see it on the highlights programme I'm recording when I get home.

PeterintheRain

Remember when people talk about how if referees cracked down on shirt pulling and fouling at corners then  there'd be 40 penalties every game until the defenders stopped doing it.

The increase in penalties due to using replay is this situation made flesh.

It can also be the case that the higher number of penalties given just reflects reality and the previous low numbers awarded were due to incompetence or outright bias.   

Since he's now beyond any question a cheat, will Ponce de Nemyar be given a 3 match ban? or will Brazil offer another boatload of money, drugs and whores to FIFA and brush it under the carpet?

Maroon Sailor

Another VAR pen. Awarded to Iceland

Lost count the number of VAR pens now but there has been one pen over turned by VAR.

Either poor officials or completely bottling it to make a decision now

10 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Another VAR pen. Awarded to Iceland

Lost count the number of VAR pens now but there has been one pen over turned by VAR.

Either poor officials or completely bottling it to make a decision now

Either way the correct decision  is being reached.

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Either way the correct decision  is being reached.

Not always

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

When has it been wrong?

Australia penalty

Maroon Sailor

Might as well bring in a rule that refs are not allowed to award penalties as VAR will get it right anyway.

8 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Australia penalty

That was worth a rewatch from the Ref in my opinion. Which is all VAR is designed to offer. It's a soft handball but the boys arm was in an awkward unatural position at the same time.

VAR can never give the right decision 100% of the time. Penalties, Red cards, handball etc are not objective decisions.

The benefits have far outweighed any controversy.

Without the justified penalties we would be looking at a much different batch of group tables at the moment.

13 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Might as well bring in a rule that refs are not allowed to award penalties as VAR will get it right anyway.

The ref still has the final say.

Maroon Sailor
11 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Penalties not given to England and Serbia. 

Has VAR given a penalty for grappling ?

If that foul on Mitro wasn't considered then what will it take ? He was getting wrestled by 2 defenders and still managed to get some kind of header towards goal

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Has VAR given a penalty for grappling ?

If that foul on Mitro wasn't considered then what will it take ? He was getting wrestled by 2 defenders and still managed to get some kind of header towards goal

While refs have given a lot of free kicks to benefit of defending team at corners for more minor pulling / pushing. 

Grappling now accepted in football. 

12 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Those are examples of VAR not being utilised when it should have, and I agree that both of those instances should have been penalties.  When VAR has intervened, the correct decision has been made, other than maybe Australia, but that was a very marginal call and VAR will never ensure every decision is 100% perfect.  It will however ensure that the vast majority of decisions are correct - the clear cut errors should be eradicated, but there will always be marginal calls where it comes down to a referee's interpretation.

On your point regarding the England and Serbia penalties, I think this is something VAR has to look at.  There is often a lot of grappling in the box at set pieces, very often the attacker and defender giving as good as they get, but in those two incidents, the attackers were not engaging in any sort of pushing and shoving, but were blatantly taken out by defenders.  If VAR started to award penalties for these sort of incidents, it might make defenders think twice before getting involved in a wrestling match and start to cut down on some of that nonsense.

38 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Without VAR those would still not have been given...

It is strange that theres at least 3 times when penalties probably should have been awarded that VAR hasn't been referred too.

It's not an argument to get rid of it though. It comes down to the man sitting in the room with his wee ref kit on.

Edited by hughesie27

1 minute ago, RobNox said:

Those are examples of VAR not being utilised when it should have, and I agree that both of those instances should have been penalties.  When VAR has intervened, the correct decision has been made, other than maybe Australia, but that was a very marginal call and VAR will never ensure every decision is 100% perfect.  It will however ensure that the vast majority of decisions are correct - the clear cut errors should be eradicated, but there will always be marginal calls where it comes down to a referee's interpretation.

On your point regarding the England and Serbia penalties, I think this is something VAR has to look at.  There is often a lot of grappling in the box at set pieces, very often the attacker and defender giving as good as they get, but in those two incidents, the attackers were not engaging in any sort of pushing and shoving, but were blatantly taken out by defenders.  If VAR started to award penalties for these sort of incidents, it might make defenders think twice before getting involved in a wrestling match and start to cut down on some of that nonsense.

Nothing wrong in what you've said.

VAR was used for the Kane and Mitrovic incidents. The VAR officials decided not to raise with referree to check. 

Just now, hughesie27 said:

But why are clear fouls that should be penalties being allowed to pass? 

Just now, hughesie27 said:

Controversial.

You don’t know that.

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

See my edit.

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Correct.

2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

It is strange that theres at least 3 times when penalties probably should have been awarded that VAR hasn't been referred too.

It's not an argument to get rid of it though. It comes down to the man sitting in the room with his wee ref kit on.

I don't mind it isn't perfect. It's been okay and very good its all been done fairly quickly. 

I'm more bothered that refs seem to have added grappling to say the shoulder charge as allowable. Not just at World Cup. Big Zal could make a comeback. 

gashauskis9
On 22/06/2018 at 14:41, Ray Gin said:

The move to VAR has been a good one IMO. Hope we get it in Scotland some time soon.

VAR in Scotland = Void Against Rangers