Randall on leaving Hearts

Clerry Jambo

Clerry Jambo

Liverpool’s Connor Randall sad to leave Hearts after season on loan

Barry Anderson
6-7 minutes

Connor Randall heads south to parent club Liverpool with sadness after an enjoyable year on loan at Hearts. Pic: SNS

Connor Randall heads south to parent club Liverpool with sadness after an enjoyable year on loan at Hearts. Pic: SNS

Published: 06:30 Tuesday 24 April 2018

Connor Randall rejoins iconic superstars like Roberto Firmino, Mo Salah and Sadio Mane at Liverpool in July. He will front up at the Melwood training complex with the appropriate heavy heart, though.

Leaving Tynecastle after a season-long loan will be more difficult than perhaps the player expected. Hearts have given him regular first-team football, a platform to showcase his talents and invaluable experience for a 22-year-old.

He has made 26 appearances with four games left of the Scottish Premiership campaign and fully intends reaching 30 before bidding Edinburgh farewell. Randall was informed last week by Hearts manager Craig Levein that he won’t be invited back next year. All good things must come to an end.

The decision does not reflect his form at right-back, where he has been assured and dependable for months. It is simply the case that Hearts are overcrowded in that position. Michael Smith, Jamie Brandon and Marcus Godinho are all right-sided full-backs, plus Liam Smith is due back from a loan spell at St Mirren in June.

That creates the rather peculiar situation of a contracted Liverpool player being surplus to requirements at Hearts.

“I could see it coming, to be fair. I know there are other positions Hearts are looking to strengthen and I know there are some good right-backs here already. It wasn’t a massive surprise,” said Randall, speaking exclusively to the Evening News.

“It’s been a great experience and I’ve fully enjoyed being at Hearts. I’ve enjoyed playing for this club and I’m leaving with some fond memories. I’m glad I came here.

“I’m sad to go because it’s a great club with a great set of fans and a really good group of lads. Hearts are going in the right direction and I think there are some exciting times ahead for them.

“I think next season could be a good season and I hope it’s a successful one for them. I wish them all the best for the future and I’ll definitely be sad when I’m leaving.

“We had our end-of-season reviews the other day and the gaffer told me he was pleased with me. In any other situation, he said he would’ve tried to keep me. He said he needs other players in other positions. There are a lot of right-backs at the club at the moment so it’s just a case of timing. That’s football.”

If he is feeling slightly melancholy, sitting down tonight to watch his Liverpool colleagues tackle Roma in the Champions League semi-finals should perk him up. Randall’s Anfield contract runs until summer 2019 and he knows he faces an almighty challenge to command a place in Jurgen Klopp’s squad.

A year at Hearts let him show what he can do over a sustained period of time. “That was the plan. Hopefully some performances this season have shown what I can do and if other people have seen it, then great,” he said.

“All you can do is concentrate on performing and, if something comes of it, then great. I’m hoping that happens in the summer.”

He is realistic enough to know another loan for next season is a strong possibility. In that sense, he is well prepared after an eventful time in Scotland. He was signed by Hearts as a midfielder, then head coach Ian Cathro was sacked and he reverted to right-back under Levein.

“It’s been a lot about adapting. When I first came in, there was a lot going on,” recalled Randall. “I was just happy to get a full season of proper football. Your body adapts. I had a few niggling injuries in the first half of the season but that’s just the body getting used to the training and playing each week. I’m feeling stronger for it now.

“It’s been valuable experience that I wouldn’t have had. Being a young player, you’ve got to get that experience under your belt. People look for players who have played games. It’s important you build your CV, so wherever you go you want to play. I managed to get a decent number of appearances this season, which I’ve been pleased with.

“We’ve got four games left now so I’m not quite done yet. We need to bounce back and improve on Sunday’s performance at Rangers. We know we can play better than that. We have a few big games left and hopefully we can finish on a high for the fans.”

Then it’s the daunting task of fighting for a place back at Liverpool. “It’s a great squad, as everyone knows, and the team are doing really well. I’ll just concentrate on myself, go back there in the summer and see what happens. I’ll keep myself ready for whatever is next for me. That’s all you can do, stay fit and strong. I want to get myself in a team somewhere next year and make sure I’m playing football again. That’s all I want to do, play games.”

Would he do another loan?

“Yes, 100 per cent. The experience and games are vital. If you want to grow as a player and a person, this move has done both for me. It’s something I’ll keep with me to look back on and use the learning curve. I’ll take what I learned at Hearts with me no matter where my next step is.”

I Like Connor as a player, once he got used to the Scottish game he could put in some good performances.

wish him all the best.

Bazzas right boot

good luck.

always gave 100% and a decent defender.

extremely limited as a footballer tho, particularly as he is with Liverpool I expected a bit more.

neverless, all the best. likeable guy.

Cut The Crap

Hard-working laddie.

Not markedly better than any of the right backs we already had at the club when he signed though in my opinion. 

Honest pro but how he ever got a contract with Liverpool is beyond me. Not good enough for a Hearts so no chance of ever breaking into Liverpool team. 

The Treasurer

Decent player who has never given less that 100% in every match.

I doubt he'll make it into the Liverpool team but I'm sure he'll have a good career at a decent level.

Would be nice if he signed off with a goal against the wee team

Gorgie_Rules

Was very impressive early part of the season once Levein came in, been consistent since. Think he'll make a decent career for himself down south

Makes sense for us to go with Godinho/Brandon/Smith than use up a fairly decent salary that can be used elsewhere.

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

All the best to the lad and I hope he goes on to have a decent career.  Cannot see it being with Liverpool, though.

As I posted in another thread I am very sad to see Connor leave and wish him all the very best in his career. I have no doubt he will make a decent living out of football and having spoken to his parents at numerous games they really loved hearts and would have liked him to stay. That is football though and we are very well covered in that position of the field. I shall miss the various chats with his mum and dad giving a valuable insight into life as parents of a football player and the sacrifices that have to be made.All the very best for the future and I really mean that. A special message to Mum stay well.

Always puts 100% in. What cathro was thinking bring him in at midfield is just another puzzling thing from the cathro revolution!

Hope he gets a chance at Liverpool but reckon he will go on loan again to Championship or somewhere.

He's been an above average performer this season and i will be sad to see him go.

His best performance was probably in the 0-0 v Aberdeen at Murrayfield. He was phenomenal that day.

Captain Sausage

Good comments about the club.

Think Randall has a great attitude but is not a great footballer. Had Brandon not picked up the injury, had we another central midfielder so Smith wasn't filling in there, then I doubt we'd have seen much from him.

All the best for the future to him though, so long as he doesn't come back up here.

Had some great performances and some not so good ones but overall a no nonsense right back who put in a shift whenever he played. Not sure where he will end up - perhaps an English championship team.

played a blinder against Sinclair in the 4-0 gubbing of celtic, started poorly then hit a real stride of form for a while but eventually dipped again, can't fault his attitude whatsoever and he's fit as a fiddle so he'll make a good living out of the game, all the best Conor

13 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Would love to be a fly on the wall for the players "end-of-season reviews"

Players were lucky they were last week before the Rangers game! LOL

Had it not been for the emergence of Godinho this season I think we would have explored the option of keeping Connor. Had some really good games in maroon and always gave his all. Def more at home at RB than he was in midfield though. Reminded me a lot of Maybury for some reason, but physically stronger. Wish him well wherever he ends up

Fair play to the guy, never hid and as everyone says always gave 100%.  You couldn’t completely rule out him coming back at some point. Best of luck meantime. 

Seymour M Hersh
4 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Decent player who has never given less that 100% in every match.

I doubt he'll make it into the Liverpool team but I'm sure he'll have a good career at a decent level.

Would be nice if he signed off with a goal against the wee team

He's played 3 first team games, 2 league cup and 1 EPL. That'll be it I suspect though as he will be trying to oust Trent Alexander-Arnold, Joe Gomez and Nathanial Clyne, two of which are full England internationals and the third will undoubtably be one. A tough ask for anyone tbh.

letsalldothebeattie

Sad to see he isn't one we are looking to keep on, I know we have plenty RBs just now but ive been very impressed with him this season. I would've loved to see us keep him. Wish him well though wherever his career takes him, maybe one day see him back at Tynie in Maroon again

If we didn't need to balance Smith, Smith, Godinho and Brandon I'd 100% want to keep him but being 4 deep in a less essential position like RB means we can't afford to keep him at the expense of CM or wingers. Shame as I really liked Randall once he got playing in his actual position.

Always impressed by his effort. 

Still a developing player though and this was clear over the season. Sometimes graft goes a long way in football and makes up for limitations/weakness. I think he’ll continue to improve but if we have players coming through then it makes little sense to retain him. 

He’ll easily get a new club IMO.

Lucille's Thirsty

How on earth is has he still got a contract at Liverpool?  Mediocre player gives his all but nothing to shout about. All the best to him.

davemclaren

We have Smith and Godhino so covered for right back. No surprise to see him return but will be interesting to see where he ultimately ends up. 

4 hours ago, Homme said:

He's been an above average performer this season and i will be sad to see him go.

His best performance was probably in the 0-0 v Aberdeen at Murrayfield. He was phenomenal that day.

Agreed. Thought he was an absolute stand out that day.

Good player at our level and as others have said,  always came over as a decent lad. Hope he manages to forge a decent wee career for himself 

Regal Kingston

All the best to him but I dont see the point in playing him in our remaining games. Put Smith there and give one of the young lads a shot in midfield. 

Looks a bit short of pace to play at the top level but he certainly has the commitment and desire to succeed. 

Phil Dunphy

Sad to see him go, I liked his effort in a Hearts jersey and has played his part. 

I understand why we’re not keeping him on though, we’re so well stacked in the right back area. If only he could play on the other side. 

gashauskis9

Suffered badly as a result of our wing back conundrum.  I really rate the lad and have no doubt he’ll carve out a good career in the championship.

Good luck chief ?

rudi must stay
9 hours ago, Smithee said:

Connor's one of the good guys, I wish him well

Definately. He reminds me alot of Gary Neville, not alot of talent but incredibly hard working with a great attitude. I saw he was playing for Bury last season, I really hope his performances have caught a good clubs eye and he gets a good move

Edited by rudi must stay

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Would love to be a fly on the wall for the players "end-of-season reviews"

Especially since it had 5 games to go eh?

I liked Randall and hoped we would get him back for next season. I thought he gave 100% when in the side. All the best Connor Randall & thanks for your contribution this season. 

On 24/04/2018 at 08:44, NEWSTAND said:

As I posted in another thread I am very sad to see Connor leave and wish him all the very best in his career. I have no doubt he will make a decent living out of football and having spoken to his parents at numerous games they really loved hearts and would have liked him to stay. That is football though and we are very well covered in that position of the field. I shall miss the various chats with his mum and dad giving a valuable insight into life as parents of a football player and the sacrifices that have to be made.All the very best for the future and I really mean that. A special message to Mum stay well.

HI MATE I AM CONNOR RANDALLS BROTHER IN LAW I HAVE SENT YOU A DIRECT MESSAGE THAT HIS DAD ASKED ME TO GET TO YOU IF YOU COULD HAVE A READ AND GET IN TOUCH CHEERS

Really like Randall. Great effort never less than 100%. Definitely a right back. Was outstanding against celtic in the 4-0 game and the boy has an engine. Must be one of the fittest boys in the squad. 

He will be a decent Acquisition for any side and I am sure championship level in England would be a decent fit for him. Good luck to him

All roads lead to Gorgie

He stuck to his task well but the over all weakness in the set up of this Hearts team meant like others he was maybe unable to show what he could really do consistently. Best of luck Connor in the future.

Connor got better as the season progressed and ended up a reliable performer. I'm sure he would have been kept on if he had been a left back.  Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at a team like Cardiff who play his type of football.

Enjoyed him being in the team with some decent performances. Showed his potential in the 4-0 Celtic game. He did well at left back in the Motherwell cup tie. Good future ahead if he can find a club that doesn't have an abundance of right backs.