Horse Racing

Armageddon

Scottish Grand National

I’m on Glencairn View and Regal Flow tomorrow ??????

These arent tips, just saying what I’m backing.

chester copperpot

I am backing Vintage Clouds just to **** up all bets.

Won it once, never since.

I really am the one to avoid when it comes to tips. My Cheltenham this year was a disaster!

Edited by chester copperpot

Captain Sausage

As a seasoned horse racing punter who has called the last two winners of the Grand National, I shall assess the horse names and jockey colors before providing my prediction. 

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

Never put a bet on a horse in my life, I like the dugs.

We already knew that :D

Edited by iantjambo

J.T.F.Robertson
10 hours ago, houstonjambo said:

As a seasoned horse racing punter who has called the last two winners of the Grand National, I shall assess the horse names and jockey colors before providing my prediction. 

If the Sporting Life's illustration is correct, I imagine you knocked it off then. Excellent handicapping. ;)

On 21/04/2018 at 10:05, Morgan said:

Henri Parry Morgan :sweeet:

That went well :facepalm:

23 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Never put a bet on a horse in my life, I like the dugs. 

Old news :wink:

On 20/04/2018 at 22:55, Sooperstar said:

I have blindly gone for Vintage Clouds.

On 21/04/2018 at 00:03, Zico said:

Vintage Clouds for me. 

On 21/04/2018 at 00:06, chester copperpot said:

I am backing Vintage Clouds just to **** up all bets.

Won it once, never since.

I really am the one to avoid when it comes to tips. My Cheltenham this year was a disaster!

Hope you all had it each way. 1/4 odds at 12/1, not too bad!

Bridge of Djoum

A ''sport"' which only exists so sad ***** can bet.

You can argue all you want, it serves absolutely no other purpose.

chester copperpot
11 hours ago, H2 said:

Hope you all had it each way. 1/4 odds at 12/1, not too bad!

Nope, on the nose :(

7 hours ago, New York Fleapit said:

Not a fan?

13 hours ago, New York Fleapit said:

What about the empoyment of thousands of people?

Bridge of Djoum
46 minutes ago, H2 said:

What about the empoyment of thousands of people?

Ah, kinda like the argument, if there is no crime what about lawyers, judges, police, prison officers......

As stated, it exists only so losers can bet. If you banned horse racing they'd find something else to bet on.

1 hour ago, New York Fleapit said:

Ah, kinda like the argument, if there is no crime what about lawyers, judges, police, prison officers......

As stated, it exists only so losers can bet. If you banned horse racing they'd find something else to bet on.

Hardly a comparison, but hey, you can see things anyway you choose.

Bridge of Djoum
1 hour ago, H2 said:

Hardly a comparison, but hey, you can see things anyway you choose.

Well. Another way of looking at it is if gambling were banned on horse racing, it'd die. No one turns up or watches the nags in the hope of seeing their favorite horse or stable winning, It's primary, if not sole purpose is gambling. Take away betting in the vast majority of other sports and the sport is completely unaffected. 

3 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

Well. Another way of looking at it is if gambling were banned on horse racing, it'd die. No one turns up or watches the nags in the hope of seeing their favorite horse or stable winning, It's primary, if not sole purpose is gambling. Take away betting in the vast majority of other sports and the sport is completely unaffected. 

Completely unnafected? Really? Haven't you noticed the gambling industries foothold in football? I reckon the industries contribution is going to be collectively larger than that of Sky and BT. Football would survive without it but it would take a large hit.

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, IronJambo said:

Completely unnafected? Really? Haven't you noticed the gambling industries foothold in football? I reckon the industries contribution is going to be collectively larger than that of Sky and BT. Football would survive without it but it would take a large hit.

Football would survive just fine without gambling firms. 

3 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

Football would survive just fine without gambling firms. 

You can't pretend there wouldn't be a huge financial hit if they disappeared. At least half of the EPL are sponsored by bookies. Look at the advertising boards on Sky/BT during live matches. Look at the adverts before, in the middle, and at the end of matches. 

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, IronJambo said:

You can't pretend there wouldn't be a huge financial hit if they disappeared. At least half of the EPL are sponsored by bookies. Look at the advertising boards on Sky/BT during live matches. Look at the adverts before, in the middle, and at the end of matches. 

Ok.

The point still stands though. Horse racing exists only to gamble on, other sports do not. And I think we can both agree the EPL is canny enough to find other sponsors if betting companies pulled out.

20 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

Absolutely no doubt that horse racing is underpinned by gambling and wouldn't last without it. But there are plenty of fans of the sport who rarely or ever have a bet on it. I enjoy horse racing, know not much about it and don't consider myself to be a massive fan of it, but I will still regularly watch without having a bet.

2 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

Ok.

The point still stands though. Horse racing exists only to gamble on, other sports do not. And I think we can both agree the EPL is canny enough to find other sponsors if betting companies pulled out.

I'm only interested in the gambling side of any sport to be honest. Where there's sport there's money to be made.

Bridge of Djoum
9 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Absolutely no doubt that horse racing is underpinned by gambling and wouldn't last without it. But there are plenty of fans of the sport who rarely or ever have a bet on it. I enjoy horse racing, know not much about it and don't consider myself to be a massive fan of it, but I will still regularly watch without having a bet.

I respect that. I'd suggest you're in a pretty small minority though.

Bridge of Djoum
9 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I'm only interested in the gambling side of any sport to be honest. Where there's sport there's money to be made.

You're only interested in the gambling side of football?

28 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

You're only interested in the gambling side of football?

I enjoy watching it but my attention span goes if I've not got a vested interest. I've outgrown the irrational emotions of football, it can no longer make or break a weekend for me. I'll generally watch a match that I've got in an accumulator which could be one of 20 or so games. West Ham are about the team I'm that fussed about watching otherwise.

Bridge of Djoum
2 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I enjoy watching it but my attention span goes if I've not got a vested interest. I've outgrown the irrational emotions of football, it can no longer make or break a weekend for me. I'll generally watch a match that I've got in an accumulator which could be one of 20 or so games. West Ham are about the team I'm that fussed about watching otherwise.

Ah I see. Fair enough.

10 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

Ah I see. Fair enough.

I'd consider myself a semi pro gambler though so my views on are probably skewed. I look at a match and just see maths and probability. 

1 hour ago, New York Fleapit said:

Take away gambling the SPFL has no sponsor.

Going back to your original point, " A ''sport"' which only exists so sad ***** can bet. "

Everey one who bets is not a sad *****,

But let's apply your logic, a bet is a gamble, crossing the road is a gamble....... I'm sure you can work that out!

Every choice you make is a gamble.

2 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I'd consider myself a semi pro gambler though so my views on are probably skewed. I look at a match and just see maths and probability. 

You are probably one of teh few who beats the bookies, but I "bet" it takes a fair bit of hard work :-)

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, H2 said:

Take away gambling the SPFL has no sponsor.

Going back to your original point, " A ''sport"' which only exists so sad ***** can bet. "

Everey one who bets is not a sad *****,

But let's apply your logic, a bet is a gamble, crossing the road is a gamble....... I'm sure you can work that out!

Every choice you make is a gamble.

The SPFL would then, just maybe be forced into doing it's job and finding a more suitable and lucrative sponsor. Rather than taking the easy route. 

I genuinely regard people who gamble as pretty sad. It's just something I am absolutely opposed to.

The bit in bold I'll not even attempt to address as it is completely irrelevant. Unless of course you pay to cross the road.

1 minute ago, New York Fleapit said:

The SPFL would then, just maybe be forced into doing it's job and finding a more suitable and lucrative sponsor. Rather than taking the easy route. 

I genuinely regard people who gamble as pretty sad. It's just something I am absolutely opposed to.

The bit in bold I'll not even attempt to address as it is completely irrelevant. Unless of course you pay to cross the road.

Get it wrong corssing the road and you could pay with your life!

One assume you would never buy shares?

Many people who gamble are very happy and enjoy the fun. A day at the races is a smashing day out for millions of people every year.

It is a shame that you judge people to the extent that you refer to them as "sad"

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, H2 said:

Get it wrong corssing the road and you could pay with your life!

One assume you would never buy shares?

Many people who gamble are very happy and enjoy the fun. A day at the races is a smashing day out for millions of people every year.

It is a shame that you judge people to the extent that you refer to them as "sad"

Then we have a difference of opinion. I'm ok with that.

I think I need to clarify my ''sad'' comment before I finish up. Those who are addicted to gambling I find sad. The situation rather than the individual themselves. And I understand having a flutter is fun for many. 

My original, and only point is horse racing exists purely to gamble on. It serves no other purpose. If it was binned, folk would simply continue to gamble on any number of other things and would very quickly forget about the nags.

16 minutes ago, H2 said:

You are probably one of teh few who beats the bookies, but I "bet" it takes a fair bit of hard work :-)

It would be if I did it full time but I have a proper job and just treat it like a hobby. It's taking up more time than it used to but it's worth it for the spoils. It's really just about organisation and bank management.

Rocco_Jambo
On 23/04/2018 at 20:29, New York Fleapit said:

What a load of nonsense.

Horse racing already exists and flourishes as a sport in countries where gambling is already illegal e.g the United Arab Emirates.

Was £820 up for Cheltnam,was out on the piss the last day,bet the last 2 races,2 X £10 singles,forgot to put the £10 double on,both horses win,the double would have got me an extra £1130,still spewing.The morale of the story,don't drink and bet.

On 23/04/2018 at 22:22, IronJambo said:

It would be if I did it full time but I have a proper job and just treat it like a hobby. It's taking up more time than it used to but it's worth it for the spoils. It's really just about organisation and bank management.

Is it just match betting your doing or are you doing other forms of bookie beating?

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Is it just match betting your doing or are you doing other forms of bookie beating?

Don't do much matched betting at all these days, you need to diversify if your want to stay in it longer term. 

Bridge of Djoum
2 hours ago, Rocco_Jambo said:

What a load of nonsense.

Horse racing already exists and flourishes as a sport in countries where gambling is already illegal e.g the United Arab Emirates.

I think you'll find they prefer camel racing. Just my experience from having lived there 6 years.

Rocco_Jambo
2 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

I think you'll find they prefer camel racing. Just my experience from having lived there 6 years.

Whether they prefer horse or camel racing foremost is neither here nor there. Having lived there for 6 years makes your ignorance even more mind boggling.

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, Rocco_Jambo said:

Whether they prefer horse or camel racing foremost is neither here nor there. Having lived there for 6 years makes your ignorance even more mind boggling.

:cornette:

Ignorance?

Have a wee sit down, hen. 

Rocco_Jambo
1 minute ago, New York Fleapit said:

:cornette:

Ignorance?

Have a wee sit down, hen. 

Saying horse racing would cease to exist without gambling and it turns out you have lived in a country for 6 years where horse racing thrives as a sport and gambling is illegal. I'd say that shows a vast degree of ignorance on the topic.